untouchable

By whatnothisisnotme

Origin story of "sa gitna ng ulan" (reading it first on my one-shot book is okay, but isn't a requirement). D... More

Preface and Dedication
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
14.2(? lol) [context on the gc sans y/n]
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
36
37
38
39
40

35

397 29 14
By whatnothisisnotme

Jillian is staring at the newly added event on her work calendar for January next year. There's no other details to it, and could be easily missed, but it's the only oddity on her calendar that she noticed it right away. All it says is "TBD". She tried refreshing, ruling that it must be some glitch while she was away. But it's still there, just there.

She steals Danica's attention with gentle taps on her arm. "Dani, ano 'tong TBD sa January calendar?"

Danica looks at Jill's computer screen, and realizes right away. "Ay! Ano 'yan, company event 'yan bestie! Pero baka next month pa paguusapan sa gen meeting? Hindi ko rin sure, to be honest. Waiting lang din ako gaya mo."

Jill hums with a nod and proceeds to catch up on her backlogs. She's contemplating doing overtime, but she has a family dinner tonight.

Her morning is calm and tranquil despite the amount of workload that welcomed her. Bakit parang ang tahimik ng araw ko? It's like something's missing... "Ay, nasa'n si Ethan?" Jill wondered out loud.

"Nasa work trip, bes. Won't be back until next week. Sana forever na lang para wala na talagang epal dito, chos." Dani answered. "Uy, may paghanap?" She asked with raised brows, not really malicious but not innocent either.

"Hindi. Parang ang tahimik lang kasi. Walang papansin." Jill nonchalantly replied, which made Dani chuckle throatily. She smiled but then added, "Echos lang do'n sa papansin."

Dani waved her hand in dismissal. "Naku, hindi rin naman talaga echos 'yon! Totoo namang papansin si pangit." The woman then rolls her chair away from her desk as she gazes at Jill with a questioning look on her face. "I'm surprised hindi niya nabanggit sa'yo? Kasi parang lagi kang ginugulo n'on, e. I doubt na tinatanong mo siya, pero eager pa rin mag-update 'yun sa'yo."

"Well..." Jill trailed off in thought. Maybe he did, but she didn't care to check while she's away. Her hands were full back in Boston. Jill finally did check Ethan's chat log. She internally cringed when she saw there were several unread messages from him. She probably forgot to unmute her friend. "Oof," was her only response.

Replying now after almost a week of not even reading his texts would be too impolite. Jill would just make it up to him when he's back from his work trip, maybe.

"Hayaan mo na 'yon. Make the most out of this peace and quiet na lang muna." Dani said with a wink.

Jill giggles as she shakes her head at that. Dani's consistent bullying to the man has rubbed off on Jill, too. "Sabay tayo lunch today?" She asked her colleague.

"Bet! Yayain din natin sina Kuya Chad at Ate Ces. Ay tsaka si mamsir! Oks lang?"

"Sureness." Jill answered.

And she spent the rest of her morning focused on her job.

Dani already invited you and the others in passing and you all accepted. You three were the first ones to arrive at the cafeteria, holding the line for the two youngest.

"Hey, vebz!" Ces welcomed Jill with a hug. The two women then caught up with each other while waiting on the queue.

You're only idly listening on the side, patient for your turn to order and to converse with Jillian. The younger woman was quite the celebrity since she returned this morning, and you were too busy with your own workload that you didn't had the opportunity to talk to her.

Jill finally nudged you with her elbow since you're standing behind her. She has a teasing smirk on her face as she looks up at you. Your face involuntarily lit up from her attention. "Musta, boss?"

You tutted and held your hips. "Ays lang naman. Ikaw? Na-enjoy mo naman ba sick leave mo?"

She dramatically sighed. "Hmm, oo. Medyo malala nga sakit ko, e. Muntik ko na ipa-extend."

You chortled. "Baliw. 'Wag mo naman masyadong sagarin kabutihan ko. Baka hindi ko na i-approve susunod na leave mo niyan."

"Wow, is that a threat, bossing? Report kita sa HR!"

You blew raspberries at her. "You can try. Pero sino sa tingin mo mas papanigan sa'tin ni Ma'am Kara?" You playfully quipped.

Jill breathes out another dramatic gasp while also holding her chest. "Grabe. Ang hostile ng work environment na 'to! I will tender my resignation right away!"

You laughed at this effortless banter between you and Jill. You patted the top of her head twice before holding her shoulders to gently turn her towards the food laid out on the front. "Mamaya na 'yan. Baka maubusan ka na ng dinakdakan."

Jill giggled too and placed her palms on top of the back of your hands, her thumbs unconsciously stroking your skin. "Oks. This is an even more important matter anyway."

You almost pulled the smaller woman against you and tuck her under your chin, but fought the urge to do so. Jill almost intertwined your fingers together as well, but settled with just feeling you beneath her hands, and behind her. You're at a public place after all.

But the both of you are slightly giving in to the gravity of each other's warmth, wanting to be close.

Not going as far as cuddling, but there were lingering touches and glances. If anyone ever noticed, no one commented on it, concluding it's just two friends who dearly missed each other.

Ces, Chad, and Danica stayed behind for a while to use the rest of lunch to smoke their vapes, so it's just you and Jill walking back to your floor.

You easily started a small talk while you two are waiting for the lift. "Mag-OT ka ngayon?"

Jill straightened out her blazer before replying, "Nope po. Why?"

"Ah, wala lang." You answered. Right before Jill could press you for elaboration, the elevator dinged as it arrives. No one else enters but you two so you pressed the close button.

The younger one crossed her arms as she tilts her head, scrutinizing you. "So bakit mo nga natanong? Alam kong hindi lang random 'yon."

The side of your mouth twitched a bit before sighing thru your nose, conceding. "Fine. Sasabay sana kasi ako sa'yo, kung ok lang. Uuwi akong Krus na Ligas ngayon, e."

That piqued Jill's interest. "Monday pa lang ah?"

You nodded. "May need lang kasi asikasuhin." You stared back at the woman beside you and you can clearly see the warring of thoughts on her eyes. "P'wede ka namang humindi, Jill. Kaya ko naman umuwi mag-isa." You laughingly told her.

She has three-quarters a mind to tug you along, but remembers they have a family dinner. The option of driving you home wins more though, her rational sense slowly leaving her. What if she invites you to their dinner as well?

Before Jill could actually come up with a reply, the lift arrived at your floor. You were the first to step out, immediately being greeted by your subordinates you bump into, your time with Jill also ending.

But you wouldn't return to your mountain of workload not without properly bidding Jill farewell. "Sige, Jill. Mamaya na lang!"

"Wait!" Jill interjected, grasping your shirt to halt your departure. "Uhm, ano. Sabay ka na sa'kin mamayang uwian."

You searched her eyes, a bit dazed. "Ahh..." You trailed off. Jill's gaze is serious. You shrugged. "Okay. Kitakits na lang sa may main entrance."

"No, sunduin na kita sa office mo para sabay na tayo baba." Jill proposed.

"Ahh... Okay, sige." You answered, a little uncertain.

Jill smiled with her eyes and you know you won't take back you answer no matter what. "Oks. I'll see you later." She said and lets go of your shirt, that slightly creased under her hold. She tried fixing it by gently brushing it. "Sorry."

You chuckled and stopped her ministrations by holding her wrist. "Ayos lang. Hindi naman halata." You reassured. "Sige na." You did a mock salute before walking away to wrestle with your backlogs.

Jill watched you for a moment before returning to her own desk, giddy and anxious for tonight. You'd probably hate her because she'll practically ambush you, but she just want to try driving you home for once, even though it's Leni who's the assigned driver.

--

"Uhm.." You hummed, hands inside your pocket so you won't anxiously fidget with your fingers. Jillian was cryptic since she waited for you outside your office, until now that you're outside the building. "Uh, may hinihintay ba tayo?"

Jill smirked as she pockets her phone right after knowing her family is on their way. She didn't answer nor looked your way. She already sneakily messaged her sisters of her plan on their separate group chat, Tricia happily going along with it. Aika was reluctant at first, but agrees in the end. Hopefully everything else would fall into place, everything else meaning Leni.

And always right on time, a familiar bronze car pulled up in front of them. The window from the back seat rolled down and Tricia's dimpled smile astonished you. "Toot toot! Your carpool is here," she said in a singsong manner.

Aika also rolled her window down, and threw a polite smile your way. "Good evening, Y/N!"

You're stunned. This must be why Jillian was tightlipped when you asked her, because her whole family is here to fetch her. Is it too late to skedaddle now? You're formulating ways to escape.

Leni leaned towards Aika's window to see you eye-to-eye. "Hello, boss Y/N ni Jillian!"

Boss Y/N ni Jillian? You thought in confusion. Ah, kasi boss nga naman ako ni Jill. Tama, tama. Laging tama si Ma'am Leni.

It took you a few more seconds to get your bearings. "Uh, uhm, ah hello po, Attorney! Good evening po sa inyo." You politely returned. "Hi din, Miss Aiks! Doc, hello sa'yo. Welcome back." You then turned to Jillian, who has an innocent neutral face. "Jill, uhm. Hindi mo naman binanggit na susunduin ka pala. Sige, uhm, ano. Alis na ako."

"Ma, what if isama na natin 'tong si Y/N sa dinner natin?" Tricia suddenly suggested to their mother. "To be honest, medyo namiss ko rin 'tong si bestie. Catch up lang ganern."

"Sige, kung ayos lang sa kaniya." Leni replied. "'Di ba taga-Krus na Ligas ka lang, hija?"

"Ha? Ah, yes po. Taga-ron nga po ako, madam." You softly answered.

"Sakto, malapit din d'on 'yung kakainan namin for dinner." Leni said.

"Ah okay po." You answered, unsure.

"I think alam mo 'yung place, Y/N. Tara, sama ka na sa'min." Aika instigated. Since she knows you very well, she knows peer pressure is one of your weaknesses.

"Ha? S-Sama? Ako?" You dumbly asked.

You stared back at Jill, who bravely meets your eyes.

"Hatid ka na rin namin pauwi, boss." Jill finally spoke to you, eyes glinting with hope.

You still want to reject because you're too shy and intimidated and wouldn't want to impose, but also, rejecting their insistence would be impolite. Besides, a former Vice President of the Philippines is inviting you.

"Uhm... Ano po, uh..." You stuttered. You scratched the back of your head, feeling cornered. Four Robredo women's gazes are zeroed in on you after all. "Ano, nakakahiya po, madam. Mukhang family dinner po kasi 'to."

"Naku, hindi ka naman na iba sa'min, Y/N." Leni replied. "I insist."

You gulped at the seriousness of Leni's invitation. Your eyes flitted from Jill's still hopeful ones, Tricia's playful but inviting stare, Aika's friendly eyes, and Leni's unyielding gaze, before settling to Jillian. You deeply sighed in defeat. You'll get Jillian for this soon, and your message came across since Jill giggled.

You nodded and mustered up a tight but polite smile. "Sige po. Salamat, Attorney."

Tricia clapped her hands in delight, while Jill squealed in celebration and held on your arm to guide you to the car, Aika only smiled to herself while shaking her head. The matriarch only silently watched with amusement, and deducing that perhaps, her youngest might (still) have a crush on someone.

And so the rest of the drive is spent in engaging small talks. You feel at peace more than you thought. This family really just exudes that familial sense of comfort. You're seated between Tricia and Jill at the back seat. It was mostly Leni who asked you basic questions about yourself since her daughters were already familiar with you, but it didn't really feel like she's probing. This is probably the longest you've conversed with her, and if you haven't already revered the woman, you would right now.

Aika was right, you did know the place. It's one of the most talked about restaurants around here. You could also just commute home easily from there, but you doubt they'd let you do that.

The awkwardness of the situation has finally dawned on you, and you felt you're starting to fold in on yourself. A casual car ride with them was fine, but an intimate family dinner you (unintentionally) gatecrashed? That's another story. You should've just shut your mouth during lunch and didn't ask Jill.

A gentle but strong hand landed on the middle of your back, ushering you inside the place. "Relax lang, Y/N," Aika whispered to you.

Relax? Paano? You panickedly thought to yourself. You must be pale and seemed like you're on the verge of passing out. But can anyone truly blame you?

You don't really have to play the confident, outgoing version of yourself since you've already clocked out, but you kinda want to make an impression now; not for the daughters, but for the matriarch.

The reserved table was at the far end of the restaurant where it's more quiet and private. The ambiance of the place also screamed nature and coziness. You've been thinking of taking your own family here, but never really followed through with it. You're seated between Tricia and Aika this time, Leni and Jillian across from you.

While Aika, Leni, and Jill are busy scanning through the menu, Tricia is chatting you up. Having an in depth conversation with the physician have always come easy as she's an amazing storyteller with lots of fascinating narratives to share. This bubbly personality of hers — despite being introverted — has partly made you forget where you are, who you're with, or what you're doing.

You've gone unaware of your surroudings and the pair of starry eyes that have been watching you since you were unwillingly dragged along. Jill feels so accomplished with you bonding with her family, especially with her mother. Maybe if things really go her way, the night will end on a good note.

All the saints and gods must have heard her thoughts and prayers for you've been charming everyone's pants off, to the point that Leni asked you out loud, "Darling, marami sigurong may crush sa'yo, ano?"

You almost spat your half-chewed food out of your mouth both from the sudden question and at the endearment used. You swallowed it first before answering, "Uhm, po?"

"I find you very charming. You kind of remind me of someone." Leni said. Whether that is good or bad, you have no idea. The lawyer must have noticed it on your demeanor so she was quick to reassure you. "'Wag kang mag-alala. The someone I'm talking about is someone truly admirable. Fierce din siya, overprotective, at sharp, pero matindi rin ang karisma niya at sobrang bait, kaya rin everyone gravitates towards her." She fondly described.

That made your face heat up intensely. Leni Robredo just complimented you. You don't know what else to say.

"Naku, pati ba naman 'yung nanay namin." Tricia mumbled under her breath, but Jill still heard since they're sitting near each other. The comment made Jill laugh but guised it behind a cough.

"So, marami ngang nagka-crush sa'yo, 'no?" Leni repeated her question jokingly as you have yet to answer her.

That only doubled the flushing on your cheeks. You pursed your lips as you looked at Jill for help. With a giggle, she answered for you. "Omg, ma. You have no idea. Crush ng office 'tong boss namin."

Jillian, sobra ka na talaga, you frustratedly thought as you glared at your colleague. That wasn't the kind of help you wanted from her.

Leni chuckled once then nodded as she hums. "Hmm, not surprising." She concluded before moving on to a new topic.

The dinner is coming to its end, which means it's billing time. Leni already gave her credit card to the server, which made you grow even more shy, but luckily you got cash in hand so you could at least pay your share. You whispered to your closest friend about your concern. "Miss Aika, magkano ambagan?" You asked.

Aika giggled and shook her head before whispering in return, "Don't worry, Y/N. Kami na. We invited you here quite by force so we got this."

You gawked at her as though she grew another nose. Well, what she said was true, but still! Your pride and decorum won't let you rest easy. You took out a 1,000 peso bill, rolled it, and tucked it inside Aika's hand, which startled her a little.

"Y/N!" Aika exclaimed and quickly returned your money inside your suit jacket. Everyone's eyes are on you now so the shame from being perceived has now rendered you immobile.

"Please, Miss Aiks. Nakakahiya na kasi! Hindi ako matatahimik talaga. Ang dami ko ng utang." You poutingly admitted.

Aika smilingly sighed. "We enjoyed your company and it's enough, Y/N. Kami na nga 'tong inabala ka, e. Sige na! Like what Mama said, hindi ka na rin iba sa'min. We do this for friends close to us kaya masanay ka na."

You shrunk on your seat in utter defeat and bashful gratitude. These women are truly stubborn. You just nodded and accepted your fate, giving your most genuine, most thankful smile to all of them. You're enjoying yourself as well, and at some point you have shed your own insecurities away. Tonight has been so memorable and has already been filed in your long term memory.

The three oldest are walking back to the parking lot while you and Jill are lagging behind. You took this as a chance to slightly chastise her for not informing you ahead of her plans.

You gently poked Jill's side. "Alam mo ikaw Jingjing..." Then continued poking her side in frustration.

Jill tried slapping your hand away while she chuckles. "Sorry! I knew you wouldn't agree kasi kaya I had to do this," she defended.

You rolled your eyes before pocketing your hands. "Hays, sobrang nakakahiya! Anlakas ng trip mo. Bakit mo ba ginawa 'to?"

Jill slides her tongue along her lips before pursing them. She shrugs. "Galit ka ba?"

"Hindi, 'no! Ginulat mo lang kasi talaga ako, pero hindi naman ako galit."

She hums. "Nabusog ka naman ba?"

"Sobra! Akala ko may fiesta. Andaming niyong in-order. Nakakahiya talaga."

Jill giggles before bumping you with her arm. "P'wede ba. 'Wag ka na nga mahiya. You're friends with all three of us, and even Mama liked you." When all you replied to her was a heavy sigh, Jill came up with a joking compromise. "Oh sige, gan'to na lang. Para sa katahimikan mo, next dinner's on you. Then we're even. Sounds like a plan?"

You have a faraway look on your eyes, mulling over the "condition". "Sige, G."

"Wait, seryoso?" Jill asked. A part of her can't believe you'd actually bite, but the other part was hoping you will.

"Oo. Tsaka may utang pa nga akong kape sa'yo, e." You seriously replied.

"Gosh, Y/N. Matagal mo nang "nabayaran" 'yung kape. Sobra pa nga! Do you remember when you let me crash in your place when I got one too many drinks? Hinatid mo pa nga ako pauwi."

"Eh, basta. Iba naman 'yon." You said. "Pero sige, G ako. Next dinner's on me."

Jill bit her lip to fight the grin blooming. "G," she curtly replied. Internally, she's celebrating the fact you "owe" her a dinner. Her scheming gained her more good than she intended. Lucky her.

You took each other's hands to firmly shake on the "deal".

You gestured towards the open space. "Bilisan na natin. Baka kanina pa naghihintay pamilya mo sa kotse niyo. Nakakahiyang pag-intayin pa sila." You told her and carried on walking back to their car.

Jill followed behind with a spring in her step and a huge beam on her face.

"Maraming salamat po ulit, Attorney, Miss Aika, Doc, Jill! Ingat po kayong lahat!" You said right outside their car.

They didn't only buy you dinner, they also drove you home. What an amazing family.

"Sige, 'nak. Maraming salamat din! Next time ulit, ha." Leni enthusiastically replied to you from the shotgun seat.

That endearment probably just slipped out. You tried not overthinking a slip up. "Sige, madam. Ako naman po ang taya."

Leni raised her brows at that, but smiled nonetheless. You also said your farewells and gratitude to her daughters, Jill being the last since she got out of the vehicle with you once you've arrived.

The rest tried not to eavesdrop at you and Jill's moment. "Salamat ulit sa pagkaladkad sa'kin kahit labag sa loob ko, Jingjing."

She brightly smiles up at you. "Sureness. There's more to come, boss."

You snorted and rubbed your forehead in stress. "Ewan ko na sa'yo, bahala ka sa buhay mo." You pointed towards the car parked just a few feet away from you. "Sige na, anong oras na. Pagod na rin kayo panigurado. Maraming salamat ulit. Magiingat kayo ha. Kitakits na lang bukas sa work."

She snapped her fingers before shooting you with finger guns, a mannerism she has re-adapted from you. "Oks. I'll see you tomorrow." Jill replied.

You huffed a chortle before tapping the top of head twice. "Oks. Text mo na lang ako kapag nakauwi na kayo para alam kong safe kayo."

Jill gave a thumbs up and marched back to their car.

Giving one last wave goodbye to the generous family you just hung out with, you watched until they disappeared from your sights, exhaling a relieved and content sigh, then unlocks the front door to your family home.

"Jingjing, huh? May comeback na pala ng nickname?" Tricia teasingly said to Jill once they're back on the road.

Jill rolled her eyes as she feigns a tired and irritated scoff. Of course, Tricia would be nosy. She didn't reply to her sister so her teasing won't be fueled, and it worked.

As she's scrolling on her Spotify library to search for a playlist to listen to in the meantime, she rediscovered a long since forgotten playlist she specifically curated years ago when her crush on you was too hot. The playlist name made her cringe inwardly, but she breathed out a silent laugh while checking it out.

She was this crazy about you then? That felt both like a lifetime ago and merely yesterday.

Jill puts on her airpods before pressing shuffle on that playlist. And as she listens, she's reminiscing old feelings, reopening old wounds, and realizing they may not be as old as she thought.

It wasn't just the nickname that's making a comeback.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

763K 28.2K 103
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...
1.1M 37.1K 63
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
91.7K 3.1K 52
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
1M 25.5K 24
Yn a strong girl but gets nervous in-front of his arranged husband. Jungkook feared and arrogant mafia but is stuck with a girl. Will they make it t...