Full Moon ☾ Derek Hale

By phbdnm90

"How many times can you cheat death?" Hayley McCall has a dark past that haunts her every day of her 17 year... More

cast
Chapter 1: Wolf Moon
Chapter 2: Second Chance at First Line
Chapter 3: Pack Mentality
Chapter 4: Magic Bullet
Chapter Five: The Tell
Chapter Six: Heart Monitor
Chapter Seven: Night School Part 1
Chapter Eight: Night School, Part 2
Chapter Nine: Lunatic
Chapter Ten: Wolfs Bane (Part 1)
Chapter Eleven: Wolfs Bane (Part 2)
Chapter Twelve: Co-Captain
Chapter 13: Formality
Chapter Fourteen: Code Breaker (Part 1)
Chapter Fifteen: Code Breaker (Part 2)
Chapter Sixteen: Omega
Chapter Seventeen: Shape Shifter
Chapter Eighteen: Ice Pick
Chapter 19: Abomination (Part 1)
Chapter Twenty One: Venomous
Chapter Twenty Two: Frenemy
Chapter Twenty-Three: Frenemy (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty Four: Restraint
Chapter Twenty Five: Raving
Chapter Twenty Six: Party Guessed (Part 1)
Chapter Twenty Seven: Party Guessed (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Fury (Part 1)
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Fury (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty: Battlefield (Part 1)
Chapter Thirty-One: Battlefield (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Two: Master Plan (Part 1)
Chapter Thirty Three: Master Plan (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Four: Master Plan (Part 3)
Chapter Thirty-Five: Puzzle Pieces (S2 Bonus Chapter!)
Chapter Thirty-Six: Tattoo
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Chaos Rising (Part 1)
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Chaos Rising (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Fireflies (Part 1)
Chapter Forty: Fireflies (Part 2)
Chapter Forty-One: Unleashed (Part 1)
Chapter Forty-Two: Unleashed [Part 2]
Chapter Forty-Three: Frayed [Part 1]
Chapter Forty-Four: The Frayed (Part 2)

Chapter Twenty: Abomination (Part 2)

999 22 2
By phbdnm90

Chapter Twenty: Abomination (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Never Let Me Go by FATM

The thud of my footsteps echoed off the walls as I made my way through the schools dark and empty hallways. Loud cheers and the blows of the referees whistles could be heard in the far distance as the game continued on. 

My brows furrowed as I approached the main office, finding the door wide open. Gerard's keys were carelessly left lodged in the doorknobs locked. I quickened my pace, entering Gerard's office and looking around to find it unoccupied. 

"Stiles?" I called out in a whisper. I was met back with silence. My brows tightened once more. Stiles may have been stupid, but he was too smart to leave the door open, especially with the keys out of his site. I stepped out of the office and looked around, my eyes finally fixating on the opposite end of the hallway. A shiver slithered down my spine as an overwhelming feeling overtook me that something was wrong. I slowly began walking, feeling gravitated towards the end of the hallway as if it had a spell over me. I finally reached the end, a pair of double doors blocking my way. My mind screamed at me to run away as far as I could as I glared down the silver door handle.  A strong urged flooded my body to open the doors and go into what I noted to be the school's indoor pool. My stomach churned into knots as my hands landed on the door handles, my head cocking as I stared it down. A sickening sense of deja vu was next to wash over me as a heaviness sat on my chest. 

With a deep breath, I swiftly yanked the doors open.

I absentmindedly took a few steps into the pool hall, the deja vu sending tingles through my extremities. The sounds of water lapping echoed slowly in my ears. The quietness that surrounded me soon faded away as my gaze landed on Derek and Stiles wading in the middle of the pool. 

"Hayley! Get in the pool!" Stiles screamed as my senses finally came back full force. My brows furrowed tightly as I blinked in confusion, taking another couple steps forward. My lips parted, finding myself unable to speak as I noticed something was wrong as Stiles held Derek up in the water. "Get in now!" Stiles yelled.

"Go!" Derek bellowed as he bobbed in the water. A hissing noise echoed throughout the room. I craned my head over to find a large, green, lizard like creature lurking in the corner of the room. Its body was covered in scales with its scaly tail pointed down, signaling it felt threatened. By me. My body came stiff, as if my feet were bolted to the ground. 

"Hayley, go!" A low, guttural hiss slipped through its mouth as the creature and I made eye contact. A shiver slithered down my spine as its beady, yellow eyes observed my every breath. I slowly began shedding my jacket as the creature scraped its razor sharp claws against the floor like a bull. I slowly dropped my jacket to the ground, not taking my eyes off the creature as I did so. The creature suddenly let out a shrill, high pitched scream before it began charging towards me.

"Hayley, run!" Derek shouted.

I gasped, taking off in a run with the creatures ragged breaths close behind me. I leaped into the pool, the cold chlorine swallowing me down to the near bottom. I kicked my legs and arms, pushing myself up to the top. My head broke the surface and I immediately heaved for air. 

"What--what is that thing?" I gasped, wiping the pool water from my eyes. I quickly swam over to where Derek and Stiles were wading.  "Oh god, that's the thing from the service center isn't it?" I questioned to Stiles as I moved wet stands of hair from sticking to my cheeks. Stiles reluctantly nodded.  

"Help me hold him up." Stiles pleaded, his head bobbing under the water as he struggled to keep a hold on Derek. Seeing the confused look on my face as I didn't hesitate to take Derek's arm and wrap it around my shoulder, Stiles elaborated. "It swiped the back of his neck. He's paralyzed." I looked over to Derek, praying what Stiles said wasn't true. 

"It's something on its claws." He stated grimly, avoiding my gaze. I could feel the air deflate in my chest. 

"Okay so we're trapped in a pool by a giant paralyzing lizard." I reiterated, finding it hard for myself to comprehend. "It's got to leave at some point. How long have you two been in here?"

"Long enough to not be able to feel my arms." Stiles retorted. Derek dramatically rolled his eyes. 

"Good to see your face is still working." I quipped. Derek squared his jaw. 

"I didn't find the Bestiary. I got rudely interrupted by someone." He noted, signaling a nod over to the other side of the pool. I followed Stiles gaze to see a girl lying unconscious on the ground, her blonde curls sprawled out across her face. 

"Is she..." I failed to see any sign of life coming from the teen. 

"No. At least not yet. It knocked her out. It hasn't gone back for her." Stiles informed. The three of us froze as the creature stalked towards the pool, stopping right along the edge. My breath hitched in my throat as it reached a clawed hand into the pool. As I begun thinking of any possible way of an escape route, the creature quickly retracted itself from the water as if it had been burned. It backed away from the pools edge.

"Did you see that?" Stiles asked, looking from Derek to me in awe. I nodded. 

"It's scared." I thought as the creature shook off any trace of the water. 

"No... I don't think it can swim." Stiles realized.

☾☾☾

The creature continued to stalk the perimeter of the pool, its narrow eyes watching our every move. Time crept by, with minutes turning into what seemed to be hours. We grew weary, our calves burning and our arms throbbing. Stiles and I took turns passing the majority of Derek's dead weight back and forth. Stiles breaths grew heavier as he became more and more exhausted. Derek had lolled his head back while he attempted to keep it above water. 

"We can't do this much longer." I muttered as the pool water lapped at my lips. "We have to figure out how to get out of here."

"Like we haven't been doing that?" Derek retorted.

"Someone's got to find us." Stiles optimistically thought. 

"No ones here, Stiles! We're the only ones crazy enough to come to the school late at night. Again."

"But the game—"

"The games over. It was halfway done when we left." I sighed, knowing that there was no chance of being found. 

"We gotta call Scott." Stiles urged. I began looking around, frowning. 

"My phones in my jacket." I stared at the hunk of leather lying on the ground halfway between the pool and double doors, "He'd get to me before I'd even reach it."

"Mines..." Stiles thought aloud, his eyes focusing on his phone laying on the ground a few feet from the pool.

"Closer." I realized. Stiles looked over to me, silently questioning if he should chance going after the phone. I shook my head. 

"No, no, no! Don't even think about it!" Derek snapped, realizing where our thoughts were leading us. 

"Would you trust me just this once?" Stiles begged.

"No!" 

"I've been the one keeping you alive, okay? Have you noticed that?" Stiles spat up some water as it crashed its way into is mouth. 

"I'm trying, Stiles!" I retorted, my arm muscles twitching as they grew weaker. 

"Yeah?" Derek huffed. "And when the paralysis wears off, who's going to be able to fight that thing? You, me, or Hayley?"

"That's why we've been holding you up the past two hours?" Stiles shouted. 

"You don't trust me; I don't trust you. You need me to survive which is why you're not letting me go." Derek hissed.

"Listen I agree we need to do something but, Stiles...I can't hold him up by myself. It's not worth the risk." 

"We need something to hold onto." Stiles thought, his eyes scanning the room and falling on the diving platforms hanging over the water. 

"It's going to paralyze us too." I disagreed.

"It wont go anywhere near the water." Stiles believed. "Can you make it?" His eyes darted from the diving platform to his phone, calculating how long it would take. 

"Not without you! Stiles don't even try it! He's dead weight. There's no way I'll be able to hold him up." Stiles looked back and forth repeatedly from me to his phone. He pursed his lips tightly, shaking his head to silently apologize before he proceeded to throw all of Derek's weight onto me. I gasped loudly, my head plunging under the surface as water rushed into my mouth. I wound my arms tightly around Derek's chest, mustering all my strength to push us both back up above the water. Derek gasped for air as we broke above the water, his head lulling back as he helplessly watched as I used all my strength to kick a couple feet. I groaned loudly as I struggled to keep going. The water whipped at my nostrils, reminding me of how close I was to going back under. In a matter of moments, the two of us were back under the surface and began to sink down deeper. Carrying Derek's dead weight was like strapping a weight to my body. Reluctantly, I let go of the Alpha, letting him sink to the bottom. I kicked myself up to the surface, my arms igniting with pain as they glided through the water. 

"Stiles! Help me!" I screamed, hardly able to see where he was through the chlorine clouding my eyes. Taking one last deep breath, I dove back under the water and kicking myself down towards Derek. As numb as they felt, I pushed my arms out and back together, trying to maneuver myself through the water. I finally reached Derek, his eyes plastered on me begging to be saved. My arms wrapped around his chest and arm, trying to pull him up. Derek barely moved an inch. My lungs tickled, urging for me to open my mouth and take a breath. I pursed my lips shut, refusing to open them no matter what. In my peripheral vision, I could see a hazy figure jump into the pool and swim towards us. Stiles swam over to me, grabbing Derek's other arm and draping it over his shoulder. I did the same. The two of us pushed off the pool cement floor and rushed up to the surface.

"Please tell me you got him!" Derek roared, gasping for air.

"Not exactly..." Stiles meekly admitted.

"Stiles!" I screeched, my chest heaving as I took deep breath sin. 

"It's not my fault your brothers an idiot!"

"God damn it." My skin paled.

"No! I am not dying in school!" Stiles refused, spitting up some water.

"You need to try him on my phone." I realized, my eyes zeroing in on my beige jacket as I bobbed up and down with the waters tempo. "Text him 911. He'll answer." I assured with a nod. Derek looked at me with raised brows, concerned for his well being.

"You couldn't hold up Derek last time." Stiles reminded.

"If we don't get ahold of Scott, we're dead. We can't wait for Derek's paralysis to wear off."

"Yes we can." Derek insisted. I looked over to Stiles, ignoring Derek's input.

"We have to hold onto something." Stiles reminded, not that the aching in my joints and muscles was enough of a reminder.

"You're faster than me. I'll distract it and you get my phone. It's in my jacket pocket—just grab the jacket and get it. I'll hold Derek and I up on the platform."

"No! This is a stupid plan!" Derek exclaimed, his eyes darting around to find the creature. "I'm going to drown and Scott's still not going to pick up!"

"Derek! Trust me for like five minutes here! Please!" I barked. Derek's lips puckered in anger. Stiles sighed, raising his head above the water and nodding that he trusted me. We began paddling over towards the front of the pool, occasionally falling under the water. I blinked the water out of my vision, my eyes fixated on the diving platform.

"You got it?" Stiles asked through heavy breaths. His eyes focused on my jacket, seeing that the creature wasn't near it. I had only a few yards, I could make it.

"Go." I ordered. Stiles let go and began racing towards my jacket, splashing water everywhere. Derek's weight dragged down as my legs kicked and I stretched my arm as far as it could, my fingertips grazing against the cold metal of the platforms handle. Pool water pushed at my lips, trying to wander into my mouth. I fully grabbed hold of the handle and pulled the two of us back up from slipping under the water. I let go a sigh and smile of relief as my hand gripped for dear life on the handlebar and Derek coughed up water. 

It didn't last long. 

The creature came up from next to the platform and swiped his claws at me. I gasped, instinctively yanking my hand away and pushing Derek and I away from the platform so we weren't slashed. Realizing what I had done, I quickly took one last gasp as my head slipped under the surface, Derek's not far behind me. My grasp on Derek failed as I unsuccessful tried to get us back to the platform. As hard as I tried pushing just myself back up above the surface, I continued to sink lower, a heavy feeling creeping up my legs. A muted, frustrated scream escaped my sealed lips. My heart sunk into my stomach once I felt my knees hit the bottom of the pool, Derek close beside me. I could vaguely see Derek's eyes staring at me, concerned. I followed his gaze, seeing a red patch of cloudy water pass through my vision. My eyes trailed down, following the tainted liquid seeing that it was coming from a gash in my hand. My eyes grew wide and I felt all hope abandon me, realizing the creature had managed to swipe me and draw blood. That heavy feeling in my legs wasn't just from exhaustion, it was from paralysis. Frantically, I looked up to the surface to find Stiles to no avail. I looked back to Derek in horror, feeling the paralysis trail up from my legs to my thighs. I thought I'd be able to hold my breath long enough for Stiles to come save the two of us, but the burning sensation of my lungs running out of air reminded me I was too optimistic. The temptation to open my mouth, to take the natural relax of breathing began growing stronger. My eyes didn't take themselves off Derek, seeing he was running out of air as well. The two of us were drowning—dying—all because I wasn't strong or quick enough. He had gone through so much, and he was about to meet his match in a school swimming pool. I was to thank for that. Still looking to Derek in fear, that feeling I felt towards him earlier at the train station vanished. I felt hopeless, for the both of us. Feeling a tingling begin to numb my fingertips, I quickly decided to reach my body forward. I cupped Derek's cheek with my numbing hands and pressed my lips against his, blowing the rest of my air supply into his mouth. I tried to enjoy the remainder of the kiss, feeling his soft lips against mine and his skin in the palm of my hands, but all my senses began fading off. My arms and head began to grow heavy. Regretfully, I pulled back. Derek looked to me, his face displaying fear and horror. I'd never seen him exhibit such emotion, but I was fortunate to see it in my last moments. It proved Derek Hale wasn't always a solid rock. All the feeling in my arms and shoulders began abandoning me, sending waves of panic through my body. Fear was lurching in my stomach, waiting for the inevitable. I tried fighting it off as long as possible, but the natural instinct to breathe was too strong for anyone to hold off. My mouth finally opened, water quickly flooding my lungs. My lungs burned like they'd been set on fire with a match. It reminded me when I was a kid and used to go swimming with Scott at the local pool and he pushed me and water would get up my nose. Except this, this was a hundred times worse than anything I could ever imagine. My body may have been numb, but my lungs felt like they were exploding from the inside out. It was like a bomb ripping my insides apart. There was nothing I could do but let it happen. My head pounded, urging me to accept the feeling and fall asleep. There was a heavy feeling behind my eyes, and I tried to fight it off as hard as I could. There was only so much you could do when you were paralyzed from the neck down. I could see Derek yelling out my name. My eyes blinked a couple of times, yearning to close for good while water quickly engulfed my lungs. I wondered if they were going to bury me beside my parents. All these different thoughts flooded my mind—what would my gravestone say? It's been ten years, is there even a plot next to my parents? Would I be reunited with my parents once I passed on? I didn't want to know simply because I didn't want to die. There'd been plenty of times over the last ten years where I wanted to die, but this wasn't one of them. I found a purpose and happiness in Beacon Hills. I finally felt like there was a reason I survived that night. All those questions seemed to become senseless as numbness overtook my entire body and my eyes slipped closed, letting the water swallow me into darkness.

☾☾☾

My eyes flickered open, finding myself standing in the doorway of a little girls bedroom. The pastel pink walls and crisp white furniture sent a wave of nostalgia over me. I let out a shaky breath, taking a reluctant step into the room that I acknowledged as my old bedroom. It was just how I remembered it, except maybe a little smaller. Picture frames hung on the wall, some displaying prints of flowers and cartoon animals, and then some exhibiting pictures of my family. Barbie dolls laid on top of the Parisian poodle bedding I had begged mom for my fifth birthday. Decorative figurines and princess crows displayed on the dresser along side a set of children's books mom used to read to me every night. Hanging on the bedside lamp was a mock police medal of honor. My thumb ran over the engraved lettering— "honorary cadet". Dad had given it to me once when I visited his office. I dropped my medal, letting it clank against the lamp. My breathing hastened, seeing all these memories sent chills down my spine. Tears blurred my vision as I turned around, trying to blink out the scene in front of me. It wouldn't go away. My eyes squeezed shut, hoping the haunting memories from the past would disappear.

"Wake up." I grasped my head, my fingernails grazing at my scalp. My eyes opened once again before I ran out of the room and down the stairs of my old home. With every step I took, my feet felt like they were carrying fifty pound weights. In a dream, I felt weightless. But now, this felt more like real life. I reached the bottom of the stairs, my eyes darting over to the front door. My body froze, my hand dropping from the wooden railing and meeting my side. My head turned and I couldn't help but wonder if I had gone insane. Besides standing in my old home I had no memory of getting into, seeing the woman in front of me was physically impossible.

"Mom." My voice cracked. The petite, ash-brown haired woman stood in front of me. Staring. Breathing. Blinking. Alive and well.

I couldn't find the strength to form words. There wasn't any way this was logically possible. She was buried six feet under the ground, locked in a coffin, at Forest Hills Cemetery.

"Hi." She smiled sweetly, sending shooting pains through my heart. I hadn't heard her voice in so long. I hadn't seen her smile like that in so long. Though I was bursting with joy inside at the sight of my mother, I was still overwhelmed by confusion. How was she here and why did this feel so real? Maybe the questions I should have been asking were 'why was I here?'. I wanted nothing more than to run up to mom and hug her, but something mentally was pulling me away. I paused for a moment, pressing my lips and thinking how I got here. Mom had a sad smile glued to her lips. This was too real to be a dream. Everything was too realistic. The last thing I could remember was water—lots of water. It was swallowing me whole, drowning my insides. But that was it. I didn't remember getting out...I didn't remember breathing fresh air again.

"Am I dead? Is that what this is?" I realized. Moms eyes fell to the floor as I took a step forward.

"You're dying." She admitted with a painful nod. Was this heaven?

"Where am I?" She knew I wasn't talking about where I was in the house. She knew I knew I wasn't dreaming—as much as I wished I was at this point.

"It's a place between the living and the dead."

"I can't be dying. My friends...they're in trouble. They need me" My breathing faltered. Mom grew silent, her eyes dropping from staring at me. It hadn't hit me that I was truly dying—that I'd never see my family and friends again.

"Are you real?" The question had been itching at me.

"Yes." Mom nodded. A small smile broke out on my face. "I've been watching over you, you know?" Moms smile matched mine. Suddenly, the thought of abandoning my friends and earth didn't seem so bad.

"I miss you." I blurted out without another thought. Mom walked up to me, causing my breathing to stop. I couldn't find it logically possible I was mere inches from her.

"I've missed you too. Look at you, you're all grown up." Mom reached forward and cupped my cheek. A knot formed in my stomach when I couldn't feel the warmth of her touch. I couldn't feel her soft fingertips grazing my skin. "You've grown into such a beautiful and strong woman." Mom tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. Her hand dropped back to her side. I wanted to beg her to touch me again, I wanted so much to feel her touch it ached me. For once, I was at a loss for words. I was completely and utterly speechless. "But, you need to be careful." Moms tone changed. My brows furrowed, wondering why her voice had turned dark and serious. "There's dangerous things coming your way. Protect yourself, protect your brother, protect your friends."

"I already tried and this is where it got me." I shook my head.

"You have to, Hayley."

"What do you mean? What's coming?"

"Trust me. Don't trust easily. There's more than meets the eye with the seemingly innocent. Things are going to change." Mom eerily stated.

"Do you know what that thing was that attacked us?" I wondered. Mom shook her head.

"No, but Derek will."

"You know Derek?" I realized.

"I watch over you, Hayley. I miss you every day and it gives me nothing but joy to see how you've flourished." I lunged forward and wrapped mom in a tight embrace, hoping this time I'd feel her touch when she rubbed my back.

"God mom, I've missed being with you." I whispered. I felt nothing. No touch, no warmth. I heard mom shift uncomfortably and swallow a lump in her throat.

"I know." She whispered back in reply. "But you have to go back now, baby."

"What? No." I firmly stated after breaking the hug. "No, I want to stay."

"This isn't a place for you."

"No, I want to stay with you and dad. I want to be back with you guys." The thought of being reunited as a family sent butterflies through my stomach.

"You have your whole life ahead of you, Hayley. Remember what I said. And just know I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud. I love you." Mom smiled. The room began getting lighter and lighter. I turned around, wondering how to make it stop.

"Make it stop!" I begged, turning back to mom to find her vanished. "Mom? Mom!" I screamed. My vision began blurring over with white dots, making it clear I wasn't staying here—in this land of in between. Was I going back to the real world? If I wasn't staying here, did that mean I wasn't dying? And just like that, the scene of my old living room faded away into a white light blinding my vision.

☾☾☾

Derek's POV

Hayley floated there, her lungs being flooded with water as she gave me her last breath. There was a helpless girl dying in front of me and there was literally nothing I could do. I was weak—I was just as helpless. I screamed out her name, hoping she'd keep her eyes open. She couldn't die, not on my watch—at least not for the sake of Scott and Stiles. They'd kill me. Hayley's eyes continued to close, her heart beat slowing by the second. Her eyes finally shut and she let out one last breath, bubbles rising up to the surface. A void echoed through my chest, her heartbeat basically still. A mixture of emotions bubbled up inside of me, something I haven't felt since learning of Laura's death. It terrified me. I could gradually feel the paralysis take its effects away, my fingers and soon my hands slowly regaining feeling. Stiles finally dove himself under, furiously kicking towards the two of us. The lanky teenager grabbed me by the shirt. I nodded my head towards Hayley, motioning for him to grab her as well. He wrapped his free arm around the girl's waist, struggling to get all three of us back to the surface. We broke surface for a split second, just in time for me to yell Stiles' name out. I needed to tell him, we needed to save her. We went right under again, having water beat at my nostrils and throat. Before I could even try to kick my legs once again, the three of us were tossed out of the water, landing on the pool deck. Scott was crouched on the diving platform; I'd never been happier to see the teen beta in my life.

"Stiles." I managed to spit out along with a mouthful of water. I needed him to revive Hayley. The teen was too busy soaking in the air. After a quick quarrel with the oversize lizard, Scott was thrown into a mirror. He grabbed a shattered piece, using it as a weapon. I could feel most of the numbness leaving my body, finally allowing me to sit my stiff body up in preparations to fight. My mind crossed over Hayley. We needed to get this thing out of here first or none of us were going to live. The creature paused, looking at its reflection in confusion. Before any of us could bat an eye, it raced forward, jumped through the rafters, and exiting out of the skylight. My attention went back to focusing on the two teenagers on the ground. Stiles laid there, his chest heaving up and down for sweet air and silently praying to never leave solid land again. Then there was Hayley. She was on her back, her eyes closed, her chest still, and her skin ghostly. Her wet brunette hair clung to the sides of her face and shirt.

"Scott." I spoke up, through my heavy breathing.

"Are you guys okay?" Scott turned around, fully back in his human form now. His eyes focused on his motionless sister. "Hayley?" The beta paled considerably. Stiles finally looked towards us, seeing Hayley as she was.

"Oh my God." He spat out, scrambling over to the two.

"Hayley. Wake up." Scott shook her limp body. Her head fell towards me, lifeless. It tightened knots in my stomach, letting me know once more it was my fault. "No, no, no. Don't be dead. You can't be dead!" Scott chanted, tears threatening to flow. Scott began pushing down on his sister's chest. "Hayley, wake up!" Scott yelled. Stiles grabbed the girl's wrist, checking for a pulse before leaning down and preforming CPR on her. He pushed air into her mouth, reminding me of the grateful gesture she had done to me underwater.

"You can't go. Not like this. Not after everything you've been through." Scott muttered, continuing to press down repeatedly on her chest.

"Come on, Hale. Don't lose me here." Stiles pleaded, pressing his lips to hers once more. "I can't lose you. You mean everything to me." Stiles voice cracked with emotion as he sat up. He paused, taking a breath and checked her pulse once more. Please work, I silently pleaded. She couldn't be dead, she just couldn't. The teen fell back in disbelief, his head shaking all the while. He looked at the girl he grew up with laying unresponsively on the floor.

"Stiles, make her wake up! Make her wake up." Scott pleaded with trembling lips.

"Scott..." Stiles soon paused, unable to form words. He shook his head, refusing to believe she was gone. He was in hopes he was in a bad dream. I was hoping it too, I was overwhelmed by emotion.

"I can't." The McCall brother fell back, shaking his head repeatedly. Scott stared at his sister's body. "I can't lose her." For once in my life, I was completely stunned. I couldn't form words the one time I wanted to. I couldn't move—even with the paralysis finally worn off—I was simply too dazed. I couldn't imagine her being dead—I didn't want to. I'd felt a connection to the brunette teenager, something I hadn't felt with anyone in a lot time. It wasn't to long after we met, even through all the sarcasm and detest. It was something I didn't want to admit. There was something there, there was something similar about us that just clicked though we were completely different personality wise. She was pure and then, there was me. She had put me in my place that one night, saying we were more alike than I knew, and ever since then my interest developed for her. As the months went on I felt more for her. I wanted to protect her from all the madness in Beacon Hills like she had attempted to protect me against Kate. I hadn't figured out what had gone on in her past, and I never pushed it. She never pushed mine. But whatever happened, I wanted to be there for her. This was a feeling I hadn't felt for someone since I was sixteen years old. She was strong, she didn't need anyone—especially someone like me. She was strong, and now she was gone.

The silent room was soon filled with a loud, echoing gasp. Hayley's eyes ruptured open, her body lurching up. Her hands clawed at the ground as spews of water coughed out of her mouth. Seeing this washed a sense of overwhelming relief over me. Though she was terrified, she was alive. She was breathing. Both boys stared in disbelief. Scott bolted up and broke out into a smile before throwing his arms around his sister. Hayley's pounding heart echoed through my head, along with her heavy breaths. "It's okay, you're okay." Scott cooed, holding onto his sister for dear life. His hand rubbed down her back against the soaking wet shirt clinging to her back. Pulling apart from the hug, Scott wiped away his tears and laughed at himself.

"God, you really are the master of cheating death." Stiles said through a relieved breath before flinging himself on the panicked girl. His choice of words made me question her safety, and what hidden meaning was behind his phrase.

Hayley nestled her head into Stiles shoulder, tears dripping on his shirt. While Stiles was busy hugging her, Hayley turned her head around and her eyes met mine. Through teary eyes, she looked at my sympathetically. Her heartbeat relaxed, seeing I was fine. I opened my mouth to ask her if she was okay, but before I could even speak she cut me off with a nod and a flat smile, which sent a tugging at my chest.

☾☾☾

Hayley's POV

Scott and Stiles had their heads buried into Scott's laptop, which had a black jump drive plugged into it. It turned out that the bestiary wasn't in fact in a book, it was hanging from Gerard's keys the entire time. I sat on the hood of mom's car, Scott's jacket wrapped around me. I shivered, wishing we'd just go home already. I kept myself silent, staring out aimlessly into the distance as I thought of the recent encounter I had with my dead mother. Besides being overwhelmed by her quick appearance, I couldn't help but wonder about the dream I had of the pool the previous night. This was all to Sylvia Brownefor me. I could feel Scott's eyes glued on my back as he whispered something to Stiles. He was probably worried. I didn't care enough to know what it was about. I could hear him eventually complaining in the background with Stiles making a quick comment. There was a stinging behind my eyes, a wetness at the crease of my lid.

"It's called a Kanima." My head lurched up as Derek sauntered towards us, Erica latched to his side. The blonde had apparently been knocked out by the creature, but got by with a measly scratch. Lucky her.

"You knew the whole time?" Scott spat accusingly.

"No," Derek quickly answered, his eyes landing on me, "only when it was confused by it's reflection." My eyes darted away, hiding the wetness until I blinked it away.

"It doesn't know what it is." Scott realized, shaking his head or disbelief.

"Or who." Stiles added. "What else do you know?" Stiles asked the Alpha.

"Just stories, rumors..." Derek mused. I could feel his gaze occasionally land on me.

"Is it like you?" I finally spoke up, causing a silence to settle over the group.

"It's a shape shifter, yes. But, it's not right. It's like a..." Derek paused to search for the right word.

"An abomination?" Stiles suggested. Derek nodded.

"Derek." Scott began. We need to work together. Maybe even tell the Argents." I peaked over to my brother, wondering if he was serious. Was he stupid enough, especially with a veteran werewolf hunter in town, to tell the Argents about this thing? Was that what my mother meant when she said don't trust the seemingly innocent? My head pounded, and I couldn't tell if it was from drowning or all the questions I had. Derek scoffed.

"You trust them?"

"Nobody trusts anyone, that's the problem! While we're here arguing about who's on what side, there's something stronger and faster than any of us, and it's killing people! And we still don't know anything about it!" Scott cried.

"I know one thing. When I find it, I'm going to kill it." Derek huffed before stalking away, Erica right on his tail. I shyly looked up to Scott, giving him a look that I wanted to go home. ASAP.

☾☾☾

The feeling of being sunken under the cold water chilled my bones, even after a scalding hot shower. I quickly dressed myself in pajama shorts and threw one of Scott's old navy, crewneck lacrosse sweaters on, shivering as I walked out of the bathroom. I wrapped my arms around my torso, hoping my body would finally warm itself. 

I padded into my room until I stopped abruptly in the doorway, taken aback when I realized Derek was standing in front of my open window. Derek's normal rock hard solid look cast upon me. He didn't move or speak. He just stared.

"I'm just beginning to think I should just keep the back door open." I meekly smiled with a quiet chuckle. Derek continued his silent stare as I grew uncomfortable. 

"You dried off." I commented, trying to lighten the mood. "Are you okay?" I asked. Derek's solid gaze contorted of one of anger and confusion, confused as why the girl who had just died and been revived was asking him if he was okay.

"Are you stupid?" He finally asked. 

"Excuse me?" I was taken back, not expecting that to be the first thing he'd say. But then again, he was Derek Hale. The only thing predictable about him was that he was unpredictable.

"Are you stupid?" He repeated slowly, gritting the words through his teeth. He took a step towards me. "Because you must be an absolute idiot. Why the hell would you deliberately martyr yourself like that? Are you insane?" Derek threw up his hands in exasperation. "You're lucky you woke up! What kind of genius plan was that, huh? What were you thinking?" I blinked a couple of times, not knowing what exactly to say to Derek. I swallowed the nervous feeling, preparing myself to speak.

"We were both down there. One of us deserved to live." I quietly answered, my throat still raw from tonight's earlier events.

"And you thought that was me?" Derek's accused in anger. A tense silence overtook the room as I nodded my head. Momentarily, I saw a brief flicker of emotion in Derek's green eyes that almost looked like wonder, but it was gone in a blink. The alpha shook his head, his lips puckered with anger. He stormed over to me. Derek's hands wrapped themselves against my cheeks and he forcefully pressed his lips to mine. My breath hitched as my eyes shut. I stood there rigid in shock as he kissed me. As my brain finally registered what was happening, I relaxed into the kiss, meeting his lips as they moved against mine. A mixture of chlorine and cologne wafted up my nostrils and Derek's rough hands grazed my cheeks. Our lips moved in sync and I couldn't help but have butterflies in my stomach as my heart fluttered. Feeling Derek kiss me gave me a sense of security. It felt right—though it was heated it was still sweet. It was everything I could have hoped for. The feeling of needing to breathe tickled Derek's lungs. He pulled back. My eyes still closed and my breathing haggard, I could feel his breath hot on my lips as his warm hands detach from my face. When I finally had the courage to look up at him, a void feeling echoed through my body. Derek was gone. The window was wide open, and he was long gone leaving me to think about what had just happen and curse out his werewolf abilities.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 125 23
Meet Steph. She's a quirky British girl who had no clue about what is about too happen to her. After finding out she was adopted at a young age she s...
8.7K 126 26
Emilia Mikaelson is new to the town of Beacon Hills, but her family have told her everything there is to know about the supernatural in the little to...
350K 7K 31
Alyssa is Derek's little sister. But she didnt get the gift of claws, fangs, super hearing, super speed, and super strength. No one knows why. Scott...
410K 14.5K 65
"please, just let me help you" "why should i? everyone i know either dies or thinks i'm a total freak show" Georgia Ray is a social outcast...