Arknights: Living the Dream

By ytvisee

Every night I lay in bed, I like to imagine myself in another world. The world I most find myself in is Terra... More

Chapter 1: Terra
Chapter 2: Realization
Chapter 3: Adjustment
Chapter 4: Lungmen
Chapter 5: The Ends of The Earth
Chapter 6: Sora
Chapter 7: Preparation
Chapter 8: Unexpected Reunion
Chapter 9: Before Sauin
Chapter 10: Warehouse Brawl
Chapter 11: Warehouse Aftermath
Chapter 12: Happy Sauin
Chapter 13: A Decision
Chapter 14: Contract
Chapter 15: Prelude
Chapter 16: A Bad Dream
Chapter 17: Love
Chapter 18: Reunion, For the First Time
Chapter 19: Rhodes Island, For the First Time
Azrael Operator File
Chapter 20: Guitar Bonding
Chapter 21: The First Two Missions
Chapter 22: Drums and a Drink
Chapter 23: New Faces & A Book About Music
Chapter 24: One More Member

1 Year Anniversary

1.3K 58 28
By ytvisee

"Holy crap, this is where we're spending your birthday?!" Exusiai says, eyes popping out of her head as we're driving down Lungmen's 4th street.

"Relax, we're probably only going down Lungmen's high-end just to reach our destination." Texas says from the passenger seat, "Besides, who here has enough money to pay just the entrance fee for one of these places? No less the actual experience."

"Well, Az did say that he got his finances straight while he was leaving us." Exusiai says looking at me from the back seat, "So..."

"I do not have enough spare cash for these places." I answer while driving, "But I do have connections."

I see Sora smile also in the backseat.

"Wait... You mean to tell me-"

"You know that briefcase I brought with us?" I say while turning into the parking lot of L'éclat doré, "Well, it has the appropriate attire for this sort of place."

...The car goes silent...

"You're having your birthday party at... L'éclat doré? Like, the nicest speakeasy in Lungmen L'éclat doré?" Exusiai says.

Croissant finally snaps out of money-filled-trance to turn to me.

"Wait... we have to put on dresses?!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lord have mercy on me." Croissant says.

"C'mon out Croissant, it's just a dress." Exusiai says, "You won't be allowed into the place looking like a street vendor."

"But I am a street venda' Exusiai!" Croissant pleads, "I ain't ever worn a dress in my life!"

"Well do you wanna have a free night inside damn L'éclat doré?" Exusiai says, "You will literally never have an opportunity like this again."

...

"This is free, right?" Exusiai whispers to me, clad in an elegant red dress.

"Mhmm." I nod, adjusting my white suit and the watch that Sora gave me.

"Heyyyy, Croissant." Exusiai says seeing my watch, "Az got one pretty nice looking watch, maybe you could convince him to sell it to you."

"What!" Croissant runs out, "Lemme see that watch!"

...

I just back away from her, "See, it wasn't that hard."

Croissant is dressed in a sparkly lavender dress, complete with a little hair clip that ties it all together nicely.

Her face, however, is almost all red.

"Aww, screw ya pricks!" Croissant yells, "Damn ya..."

"Well..." Texas says, in a white and blue dress herself, "Let's just get on with it, Sora headed inside a while ago."

I nod and take the lead as Crossaint follows along pouting, Exusiai follows along smiling, and Texas follows along, being Texas.

"Just remember..." I say while we reach the door, "Please maintain yourselves."

Croissant and Exusiai nod vigorously, while Texas just gives me a smile.

"Alright." I say turning to the door, "But you can have however many drinks you want, it's all covered."

...

Everyone smiles.

I open the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A reservation for... ah yes, Azrael Winters." A receptionist says, "We have a table for 5 directly in front of the stage all set, that is fine with you?"

I nod my head.

"Great, please follow me." She moves from the desk and takes a walk down the hall.

A very, very beautiful hall.

I've always been a sucker for art deco, but I've never had a place anywhere near me that quite nailed the feeling.

So to find what appears to be a modern speakeasy in Lungmen, ah, my dreams came true.

"Wow..." I hear Crossaint say from behind me, "This is where all the elites go to party, huh?"

God, I can't wait to see the main hall.

"And here we have the main hall." The receptionist says, letting us soak it all in, "It was built back in 1937, and through many repairs and refurbishings, L'éclat doré has managed to stay just as beautiful as back then, with all the accessories of a modern club."

Christ, Isn't this beautiful?

The stage is painted is these golden lights, and everything is draped in these beautiful clothes. Ah, it was just as great as I hoped.

I take out my phone and quickly snap a photo before following the receptionist down the glorious spiral staircase.

We walk past many couples are groups, none of which seem to be under 50, and we reach our table.

Directly in front of the stage, with perfect views of every single part of the stage.

The cloth on this table isn't white, it's golden.

"You have a reservation of our 'Golden Table'" The Receptionist says as we take our seats, "Is has been given this title and look due to it widely being known as not only the best table L'éclat doré has to offer, but the best table Lungmen has to offer. Enjoy your night."

She bows and heads back up the main hall.

...

...

...

"Az do you have blackmail on someone?" Exusiai leans over and asks.

"No, I got this for us entirely through legal means." I say.

"But... But how!" Exusiai says.

"I agree with Exusiai, I do want to know how you pulled this off." Texas says, fiddling with her drink glass.

"The answers will all fall into place soon enough, for now, just enjoy the ambiance and the drinks." I say motioning to a waiter, "This could be the best night of our lives, no point wasting away on things like 'why?', just have fun, and get super drunk."

...

"Y'know what, you're right!" Exusiai says, "Waiter, do you have any champagne for me?"

The waiter rushes over and starts talking with Exusiai.

"But, where'd Sora go?" Texas says, "I know boss and Mostima couldn't make it, but Sora was in the car with us."

"All will be answered with time Texas." The waiter now moves to me, "I'll take a Dom Pérignon rosé."

"Ah, great choice Monsieur, that is one of our premium selections and I must say it certainly tastes the part!" The waiter smiles at me, "Would you like the full bottle or just a glass?"

"Full bottle, please." I tell him.

"Great choice Monsieur, is this for the full table or just you."

"For the table, but feel free to talk to Texas over here, I know she has a drink she's been wanting to try." I say, gaining a subtle glare.

"Oh is that so, well then I will be back soon." He turns to Texas, "Besides that, what would you like to try Madam?"

...

"Not even a taste test first. Did you do your research before coming here?" Exusiai asks me.

"Nope." I answer, a smile forming on my face, "I just chose the most expensive drink am allowed to buy."

"Allowed to buy?" Exusiai asks, "Explain, please."

"Well, under my agreement, I'm to get anything food item for free, and anything as expensive or less expensive than the Dom Pérignon rosé for free." I answer.

"Ohhh..." Exusiai says, "This just makes me think you're lying about not blackmailing someone even more."

I just chuckle, "Well, even if I was. Would you even do something about it?"

"Nope!"

Exusiai and I share a laugh.

...

...

...

The light dim.

And the stage lights get brighter.

My attention is drawn, as well as everybody else's.

Once she's performed for an hour, she'll be allowed to come down and join us.

My darling is about to put on the show of a lifetime.

The curtains open, and out comes Sora, dressed in the most beautiful outfit I could ever imagine her wearing.

She takes a couple steps before sitting down on a piano, and propping up an old microphone.

She winks at me before starting her first song.

An old jazzy cover of her most popular song, the room begins clapping immediately.

The rest of the band is slowly introduced by the lights, and before I know it... I'm experiencing the greatest night of my life.

Well, my two lives.

...

"Sora? Why is she up there?" Texas asks.

"This is the deal I made." I answer, "Sora will play for an hour completely free, and we get a full night out free."

"So you didn't blackmail anyone!" Exusiai says, "That is genuinely surprising."

"Well, it's nothing anything I haven't done before."

I turn my attention back to Sora, absolutely killing both the piano and vocals. The waiter comes back with my champagne and pours me a glass before setting it down on the table.

I take a sip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hehe, it's been a while since I've performed in a place like this." Sora says, now comfortably in her chair.

"Well, you were great!" Exusiai says, "I always thought you were a guitar person, but then you bust out the piano skills like it's nothing! Crazy!"

Sora and I chuckle, Exusiai has had maybe just a bit too much to drink.

"You performed very well." I tell her.

"Aw, darling." Sora smiles at me, "No need for flattery."

"It's my purpose to flatter you." I tell her, taking a sip.

...

"I feel like we're all being treated like 3rd wheels." Exusiai says from across the table, staring at us.

"Yeah, you lot can get all lovey-dovey when by yaselfs, we're tryna' get drunk over here!" Croissant half-yells.

"Whatever they said." Texas... I think that's Texas agreeing.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry for leaving you out." I say, "How about we all toast, our food should be coming out soon."

"Great idea!" Croissant immediately lifts her glass in the air.

"Yeah!" Exusiai follows suit.

Sora and I share a chuckle and lift ours, Texas slowly follows.

"Alright!" Exusiai says, taking charge, "To Az's 25th!"

*Clink*

*Clink*

"Yeahehah!" Croissant takes a big sip before falling back down in her chair, ignoring the looks of disgust from behind her.

Exusiai does the exact same.

Texas just takes a solemn sip, sits in her chair, and flashes a smile.

*Clink*

Sora and I share a toast to ourselves.

...

"I love you Azrael."

"I love you too, Sora."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is just a short little chapter celebrating the 1-year anniversary of Living the Dream, but, 1 year. A full year of writing this story (ignoring all the time I spent not writing) and still more to come. It's really hard to put into words what this story means to me. I started writing this story at the literal worst time of my life as a way to escape, and now I genuinely have never been better. I have friends that I'd give my life for, I'm open to talking to random people now and getting to know them, I stopped having nights where I'd just want it to all end, I'm in the best state of mind I've ever been. While Living the Dream has not been a major cause in this, it's been the only thing to truly be with me throughout this transition, and it has a humongous spot in my heart due to that. To be fully honest, once I got my first 500 or-so views, I already imagined this exact moment, but to be living, God it's just amazing. I would not, and probably could not have written this story if it weren't for you all, reading every chapter, voting every chapter, and especially commenting has made this story a beacon for me. For that, I thank you. To end this off then, I'd like to give a quote that is meant to every single reader of this story, thank you, and

"God only knows what I'd be without you"

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

Also,

It's the man himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 241 29
Visitors from Terra / Part II ------- It had been half a year since Amiya and her friends had left Earth. Everyone onboard Rhodes Island though that...
13 0 4
I wake up in my cryo-chamber. Was it time to land on Terrus? No, something was wrong. My suit instantly covered me when I started to feel the lack of...
16 1 17
I've never been one for a good start. I suck at first impressions but I finally know how to start this story that I've been wanting to make for years...
17K 358 9
A mute dragon born has reincarnated into the world of Terra. Stranded into this unknown world he wonder around to this new world where he enjoy the s...