Better Together

By anamika_writes

Aadarsh Sehgal plays many roles in his life. A businessman running the Sehgal & Sons construction company. Th... More

~ prelude ~
1 | lost
2 | meet
3 | ride
4 | introduction
5 | bro time
6 | proposal
7 | family
8 | conversation
9 | beginning
11 | a date
12 | fitting
13 | engagement
14 | unexpected
15 | a long night
16 | communication
17 | daughter
18 | feelings
19 | married
20 | walk & talk
21 | new home
22 | the father
23 | changes
24 | unforseen
25 | apology
26 | outsider
27 | spark
28 | bicker
29 | pillow talks
30 | responsibility
31 | tease
32 | hem and haw
33 | hankering
34 | aftermath
35 | moment
36 | new hope
37 | in love
38 | storm
39 | warmth
40 | affection
41 | longing
42 | knowing
43 | perfect
44 | inevitable
45 | walk & talk 2.0
46 | retrospect
47 | helpless
48 | lightning
49 | brontide
50 | thunderstorm
51 | convenience
52 | long day
53 | fervid feelings
54 | guilt
55 | burning bridges
Creative Corner (50K votes!)
56 | change of heart
57 | reverie
58 | turmoil
59 | overpowered
60 | Unchained
61 | essence
62 | romance
63 | ardour
64 | coquetry
65 | insatiable
66 | yearning
67 | union
68 | dilemma
69 | mutual
70 | awakening
71 | past & present
72 | peace
73 | kidnapped
74 | disappointment
75 | crisis
76 | revelation
77 | bitter or better

10 | intricacies

15.9K 1.4K 316
By anamika_writes

Haven't proofread, please feel free to point out typos or errors if any.

Chapter 10 : intricacies 

"Are you on earth Bhai? Are you in a semi sleep state or lucid dreaming or something like that? Wait, have you been just drinking or something else too?" Abhi asked seeing his brother in a dazed state.

"Hold your horses man, I was just cherishing a moment of peace that is now gone." Aadarsh sighed, picking up the glass and downing the remaining contents.

His brother patted his thigh. Aadarsh narrowed his eyes at him. "What?" Was it too much to ask for a moment of peace? 

"Move over, I want to sit." Abhi ordered.

"Sit on the other chair." Aadarsh said pointedly.

"Nope. I want to sit next to you, right here." Abhi said starting to push his brother.

"When will you grow up?" Aadarsh sighed, shifting to the edge of the lounger so that Abhi could sit beside him. It had been this way since the childhood. Abhi would demand and he would have no option but to submit.

"I should be the one asking you that." Abhi muttered, stretching his legs. His shoulder bumped into his brother's, the side of their hips were pressed against the other's.

"This is uncomfortable," Aadarsh spoke, turning to get up.

"No, don't go away!" Abhi remarked and looped his arm around his brother's and rested his head on his shoulder.

"Are you for real?" Aadarsh muttered irked. "What's got into you?" Aadarsh hated it when his brother got all touchy-feely.

"What we did this as kids! Now, you don't even hug me. Remember you used to carry me around the house when we were kids."

"When you were a baby." Aadarsh corrected. "You were half my size back them, now you're as tall as me and as a matter of fact heavier than me." Aadarsh replied.

"Shut up and let me bask in some brotherly love." Abhi said looking up at the sky.

"Why aren't you wearing a sweater? You'll catch a cold." Aadarsh spoke noticing that his brother just had a full sleeve t-shirt on. 

"I didn't expect to find you here. I wasn't prepared to come outdoors."  Abhi answered.

Aadarsh turned to his brother. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it should be right, you're the one in-charge, everything has to be okay." Abhi said.

Aadarsh sat wordlessly. He might not be as good as his mother was at figuring out people's feelings but he was good enough to know that his brother was not entirely okay.

"You remember, when we were kids, you used to treat me like a prized possession. Your baby brother."

"Yep, I was a four year old, who hadn't realized I had to share my parents with you." Aadarsh dead-panned. 

Abhi gave a light punch on his brother's arm. "They are my parents too."

"Maybe. You know, I don't really remember Maa carrying you. So for all you know, you might have been..."

Another smack landed on Aadarsh's arm. He had said it so many times before that Abhi was adopted and just because he knew it irritated Abhi every damn time, he said it again. It still got him the same reaction from him, and Aadarsh used it every damn time, just to get satisfaction from his brother's reaction.

"You should stop lying. There are so many pics of me in Maa's tummy on your birthday. And from what I have heard you were the most excited about my homecoming."

"Pfft, now I have another baby brother. Sorry, you got to move on." Aadarsh replied.

Abhi laughed. His brother's humor was so twisted. "I envy Niru boy sometimes. He's the baby brother for two of us. That's so much brotherly love for him."

Aadarsh chuckled.

"I miss Maa and Papa." Abhi said, then added with a wishful sigh, "I wish they were with us. It was such a big day today...for you, for this family. But they were both missing."

"I miss Maa too." Aadarsh said in a hushed tone. Saying it aloud made him feel a little lighter.

Abhi smiled. "She would have been stoked. Her favorite son is ready to get married and all."

Aadarsh smiled. He agreed to that.

"Let's bring Paa here for your engagement, please," Abhi suggested.

Aadarsh let out a deep sigh. "Abhi, you know..."

"I know, I know. But please. It's been a while, we've seen him. Plus, he deserves to be a part of our happiness."

"He may not even recognize us. And it's going to affect Nirvan and Mukti. The man doesn't remember them anymore."

"I know. But we can try, please. Maybe being with us will make him better."

Aadarsh sighed. Abhi used to be a daddy's boy. When they were young, everytime they both fought, his mother would take Aadarsh's side while his father would be on Abhi's. 

"Abhi, it won't be fair to Nirvan and Mukti. Plus, I don't think I would want that man to be there anywhere around us."

"You..."

"Nope. End of discussion!"

Abhi sighed and then wearing a frown looked up at the sky. Aadarsh held his hand. "I am sorry, but I think it's the right thing."

"Hmm, so what about your fiancée? Are you guys going out, date or dinner?"

"Abhi, not again." Aadarsh muttered pulling back his hand.

"What not again?" Abhi asked. "You need to at least get to know her. Not asking you to take her on a romantic date ...but at least take her on a 'let's-get-to-know-each-other' kinda date."

"It's an arranged marriage. We'll have the whole lifetime to get to know each other."

"Agreed but you must discuss certain aspects right? I mean what if she gives you a divorce after a few months and takes half your wealth as alimony? What if that's her end goal?"

"She's entrusting me with the right to be her daughter's father. She won't do that. Why do you always project her in a such a negative light?"

"Prepare for the worst, hope for best, that's what I live by!"

"Ok, so let's consider this. Even if she does want a divorce she can't get much from me because legally all the assets belong to all five of us, including the company. Trust me, Nirvan and Mukti are richer than I am on paper."

Abhi chuckled. "You thought that through right?"

"Well, one has to be prepared for the worst." Aadarsh shrugged.

"We are not so different after all. By the way, what was with her uncle trying to hint at Arti's marriage? I swear I won't do an arranged marriage. Besides, she's not my type."

Aadarsh chuckled. "Ignore him."

"Looks like you're not too fond of your uncle-in-law. Bua told me..."

Aadarsh turned his head to look at his brother squarely. "Told you what?"

"That..." Abhi said looking him in the eye.

Aadarsh drew out a breath through his lips. "I am your brother, been with you since the time you were born. And I most definitely am aware that this vague talking is something you picked up from that movie... where Katrina Kaif was a deep sea diving instructor. This tactic won't work on me."

"Zindagi Naa Milegi Dobara, Bhaiya. All you remember is Kat. She didn't even have that much of a role as the other three men."

"Not the point." Aadarsh muttered. Katrina was attractive. He had totally liked her character in that movie. The only part in the movie he liked was with her screen presence.

"Yeah, well, Bua told me that uncle Khatri proposed that you marry his daughter instead."

"Oh that."

"Yes, that. That's such a big red flag."

"Not for Ruhaani. Her uncle, yes. I don't like that man or trust him an ounce."

"Yeah, Bua doesn't either. However, Bua seemed to like Arti. I told her to go ahead and get Arti married to her own NRI son. Not to even think of me. I am telling you right now, I am going to only marry when I fall in love. I am listening to no one when it come to marriage and all. It's my right to chose my life partner."

"Understood."

"Even if Ruhaani influences you to influence me to marry her sister, you do no such thing. I hope we are very clear?" Abhi added.

"Crystal, Abhi. But seriously, you really think a woman can influence me to do something?"

"I have heard men change after marriage, so I am making it clear while you're still unmarried. Don't want to take a chance."

"You're crazy." Aadarsh sighed.

"Not as much as you." Abhi muttered, "is it just me or the wind is more strong now?"

"Come on let's get inside." Aadarsh said getting up. 

"Can I sleep with you?" Abhi requested.

"No way. I need my space." Aadarsh dismissed his request.

"Please, then you'll get married and then ..." Abhi sighed dramatically.

"Cut the drama, Abhi. Not working."

Abhi got to his feet and walked around to his brother. 

"On a serious note, go out with her few times. At least to make sure she's legit not a con woman."

"You should stop investing yourself in bollywood, it's corrupting your brain." Aadarsh muttered as they walked out of the terrace into the elevator.

"And you should seriously invest some time in knowing your bride because marriage doesn't work like a business deal or contract. You need to show a little bit of thoughtfulness. A little bit of effort to understand the other person. That's the bare minimal in any sort of relationship. Even one that doesn't have love."

Aadarsh listened to his brother's advice thoughtfully. Abhi may be dramatic and may be inclined towards exaggerating facts almost all of the times, but his advice was sound. Aadarsh knew Abhi was only looking out for him.

* * *

"See, her Bua said something about Aadarsh's mother's bridal dress. We will tell them that Ruhaani is inclined to wear that for the wedding. For the engagement, I think Ruhaani still has the saree from her previous wedding. I will ask her to get that altered. So the dresses  are sorted. We won't have to spend anything much there." Ruhaani heard her aunt say.

She halted her steps and stood outside her aunt's room with the tray in hand. She had just returned from office. On her uncle and aunt's insistence she had quit her second job. Her aunt wanted her to spend some time on herself to become desirable. Suddenly her aunt was considered about the dark circles under her eyes, her sun tan, her hairstyle and almost everything that was wrong with her appearance. 

Ruhaani didn't know if she should be grateful that her aunt cared or be repulsed by the fact that her aunt cared now because she was to be wedded. Her aunt's other agenda was improving her cooking skills. So now the evening tea and dinner was her responsibility. 

"What about the wedding ring? If we spend so much on Ruhaani's wedding then how will we get Arti married with all that we have planned?"  She heard her uncle's voice.

Eavesdropping on the conversation of other people was not morally right. But Ruhaani had made it a habit. It wasn't a habit she was proud of but she was neither sorry for it. She had to always look out for herself since she was young. It had taken a couple of year for her to realize that her aunt and uncle didn't love her as much or even half of how much they loved their own daughter. 

Her father's home and wealth had gone to her grandmother after his death, including the little the insurance company had paid. Her grandmother had entrusted her uncle to take care of her and transferred all those assets to him. However, greed had changed her uncle. He paid for her school and collge but did not send her to institutions half as good as the ones he sent his daughter too.

Arti always got the best gifts on her birthdays–toys, books, cycle, games. But Ruhaani was generally given necessities like a pair of new clothes, or hair accessories or in rare occasions books. It made her bitter initially but with years she got used to it. She learned to be smart enough to expect nothing, to be prepared to get nothing.

"Aadarsh told you, he'll take care of the expenses, right?" She heard her aunt's voice.

"Yes he did. But still there will be expenses. He won't pay for the ceremonies we do as the bride's family. If we don't call people will talk about how we don't treat her well. Then there's this engagement ring and gifts we will have to buy."

"God help us! We will have to do all of this a second time." Her aunt said. "Wait, the wedding ring... I think Ruhaani has the ring she had given to Harsh. Her mother-in-law threw out every item that belonged to her. I will talk to her to get that polished and we can use that ring. Anyways it was meant for her husband. Now, Aadarsh will be her husband."

Ruhaani parted her lips letting air escape. For a few seconds she found it hard to breathe. How could they be so unfair to her? Was it so hard for them to treat her like their own daughter or even half as good as that? 

She pushed open the door and walked in with the tray. 

"Tea is here," she announced.

"Did you get the biscuits?" Her aunt asked as she tried to look up at the tray.

"Yes," Ruhaani forced herself to smile. 

"Did Arti comeback?" Her aunt asked.

"No, not yet." Ruhaani answered.

Her aunt shook her head. Ruhaani quietly began making her way out if the room when she heard her aunt sigh, "I don't understand that girl. When she should be planning her own baby she's taking other's kids around."

Ruhaani blinked and left the room. Arti was very fond of Pari. Just as much Pari was fond of her aunt. At least her aunt and uncle had a soft spot, however tiny, for Pari. They treated her well. Maybe it was a matter of time. As soon as she would grow up they'd treat Pari no different. However, Ruhaani was glad that she would move away with Pari. She didn't want Paro to grow up and understand how fake they were. It was heartbreaking to come into terms with realities such as this. 

She walked to her room forgetting the cup of chai that she had left for herself in the kitchen. She looked the door of the room and opened her cupboard. She took out the tiny box that had tiny items associated with Harsh. His wallet with her picture in it. His wedding ring. The watch she had gifted to him on their wedding day. His handwritten letter that he had given in person to her before leaving for his duty. A letter where he promised to write to her, to come back soon. 

She picked up the letter and unfolded it.

Dear Ruhaani,

Since you said writing letters would be cute, here's my first. I wanted to give it to you in person. I wanted to see your face when you read it. I am hoping it will make you smile.

In these few days we've spent together, I have realized how lucky I am to get someone like you. Your hopefulness, your courage and your kindness are the most beautiful ornaments you wear. Always wear them. 

I know it's not right on my part to leave you behind. At a time when we should have been going on our honeymoon, I am going back to my duty. It's important for me to go, Ruhaani.

I also wanted to say, thank you for understanding my passion for what I do. Not everyone understands. I am glad you not only understand but support it. 

Our marriage is new and we've hardly got to know each other. There's a whole life ahead of us, I know. Still, I promise I will try to write letters to you. I don't read romance like you but I will try my best to keep my letters entertaining and less of a journal. :)

I hope we fall in love one day. 

Yours truly,

Harsh.

 She smiled. The day she had read the letter with Harsh watching her, minutes before he was to leave for the railway station. She had hoped too— that she'd eventually fall in love with him. 

She sighed and folded the letter putting into the box. Her fingers picked up the gold ring. It was a simple ring with a tiny diamond embedded in the band. She recalled how she had used all her savings to purchase it back then, and how she had pleaded with her aunt to grant her permission to buy the ring.

She couldn't forward the ring to Aadarsh. It wouldn't be right. This marriage was real. It was not a sham. It might be her second but it was his first. She looked at the ring with a long face. She had some savings in her account. She could pull out some of the money for a ring but it wouldn't be enough. 

She wouldn't be surprised if the Sehgals bought her a solitaire ring. They would most definitely spend well on the ring and other things. 

Harsh was gone. There was no point holding onto the ring. She decided to exchange the ring and put in some extra money so she got something better. It wouldn't be right to not give Aadarsh a cheaper ring. It was the only thing she was giving. 

She quickly put the box inside, making sure to hide it well. She picked up her phone from the nightstand, deciding to text him. She stared at the blank message screen. She couldn't ask his ring size on the text, could she? Maybe a call would be more appropriate? But what if he was busy, in office or in a meeting? 

She kept the phone back. She sat thinking over it. A text shouldn't be disturbing. She picked up her phone again.

She was still trying to compose a amessage when a message came from his side.

"Let's meet tomorrow evening for coffee?" She read aloud. She blinked and then re-read every word. It was slightly difficult to digest. Aadarsh didn't seem the kind who'd go for a coffee date. 

"Sure," she started typing and then added, "where?"

He sent a link to a location. She opened it on her Maps app to find out it was called Jugnu Cafe. She reacted with a thumbs up icon and further wrote, "time?"

"Does six work for you?"

Ruhaani thought over it. She usually reached home these by six these days. Maybe she could leave a bit early tomorrow? She went back to the Maps to see where the Cafe was. It was closer from her office. 

"Six works."She replied.

"Great! I can pick you up...

 "No not needed. I will drive from work directly."

"Okay, See you there then :)" 

Ruhaani stared at her screen. Her gaze fixated on the emoticon. She scrolled through the chat window. Yes, her guess was right. He never used a emoticon before. She exhaled sharply.

"See you!" She typed and the after wondering for about if she should put an emoticon too, she sent the message without any. She shook her head trying not to think about him. About what was the agenda for the coffee meeting. Did he want to discuss the marriage? Maybe about the wedding details. Maybe the venue. Perhaps the guest list. Or their fast coming engagement?  Her mind had racing thoughts.

He was one hell of a mysterious man and she had signed up to be his wife. Life would never cease to keep the thrill and drama in her life. 

• — • — •

Hope you liked the chapter. Looking forward to reading your comments and thoughts.

—Anami!♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2M 496K 70
This book will be under editing from 1st may, I won't take it down but I suggest you all wait till this message is removed |NOT AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE...
49.2K 3.7K 37
A boy who called himself orphan and spends every night sheding tears. Whereas a boy who is living in care of his three elder brothers. A brother who...
165K 10.8K 36
"Was it easy to fall for me even after seeing within the scars I hold?" She asked circling around his palm with her fingers while he was holding her...