Ardence (Book #1)

By __blythe__

Book #1 in the Sinners and Saints Series. A girl meets a guy. He is the man of her dreams. They both fall in... More

Prologue
I
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XVI
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV

V

15 7 0
By __blythe__

Tantalizing scent of coffee wafted in my nostrils making me long and crave for it's bittery sweetness in the crisp cold weather of December.

God if you're hearing this, please make him trip and land on his fingers.

Tucking a few stubborn strands behind my ear. I put my already aching fingers to work again.

It wasn't much. Just a bunch of stuff which needed the principals approval so he could use it to torture us the rest of the year.

Hmm, maybe I should give everyone a heads up..

So far he had let me work on my own without his usual remarks which I was thankful for and hoped it'd be that way until I was out of here.

I was so focused on my thoughts I didn't notice smell of coffee getting stronger around me along with a hint of cologne.

"Are you done?"

I jerked back from table caught off-guard. He caught the chair before it wheeled back and hit him in the face

Taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart I looked over my shoulder at him.

"Yeah, just give me a minute. I'll print them out."

"Hmm, let me see." slowly without removing his hands he leaned over me.

Rich spicy cologne with a hint of coffee hit me making me dizzy when he spoke next to me.

He stayed in that position as he pointed out a few mistakes and corrected them.

A mild breeze flew in through the window scattering my hairs around. My breath hitched in my throat when, gently he pushed few strands behind my ear and moved the rest slowly over my shoulder.

His presence closed in on me as he leaned in slowly. His warm breath tickled the side of my neck

Cold fingers gently touched my bare shoulders from where he had moved my hair away earlier.

My body went rigid under his touch.

Probably just a innocent move. No need to overthink things. He'll move away any second now.

Yeah. That's probably it.

Tracing a small 'o' his fingers moved around in circles as he lowly hummed looking at the screen.

Or not..

A shiver ran down my spine as his nails carefully grazed the top of my skin.

Where was he going with this?

Just as I gathered enough courage to tell him off, his touch was gone.

Exhaling deeply he left the chair and abruptly moved back to his table. "They're good."

Shaking out the chill his hot breath had left on me, I printed out the papers. Avoiding eye contact I left the papers on his desk and hurried out of the room.

I didn't even realise I was holding my breath until I exited the room. Taking a few deep breaths, I walked into the nearest washroom.

Just like I thought, my entire face was burning up.

My mind still in a daze unable to process anything.

If it wasn't for the way my skin broke out in goosebumps or the faint scratch marks on my shoulder I'd have thought I imagined the entire thing.

Splashing my face with cold water I hoped it'd reduce the blush. Taking a few more deep calming breaths I leaned my back against the counter.

Tying my hairs back up in a ponytail, I tried not to give the incident much thought. It was some stupid move on his part to scare me.

It's not like he would kill me or anything.

Closing my eyes I recalled the number times he had yelled at me in class. Immediately all of my thoughts sobered up as the anger took over.

Good enough.

Brushing my bangs out of my eyes, I walked back into the hallway just as the bell went off indicating the second period.

**********
The rest of the day passed by pretty uneventful.

Walking out of the building, I let my eyes roam around as the evening sun cast a golden shade across the campus when my eyes fall on the curly haired boy who waves me over with a smile.

Returning his smile, I walk closer to where he's standing leaning against his bike.

"Hey, I didn't see you in class today."

"I came in late by the time I got there the class had already and I didn't want to disturb the everyone .."

"Hmm, do you have any plans for the evening ?" He said leaning on his elbow.

"No, I'm free actually. I was just heading home."

"Alright then, hop on." passing me a helmet, he swung his leg over the bike.

"wait, are we going somewhere ?" huffing I moved my hairs, which were growing frizzier by the minute, out of my eyes

"Yes Ms. Granger. Now hop on already."

Placing the helmet over my head I sat behind him.

"Okay but at least tell me where we're going."

The bike roared to life beneath me. Smirking he turned around to face me.

"I'm in a mood for ice cream. How about you ?"

After few minutes of driving he pulled over near a local ice cream shop.

It was buzzing with customers inside. After asking me what flavour I preferred, he asked me to go find a table while he got the order for us.

Moving around the tables, I picked a secluded table near the window.

Smoothing out my dress I sat down and crossed my legs one over the other and rested my hands on the table and looked around.

That's when I noticed a group of boys from our college sitting directly in my vision.

My nerves spiked up when I noticed Louis sitting with them.

I wasn't the only one who noticed. His eyes were already trained on me. His face darkened as his gaze remained trained on me. His tongue creeped out toying with his bottom lip as his eyes focused on a spot near the tables leg.

What is he even looking at?

When I looked there I noticed the way my skirt flared out in the position I was sitting and his eyes were focused on my legs and not the tables legs.

I looked away.

Unbelievable! I can't even sit down now without being leered at.

What was taking him so long?

Out of all the places we could hangout at, this was what we ended up choosing.

Maybe I should just tell him that my stomach is acting up ..

This was definitely not a good idea. I could still feel his eyes on me.

Why did I agree again?

Maybe I can just leave and call him back later..?

My thoughts were interrupted as a shadow loomed over me

I looked up I noticed Alex. He was holding out my strawberry shortcake ice cream along with his choco chip flavoured one.

Thanking him I took the cup out of his hands. Passing me a cute smile he sat opposite to me.

"What were you thinking about ?"

"Nothing in particular." answering him I dipped my spoon and scooped a generous amount of the sugary goodness on to it.

"Hmm, did that nothing have something to do with a black bag and a grave yard"

He grinned when I gave him a flat look.

"Har. Har. You're hilarious. Point made. I get it. I have a mean resting face. Can we move on?" I licked another spoonful rolling my eyes at him.

How old was this guy? Five?

"Sure, just let me run over whoever that put that frown on your face first."

"I don't think admitting that to a policeman's daughter is a smart move mister." Baiting him with a bite I moved away the spoon just when his lips were about to close around on it.

I licked it clean content with the way annoyance flashed in his eyes.

My earlier discomfort after noticing Louis was gone.

"Your dad's a cop?"

"Yup. The chief of the department and if he hears you talking like that. He's gonna kick your ass."

"Yeah? And what if..

His eyes sparkled with mischief

"I stole his daughter... What's he gonna do then ?"

"I don't know about him but if you try to keep apart from my one true love sweetheart, I'll probably kill you myself."

"With what? Those noodle arms?"

"Oh wow first my face and now my arms. C'mon Alex, that's just body shaming now. Low blow man"

The humour in his eyes never fading as he gives me a once-over

"Hmm, maybe for your size it is."

"You ass!"

He threw his head back laughing when the napkin I threw at him unfolded hallway before pathetically dropping on the table. The deep rumble of his chest only fuelling my embarassment.

I made a disgusted face when he licks his own spoon clean. He laughs noticing the look on my face.

"What ?"

"How can you people even enjoy that flavour ?"

To say he looked offended would be understatement of the century.

"I can ask you the same thing Ms. Shortcake. That thing is just a piece of mashed up bread with a bit of cream and toppings. It's not even a real ice cream for goodness sake." scoffing he nodded his head towards my cup.

"At least it doesn't taste so bitter and weird. I can throw up just by looking at it long enough."

"You think chocolate tastes bitter ?" one of his brow rose almost comically.

"That's a rhetorical question. I'm not even going to bother answering that"

"Oh honey, you never tasted real chocolate ice-cream if you think it's bitter."

Taking my spoon he scooped a bit of his ice cream and extended it towards me. I raised my eyebrows at his action

"I'm not eating that thing. Give me back my spoon."

"Come on, don't be a baby! It's just one bite Liz."

Huffing I let him feed me. Instantly my taste buds go sour. The bitterness along with it's sweetness and smooth creamy texture made me want to gag but I hold it in for his sake and try not to let it show on my face, and with great difficulty swallow it down.

"How was it ?" Ignoring his question I take out a water bottle and gulp it down to wash away the lingering taste of it.

"It's still disgusting, and you can't change my mind." taking my spoon out of his hands I wipe it clean with a tissue before eating again.

He simply rolls his eyes at my behaviour.

After we were done, we leave the cups on the table ready to walk out when I feel a creeping touch on my thighs.

When I turn around it my eyes connect with the dark brown ones shamelessly staring back.

My skin prickles with disgust under his stare

Noticing me not walking beside him Alex turned around walking back towards me.

His eyes moving back and forth between Louis who was still smirking and to me in confusion noticing that something was off.

"Is something wrong ?" I looked at him but he was looking at the Louis.

"Nah man! We're good." he answered back casually as if he didn't just misbehave with me. But I didn't miss the smug look he sent my way.

Not wanting to cause a scene, I grit my teeth and gestured Alex to walk out with me.

What in the hell is up with everyone today!!

Ugh! Bloody assholes!

Immersed in my thoughts I didn't notice the concerned look Alex was giving me.

"What!?" I snap at him. Even though I didn't mean to take my anger out on him.

Noticing my behaviour he raised both hands in surrender.

"Are you sure that was nothing though?" he nodded his head towards the place we just came out of.

"Yeah, it was nothing. Just a misunderstanding on my part"

It wasn't.

Before he could argue I spoke again.

"Listen Alex. This is was fun and all but I'm kinda tired right now. Can you drop me off? Please."

Wordlessly he lifted a helmet, nodding at me to take it while his other hand fastened the other one on top of his head.

Taking the helmet by the straps. I climbed back on top and secured it around my head too as he began driving.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Hey guys, hope you're liking the story so far. If you do make sure to vote and comment and add the book to your library to get notified whenever I update.

Which character do you like so far? And which one do you hate?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.2K 4.5K 62
Help him!? Help the prince of the kingdom that locked me up? Joining that man is the second last thing I want to do. The very last thing is to go bac...
Gold ✓ By Alexa

Short Story

29.5K 1.4K 13
| Rumpelstiltskin Retelling | He placed the knife on her lap and started talking again, "You see the thing is, you're lucky to escape with your life...
207K 1.1K 5
When my sister died, I lost everything. Now I'm looking for answers, but maybe some things are better left buried... ...
152 1 10
"You're the enemy, so why am I so drawn to you..." "When will you grow up and realise fairytales don't exist, we don't get a happy ending Kyl...