Only Fire

By FantasticalChaos

*** First book in the series *** Ember appeared to be the typical outcast at high school, always sitting alon... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue

Chapter 7

49 8 22
By FantasticalChaos

Was it the autumn air that seemed crisper this time of year, or was it the chill from the fridged vampire that kept hovering around me? Either way, the world seemed colder the further into October I went. I snuggled deeper into the soft material of my puffy purple jacket as the cool breeze tried to stab me with its penetrating blasts. 

The leaves from the trees were changing and falling from their homes, only to be crushed by the passing of humanity's unaware feet. The once colorful flowers were now stiffer and turning a lifeless grey, slowly making their journey to death. Both of them would return with the warmer air that spring brings. As happy as I was, I still could not help but think of the similarities. 

Though one thing was undeniably clear, there was always beauty to be found, even when the cold fall brought signs of death around me. Confetti of oranges, reds, and browns cascaded upon me as I walked under an enormous tree, and I knew that the universe was celebrating my gaining of friends.  

Skeletons and ghosts hung in the yards of the shelters of others I passed by on the walk to school. It was getting closer to Halloween. That was the one time of year most of us could be in our proper form. I would not be able to fly as a bird covered in fire as humans find those things impossible, even on Halloween. But most other immortals could parade around in their original form for one night, and the mortals would never know.

Werewolves could take a half form, making them hairier and having features of a wolf but keeping their sanity. Fairies would let their elf ears hang out and let their tattoos show. Sirens would pop out their gills and scales, cascading up and down on their body. Each of these things could be explained by a fantastic makeup artist. But how could I explain if I showed up on fire for hours without a burn mark on me? 

I walked into Eries and Ivy High School for another fun-filled educational day when an arm linked with mine. 

"Ember, you're finally here," Ella said. 

I looked over at the dainty fairy. She had a lollipop in her mouth, and her long, snowy hair avalanched down her back. This was going to take some time to get used to. 

"I walked," I said. "It takes me a little longer."

"Where do you live? The middle of nowhere."

"Kinda." 

Ella gazed over at me as I shoved my books into my locker. This was the first time I made it to the locker without being squished. For once, I did not have to fight the crowds when I had Ella beside me. 

I took my usual seat at the lab table, and Lucy was already across from me. The difference was Elfred was sitting beside her, and Kathryn was waiting for me, sitting in Zane's seat. The only one who didn't join us was Travis, who seemed to be hanging with the other werewolves in the class. 

"Did you get a costume yet?" Kathryn asked me as soon as I sat my stuff down.

"Costume?"

"Yeah, for the Halloween dance." 

The dreaded social events of the hermit high school senior. I usually did not entertain the thought of going to such occasions. 

"I wasn't sure if I was going," I spoke.

"You have to go!" Ella replied. She was slightly over-excited as her voice hit high-pitched levels that only fairies could reach. Elfred gave her a warning look as Lucy shook her head from the ear-splicing squeal. 

"You have to go where?" Zane's voice hummed in my ears as he slammed his books before Kathryn. Antonio did the same to Elfred, showing his protruding fangs to the fairy. They were taking claim on what they thought was theirs. My friends stood facing the vamps with lowered glares, not saying a word as they passed by the vamps coldness, taking their assigned seats across the room.

"Just think about it, Ember," Kathryn said as she turned her head toward me on her way to her seat.

I smiled and nodded my head. I would give her a definite answer by the end of lunch.

"So, go where?" Zane asked me. He was not going to let this go. 

"Ember's new friends want her to go to the Halloween dance with them," Lucy said. Way to keep a conversation between us, Lucy. I did not want to tell my enemies what I considered doing. 

I heard their laughter first. He always acted differently in front of his kind. 

"Is that funny?" I asked.

"It's just hard to picture you at a social gathering," Zane said.

"I'm sure your dance moves are fire! You'll be the light of the party!" Antonio laughed. His jokes were pitiful. 

"I might just go."

"Don't let us stop you," Zane said.

"Trust me, I am not taking you guys into account at all." 

I opened my notebook, wishing to end the conversation. On cue, Mr. Schwertz walked in, making my wish come true. 

"One person from each lab, grab your materials for today's assignment."

Like Deja vu, Zane and Antonio headed up front, grabbing the materials. 

"They are such gentlemen that they always get the stuff for us," Lucy said.

"Yeah, Lucy," I said, watching Lucy's eyes follow each step Antonio made like a puppy waiting for their master to return. What had he done to her?   

"Last time you got used to the equipment," Mr. Schwertz continued. "This time, you will be handling different materials."

I knew what would happen when I saw the bottles that read hydrogen peroxide and yeast. At least we were not using fire today. 

"I hope you like purple," Zane said, setting a small bottle of food coloring on the lab table. 

"It's my favorite," I muttered. 

I did not miss the slight smile that rose at the corner of his lips as he put the bulky safety glasses on his face. If his personality wasn't so arrogant, I might have found him as attractive as everyone else in the class who had their eyes ogling him.

We worked carefully and slowly, taking notes and measuring the precise amounts into the glass beakers. Zane let me do the honors and pour the water and yeast mixture into the purple soap and hydrogen peroxide. The purple foam explosion was beautiful, and for a split second, I thought we made a good team.

"The explosion was pretty, wasn't it?" Zane leaned over and whispered to me. Was this vamp a mind reader or just a flirtatious predator?

"Yeah," I replied, and that was it. Silence. The end of our conversation and the end of class.

"Make sure to clean up your areas and turn in your notes before you leave," Mr. Schwertz said.

"You got that, right?" Zane asked. He slung his backpack over one shoulder. Did I miss something?  

"What?" I asked, but it was too late. He was out the door with the other vamps. Lucy must have been charmed as she cleaned up the area, without complaining. That was out of her character as she was one of the biggest human complainers I knew.

This vampire's hot and cold ways were going to drive me psychotic, if I wasn't there already. As I picked up a beaker to take to the sink and wash it, I noticed a couple more hands at my table. My friends had joined in the cleanup where my partner had left me.

"Come on, or you will be late for your next class," Kathryn said. I was speechless. I took the notes and headed for the teacher's desk to turn them in. By the time I turned around, my lab table had been cleaned. 

"Let's go, Ember," Elfred said and draped his arm around my shoulders, walking us out of the one class I was starting to hate the most.

The deafening sounds of the cafeteria were not as painful when others joined me. The impact on my soul was truly astounding when I had friends who genuinely cared. My soul was now consumed with an explosive fire, spreading it wherever I could, or at least I was trying.

"Of course, we are going as ourselves!" Ella said as I sat at the round table.

"But we are ourselves every year. Maybe I want to be a hairy wolf," Kathryn said.

"You would never survive as a wolf," Travis said.

"Your right," Kathryn said. "Plus, you all stink too much." She pinched the tip of her nose while waving her other hand in front of her. Travis shrugged his shoulders, seemingly to not take offense. 

"What did I miss?" I asked, sipping on some warm coffee. 

"We are just going over our costumes," Ella said. "I say we go as ourselves, but Kathryn wants to be something different."  

"When is the dance?"

"Next Friday," Elfred said. "Have you ignored all hundred posters plastered on the school's walls?"

"I guess I missed them." Truthfully, I saw the posters but ignored them, thinking I was not going to the dance like every other dance I had missed this lifetime.

"Oh, you should go as a phoenix, Ember!" Kathryn said.

"Yeah, if I show up as a flying bird on fire, I think the mortals might freak," I said as I let out a laugh.

"I go as a half-wolf," Travis mumbled with a mouth full of food. Flakes of bread flew across the table as he tried to join in on the conversation.

"Dude, swallow before you speak," Elfred said as he blocked his area from the flying food debris. 

Kathryn sighed and shook her head at the boys. "There are ways to go as yourself but not freak the mortals out. We will think of something."

"The Halloween dance is awesome for the immortals," Ella said. "We have the best costumes and always win the contest." 

"That seems a little unfair," I said. 

"It is," she replied. They all laughed at her response. I smiled, thinking I was supposed to join in finding the humor in the situation, but for some reason, I could not find any, as it seemed slightly unethical.

"Okay, so we get to be ourselves, there is a costume contest, and there is dancing with food and drinks. Is that it?" I asked.

"Besides a night out with your friends," Kathryn said. 

"Don't forget a king and queen of the night, but that is it," Ella said. 

"Okay, but do the vamps go?" I asked. I knew the answer, but I wanted confirmation. 

"They never miss it," Ella replied shrugging. She wasn't going to lie to me, and I liked that about her.

"But you have us now, so don't worry," Kathryn replied. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the iciness for one night and have fun.

 Elfred stayed attached to his phone, probably flirting with one of his many contacts. Travis was more interested in his lunch. Ella and Kathryn's eyes were on me as I pondered, deciding my answer.  

I took in a deep breath before I let the words fall out of my mouth, hoping I would not regret it. "Alright, I'm in." 

"Yes," I heard the unison squeals of the girls at my table. But I also did not miss the cold gaze of blue eyes from a table across the room. I knew he heard my answer. He would not bring a blizzard on my first social event with friends.

"This weekend we are going shopping!" Ella squealed.

"Where? The farmers market?" I replied. Obviously, I have never been out of town.

"The city is two hours north of here, and they have the biggest Halloween shop!" Kathryn said. "We can get everything we need there."

"Don't we have to work?" 

"We will be back in time for our late shift as long as we leave early."

My eyes widen and I could not stop chatting as we made plans to meet at the coffee shop early in the morning. Since Kathryn and I would be there later that night, we would leave our stuff for our night shift at the coffee shop. 

The bell rang, ending our lunch, and I stood up to take my trash to the garbage can and slung the backpack over my shoulder when a slight tug on the zipper stopped me in my place. I whipped around to see who could have stopped me when a mischievous smile greeted me.

"Was that necessary, Zane?"

"You had something there. I got most of it off, but you might want to make sure you get the rest," he replied and then walked out the door with the rest of his clan. I threw away the trash and examined my bag, noticing he had unzipped the small pocket in the front of my backpack. 

"Ugh." I let out an audible groan as I was zipping it back up. That's when I noticed a folded-up piece of paper. Curiosity got the better of me, and I unfolded it.

I'm glad you are going.

Into the trash, the paper went. A shiver ran up my spine as I couldn't help but think these vamps were planning something.

"You good?" Elfred asked.

"Yeah, fine."

"Then let's go," he said while he gave a slight nod.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 361 41
Originally titled 'Everything's Alright If I'm By Your Side' (EAIIBYS) Description: Wilbur soot is a seventeen year old that lives in a huge town...
299K 14.4K 27
Neve, a lonely girl surrounded by people, but no one knew the truth. The truth people have died to protect. It's too dangerous for them to know, and...
33.1K 1.2K 43
ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜱɪɢɴ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏᴜᴛ, ɴᴏᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ. The Land Of Merthia - once a place full of serenity, now a place full of...
53.8K 4.3K 41
[Teen and New Adult Romance] "Life as a trailer trash kid is nothing short of shitty, especially when the love of my life pretends that I don't exist...