Adventure's Past

By Particulan

The sequel to 'A Journey's Link'. -Spoilers ahead- Six years have passed since the event transpired as a resu... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Euphoria
Chapter 2 - Onwards
Chapter 3 - Return
Chapter 4 - Incident
Chapter 5 - Traveler
Chapter 6 - Burning Pain
Chapter 7 - Discovery
Chapter 8 - Location
Chapter 9 - Escape
Chapter 10 - Realization
Chapter 11 - Espie
Chapter 12 - Astray
Chapter 13 - Devastation
Chapter 14 - Introduce
Chapter 15 - Cherish
Chapter 16 - Away
Chapter 17 - Retrieval
Chapter 18 - Fervency
Chapter 19 - Sonder
Chapter 20 - Family
Chapter 21 - Intrusion
Chapter 22 - Serena
Chapter 23 - Goh
Chapter 24 - Ash
Chapter 25 - Host
Chapter 26 - Spying
Chapter 27 - Imprisoned
Chapter 28 - Pallet
Chapter 29 - Monstrosity
Chapter 30 - Laboratory
Chapter 31 - Vulnerable
Chapter 32 - Ascertain
Chapter 33 - Break
Chapter 34 - World
Chapter 35 - Pewter
Chapter 36 - Brock
Chapter 37 - Companion
Chapter 38 - Nostalgic
Chapter 39 - Legacy
Chapter 40 - Flying
Chapter 41 - Recalling
Chapter 42 - Chespin
Chapter 43 - Statue
Chapter 44 - Manifesto
Chapter 45 - Avoidance
Chapter 46 - Planned
Chapter 47 - Prepare
Chapter 48 - Arsenal
Chapter 49 - Motives
Chapter 50 - Leadership
Chapter 51 - Peruse
Chapter 52 - Approach
Chapter 53 - Onslaught
Chapter 54 - Convincing
Chapter 55 - Destruction
Chapter 57 - Death
Chapter 58 - Human
Chapter 59 - Fought
Chapter 60 - Once Again
Chapter 61 - Common Point
Post-Book Author's Note

Chapter 56 - Explanation

177 7 2
By Particulan

Why'd Mewtwo stopped moving?

Ash stared in confusion as Mewtwo, who was nearly going to drop him from the extreme height they were at, froze up, eyes glazed over. Did Goh somehow manage to get through into his mind? He thought to himself, feeling a slight tinge of hope in his mind.

For a few seconds, they both stayed in the air, unmoving while the cold air blew past them. Ash saw his opportunity and began struggling, trying desperately to get out. However, Mewtwo's grasp was unfortunately extreme enough to keep Ash in place, but while he attempted this escape, he noticed that he was able to finally move his hand, meaning he could grab something very important.

My belt! He thought to himself, jutting his hand down towards his waist. He felt around and barely managed to grip onto one of his Pokeballs, unsure of whose it was. He began feeling around for the white button that would release one of the Pokemon within. I'm not sure whose Pokeball this is, Ash thought to himself. But anyone is better than no one!

"Haw!"

Ash watched as Hawlucha appeared in a white light from the Pokeball, striking a pose as he leaped onto Mewtwo's head gracefully. After finishing the outgoing entrance, Hawlucha quickly looked around, absorbing the situation. "Haw! Haw!" Hawlucha exclaimed, pointing down below to the ground far beneath them.

"Look, it's a long story!" Ash explained, struggling against Mewtwo's everlasting grasp. "Right now, I need you to help me get out of here!" Hawlucha nodded and leaned over Mewtwo's head, staring into its deeply concentrated eyes. "I think it might be distracted right now, so we need to act fast!"

As he said this, a droplet-like noise echoed around them loudly, surprising both Ash and Hawlucha. "What was that?" Ash asked, staring at Mewtwo as if he was the cause of the noise.

"Ash! Ash! Look out!"

Goh's voice appeared out of nowhere to Hawlucha, who wasn't as entranced by Mewtwo as Ash was. Looking over to his right where the voice was, he saw something quite shocking. A large portal-like window had appeared in the darkening sky, and beyond it was Goh on the ground next to a flaming forest.

"Watch out!" Goh yelled one more time. Hawlucha looked to Goh's right and saw a giant horde of wild, angry Pokemon, all heading directly into the portal. As the Pokemon began traveling through and heading towards them, Hawlucha saw a lone, standing figure behind the large group.

It was Mewtwo, prompting the Pokemon to go forward into battle.

Hawlucha's eyes widened as he turned back to Ash, who was staring at Mewtwo incredulously. "Lucha!" Hawlucha exclaimed, pointing towards the wild Pokemon as the portal behind them disappeared into nothing. Ash broke away from his trance on Mewtwo and looked where Hawlucha was pointing; his heart began racing.

His mind racing, Ash quickly gave a command. "Use Karate Chop on Mewtwo's head," he commanded quickly, trying to keep his cool amongst the approaching Pokemon closing in on them. Hawlucha's claw and arm began glowing white as he swiftly struck down Mewtwo's skull, sending a wave of power throughout Mewtwo's head.

Ash immediately felt the grasp upon him disappear. While initially he was relieved, he quickly realized that there was now nothing supporting him miles above the ground. Hawlucha watched with horror as Ash began descending rapidly, his scream fading as he disappeared into the clouds below them. Hawlucha looked over and saw that the wild Pokemon were only a few meters away, and had been charging up moves upon the flying Pokemon.

Without a second thought, he jumped straight down, tensing his body so that he could travel downward faster. As he pushed back against the clouds, a clearer vision of Lumiose City came before him. He scanned the air around him, looking and listening for any sign of Ash.

"Hawlucha!" Ash exclaimed from below, catching the attention of the falling Hawlucha. "Haw!" He exclaimed, positioning himself over to his trainer. Once he had reached Ash, he wrapped his arms around him, hoping to think of a solution before they reached the ground. Luckily, Ash had already solved their issue.

"The Pokeball!" Ash yelled over the rushing wind infiltrating their hearing. "Dragonite's Pokeball!" Hawlucha nodded, understanding what Ash wanted. Reaching around Ash's waist, Hawlucha felt around until he stumbled across a Pokeball. He grabbed it and pressed down on the white button.

In a stroke of good luck, the Pokeball that Hawlucha had chosen was, in fact, Dragonite's Pokeball. "Drag!" Dragonite exclaimed, immediately understanding what to do. She dived down and flew underneath the falling duo, allowing them to land safely on her back. Ash groaned as he gained his seating on Dragonite's back, rubbing his shoulder from the impact.

"Thanks, Dragonite," he said with a slight pang of pain. She nodded and gave a thumbs up to Hawlucha, who nodded back with respect. "Alright. Take us back down to the ground so we can help everyone out," Ash said, adjusting his black cloak on his body. "We've got a bunch of Pokemon to fight."

{—}

"Milotic, please defend with Hydro Pump once more!"

Wallace, the previous champion of the Hoenn region, was involved in the battle against the wild Pokemon back at Sycamore's lab. His Milotic heard his command and sent a powerful Hydro Pump toward the opposing Ivysaur, which managed to barely dodge the oncoming move and regain its footing a few feet away.

"Ivy!" The wild Ivysaur exclaimed, sending a Razor Leaf back. "Dodge it!" Wallace shouted; Milotic slithered away from the leaves, which went past its target and began heading towards another Gym Leader fighting their own battle.

"Heads up!" Wallace yelled, worried that the Razor Leaf would strike the trainer. The trainer, which was Maylene, the fighting-type Gym Leader in the Sinnoh region, was fortunately athletic and quickly performed a back flip, allowing the Razor Leaf to strike the ground beneath her. "Beautiful execution!" Wallace exclaimed with a smile, giving Maylene a thumbs up.

"Thanks for the heads up!" She replied, turning her attention back to her battle. Wallace also turned around and once again faced the wild and feral Ivysaur, who was still under the control of Mewtwo. I wonder how long this state of anger will last. Wallace asked himself as he began thinking of Milotic's next move. We may be here all day due to how persistent and mindless these Pokemon are. They'll never stop trying to fight until their very last breath.

Milotic looked back at Wallace, who nodded in return. As he was going to make his move, he noticed that his large strand of hair sticking out in front of him began moving on its own, something that he knew wasn't normal. When did it become so windy? He wondered, looking up towards the sky.

There, he saw the source of the sudden wind. A Dragonite began rapidly flying towards the ground, its large wings stirring up the dust around them. Wallace rubbed his eyes as he saw the figure of the large dragon hop off. "Ash!" He exclaimed once he managed to recognize the black cloak. "We all saw you get kidnapped by Mewtwo! Did you defeat it?"

Ash quickly thanked Dragonite and recalled her back to her Pokeball before walking over to Wallace, who he had managed to recognize from the Wallace Cup he had watched May and Dawn participate in years ago. "Nah, I just barely managed to get out," he replied, his voice shaking slightly from the fall. "Thanks to this guy," he added, nodding towards Hawlucha, who struck a signature pose as Ash recalled him into his Pokeball as well.

"Well, we've been fighting these Pokemon," Wallace replied, looking over at the growling Ivysaur that was still in the fighting spirit. "And judging by how they look, we're not sure if they're ever gonna stop trying to defeat us." Ash nodded and looked over. The Fomantis that had approached him from the portal seemed to understand that they weren't a threat innately, but Mewtwo had done something to control them to do what he wanted.

Ash quickly looked back at Wallace and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Can you please spread the word that more Pokemon are coming?" He asked suddenly, confusing Wallace. "More Pokemon?" He asked, looking around and seeing that the wild Pokemon were already proving to be quite a burden to the dozens of Gym Leaders around them. "To fight?"

Nodding, Ash took a deep breath. "I'm not sure how, but I think there's more of the same Pokemon coming to fight right now." He looked up into the sky as he said this, trying to see any sign of the aggressive Pokemon that had suddenly appeared. "And we're gonna need to get everyone ready to fight them, even if they don't believe they can do it."

Wallace nodded and looked around, seeing the trainers around him. "I'm on it," he said with purpose, giving a nod to Milotic to continue fighting against the Ivysaur. "Now, I just gotta find Pikachu," he muttered to himself, remembering how he had tried to send a large Thunderbolt towards him and Mewtwo as the large psychic powerhouse had taken him high into the sky.

Normally, Ash would've been lost and confused amidst everything happening around him. Countless familiar faces fighting against wild Pokemon, some old, some more recent. However, a certain name still managed to present itself at the forefront of his mind.

Serena, who was still being kept in Snowbelle City with Wulfric and Bonnie, was still in his mind, guiding him with every step to try to find Pikachu. As he followed this motivation, he found himself walking past all the chaos with bliss, and began heading straight toward the lab, where he hoped to find Pikachu.

{—}

"What did you just do?!" Goh finally screamed, feeling Mewtwo's control of his voice relief itself. "Where did all those Pokemon go? Why were you just in that portal?" Mewtwo turned around and fell on one knee, clearly exhausted. "I simply found a bridge to the gap between my mind and the physical plane," he replied, breathing heavily as he spoke through telepathy.

"Again, I must reiterate that you seem to not understand how much I have harnessed my power over these last few years. Memories and present time can truly be linked together with enough mental energy, but this does admittedly leave me in this weakened state that you see here."

Goh's face must've revealed that he started feeling hopeful at this revelation of Mewtwo being weak, as Mewtwo quickly followed up this statement with another explanation. "However, this doesn't physically hinder me in any way, as this form you see of me is not my true body, as you've seen from the portal I've just summoned. This level of exertion serves to decrease my mental fortitude."

Another piece of the mysterious puzzle that was Mewtwo's powers fit perfectly. That was why Mewtwo wasn't using his powers on a bunch of people at once or even on larger buildings; he simply didn't have the strength to do it. "This is why you're holding back," Goh stated, standing up as Mewtwo's control on his body also faded away. "This is why you haven't just decided to just crush everything under your hand."

"Precisely," Mewtwo replied, regaining his posture. Goh raised an eyebrow. "But why? You could so easily cause extreme destruction using that power, but instead, you're wasting it all on mind-controlling innocent wild Pokemon and creating portals for these... memory Pokemon to go fight for some fake idea of revenge."

He opened his mouth to continue speaking but suddenly caught himself as he began thinking about what he was saying. Mewtwo looked on at Goh, sensing that his mind was formulating what he had already planned for years. "You don't want to destroy the planet on your own, because you know what that will do."

Goh shook his head and scoffed. "You know that if you're the one who destroys the planet, then the Pokemon will know that you were the true force of evil all along, not humans!" It all seemed simple to him now, even though it hadn't been originally. "You're using your powers to place these Pokemon in situations where they think that humans are the issue, so that once you use them to get rid of all of us-"

"They will trust me as their leader," Mewtwo said menacingly, finishing Goh's thoughts. "Impressive. You've figured out exactly what the main objective is. They could never trust me if they saw me as some killing machine, despite my efforts being in clearly good vain." As he spoke, Goh couldn't help but feel uneasy.

"But why are you telling me all of us?" Goh asked, visibly confused. "Why reveal what your intentions are if they could be used against you?" Mewtwo scoffed and crossed his arms. "Because, Goh, you've accessed my memories, thus locking yourself in my consciousness until someone brings you out, whichever method that may be." Goh's eyes grew wide as he heard this.

"You're telling me I'm stuck in here permanently?" Goh asked incredulously, earning a solemn nod from Mewtwo. "Until one of us is killed, our minds are now linked permanently," he explained, raising a paw. "Only difference is, I'm the individual with enough mental strength to leave at my whim." As he said this, a purple glow enveloped him, shining bright as he disappeared, leaving the shared consciousness and leaving Goh behind with a sinking heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 21.2K 67
5 years after Ash's death, the ultimate Pokémon tournament is being held. All the best trainers are competing in it. A mystery masked trainer suddenl...
7.2K 193 19
He's finally done it. The boy all the way from little old Pallet Town is now officially a Pokemon Master. Ash Ketchum lifts the trophy high with a ce...
77.3K 1.6K 23
The Sequel to "An Amourshipping Story" Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters in this story or Pokèmon •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•...
123K 2.6K 61
*COMPLETE**EDITS COMPLETE* Ash Ketchum is a brand new trainer from Pallet Town in the Kanto region at 16 years old. His dream is to become the very b...