The Devils Of Harvard

By AidinWhite

{Book #2 of The Devils Series} Nathanial Winters' move to Boston for university, states away from his family... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

61 5 1
By AidinWhite

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!" I heard Nathan yell and coming down the stairs to the hallway that ran the parameter of the North half of the renaissance styled penthouse that towered sixteen floors over the city just not quite as much as some of the other buildings.

The hallway was white painted with black trim, the flooring was lined in black marble, and decadent art. Nathan had barely gotten back from his morning run through Monte Carlo, his jogging pants and hoodie still on except now the hood was off and his tousled uncombed hair flopped around atop his head in annoyance as he talked to whoever was on the other side of the phone.

"Listen, I don't care about the petty wars that are going on in the background but I can promise you that if you are questioning my family's capability if you ever levy anything of the sort against them I will make sure that your demise is swift Mr. Morgenstern".

Nathan then stood in silence clenching his jaw as he listened to whatever it was that this Mr. Morgenstern was saying.

"Perhaps I should remind you that I hold more power and influence then you could have possibly cultivated in a millennium. I'm more then aware that Winters Group International has a specific asset management firm that holds majority stake of your company, I could put in a favour and have you silenced at my nearest inconvenience. Do your part, get your people to dig into it, and resolve the bloody problem. Or of course if you're not what you claim to be I can remove you, pick carefully".

And with that Nathan hung up and stopped to bask in the warmth of the sun, though it wasn't very warm this morning.

"What's going on?" I ask not meaning to insert myself into Nathan's business but if I could help relieve him of tension or stress, I'd do my best.

"Gerard Morgenstern, he's the CEO for a private investigations company, used by many people who would ask to remain unmentioned. Mostly it's the result of my dad's vision to build a company so powerful no one could challenge it. No one will oppose you if you know all their secrets, and we have those well documented".

"So powerful you can change anything in the world".

"It's not unheard of for us to tamper slightly with what happens with our opponents" he says walking over to me and I just laugh lightly with a shake of my head.

"I would say I'm surprised but I'm not. Something even makes me wonder if you goad business opponents for fun because you know none of them can do a damn thing back at you" I muse.

"There is a lot going on in the background Arilynn, and a lot of it I don't want you to get tied up in. For your safety".

"Do you doubt I could defend myself?" I pose and he hums.

"No, I'm more then certain you could, it's the fact that I am purposely trying to make my own reputation, and during the ascent people get hurt, and are targets. This isn't wonderland where everyone's dreams come true, unfortunately I will end up destroying people's lives".

"Considering I just heard you yell into a phone just not I'd say that's true" I say and Nathan remains silent as he head shifted in thought not really looking anywhere specific.

"I don't like lazy people, especially when they complain about things that are a part of their jobs. They knew what they were doing, and part of the reason I pay so much to my staff is because there are so many and I require them to earn their money" he says.

"Anyways what are you doing wandering the halls of my penthouse?".

"I was looking at some of your paintings, I never realized you paint but you have a whole room dedicated to it".

"Painting is a form of control every aspect is in the creators hand, it's also why I often use it as a metaphor for life. We are all entrusted with a canvas and some are colourful others are dark, some like the one in my office on the Syren are different as you look at it from different angles".

"Is there a painting you relate to?" I ask and he hums before walking around to the far side of the penthouse following the hallway until he stopped at an image that seemed like a face while layers were done in colour to make it seem like there are over a dozen.

"I used to feel like I had to put on the show of the perfect son, the perfect student, the perfect boyfriend, the perfect everything. But really I just wanted to be the perfect me to myself. It also makes me think about us, the faces we'll have to show especially since there is going to be a lot of media around you and I".

"And I'm sure we can handle it, beside I doubt you're camera shy" I tease and he smirks before moving up a set of steps that led into the dining room and connected to the kitchen and living room where our friend were collected looking south over the marina, and what was left of a building that was being renovated near the water.

"To answer my question, no I'm not. People will come for you, they won't like you, and rumours will spread. So I guess you have your work cut out for you, though I don't doubt you could do it" Nathan informs as we entered the living room and found places to sit.

"They all can find better things to do then dig into my life" I say and I see both of Nathan's sisters smile.

"She is going to fit in with our family perfectly for a very long time" Izzy says and I lightly smile watching Nathan consider his siblings while his finger rubbed his lower lip. He had this habit and it was distracting.

You sound whipped Arilynn.

"Speaking of perfect one Natalia Raye has vanished, where too I don't know thought there is a bit too much going on at one time. Too many pieces and coincidences that I've been paying attention too. We are unaware of the plan going on but there is something, and I hope to keep you all from it if I'm being blunt, you should all know that as much".

"How do you plan to do that?" Abigail asks looking at her brother along with every one present. Anticipation hung in the air like

"Taking a page straight from our dad's playbook. I've already paid for extra security, and a change in how we move around for at least the next few months. This does include myself, certain members I've deemed more focused targets have different security measures" Nathan explains, "we remember last year with Carrick De'Vincent, no member of the Louviere family is allowed near any of us, and Natalia Raye is being investigated for a long list of things".

I then watched him pick up a glass before filling it with a bottle only to raise it to his lips.

"What are the extent of this?" Lucian asks looking to Nathan with a cautious expression.

"Whatever I deem necessary. Also I won't be elaborating, this is the limited amount of information you all need to be concerned with".

"Just like our father" Izzy mutters covering her face and then looking to her mischievously cunning brother. "If you commit something illegal, be aware of the repercussions Nathanial".

Nathan smirked slyly, much like one might expect a serial manipulator to do, though there was a slight difference. Nathan only did things for reasons known to himself, and explained as good. I had heard all the stories, and I wasn't going to pretend I didn't like being kept in the dark; however I'd accept it for the sake that he had a plan and it was usually going to work.

The reactions around the room also confirmed what I suspected that there was indeed a power dynamic with all of them and at the top always was Nathan though on the flip side of that he knew that he knew when and how to have everything go exactly how he wanted without effecting his friends lives unless absolutely necessary.

He'd been slowly embracing that his instincts were so similar to his crudely, efficient father who had left an empire of takeovers and fear to be the crown of the family legacy. I may not like my parents but they had always taught me to follow my judgement and the control, and dark aspect of Nathan was alluring to me even if all girls are told dangerous men should be avoided.

That is until the danger fades away and I am reminded that it's all a veiled disguise, carefully cultivated to hold power in the highest esteem, there was someone who was kind and gentle, who would protect me from everything that could possibly endanger me. I'd always wanted someone to love me purely, and protect me while I supported them as best as I could.

I got what I wished for.

"Well if that's the case I want to get out of the penthouse while it's sunny I want to go shopping, while Nathan plans how to take over the world" I say casting a teasing smirk at him as I stood which got a reaction out of his siblings and friends who let out short laughter as Nathan seemed to ponder something.

I'll find out later.

Getting to the entryway of the penthouse I took one of the keys for the Flying Spur and stepped into the elevator to be carried down to the garage level of the building.

I wish I wasn't the author of these books and characters sometimes because this series specifically the next book and the rest of this one is extremely messy and it definitely leaves a few questions. Comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5M 107K 46
Isobel and Nathan must work to keep their romance alive when changes in their circumstances threaten to take a toll on it...
Forever Bound By Sar

Teen Fiction

6K 89 40
Book Two of Three. Skylar and Blake have been dating almost 6 months. They have always been close friends, and that hasn't stopped. If anything, it's...
46.5K 1.3K 66
{Book #4 of The Winters Series} Five years out of school, and five years that Winters Group had prospered and grown after it's full reset. But some a...
594K 15.6K 69
{Book #1 of The Winters Series} Adrian Winters was among the richest children in the United States, along with his three closest friends Nicholas Har...