Behind the Mask

By theEveofChaos

Widow Marissa Ryland has fought to make a name for herself in the legal field. After her husband's untimely... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Epilogue

Chapter 84

1.6K 82 0
By theEveofChaos

Multiple POVs

Erica's POV

When Luke had me call Kota I never expected to find myself in the middle of their plan. "You can do this, Amore Mio," Arthur said, with his hands on my shoulders. I sighed. I hadn't even discussed my blossoming relationship with Kota. He was so worried about Jessica and Trish getting involved with Luca that he didn't notice the addition of Kristoff or the connection between Arthur and me. When Gabriel had been shot, he didn't hesitate to fly down to comfort me. Mafia or not, that was the sign of a good-hearted man.

"Can you stay in the room in case I miss something?" I asked him. He nodded and sat nearby as I dialed the phone.

Lily picked up on the second ring. "Hey Erica, how are you?"

I took a shaky breath, "Have you seen the news recently? There've been some issues - it's a bit rough here."

She paused, "I saw about Gabriel. How is everyone holding up? Any festivities planned?" Her phrasing let me know she understood.

"The usual shenanigans," I responded.

"Oh shoot, I have a client. Can I call you back?" Lily asked. Victor nodded.

"Of course," I replied. "I'll be here all day." I hung up the call and looked at Victor who was watching the monitor. The screen pinged and he quickly opened the screen to see Lily and Harry Anderson staring at us.

"Okay, what the hell is going on that you dragged Erica into this?" Harry demanded.

I replied before anyone else could, "It was the only way to keep them and Lily safe, Harry. The Academy has put out a contract on Lily - they're sending Marrisa after her." They both gaped and I noticed Lily begin to shake slightly.

"I never thought they'd do it," she whispered. "I mean, it's been years - why now?"

"They're cleaning house," Arthur interjected. "They've put a contract out for Dr. Green as well, and I assume the others will follow soon enough if we don't stop them."

"And who the hell are you?" Harry gruffed.

Arthur inclined his head, "Sorry, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Arthur Carini. I'm here to help Erica and her family in any way I can." I saw the recognition come over both their faces and reached out to take Arthur's hand in mine.

"Where are you?" Lily asked.

"We're in Italy. At the Giovanni family compound to be specific," Victor replied. "Before you ask, yes we are working with several mafia families to help rescue Marissa and hopefully end the Academy once and for all."

"So I'm assuming you have a plan to help keep Lily safe?" Harry asked.

Owen cleared his throat, "We do, but you may not like it. Are you familiar with the Pappas family in Greece?" They both groaned as Owen started explaining everything.

North's POV

It had been years since Silas and I had been in Athens. Driving the streets we used to work as rebellious teens was interesting. Silas grunted as a boy darted in front of the car, making me slam my brakes. We chuckled as we watched his friend trying to panhandle the now-stopped cars. We had pulled the same scams as boys. The trick was to distract one window while the other kid would reach through another open window and snatch whatever looked like it might earn money - purses, phones, computers, etc. We quickly rolled up our windows all but a thin slit and held out a twenty-dollar bill from each window. The boys grinned and nodded, realizing we knew their ruse.

When we pulled up in front of the Pappas villa, Nico was already coming down the steps to greet us. "North, Silas, how are you my friends?" he said, pulling us into a hug and slapping our backs.

"We've been better, Nico," Silas replied, "We really appreciate your help."

"How's Atlas?" I asked, following him inside.

"Bossy as ever," Nico grinned.

"I'm not bossy, son, just demanding," the older Pappas said as he came down the stairs.

"Atlas," I said as he pulled me into a fierce hug.

He crushed me against him and I heard his voice crack, "My boys, it's good to have you home, even for a little while." When he let go of me, he pulled Silas into a similar embrace. "Now, tell me how we can help," he said when he finally let go.

"The Academy has put a hit out for Lily Anderson - Marissa is the contract. We need to fake Lily's death, get her to safety and make the Academy believe Marissa did her job," I explained.

"Do we need to extract Marissa?" Nico asked.

Silas shook his head, "No, she's on her way to Italy. Once there, we have a plan to take down the Academy on a global scale. We just need to keep her safe for now, as well as Lily."

Atlas rubbed at his beard. "We need to speak with the Andersons discreetly," he mused, "We don't want to alert the Academy to our involvement. Keeping us on the side will help in the final move." He motioned toward an armed man and whispered in his ear. When the man nodded and walked out of the room, Atlas turned toward us and clapped his hands together, "Come, let's get you settled. Armon will notify Nico when the Andersons are contacted."

We spent the next few hours visiting and reminiscing about our early teenage years until Armon came into the room and spoke quietly to Atlas. A frown crossed his face and he spoke angrily, "Den me noiázei ti théloun oi anóitoi! Synodépste tous sto xenodocheío akóma ki an prépei na tous apagágete," ("I don't care what the fools want! Escort them to the hotel even if you must kidnap them,") he said angrily. "Seems your Andersons are a stubborn bunch. No matter, they will be at the hotel shortly. Just how do you plan to contact your woman?"

"I think I can help with that," Victor's voice came from behind us. "And I brought backup," he said and jerked his thumb toward Gabriel. Silas and I were out of our seats in an instant pulling him into our arms.

He looked pale but determined as we both kissed him. "We've missed you," Silas croaked, wiping tears from the corners of his eyes.

Gabe choked, "Stop, you fuckers are making my eyes get all puffy." We all laughed at his false protests, kissing him more. "So where's spitfire now?" he finally sputtered.

Victor tapped on his computer screen. "Somewhere over the Atlantic."

"Then I guess we need to go speak with Lily and her men," I said as we headed out to the hotel where Atlas had 'escorted' the Anderson family.

Jackson's POV

I pushed her hair away from her face, watching her even breathing. She looked so peaceful, her face still slightly flushed from our lovemaking late last night. We were only a few days away from our new lives, and I couldn't be happier. I pressed my lips to her forehead, then whispered, "Time to wake up, Rissa." She stirred, eyes opening, and smiled at me. "Hey beautiful, how are you feeling?"

She stretched like a lazy cat and giggled, "A bit sore, but good."

I pulled her into a kiss, "Sorry, you were just too damn tempting last night." She blushed as I trailed kisses along her neck. "Why don't you take a hot shower and I'll have room service delivered. You have an appointment today at one, remember?" Marissa nodded her head, kissed my cheek, and headed toward the bathroom. After she had closed the door, I placed the order and waited in the front room. I was lost in thought when there was a knock at the door.

"Good morning, Jackson," Murdoch said as he pushed in the room service cart. "Has she woken up yet?"

"She's in the shower and should be out any moment," I answered as I began to set up the table. I looked up as I heard her soft footfalls entering the room. She was breathtaking. Her hair was pulled up in a tight ponytail and she wore a form-fitting bodysuit. She carried an oversized bag and was clean of all makeup.

"Good morning, Dr. Murdoch," she said cheerily. "Are you joining us for breakfast?"

"No, I just wanted to stop in and make sure you were ready for today's assignment, Marissa," he replied, sitting down in an overstuffed chair.

She stepped into my arms, nuzzling my neck, and laughed, "Of course, I'm ready, silly. It's just a simple pop-and-go." She grabbed a strawberry off the plate and hummed as she bit into it. "Will either of you be joining me?"

I shook my head, "Not this time, love. Dr. Murdoch and I have an appointment in the city. The board wants us to be visible to avoid suspicion. We will meet you back here at the hotel at three o'clock." She nodded and I pulled out a chair for her to sit on. The three of us continued to make small talk over breakfast and I felt myself relax as her behavior stayed consistent and compliant. I couldn't help but grin at her affectionate mannerisms. She frequently made contact with my hands or legs as if it were the most natural thing in the world for her. More than once, Murdoch made eye contact with me, smiling and nodding. The conditioning seemed to be working fluidly.

Placing a kiss on her head, I stepped to the safe and pulled out the disassembled rifle she would be using. I placed it on the small table next to us and she eyed it. "May I?" she asked.

"Of course," I replied. We watched as she quickly inspected the parts then rapidly assembled the weapon and adjusted the sights. I swear her eyes were gleaming as she held the gun.

She searched around and frowned, "Only two bullets?"

"My dear, knowing your accuracy, you will only need one," I reassured her. Her cheeks flushed crimson and she grinned. "Now, we will drop you off in the plaza. Do your best to blend in and make sure you police the rooftop before you leave," I reminded her.

She scowled, "Jackson, I know what I'm doing. I'll be fine, I promise."

I stared at her pouting lips and gave in, pulling her to me. My lips crashed against hers and I growled low. She let out a soft moan. "I know Marissa, but you can't blame me for worrying about my wife and daughter." She returned my kiss and nodded, then lingered in my arms, her arms wrapped around me.  

Author's Notes:  Hmmm....what to do, what to do...

Please follow, vote, comment, and share!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.7K 1.5K 29
Joanna is a photographer on a mission to capture the woods in spring in all of their new budding glory. When a snow storm forces her to find shelter...
185K 8.4K 87
Young and in love - a reckless combination. When Mattie discovers she's pregnant at the tender age of 15, her family sends her away. She spends the...
144K 5.9K 42
Jasmine had a best friend for years then one day she woke up and he was just gone. No note, nothing. She learned how to move on with her life without...
239K 5.9K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...