Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō

117 7 0
By KageNishi

September 17, 2112

Kanagawa Prefectural Police Headquarters, Yokohama

In response to the attack on the school, an investigation headquarters was set up at the Kanagawa Prefectural Police Headquarters. Since the incident involved an organization of demi-humans, personnel were dispatched from the National Police Agency.

"From the footage captured by surveillance cameras, it was determined that the man believed to be the main suspect was a person named Takuya Yumenaga. He is a demi-human belonging to a rare race, the Dreamer. The others are also all demi-humans registered as the bird humanoid and Hex races. And all of them have ceased to have activity records from the past five to six years."

A Kanagawa Prefectural Police detective presented the information. Officers from other police departments were also remotely participating in this investigative meeting.

"...Perhaps they are the Demi-Human Liberation Front. They are believed to have financial ties to the Black Dragon warlords who control Northeast China, and the Public Security Bureau and the Foreign Affairs Bureau were jointly investigating..."

A detective dispatched from the National Police Agency revealed the name of the enemy organization. At the same time, materials were distributed to the devices of all participating police officers.

The "Demi-Human Liberation Front" is a political advocacy organization that began its activities several years ago. As the name suggested, the organization was made up of a wide variety of demi-humans, and its stated mission is the liberation of the demi-human race, which has been oppressed by humankind for years. Many deposits of unknown origin have been confirmed in the virtual currency accounts of the organization members, and the organization has come to be monitored by the Public Security Bureau due to the danger of its claims.

As the meeting was proceeding, an officer barged into the conference room.

"E-excuse me! A video has just been posted on a video site that appears to be made by the criminal group! I'll connect it to the main screen now!"

The officer touched his wristwatch device and projected the video on the main screen. The video showed Takuya Yumenaga sitting with his bare face exposed, and behind him stand a group of demi-humans, male and female, who appeared to be executives.

"Hello, citizens of Japan, we are the Demi-Human Liberation Front. A quick note... we are certain that we were responsible for yesterday's attack on Yokohama Hisui Gakuen Academy. And we will be launching more activities to achieve our mission."

Yumenaga stood up and continued his words with exaggerated theatrics.

"In this world, the strong triumph over the weak, and that is why 'humanity' can become rulers by surpassing other animals by force of arms in the name of civilization. It is inevitable. But now, humans are NO LONGER the strongest. Just as humans have conquered other living creatures throughout our long history, it is absolutely justified for us to conquer humans too. Therefore, we have made a decision to make a revolution against humans based on that principle."

Yumenaga snapped at the camera and extended his hand toward the other side of the screen.

"Dear demi-human people, let's cooperate and become comrades. Especially you from the Ryūjin race... you, the strongest and most powerful of all, have succumbed to the humans and become a disgrace to our kind. If you want to wipe away this prejudice and regain your pride, take the initiative and cooperate with us. Your precious 'pet' is in our hands too. I hope you will make the right choice... Well then, everyone... see you all soon."

The video ended with Yumenaga bowing his head. His theatrical enjoyment of the crime had caught the officers off guard.

"...Track down the location where this video is immediately! Locate the criminal group and rescue the kidnapped female student as soon as possible!"

"Yes, sir!!"

The investigation meeting was adjourned by the Chief of the Criminal Investigation Department. The officers rushed to their feet and returned to their respective duties.

. . .

Meanwhile

Hasena Family Main Building, Dragon King Village, Suwa City, Nagano Prefecture

The video spread by the Demi-Human Liberation Front was instantly picked up by the news and featured on a wide daytime show. In the main residence of the Hasena family in Dragon King Village, the home of the Ryūjin, Ryuji's parents, Shiori and Kazuma, were stunned in the dining room.

"There's no doubt about it... it's Ryoichi."

"That imbecile son of ours!"

Shiori's voice trembled with anger. The blood of the Daiyōkai gushed around her body, her hair stood on end and sharp fangs peeked out from her mouth.

No wonder they were shocked. The Hasena family had another family member in the released video. Among the executives lined up behind Yumenaga was Shiori and Kazuma's eldest son, Ryuji's older brother, Ryoichi. After entering a university in Tokyo, he immersed himself in a suspicious club, dropped out, and disappeared.

"So this is the strange group he was joining and he seems to be on board with them..." Shiori held her head and grumbled.

As one of the Ryūjin race, which is even now being scrutinized heavily by the government, belonged to a group that had just declared a revolution. Even in the nearly 3.000 years of Japanese history since the Age of Myths, a blood relative was involved in an extremely unusual incident. As the two were pondering the situation, a call screen was projected on the screen along with a ringtone. With the words "SOUND ONLY," the name and portrait of the head of the Hasena family appeared on the screen.

"...Father!"

"...Shiori, you know the situation."

The caller was Shiori's father and the family head, Enishi Hasena. He told them the content of the message straight to the point.

"...The government has requested our cooperation. We must stop Ryoichi. If we receive further instructions from the government, we will contact you shortly. Until then, stay in the village."

"...!! ...Alright. I will definitely stop that imbecile when the time comes."

Shiori was prepared to face her own son. So was the father, Kazuma.

. . .

Ryuji's Home, Yokohama

The Front's declaration of revolution made national news. It was naturally big news here in Yokohama as well.

"...Brother!?"

The heartache of having his precious one kidnapped, and the betrayal of his adored older brother, both of which were exhausting his spirit. He was only 21 years old, even if others called him a "Daiyōkai."

. . .

Somewhere in Tokyo

Meanwhile, the Demi-Human Liberation Front had finished spreading its video and was moving on to its next project in a certain location in Tokyo. The abandoned building that had been their stronghold was already even more a shell of its former self, and they were ready to move their base to the next location.

"...Let's go... That ship will be the trump card of the revolution."

Yumenaga stood up from his chair. On the other side of the chair was the bound figure of Teru. Her face was sparsely bruised and looked very painful.

"Is this little human girl really going to be the tool to stop the Ryūjin?"

One of the Front leaders, Takeshi Homura of the Enma race, looked down at Teru dubiously. She was blindfolded, but she remained resolute, not even trembling a bit in the face of the kidnappers. Originally, the plan was to include her begging for help in the video to more strongly shock the Hasena family, but that plan was foiled when Teru was unmoved by any threats.

"...Tch, the nerve of this brat."

"...I only answer to the members of the Hasena family," Teru insisted.

Yumenaga brought his mouth close to her ear.

"Are you sure? That Hasena family you love so much... they might just leave you to die, you know?"

His sickly-sweet tone pierced her eardrums. But Teru was not fooled by this Dreamer.

"I'm... the servant of the dragon and his loyal dog. If he tells me to die, I'll kill myself anytime... Besides, you are mistaken if you think you can come to this little dog and not expect her to bite back."

"Boo-hoo, how scary, so you're really a loyal dog..."

Yumenaga quickly backed away. He was impressed by the girl's loyalty, but that didn't stop mockery from coming out of his mouth. At that moment, Ryoichi who had remained silent until then, spoke.

"...My stupid brother is very attached to her. My grandfather is too much of a weakling. If she cries, my grandfather can't steel his heart. They are... stuck."

"...Heh, well, if you say so, I guess."

The government has notified the Hasena family of their request for cooperation in putting down the incident. Ryoichi believed that his brother Ryuji would serve as a deterrent to stop the 'family' from supporting the government. And his plan was right on target.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night of the same day

Hasena Family Main Building, Dragon King Village, Suwa City, Nagano Prefecture

Back at the Dragon King Village again. Kazuma, the adopted son-in-law of the family head, was enjoying the night breeze on the second-floor observation terrace where the couple's bedroom is located. He is a member of the Hellhound race, a demi-human that has the ability to transform into a fire-controlling demon canine. Although he was not originally from the village, he was arranged through a marriage with a strong demi-human. Although that's how he was groomed, he and his wife, Shiori, get along well and there are no notable problems in the family. Except for one...

"...I'm sorry about Ryoichi. He knew how much you cared about that human. He took advantage of that."

Kazuma was speaking into a portable terminal placed on a glass table. A holographic display was projected from the terminal, and the on the screen was the image of his son, Ryuji.

"...Father, did you and mother know about brother's whereabouts?" Ryuji asked the question he had been holding in his mind for a long time.

Ryoichi Hasena is Ryuji's own brother, the man who his grandfather, Enishi, once had high hopes for as one of his successors. For Ryuji, his brother was someone he had spent time with since childhood, someone he admired and wanted to become.

"...No, we don't know about him either. We looked for him for a long time, but we couldn't even find a clue."

It was seven years ago, when he entered university, that Ryoichi disappeared. At the time, the disappearance of one of the most powerful demi-humans caused quite a stir within the Japanese government. After all, seven years had passed without any news, and Ryoichi's existence was a memory of the past even within the Hasena family.

"To think he was involved with such dangerous people..."

"...Father, will you fight him?"

"Well, the government has asked us to do so, and above all, it's a massive problem for our family..."

When push comes to shove, they have to stop even their own offspring when they stepped out of the line. Ryuji knew that. But there was a reason why he could not do so.

"I knew it, you're still worried about that human."

"Of course I am! If grandfather doesn't care about Teru's life, then I'll do everything I can to stop him, you, or mother...!"

"...I see."

At Ryuji's revelation of his resolve to stand against his parents and family, Kazuma let out a sad smile. Soon after, they ended their talk. Above the terrace, the sky was full of stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 18, 2112

Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture

The next day, an organization of demi-humans declared war on the Japanese government, causing a stir on a wide variety of TV stations. The name of the organization was mentioned here and there in the mouths of people passing through the city, but the majority of the people were generally going about their daily lives as usual.

"...I didn't know your house is in Yokosuka, Koba. Is that Fusō? That's the first time I've seen it directly like this."

"It's huge, right? That's the world's largest spaceship in both name and reality, and the only space battleship in the world."

Yadoya, Koba, and Hagane were on the deck of the seaside park, leaning against the deck railing and soaking in the view of the Fusō, which was anchored in the harbor of the Imperial Navy facility. The sun was already in the west, but the sea breeze blew pleasantly against their bodies. However, despite the beautiful evening sky, their hearts were as dark as a downpour.

"...Kadoma-san, please be safe."

"If only I can do something... I'm so sorry!"

Yadoya and Hagane regretted the attack. Koba, in particular, had terrible regrets for hesitating to use his power.

"No, Yadoya-san, it's not your fault."

"That's right, I was helpless too. It can't be helped."

The three licked their wounds together in the winds, their hearts filled with worry for Teru.

As the day grew darker, the lights came on in the bay, including the naval facilities. Even the warship Fusō, which never sailed anymore, began to light up.

. . .

Near the Main Gate, Imperial Navy Facility

The flying battleship Fusō, officially called "Atmospheric and Space Super-Dreadnought Battleship," is a legacy from the Japan in an alternate 28th-century universe, which this Japan brought back from the world of Terralus. This flying battleship and her crew were transferred from that parallel universe to Terralus 500 years ago from the time when 21st-century Japan transferred to that world. The Maritime Self-Defense Force discovered the ship, which had been sealed under the permafrost for 500 years, and it became the trump card that led to victory in the final battle in Terralus.

Back on Earth, it was deployed in 2041 against the Russian forces that had sailed to the Kuril Islands, and her electronic attacks, like powerful solar flares, and warning shots that obliterated some of the Kuril Islands caused the Russian forces to retreat. That was the first and last military sortie by Fusō on this planet.

The Fusō was anchored in the port of the Imperial Navy facility, which of course was normally off-limits to civilians. Armed soldiers and cameras keep a close watch at the gates of the naval facility. However, as if taunting the surveillance, there was a car that approached the main gate. One of the soldiers noticed the car. Then three men disembarked from the stopped car and approached the gate, which was closed with impunity, and put their hands on the fence.

"Hey! Halt! This is a restricted area!"

The soldiers on watch admonished them as they tried to pry the door open. But as soon as they saw blue eyes through the hood, their consciousness faded away in an instant.

"...Sleep!!"

"Uhhh!!?"

The three strong Navy soldiers crumpled helplessly to the ground. They groaned in their sleep and fell into a deep slumber.

"Sleep well, dear humans... now, we'll disperse, you stay here and deal with the humans."

"Okay!"

The owner of the blue eyes was Yumenaga. He used his power as a Dreamer to put the soldiers on guard into sleep without question. The ability to manipulate people's sleep and dreams is a special ability possessed by the "Dreamer" race.

Soon after, the abnormal situation was detected in the base's central surveillance room. An urgent message was sent to the radios of the night guards.

"Detecting abnormality at the main gate! Possible intruder! Security guards on patrol, take a security android with you and check the situation on site."

Upon receiving the message, the personnel immediately rushed to the main gate on the side. Inside, things gradually became hectic.

. . .

Fusō's Berth, Imperial Navy Facility

However, as if to ridicule them, the intruders have already infiltrated deep into the naval facility. The sun had already set, and a large bubble-like object emerged from the pitch-dark sea. Then, from within it, which had beached itself at the base, Yumenaga appeared.

Other figures also appeared: a masked birdman carrying the unconscious Teru, a fishman who can operate underwater, a Hex who was present when the school was attacked, and other executives of the Front who participated in the attack on the school. Among them was Ryoichi.

"Well then..."

When Yumenaga looked up, he saw the Fusō berthing in the harbor. It was the world's largest spaceship, over 500 meters in length, and the world's only space battleship.

"...The captain and officers of the Fusō have arranged for most of the crew to leave the ship... except for those who have been captivated by my powers," Yumenaga chuckled.

They then proceed to the boarding deck leading to the Fusō.

"Hush-a-bye~ hush-a-bye~ ...Sleep is the very desire of human beings, can it ever be resisted? And the dream world is the very essence of human desire, and my power to control it has no blind spots."

The power to control dreams, in other words, equals the power to toy with human desire. Using money to find out about Fusō's personnel from the Ministry of Defense, and then manipulating their dreams and desires, they spent a long time preparing the groundwork for the project. And now the fruits of these efforts were coming to fruition.

"Now, let's get on board. This is the symbol of the Japanese Empire's defense... and the new base for the Demi-Human Liberation Front's revolution."

Yumenaga stepped onto the unguarded ramp. Amidst the ripples of the jet-black sea, he felt as if he was climbing the stairs to the king of this world.

"...Wait! Takuya Yumenaga!!"

"...?"

But suddenly, he heard a noise that interrupted his euphoria. He stared in the direction of the voice and saw a light car that had appeared before he knew it, a boy with all his hair down and a whirlwind of magic on his right arm, and a human boy standing next to him.

"Stay away from Fusō!"

"We'll be taking our friend back as well!"

Koba the Kamaitachi and Yadoya the human stood in the way of these demi-humans.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 674 119
Reincarnation of the strongest sword god fanfic when Shi Feng return to the beginning after fighting for ten years in greater God's domain
188K 11K 139
After falling to my death due to poor maintenance on a viewing platform over a ravine, I find myself having an audience with God. In return for my un...
1.8K 86 10
The Reader, The Protagonist, and The Writer Just some happenings on their daily lives cover credit ▶ @BLACKBOX9158 @1L9l2Aa8UCL0IGJ on twitter
35.4K 2.3K 76
A spin on the classic tale of Heroes summoned to defeat the Demon Lord, only the main character is the Demon Lord... who is also one of the Heroes? M...