Dropping The Crown

By MavelineBelle

"Stay away from my son or you'll regret you ever became a maid here." Meet Adani. A beautiful woman, despera... More

Greetings
Chapter 1: Hell At Home
Chapter 2: What Changed?
Chapter 3: What Lies Beneath
Chapter 4: Stuck In The Middle
Chapter 5: Not Alone
Chapter 6: A Friend In Need
Chapter 7: Back In Time
Chapter 8: Confronted
Chapter 9: Riddance
Chapter 10: Everyone Has A Story
Chapter 11: Truth
Chapter 12: At The Starting Line
Chapter 13: The Mother
Chapter 14: For Your Information
Chapter 15: Commands
Chapter 16: Full House
Chapter 17: Rich People Drama
Chapter 18: Penelope
Chapter 19: Outside
Chapter 20: Caution Signs
Chapter 21: Party Woos
Chapter 22: Dress Up
Chapter 23: Territorial
Chapter 24: Adjustment
Chapter 25: Friends
Chapter 26: Touch Of Class
Chapter 27: Atmosphere
Chapter 28: Do We Have A Problem?
Chapter 29: The Drama Is Never Ending
Chapter 30: Shattered
Chapter 31: Walk The Walk
Chapter 32: Blown Away
Chapter 33: Exhale To Inhale
Chapter 34: Weathering Night
Chapter 35: The Influencer
Chapter 36: Step Up
Chapter 37: We Jammin'
Chapter 38: Bliss
Chapter 39: Peace And Pieces
Chapter 40: Over It
Chapter 41: Gala Storm
Chapter 42: Don't Throw It All Away
Chapter 43: You And I
Chapter 44: Last Straw
Chapter 45: Hell Wouldn't Freezeth
Chapter 46: Old Friend
Chapter 47: Up Close And Personal
Chapter 48: Without A Doubt
Chapter 50: No Family Like This
Chapter 51: Acceptance
Chapter 52: The Sister
Chapter 53: Another One?
Chapter 54: Freaky Deaky
Chapter 55: Point Made
Chapter 56: Let's Make Up
Chapter 57: Talk Your Shit!
Chapter 58: Traps
Chapter 59: Hot And Cold Hearts
Chapter 60: Weathering The Storm
Chapter 61: Nobody's Burden
Chapter 62: Blameworthy
Chapter 63: Why You Don't Like Me
Chapter 64: Different Directions
Chapter 65: Let's Share
Chapter 66: Son-Shine
Chapter 67: Unbreakable
Chapter 68: The Day Cometh
Chapter 69: All Of You
Chapter 70: Lion King
DROPPING THE CROWN (Book 2)

Chapter 49: Webs Of The Past

3.4K 203 65
By MavelineBelle

Adani's POV

"You ought to be ashamed of YOURSELF!" Mrs. Parriston yelled from across the room.

"Mom, you're invading our privacy," Ricardo retaliated but the look on his mother's face could have scared a black bear back to its cave.

"You're really dating her, she's really your girlfriend, Ricardo!?"

"Yes and yes. Why is that so hard for you to understand?" he questioned. Ricardo stood up from his chair, found her purse and handed it to her, "I'll need my keys back."

She threw them at him, turned on her heels and slammed the door after her. He then looked at me with apologetic eyes before coming over to pull me into a hug.

"I'm sorry about that and about her. Would you like to spend the night in my bedroom tonight?" he asked, "Please say yes."

"Okay. We can spend tonight together and I hope your mom doesn't have a spare key to your bedroom," I responded.

"No way."

We spent the night in each others' arms.

___________

The following weekend, it was my mother's birthday and Ricardo and I were on the way to visit her.

"Think your mom is going to like me?" he asked, smoothing over his sleeves to bypass his anxiety.

"Hey, my mom would."

"I can already sense that she'll be guarded  for anyone who takes an interest in her daughter."

"Try not to think too much about it. Just relax and be yourself. She can see through any pretence. She prefers authentic people," I adviced.

~
After half an hour or so, we arrived at my mom's house.

"My darling. You're just in time," mom greeted as we walked through the door. She came over and engulfed me with one of her comforting and familiar hugs. I welcomed the embrace.

"Mom, this is my boyfriend, Ricardo Parriston. Ricardo, this is my mom, Alexis Prime," I introduced.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss. Prime, and happy birthday," Ricardo said and extended his hand for a shake.

Mom didn't return the gesture.

Ricardo's hand fell back to his side with shame. At that moment, several people poured into the living room with warm smiles and greetings. My relatives. The people I haven't seen since I was a child.

At one point, I've forgotten I even had relatives. Aunts and uncles and cousins.
As everyone else mingled, I pulled my mom to the side, away from anyone's ear.

"That was some kind of greeting," I expressed.

"I didn't know he was coming," she answered poorly.

"So that's a valid reason to not shake his hand, ma?"

"Adani, baby, I can't see you hurt again, I really can't. And..."

"He's not Wayan, mama!"

"I know that. But men like Ricardo are too unpredictable. These rich and successful men are always on the hunt for the next best thing. You could wake up one day and find yourself single and alone. That's my fear about this situation."

"We're in a relationship."

"Your walls should be higher than mine."

"Alexis! The cake is here! And someone needs to turn up the music!" one of my uncles yelled. We laughed and went out to the backyard where the tables, food, drinks and cake were being set up.

"Thank you everyone for coming. I have my beautiful daughter here with me.. and her friend, Ricardo," my mom announced. Some whispers followed after the mention of Ricardo's name.

Isn't he that millionaire guy?

What is he doing here though?

Is Adani his girlfriend?

He likes black girls, I had no idea!

"Simpletons!" I thought.

The music picked up and everyone started grooving. Ricardo and I went back inside and I showed him upstairs to my childhood bedroom.

"This is Adani Prime," I said and opened the door. My mom kept everything the exact same way although she did clean up.. a lot! But the posters, books, magazines, comics and my bedsheets and covers were the same as the day I left it.

"I can't believe this drawing is still there," I said as my eyes landed on a drawing I created since kindergarten.

"Looks like it's your mom, your dad and you, right?" Ricardo asked.

"Yeah," I answered. I reached for it, tore off my father then placed my mom and I back on the wall, "That's the way it should have been."

"Baby, are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Let's go back outside before your mom thinks something else."

~
We got outside and got ready to sing the Happy Birthday song. My uncle snapped one of those pointed hats on mom as she sat down and get ready to blow out her candles.

"Happy birthday!" we cheered after she made her wish and blew out the candles.

"Hope I'm not too late." The voice I dreaded. I was silently hoping he wouldn't show up.

"Miss. Prime, happy birthday."

"What are you doing here, Wayan?" my mother asked in shock and anger.

"I come in peace."

"You're weren't invited! You need to leave!" mom said. Her hold tightened on the knife she was using to cut her cake.

"Miss. Prime, I got you a present."

"I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN PRESENT! I WANT YOU OFF MY PROPERTY!"

"Mom," I said to ease the tension. I took the knife away from her before she could have done anything else with it.

"Wayan, you need to leave. You're not welcome here," I said as I turned to him.

"I want to talk to you," he answered.

"I don't want to talk to you. You need to leave right now."
Everyone gathered around me.

"Oh I see, you have your army now. Where were they when you needed them?" he asked with malice.

"We're here now, asshole! And you need to get out before we take you out," one of my sassy aunts replied to him.

"Fine. I'll leave." He eyed me and Ricardo before he turned away and left.

"Can you believe that clown, trying to crash my birthday!" mom said.

"Ma. He's gone and he's irrelevant. Let's resume. Where's my slice of cake?"

The party continued until it was dark out. Then everyone started saying their goodbyes and goodnights until it was only Ricardo and I left with mom.

"Thanks for helping me clean up," mom said to us.

"No problem."

"And Ricardo, thank you for taking care of my Adani. She's everything and more to me. Earlier, if I made you feel unwelcome, I apologize."

"Miss. Prime, it's fine. I understand. I know how guarded a mother can be."

"Now, it's time for your present from us," I said. I got the blindfold and guided my mom to her driveway. Once there, I released the blindfold.

"A car! You got me a car?!" mom exclaimed with delight.

"It was Ricardo's idea."

"Thank you. Thank you so much."

"Adani told me about the issues you were having with the one you had so I thought this was fitting for a gift. I hope you like it."

"Like it, I love it! I can't thank you enough."

"You're welcome. Please visit us one day."

"I will."

____________

And one day, mom did visit us. It was a pleasure giving her a tour of the mansion and she took a liking to the meals Beth prepared.

We headed back to the main living room.

"My legs hurt," mom said and flopped onto the couch.

The front doors opened and Mrs. Parriston stalked in.

"Where's my son?" she asked.

"How did you get in here, you handed over your keys, Mrs. Parriston."

"Not the spares. Where's my son?"

I knew she had spares! She handed over the first keys too easily!

"He's at work."

"Hmm. And that's why you're having his place crowded with your people?" she asked another question.

My mom stood up. "Who's this woman and why is she speaking to you as if she don't have no damn sense?"

"Mom, this is Ricardo's mother."

"Corrine." Mom said.

"Alexis," Mrs. Parriston responded. The two women stared at each other with hate and once again, I was stuck in the middle.

______________
A/N
It's about to go down!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.4K 4.4K 63
"She don't want my money She don't want nobody She just wants loyalty She wants my loyalty. "
2.1K 192 29
❝I called and texted but you never responded, you didn't care about me and how I felt when you left. I was in pain and you weren't there❞, my words q...
1.9M 106K 51
Zenia Blackman had a deep dark secret, which caused her to be fearful of falling in love. But there was one guy who was determined to make her fall...
12.8K 264 20
Sunny, a girl who lost her mother two years ago. Her father constantly rapes, beats, and abuses her. Over and over again. She goes through her daily...