The Heart's Content

By Emeraldlily16

The classic stories of Hans Christian Andersen meet the Southern Charm of Louisiana when a mermaid who's curi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125

Chapter 77

38 0 0
By Emeraldlily16

When Angel and Vaggie arrived at the house, Alastor wasn't quite finished getting everything so they had to wait a little longer. But they didn't mind, Angel was just dying to give Alastor his condoms and get all the details about his new relationship.

"I have been waiting my whole life to give you these." Angel said.

"Angel please, don't make a production out of this." Alastor said.

"Oh no, no you're not going to rob me of my right to gloat."

"Gloat? Gloat about what?"

"About you, and your precious virginity. All through high school, you acted like you were so much better than all of us hormonal boys because you didn't run around, having sex."

Alastor rolled his eyes, he should have expected this.

"Always thought you were so mature and responsible. Thought a man had to be an idiot for him to end up in bed with a girl...Or a guy. But looky, looky, what you've been up to."

"Are you done?"

"Almost. You're no different than any other guy who messes around. It was just a matter of timing for you."

"For your information, we're not just messing around. We're in love."

"Love, huh? Well I didn't expect you to admit to that so easily. So who is she?"

"It's Charlie."

"Well that's no surprise. I've seen the way you look at her." Angel said with a smirk. "And I've gotta say, you've got good taste Smiles. Although I don't really go for her type."

"And what exactly is wrong with her type?" He said sounding a little irritated.

"Oh no, there's nothing wrong with Charlie. She's a cool chick with a hot ass."

"How's this? You talk about her ass again and I break your neck." Alastor threatened.

"Whoa! Take it easy lover boy, I'm just saying that I don't usually go for sweet and perky dames, they don't work for me. Reminds me too much of my sister."

"Oh...In that case, sorry for overreacting back there."

"Forget about it." Angel brushed off. "So when did you two do it? And how did you do it? Missionary position right? I can't imagine you going for any of the rough stuff, at least not while you're a first timer."

"We've been through this Angel. I am not discussing my physical relationship with you. It's none of your business and it's disrespectful to Charlie."

"You're no fun." Angel huffed. "Alright then, at least tell me how you ended up falling for her?"

"I honestly can't say." Alastor said as he checked the gumbo on the stove. "But it's the strangest thing, from the moment I met her I've had this odd feeling that I know her. That I've met her once before. I felt this instant connection and the more I was around her, the stronger it grew. I can't pinpoint the exact moment I fell in love with her, all I know is ever since she's come into my life, everything is so different. She makes me look at things differently, she sees beauty everywhere she looks and she has me seeing beauty in things that I've been blind to. And it's like she knows me better than I know myself. I can tell her anything, I don't have to hide anything from her. I don't have to pretend to be happy with her."

"Wow you really are in love."

"I am, and it's in a way I never thought was real. I want to be around her every hour of everyday, I think about her all the time, and the idea of never seeing her again drives me crazy. Oh God, what am I saying? I sound like a stalker."

"No I've heard stalkers speak and you don't sound like any of them. You sound like any person who falls in love for the first time. Which is why the first break up is going to hurt really bad."

"First break up? What are you talking about?"

"Well Vaggie told me that she's just here for the Summer. When Summer is over, she's going home right?"

That's when the train of reality finally pulled into the station known as Alastor's brain. That's right, as soon as the summer ended Charlie would be going back home. Back to that stupid commune where everyone treated her like an outcast and didn't appreciate how truly wonderful she was. Why would she even want to go back? Wasn't she happier here with him? She had told him how lonely and unhappy she was at home, and how she felt more accepted and loved here.

Also he didn't want her to go. He loved her, she had brought out sincere feelings of joy in him that he hadn't of known since his mother died. He wasn't so repressed and isolated anymore. He felt like he finally found someone that he could go to for support. Someone who he didn't always have to be strong in front of. Someone who he could cry in front. Someone who he couldn't imagine continuing his life without.

"I had forgotten about that little detail." Alastor said turning down the stove.

"Yeah that's the worst part about Summer Love. It only lasts for the summer."

"But it doesn't have to."

"Sure it does. Summer doesn't go year round you know. If it did, I could get away with wearing speedos in public twenty-four seven, three-hundred sixty five."

"No you idiot, I mean my relationship with her doesn't have to end. So she has to go home when summer is over, that doesn't automatically mean we're over, right?"

"I don't know. Long distant relationships don't always work out. It never worked out between me and my old lovers if they moved to some far off place."

"Angel it didn't workout because they moved to get away from you."

"Hey not all of them did it to get away from me. And that's besides the point. If she lives somewhere that's miles and miles from where you live, there's a slim chance of you two continuing this romance you have."

"Well who says that she has to leave anyway?"

"Vaggie said so."

"But she doesn't really have to leave. She's a grown woman, her family can't force her to go back if she doesn't want to."

"True but where is going to live? How is she going to live? Vaggie says that she doesn't have a job."

"She could live with me. And I could teach her to keep house or help her find work somewhere. I'd look after her and make sure that she has everything she needs. I would be very good to her."

"Al it almost sounds like you're thinking about marrying this girl."

"Well..." Alastor paused, giving the matter a little thought. "Maybe I am."

Angel looked at him gobsmacked.

"You can't be serious. You're actually thinking about marrying a woman who you've only known for a month and a half?"

"You almost married a man in Vegas who you only knew for two days."

"Yeah but at the last minute I came to my senses."

"No you didn't. Your sister and I had to forcibly drag you out of the chapel because you were too drunk to listen to reason."

"Well when I sobered up the next morning, I realized that I almost made a big mistake. And you might be in the process of doing the same."

"I'm only thinking about marriage Angel, I'm not going to make any plans right now. It's all just hypothetical thinking. But you were right when you said that I always did want a wife and a family. I just never thought I could have one. Until I met Charlie that is."

"In that case, far be it from me to stand in the way of your happiness buddy. I just hope you don't do anything stupid."

"Oh really Angel, this is me you're talking to, and you know that I always think before I act."

"So that means you're going to do a lot of thinking on this subject, right?"

"Of course. Now do me a favor and go tell the ladies that dinner is ready."

"You got it."

...

As for the girls, they chose to wait outside for their meal. Beth ran around trying to catch fireflies while Charlie and Vaggie sat on the porch, talking and watching the sun set over the ocean.

"So how have things been going lately?" Charlie asked Vaggie.

"As good as I can make it I suppose." Vaggie sighed. "Valentino is getting more brutal."

"How brutal?" Charlie inquired.

At first Vaggie couldn't answer, she could only make a look of embarrassment appear on her face. Embarrassment and shame. The kind that a person makes when something devastatingly horrible and humiliating has happened to them and they don't feel comfortable discussing it.

"If you don't want to talk about it, I understand." Charlie said. "I'll change the subject."

"No, I don't mind telling you about this." Vaggie said. "Valentino's circus is losing customers and that's making him more desperate. So desperate, that the last time I performed for an audience, he stripped me."

A horrified expression appeared on Charlie's face.

"He stripped you in front of a bunch of people?"

"Yep. Stripped me down to my underwear, and he may have done worse if Angel hadn't of gotten me out of there."

"Angel was there?"

"Yeah. He grabbed me, carried me out of the tent, and brought me back to his place. Now he's bound and determined not to let me go back to Valentino."

"But that's a good thing right? You don't want to go back to him, right?"

"Of course not. But I have no choice, you know that. He has my soul remember?"

"Oh...Does Angel know that?"

"Yes. He knows everything. I told him the whole truth last night."

"So he knows your a fairy?"

"Yes."

"Did you tell him about me?" Charlie asked, about to panic.

"No. I only tell my secrets, not other people's." Vaggie reassured her.

"Thank you for that." Charlie sighed in relief. "So how did he react when you told him that you weren't human?"

"Actually, better than I expected."

"So he didn't scream?"

"No he screamed. Screamed and fell over, but other than that, he adjusted to it very quickly. He didn't try to call the police or the government, he didn't talk about using me for money, and he didn't treat me like I was a freak. Honestly, it was a nice change to how humans normally react when they find out what I am."

"And you're still good friends?"

"Apparently. He's still trying to keep me from Valentino."

"Really." Charlie thought for a moment. If finding out Vaggie was a fairy didn't bother Angel, then maybe there was a chance she could tell Alastor she was a mermaid and everything would be fine. Maybe he would understand and accept her. Maybe nothing would change.

"Angel is sweet, but he's stupid." Vaggie said.

"Come again?" Charlie said, putting her own problems on hold.

"I appreciate him trying to help me, I really do. But he foolishly thinks that he can beat Valentino. But nobody can beat him, and if Angel tried to do it, Valentino will kill him. Or worse."

"Worse? What could be worse than- Nevermind. I actually don't want to know."

"I keep trying to talk sense into him but he refuses to listen. He thinks just because he beat his drug addiction, he can do anything."

"Well, can't he? I'm no expert on human trials but I'm pretty sure beating an addiction is a huge one. An almost impossible trial to some."

"Well yes. Yes it is painfully difficult to beat any addiction and Angel should be very proud that he succeeded. But Valentino is not an addiction. He's Satan in the flesh. Only God could beat him, and why he hasn't, I don't know."

"Maybe God is trying to give someone like Angel an opportunity to beat him?"

"Charlie I just told you that Angel can't beat him."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I can't beat him! Husk can't beat him! Nobody who has ever gone against him has ever been able to beat him! What makes Angel any different?"

"Maybe it's because you all tried to beat him by yourselves. Did you ever try to work together?"

"No but it wouldn't change anything."

"If you never tried then how do you know? And if you;re so worried about Angel getting hurt, then I'll help him."

"No!"

"Vaggie I can't let this go on. You're my friend and you're a good person, you don't deserve to spend the rest of your life as a slave. The next time you and Angel are alone, I want you to tell him about me and that I want in on helping you escape."

"You're crazier than he is! You can't get involved! You're mermaid! Do you have any idea what Valentino would do to you if he ever found out that you were a mermaid?!"

"He wouldn't be able to do anything to me. You say he can't own anyone unless they give up their soul to him. I haven no soul. I'm safe."

"And you don't think he's thought of that? There was a time when Valentino hunted merfolk, and he used magic to construct a special net and tank that would hold any mermaid or merman no matter how strong or powerful. He may not be able to own you but he can certainly catch you and hold you prisoner. "

"But he won't own me. I'll be able escape easily."

"No! No! We are done talking about this! I already have one person risking his life for me even though it's futile, I'm not going for two! I will not have that on my conscience!"

"But Vaggie-"

"Let it go! Please!"

"Hey what's with all the yelling?" Beth asked walking in on the argument. "You two get real
crabby when you're hungry or something?"

The two women dropped everything instantly and changed their tones.

"Everything is fine Beth." Charlie said. "I guess we're getting a little impatient. Let's go inside and see if supper is ready."

Beth wasn't sure if Charlie was telling the truth or not. But she chose to believe her, feeling that now would not be the right time to bring up a difficult matter. But that didn't mean she wouldn't bring it up later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 1.1K 50
~A/N: I suck at summaries but I promise it's worth to check out!~ Charlie has the impression that this is her first time meeting the famous Radio Ove...
37.9K 1.6K 78
An innocent and gentle-hearted beauty, a deranged and blood-thirsty beast, the timeless fairy tale retold in a much darker atmosphere where the main...
2.1K 109 76
Charlie Morningstar only wrote to novelist Rosie Parish, to ask for advice on writing her own book. But instead she was invited to spend a few days a...
137 5 5
On one fateful night during winter of 1924, (Name) encountered one of New Orleans most famous radio show hosts, Alastor, and the two fell deeply in l...