The Devils Of Harvard

By AidinWhite

{Book #2 of The Devils Series} Nathanial Winters' move to Boston for university, states away from his family... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight

Chapter Fifty

62 9 1
By AidinWhite

Driving along the highway was different now I was going back to New Haven to talk with Derek. Nathan on the other hand, had already returned to Harvard with his girlfriend and had told me he was on his way with the boys to have my back when something could go wrong.

That was something I couldn't have back they were like brothers all of them, they all held each other in high regards even if all of them had flaws even the ones that seemed like they couldn't Nathan would know what they were though, and as anyone who had ever seen them all together would expect he would never spill those secrets.

Things were going to get better that was all I hoped for was that things got better, that one by one all the issues would be resolved, figured out, or simply laid to rest after being decided not important.

My thoughts continued to rage ignoring of course that I was driving and merely focusing on the road in front of me while it passed through every conceivable image.

What would happen if this went badly, more so what would happen if I lose another person I care about. That seemed to happen a lot and I don't want it starting to become a common thing losing those that I care about and who care about me.

Eventually I got to New Haven, and the quaint town reminded me that here I was in the presence of various other people like me just not all of them liked me.

That's also because you have a family surrounded by rumours.

I had asked Derek to meet me at a park closer to city center, Nathan had recommended West River Memorial Park where supposedly he could get all of them in a more public area if it came down to it.

The other problem was it was dark out and no one would be able to see anything. The bonus was that the city lights made everything pretty and attractive to the eye.

Parking my RS7 I got out of the car and walked out into the field to wait while waiting for Derek's car to make an appearance though I somewhat doubted he'd park in clear view he was very particular about it.

Then I spotted the vehicle pull in and park on the opposite side of the lot before he got out dressed in slightly ripped jeans a brown leather sherpa wool jacket, and a light grey hoodie underneath his tattoos in clear view and his hair messy on top of his head, a light beard that remained stubbled, and uncut over the past month and a half.

"Scarlett you look... wow" he says a smile playing at his lips.

"You look wow too" I say, and he reaches up to hold the side of my face.

"What did you bring me out here for, I thought we'd catch up at my new place I have a rustic house, I've been renting for a few days now" Derek says gesturing towards his car.

"It's not to reconnect, I wanted to ask something".

A cautious look passed over his face but none the less he nodded and removed his hand from my face pushing them into his pockets and looking unsure of what I was about to ask him.

"I want to know why you didn't tell me you were Matheo Tupier, though I will say two years changed things?" I inquire watching his expression shift and his jaw clench.

He then paces past me and turns back around to face me, "I didn't want you to be afraid of me, I didn't want you to think that I was just using you. I messed up back then and I won't deny that. So I'm sorry I didn't tell you".

I then watch him reach up and grip his hair before turning around and that was when I heard the sound of a vehicle on gravel and turned around to see four Mercedes S580's park in a line and the boys get out all of them dressed sharply for this weather, Nathan in the middle in his characteristic all black.

"Good evening" he says politely looking between me and Derek.

My boyfriend looked pissed staring at Nathan and them all, it was a clear reminder that all of them were a part of my life, even if we'd been separated it all went back to the way I'd been welcomed like family into their lives.

"You thought I'd hurt you, so you asked them to be here" Derek says pain flashing in his eyes.

Then the crunch of the snow and frostbitten ground reminded me just who was behind me.

"Actually this was my suggestion, because you see. I may know you are a changed man Derek but this is the reminder that I will always be there to protect the people that matter most to me, and Scarlett matters to me, and the boys. She's like a sister to all of us".

"You're the fucking son of the devil" Derek seethes and I look to Nathan who stood unfazed in front of my boyfriend.

"I've heard that one before, unfortunately you're seeing the pinnacle of a legacy that took fifty years to be built. So I've heard every insult you could call me".

"How about how you remind me of a prowling wolf, always looking to ruin and take, peeling at the scraps. Is there some piece in you that still loves her so you pine for her since she left you" Derek spat and I was realizing that calm was being met with anguish and I didn't want to be in the middle.

"The wolf of New York how poetic" Nathan hums as the boys stood behind him moved to form a place for me to slip behind unnoticed by the two squabbling men, though one was in more control then the other.

"Also if you must know, I don't love Scarlett anymore, however I am the reason that you got your second chance, I helped her repair herself, even if worried about who I was. I can at least protect the people I care about" he adds stepping closer to a tight fisted Derek.

"Now I am not asking you to like me, keep in mind I don't bloody care; however lying to her, and keeping secrets will for sure lead to her turning on you, I've seen it happen, and out of shear respect I don't wish to see you lose the second chance you've spent years getting back, and now five months to earn. Or else you will lose a lot more then just a good woman" Nathan warned casting a thin veiled glare at Derek.

"You know someone needs to do it" Derek mutters.

"And what might that-" Nathan's response is cut short as he is punched square in the jaw causing the boys to shift silencing my gasp, all the while Nathan turns his body to take away any impact before looking back at my boyfriend while blood dripped from his nose.

"You're not worth leaving a bloody pulp beside a river. and I'm feeling sparing" Nathan smirked in only the way he could before turning and walking away towards the group.

"Decide if you're coming with us, or going with him" he directs towards me and I look between the raven haired man walking towards his car then the one who looked angry and was still silently seething.

"I'll make the choice easy for you" Derek says taking out his keys and stalking off towards his car and getting in under the gaze of the four boys who watched him leave in cool silence.

"I didn't expect that" I hear Nathan breathe before opening the back door of his car and getting in while the boys followed suit though Lucian waited a moment to turn to me.

"Ride with him, it'll make him feel better about how this just turned out. It'll also give him time to apologize" the brunette says before he slid into the car and pulled the shiny black door shut behind him while I made my way around the back of Nathan's car before getting in.

I didn't say a single word as I did all the while taking in the custom made back seat area of the car. Screens were built out of the front seats, along with reclining seats, a partition wall and automatic shades in the back of the car.

"Not quite as luxurious as my parents but I did have a fleet of car ordered for my use, I just offered to have them used for this specific outing" Nathan says opening the glove compartment then the fridge and taking out two glasses and a greenish bottle of champagne before filling both glasses only to hand one to me as he put the bottle away.

"Trying to get me drunk, won't make me feel better".

"It's non alcoholic, and I'm going back to Boston, I'll have you driven home tomorrow morning. For tonight I am going to have you stay at my penthouse, I need to be in the main city for school, and work".

Nathan then propped up his feet, and had the chair recline before finding the headset for his side of the car.

"I have to be in Yale in two days" I say looking over at Nathan.

"I'm aware, I also need to inform Arilynn that I'll be home soon and that you will be staying with us just for tonight, it'll give you and Derek time to think" he says before dialing his girlfriend and lifting the phone to his ear while also finding a movie to watch.

"Hi love... yes everything is alright, Scarlett is just having a row with Derek and needs a place to stay... yes I offered, I'm not going to let someone be in harms way, besides I don't trust hotels in New Haven".

Nathan then stopped to listen to Arilynn's response using the time to take a sip from his glass as we all moved towards Boston in a convoy.

"Babe, you didn't need to do all that... compassion is going to make me keep you forever... no Vesper can't hear me the partition glass is up... we can do that when I get home".

Nathan then closed all the shades making the back seat relatively dark, spare for the glass that divided the driver and back seat passengers.

"I love you too, I'll see you when I get home Arilynn" Nathan hums before hanging up a small smile on his lips as he slipped the phone into his pocket and turned on the movie he was watching before picking up the headphones and slipping them on.

I had nothing better to do on the two hour drive so I did the only sensible thing and turned on my own screen before checking the headphone space and putting on my own pair to listen to the movie as we continued the journey towards Boston.

When we eventually made it to the city where Nathan and the boys were going to school I opened the shade on my side of the car and stared around at the city where they were all living and I couldn't quite get rid of the feeling of awe looking at it even if I had gotten used to New York the previous year.

I then spotted the W Residences building where I assumed Nathan lived based on the fact the cars had pulled to the curb along side it and the boys cars were dotting the curb. The building was tall perhaps just as tall as the Louviere Financial building in New York.

"Welcome to where I am now living in Boston" Nathan says shutting off the screens and opening the shades along with the partition before we put the headphones away and got out of the car.

Turning from looking around I saw Nathan's face and the purple bruise on it, I then gasped softly before clamping my mouth shut as he looks at me.

"Nathan your face" I say.

"I know, I saw it in the reflection when I got out. Come on lets get inside, my security will return these to my valet spots" he says and sticks his hands in his pockets before walking up the steps and into the building followed by me while the boys nodded and left in their own timely fashion.

Crossing the lobby we stepped into the elevator and Nathan pressed the button for the top floor where I assume his and Arilynn's penthouse was.

A moment later the door dinged and we walked out into a white, black, and grey apartment with floor to ceiling windows mostly white furniture, excluding the grey and black kitchen.

"Mi amor?" Nathan sung into the apartment and Arilynn walked out of the kitchen with a bright smile on her face with her hair up in a tight bun and glasses covering her brown eyes. She was dressed in skinny jeans and a turtlenecked shirt. Arilynn came off as very classy though the Hamilton family was known for being in many wealthy circles so it seemed their daughter was rubbed off on by them.

"Nathanial" she beams before he wraps her in a hug lifting her up slightly before setting her back on her feet allowing her to step back.

"What happened to your face?" she asks suddenly having a softness blanket her features before she gently reached up and touched the bruise only to watch Nathan shut his eyes to stop from wincing.

"Here sit down I can treat it, then we can get Scarlett settled in" Arilynn says before rushing off down the hallway towards what I'd guess was their room.

"I'm sorry that Derek punched you" I say watching him move into the living room and sit down in a circular chair.

"I probably deserve it I was a bit of an ass" he says and I stand cross armed while leaning against one of the built in marble pillars though if I had to guess it was a thinly cut sheet.

"Why didn't you punch him back, I thought you would".

"He's your boyfriend and in that moment he saw me as the reason for the confrontation, he also probably felt betrayed hence why he also was the first one to leave" Nathan reasons before looking out towards the window and the city.

"There has to be a reason all of the Winters love standing or being near windows to look at cities like you own them".

"Because we came from nothing more then the trash filled gutter streets of London when the ports would reek of fish and entrails. When no one could become more then their position there is an entire century of Winters Family history that get's forgotten yet they named Henry based off of when he was born in the dead of winter 1892. There is a lot in my dad's study" Nathan explains, "it's our vengeance that all of the world now fears our name, that nothing will hold any of us down".

At that moment Arilynn entered the room and kneeled in front of Nathan to treat the bruise.

"There isn't much I can do besides apply aloe vera and ice it" she says apologetically.

"It's perfectly alright Arilynn" he says leaning forward and turning his head so that she could apply the gel onto the bruise.

"Sorry for your vanity" she adds taking out a long white towel and standing to collect about five ice pieces that looked more like slices and set them in a way that they would cover the bruise evenly before folding the towel in two spots and then wrapping it around his head and tied it.

"Still handsome though" Nathan smirks and Arilynn gives him a flat look while I rolled my eyes.

"Come on let's find our guest somewhere to sleep, you make dinner since you can't really talk like that" Arilynn says leading me off through the penthouse.

"I made the bedroom at the end of this hall the far side just past the kitchen is me and Nathan's room" she explains gesturing before we passed an office, and another bedroom along with a separate bathroom until getting to the third bedroom in the house which looked and smelled recently cleaned with a wood wicked candle.

"Thank you Arilynn" I say looking around at the full size bed, wooden night stands, and a serpentine cushioned chair in the corner by a small shelf area with a TV atop it.

"You're welcome, Nathan cares deeply, but doesn't trust easy so I have a good feeling about you" Arilynn says giving me a smile as she leaned in the doorway.

"You have no reason to trust me yet you do" I say.

"Everyone deserves a chance, I learned that in this family".

"The Winters welcomed you in I take it".

"Very quickly weirdly enough" Arilynn reflects furrowing her eyebrows.

"That's good, you seem like a sweet girl, and even if Nathan will suck at words any promise he has made to you he'll keep, even if it breaks him" I inform and she gives me a puzzled look.

"Everything Nathan is he learned from his dad, Adrian is his role model, and even if Nathan is the diluted version he is the more reactive one, Adrian thinks, Nathan just does. You'll balance him out I think, I just fueled it" I say with a slight laugh.

"How did it all sort of crumble, he's never fully explained it?" Arilynn asks shutting the door as she sat down in the chair while I leaned on the foot board.

"I got him to come to Central Park and told him I couldn't be together with him, there was no other reason aside from I didn't think I could deal with the stress of long distance. I coped with parties and he chose to push on with his dream" I explain. 

"Nathan wanted a normal calm life, and though he may not always get it I just hope you'll be the peace he's seeked his whole life. He dealt with strong perfectionism when we were together, I didn't feel like I was right even if he welcomed me into his life, I don't think I ever was meant to be that close to him in that way" I continue and Arilynn nods slowly, her hands flat on her thighs.

"I just want to see him happy, and stress free" the girl in front of me says.

"I can tell you're giving him that, the cute domesticated life that you two seem to live when together. It's just what he wanted, and I'd never be able to just live that, I'm too new money to live like old money. His demons will come up though, the inadequacy, and the pressure he will put on himself".

"I've been able to help him escape his head a few times".

"It's a cycle of violence and perfectionism that started a long time before either of us were born. Nathan's grandfather forced Adrian to be perfect, apparently it made him an angry kid. Even as an adult he holds that the pain, tried to keep his kids from it. Nathan thought he had to be like his dad, have people fear and respect him. Adrian tried I think you know that from the speech at the gala, Nathan now just will need someone to help support him as he becomes CEO of Winters Group".

"You sound like you could be his sister" Arilynn says with an amused look.

"No, I just want to see him have the peace and happiness I couldn't give him Arilynn, simple as that. He's happier with you then he was with me, that's what matters. You can care about someone and still be willing to walk away. He also gave me chances, taught me how to be confident inside and out. Now I need to do that with Derek, give him a second chance to be open with me".

"Well, if you ever need anything Scarlett, just reach out. Oh and something you should know, just don't repeat it to Nathan" she says moving towards the door before turning to face me.

"He broke his own rule to keep all of us safe from the battle brewing between your dad and his parents. To protect you, so he may have moved on but Nathan will always be there to protect the people he cares about whoever they are".

"That's Nathan, he's a protector, it's why him just acting is his best and worst trait. He'll get himself in fights but they'll be worth it".

"I know. Now come on Nathan has probably made something for us all to eat before bed" Arilynn beckons and opens the door leaving with me not far behind.

This was a long ass chapter but it was worth it. Comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 677 80
{Book #1 of The Devils Series} Thornbrook Academy the school some of the world's most successful people attended, and the domain of the children of t...
Forever Bound By Sar

Teen Fiction

6K 89 40
Book Two of Three. Skylar and Blake have been dating almost 6 months. They have always been close friends, and that hasn't stopped. If anything, it's...
1.1K 244 22
Ru and her friends are College students who live in a relatively tranquil neighborhood in their small town. When they start 2nd year in the fall, the...
198K 5.4K 76
"Why didn't you tell me you like it rough?" Nathan says excitedly as he pulls me on top of him, moving against me without actually entering me. "I ca...