untouchable

By whatnothisisnotme

Origin story of "sa gitna ng ulan" (reading it first on my one-shot book is okay, but isn't a requirement). D... More

Preface and Dedication
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
14.2(? lol) [context on the gc sans y/n]
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
35
36
37
38
39
40

34

363 35 21
By whatnothisisnotme

"Sa tingin ko talaga it's long overdue." JD said to the table.

Today is one of those lunch huddles you have with your friends. And although Sugi already quit his job, he still joins. Jillian couldn't be here since she's currently at Boston with her family for Tricia's graduation.

The discussion at the moment is a "reunion" with the campaign surrogate team. Since Tricia is returning to the Philippines, the group chats were also revived. Someone suggested another huge brunch to also celebrate the physician's milestone.

The idea's not so bad, you kinda miss some of your old teammates as well, most especially Team Bunso.

"Truly, dasurb naman ni Dockie! Tsaka miss ko na rin 'yon. Kilala niya pa naman tayo, 'di ba?" Shein replied.

"Bakla, s'yempre namarn. Kinakausap pa rin naman namin 'yon, kahit matagal mag-reply si Doc." Aries reassured.

Sugi then clears his throat. "Speaking of reunion... Hindi po sana natin kalimutan na may gala tayo sa November."

Everyone rolled their eyes at Sugi. It's you who spoke for everyone. "Kuya Sugi, paano namin makakalimutan e every day ka nagre-remind?"

"Naku, kilala ko kasi kayo! May mga memory gap kayo." Sugi replied. "Pero serious kasi!"

"Seryoso naman kami ah? Tsaka libre mo namarn so hindi namin kakalimutan." You cheekily said, brows wiggling.

He ruffles your hair in return.

The November escapade Sugi planned for everyone is for his birthday. Of course, there's a bigger reason as to why he planned such a grand celebration. Sugi will finally propose to Aries, and the only person he confided in was you. He trusts Shein and JD with all his life but the two could be the biggest blabbermouths, so just to keep it safe, he didn't tell them. It's not like it's a huge secret as well. The couple have openly talked about it on the course of their long relationship, and they're legal with both families since the start, so there aren't any issues. Everyone knows Aries would definitely say yes, but Sugi is still anxious for his partner's answer, and hopes nothing would jinx it.

So far, Aries hasn't sniffed the big surprise. Or perhaps he's just good at acting nonchalant. There's really no way of telling.

"Nga pala, knows niyo naman na na kasama si Jill, 'di ba?" Sugi asked.

Everyone rolled their eyes again. Of course, everyone does.

You advised Sugi to stop giving it away with being so nervous and suspicious. He was never really good at keeping secrets despite being the most quiet person in the friend group. Everyone immediately knows something's bothering the man if he kept asking everyone the same questions, reminding everyone over and over again to the point of nagging, and being stressed out with the tiniest details.

But he's about to propose so no one can really blame him.

"Yes, and kasama rin sana si Miss Aika kaso may prior commitment." JD answered, a bit tiredly.

Sugi nodded and straightens out a nonexistent crease on his shirt.

Your phone vibrated on the table while the topic is now diverted to yet again Sugi's ever-changing itinerary for the trip. You checked the notification to see whose it from. Ah. You'll just reply later. Though before you could lay your device down, Shein, your nosiest friend, pressed the lock button to light your lockscreen up.

She gasped in amazement once she sees the person on your notif window. "Huy, textmates na ulit kayo ni J?"

You shrugged. "Oo, lumitaw na ulit ang kabute."

Shein lightly slaps you on the arm, and proceeds to steal your phone from your hold, which you allowed. She used your index fingerprint to unlock it. "Hala, bakit 'di mo sinabi? She's in town na ulit?" She is now texting J through your device, the rest of your friends also gathered around her to sneak a peek. "Namiss ko 'to si punyeta! Lakas lang mang-ghost nito, e."

You have no idea what it is that Shein's typing, but your friend is smiling and giggling at their exchange.

"Ay, nandito na pala si J, e. Invite ko rin kaya si badet?" Sugi rhetorically asked.

"P'wede naman. Kaso daming raket n'on, baka out of town 'yon ng gan'ong araw. Pero tanong mo, Kuys. Kaladkarin naman 'yon." You replied.

"'Yun pa rin naman number niya, 'di ba?" He asked again.

You nodded in confirmation as you sip on your lemon water, and he proceeds to send an invite himself.

When your phone dinged a different (specially designated) ringtone, that's when you finally looked up from your glass, wanting to take your property back. Shein and Aries raised their brows and looked at each other.

JD tauntingly spoke, "Ay? May nag-text..."

You swiftly took your phone from Shein's hold and pointlessly attempted to hide your screen for privacy. They already saw whose it's from, but still.

It was Jill. Who should be asleep at this time because it's 12 midnight from where she is.

Why is she texting you?

You've yet to check what she sent you because for some reason, you're shy of looking at it while surrounded by friends. It's stupid and weird. Probably because you have an inkling they'd relentlessly tease you again.

And they will.

"Sabaok special?" Aries quipped.

"Oo nga, e. Buzz-buzz lang tayo, 'no? Madalas nga, do not disturb pa. Pero si favorite employee may sariling ringtone? Iba na talaga." Shein added.

"Parang mga abno. Malamang sa malamang, work-related lang 'yon. Issue." You defended.

"Hala? Issue? Wala nga kaming ini-insinuate?" JD retorted with a raised brow.

"Teh, insinuate? Big word ka diyan ha!" Aries exclaimed and high fived with him. "Spell mo nga 'yan, 'day."

"Ina ka, beh. 'Wag ka nga! Word of the day ko kasi yorn." JD said. He's about to argue further when your phone dinged that same special ringtone again. And again. And again.

Your face is starting to heat and you really can't help it anymore, you finally checked whatever it is that Jill sent you.

"ang ganda ko d2. you should change my contact photo with this. 😝 [attached photo]"

Indeed she was. Jill's selfie was of her beaming beautifully with cheeks tinted pink, a chardonnay glass filled halfway with white wine on her hand, and her hair is pulled up on a cute low messy bun.

Your brain shortcircuited for a nanosecond before remembering to read her follow up texts.

"OMG SHAKS THE HUMILIATION !! IM SO SORRY BOSS WRONG SEND PLS DELETE DONT FIRE ME PO I LOVE MY JOB"

You slightly snorted at that albeit feeling a little disappointed that you weren't the intended recipient.

But her last text was... something. You didn't care about holding back a chuckle anymore.

"you know what? i stand by my statement. kyot ko naman talaga don sa photo hehe. do u agree or do u agree"

With a shake of your head, you composed a reply: "Jillian Robredo, matulog ka na. 👍"

Before you can actually send it though, Jill had a follow up text.

"anyway, musta? miss u :)"

Uhh... What? You asked yourself, both amused and intrigued.

Another ding and a flood of text messages from Jill.

"OMG THAT WASNT ME THAT WAS PATRICIA !!"

"I SWEAR I LEFT MY PHONE FOR A SECOND..."

"IM SO SORRY BOSS. GOOD NIGHT PO."

"AY. GOOD AFTERNOON PALA ??"

You smiled, fully unaware of your friends' teasing stares. You hardly care about the world since you're too busy with texting the favorite employee.

"okies. good night! and miss u too.......... doc patricia. :D"

"oh and, salamat sa bagong contact photo kahit dehins para sa'kin. 👍"

You locked your phone right after sending your last chat and was about to tuck it inside your suit pocket when Jill replied again. You unlocked your phone in record time.

"[attached photo]"

"ayan, mas maganda ako diyan. yan na lang gamitin mo, boss. 😉 wag na tampo. welcome emZ"

This photo of Jill seems more recent, like recent recent. She's lying down (based on her hair that is splayed along the pillow), smile is still big and gorgeous but more natural, and her fingers are doing the famous Korean finger heart. She looks so girlfriend.

You're biting the insides of your mouth to stifle the grin crawling its way to your lips. Your ethical dilemma whether this exchange is still appropriate and professional is thrown under the bus, practically nonexistent now. You two are friends anyway so... this is fine.

Just two platonic friends platonically talking about platonic topics with 12-hour difference between.

Which reminded you to remind her:

"oks. and yo, matulog ka na nga! anong oras na diyan!"

Jill on the other hand is giggling with half-lidded eyes, holding on a while longer to keep talking to you. She's now kinda glad she texted the wrong number at first. It wasn't her fault your contact name is close to her best friend's. Blame it on the 'AAA' before your contact names.

"k po. wag na gagalet. good night from my side of the world! :>"

You chuckled. You can just imagine the mischievous glint on Jill's pretty eyes.

"magandang tanghali naman mula rito. ingat kayo diyan."

Not even a minute passed and Jill replied.

"see u soon, boss madam."

You shook your head and sent your quick response to finally end the convo and for Jill to rest her eyes.

"kitakits, jingjing. matulog na."

And you're met with teasing stares and playfully raised brows. You sighed and rolled your eyes at your friends.

"Hala? Bakit pa-ngiti-ngiti?" Aries started.

"Nakakatuwa ba usapan niyo, bestie? Share mo naman." Shein added.

JD didn't speak, but his narrowed gaze and tightlipped smile is enough. His hands are under his chin, as though waiting for some tea.

You checked your wrist watch nonchalantly. "Matatapos na lunch hour. Tara na."

"Change subject si teh oh. Grabe, haba ng hair talaga ng tropa natin. May J na, may Jingjing pa. Two-timer yarn?" JD said.

That earned him a smack at the back of his head.

You gave them a fake grin with raised brows. "Napaka-malisyoso niyo talaga, 'no? Mga tinik sa buhay ko kahit kelan."

"Basta ako, alam ko delikado na 'yan kapag ngumingiti-ngiti na sa mga messages. Diyan kami nagsimula ni Ella." Shein mused out loud.

You shook your head and ignored her comment and hugged your friends farewell for now.

--

Jill is slightly trembling on her seat, both due to the biting cold and nerves. Learning how to drive was easy enough, but actually driving it on the busy streets of Boston is another thing. Her focus is razor sharp lest she crashes this rental car.

"Ayan, nice speed. Now turn right on the next corner." Aika coached her from the passenger seat.

Since it's Jill's turn to drive, she's the one tasked with the navigation. The Robredo sisters are out to catch up with a family friend they haven't seen in a while for lunch. Leni is currently on a speaking engagement so she couldn't join her daughters.

Tricia is the one who hijacked the aux cord, playing Taylor Swift songs to her heart's desire, specifically reputation (Taylor's Version) album.

The doctor gasped from the backseat as she reads on the revived group chats. "Hala, may plano pala 'yung campaign team na reunion lunch in my honor? Ang ganda ko naman masyado."

Aika chuckled in response as she looks out the window to keep an eye on the signs. "Two weeks ago pa yata, Patty. As always, hindi ka nagche-check ng messages."

Tricia giggles as she continues to backread in her head, sometimes out loud if she deems it funny.

One particular chat caught her eye, and laughs before reading it to her sisters in her best impression. She leaned towards the front seat.

"Ay ito oh, sabi ni bestie. 'Mahilig naman sa tinapay si Doc, 'di ba? What if mag-field trip tayo sa factory ng Gardenia pagbalik niya, kimi.' Gardenia talaga, p'wede naman sa bakery lang diyan. Napaka nito ni Y/N!"

Upon hearing your name, Jill lost focus for a while, therefore hallucinating something that wasn't there crossing. She impulsively stepped on the brake pedal, propelling Tricia forward since she isn't wearing a seatbelt, almost colliding her face against the dashboard. But even Aika herself moved due to the sudden halting of the car.

"Jill, you okay?" Aika asked in concern.

"Jillian, ano 'yon?" Tricia exclaimed, sounding more annoyed than worried, fixing her glasses. "Kaloka! May tumawid ba?"

"Sorry, sorry." Jill squirms on her seat and clears her throat in hopes of clearing her guilt and shame. "Thought I saw a squirrel crossing the street. Sorry, guys." She shook her head free of thoughts.

Just a mention of your name and she lost it? What is she, some lovesick school girl?

Her blunder was easily forgotten since they're nearing their destination. The trio arrived just in time and so they went straight to their reserved table.

The lunch went smoothly, but since their mutual friend also has some errands to run, they had to leave right after eating. But since it's still early and the rest of their days are free, they all agreed to just walk around, and perhaps grab some cold dessert before picking their Mama from her speaking engagement. Tricia has this amazing dessert place she discovered by chance when she was going through her academic burnout. It since gave her comfort and frequently visited the place. It's still a bit underrated despite its popularity amongst broke and broken college students. Tricia reassured it will be quiet and secluded.

The place is small so it's only Aika who went inside to order for the three of them.

Jill's day is going fine so far, too fine in fact. Her driving mishap earlier was just a minor blip, and everything's going quite well.

Absolutely no reason for her to worry about something, but why is Jill feeling uneasy?

Tricia sharply gasps beside her before laying a palm against her own mouth. The sound made Jill turn to her. The doctor mouthed, "Si Zeke!"

Jill frowned at first but once it sinks in, her eyes widened a little. And right on cue, Zeke came into her view.

Of course, because it's such a small world. She's bound to run into her ex-fling. How ridiculously cliche.

The man has yet to see them but on his arm is a girl that quite resemble Jillian. To put it better, a white counterpart of Jillian.

Tricia and Jill looked at each other then turning away from the corner where Zeke and his girl friend are, in hopes of hiding themselves. It was futile for Zeke already recognized them and is making his way towards them.

"Jillian?" Zeke asked in disbelief.

Jill quietly sighed before turning to Zeke with a polite smile. "Hey, Zeke!"

"Wow! I knew it was you." Zeke replied. He then acknowledged the doctor, "What's up, doc?"

Tricia also gave a friendly response to him. They don't really have beef, after all.

"I didn't know you were in town?" Zeke asked Jill once more.

Jill chortled awkwardly. "Yeah, just here temporarily."

The mystery girl then caught up to the three and slinks an arm around Zeke's waist. That's when the guy remembers and introduces her. "Oh! Where are my manners? I'm so sorry. Anyway, this is my girlfriend, Candice. Babe, this is Jill and her sister, Tricia. They're my friends."

Candice exchanged polite small talk with them. There was no trace of awkward vibe from the couple, and it's not like Jill and Zeke ended whatever they had on a bad note. There's indifference, though.

"Well, it was nice seeing you guys. But I'm afraid we can't stay any longer, we've got somewhere to be." Zeke said. "Congrats again for getting your masters, doc! Take care of yourselves!"

"It was great meeting you both! Bye!" Candice also said in farewell.

Jill and Tricia also said their good byes and well wishes. The couple gave another wave before leaving them, and once they're out of sight, they both let out a heavy sigh.

"Grabe, napasabak ako r'on ha." Tricia mumbled.

Jill snorts in response.

Tricia then nudges her sister. "Though you noticed din naman, right?" When all she got from Jill is a questioning frown, she smirked. "Medyo magkamukha kayo ni Candice. Hindi naka-move on si koya sa'yo, so he looked for another you. Ganda yarn?"

The youngest scoffed at that. "Nah, maybe he just has a type."

"Hmm... Sure." Tricia replied.

Jill didn't reply anymore since she doesn't really want to talk about it anymore.

"Uy, sino 'yung kausap niyo kanina? Friend niyo?" Aika asked when she reaches her sisters. She handed each one's ordered desserts.

"Wala lang." "Ex ni Jill." Jill and Tricia both said at the same time.

Jill narrows her eyes at the middle child, who just innocently stuffed her face with her sweet crepe.

"Ex? Ex mo 'yung white guy na 'yon?" Aika asked, curious. "Why don't I know? What's his name?"

"Well, he's actually Fil-Am, but yeah, he looks more white than Asian. Anyway, not really ex. Uhm... Talking stage lang? Situationship?" Jill rambled with a shrug.

"Situationship?" Aika repeated, only growing more confused than enlightened.

"Ex-fling. Jowa pero hindi jowa. You know, walang label." Tricia supplied.

Aika raised a brow at that, intrigued at this information.

"No commitment. Landian lang. May konting ghosting, but yeah. It's understood." Jill added. "It was mutual naman, e. No strings attached."

Now both of Aika's brows are raised at that.

"Ay, Zeke pala pangalan n'on. Short for Ezekiel. Tapos jowa niya 'yung girl na kasama niya kanina. Candice name." Jill said.

"Tapos medyo kamukha ni Jill 'yung Candice." Tricia also commented.

But Aika still won't respond, still processing. So out of sheer panic from Aika's confused gaze, Jill blurted out. "Anyway, I'm still a virgin."

That rendered all three of them silent. Their faces are neutral, but it's obvious they have huge questions marks above their heads right now.

The last one was so... random, after all.

Aika was the first to break and chuckled at the absurd turn of events. She just wanted to know who those strangers were, what does that have to do with Jill's chastity? They all laughed at how stupid their discourse have become.

"Okay? You do you, I guess. But... sorry. Stuck lang kasi ako na may ex ka na hindi ex, pero never mo pa shinare sa'kin." Aika said when they've recovered from their laughing fit.

Jill sighed. "It was... nothing lang kasi. Honestly, I already forgot about him until today."

Aika pouted at that. "Akala ko ba we already talked about this, bunso? Na nothing is mundane nor trivial? Kahit gaano pa karaming ex-flings 'yan, you can tell me. Kaya nga until now, kilala natin lahat ng crush ni Patty, e."

"Hello, ako si Pooh. Naririnig ko kayo ngayon." Tricia deadpanned with a hand on her chest.

Jill gave a tightlipped half-smile. She nods and hugs her eldest sister, to which Aika willingly accepted. Jill's loving gesture is enough answer for her, she already understood. "Sige, I will tell you more later. I promise." The youngest softly reassured.

Aika wrapped her arms around Jill and playfully shook them both sideways. This made the two giggle together.

The forgotten middle child made a grumbling noise. She's enjoying the tender moment she's witnessing right now, but she can't help but pout. "Wow, kapatid niyo rin naman ako last I checked. P'wede ba 'ko sumali diyan?"

She was then included to the group hug. Luckily there aren't a lot of people on the streets at the moment so it's not too embarrassing to be cuddling in such a public setting. The three continued walking the streets of Boston, just happily munching on their desserts, talking about random topics.

Jill whipped her phone out to capture pictures and short videos for memories. While Jill is taking a short clip to add for her end of the month reel, a text interrupted her. She fought the smile that settled on her lips by biting the insides of her cheeks. She excitedly opened the message.

"Boss Y/N: [attached photo]"

"pang-change din ng contact photo. ;) eme larooo"

You sent her a selfie of you with your thumb up, slightly smiling. The background is a bit dark, but Jill has a hunch it's taken at home. Jill puffs her cheeks up to keep herself from giggling like a fool. You must be trying to get her back because she mistakenly sent you her own picture due to her drunken drowsiness.

She then remembers where she is. She's at Boston, USA, and it's 2 in the afternoon. Jill gasps in disbelief because you're still awake.

She replies:

"naks. thankies, bossing! bakit gising ka pa?"

Jill knew not to expect for a fast reply. For all she knows, you're immediately knocked out right after sending her the photo. She's about to go back to her camera app to carry on taking photos when you replied quickly.

"kasi hindi pa ako tulog."

Jill rolled her eyes at your sarcastic remark. She was genuinely asking and you're being playful.

"char. may trabaho lang na tinatapos pero matutulog na ako soon."

"kaya good night."

"well, good afternoon from your side of the world."

"👍"

What's with you and that stupid thumbs up emoji?

"okies, good night :>"

Now she's really not expecting a reply from you.

Yet you did:

"ingat kayo diyan. kitakits."

Jill only left you on read because she's too stunned to come up with a reply.

P'wede bang kiligin? Kahit super konti lang? Jill asked herself. No, stop it. 'Wag. Get up, girl. You're stronger now. You know better now.

But looking at the photo you specifically sent just for her... It's making her heart gallop.

Jill is contemplating whether to change your contact photo with what you sent, or make it as her phone wallpaper. She then mentally slapped herself for even considering the latter option. No, she should stay strong.

Ever since the night you two spent together at the rooftop, your bond also strengthened. Both of you are bolder with your friendly exchanges, both are more at ease with each other. Sometimes your interactions are more personal than professional. However, none of you are pulling away, only accepting, and giving the same energy in return if not doubled.

She's trying so hard not to overthink everything, for she's been here before. It will truly be on her if she falls for the same tricks twice. But damn, you're just irresistible. You're still the same enigmatic wonder Jill wants to unravel.

Little does Jill know, she isn't the only one pondering all these things.

You can't sleep because of reasons: one, work; two, a colleague and friend named Jillian Robredo; three, anticipation for her return; four, weird, unexplainable feelings you can't articulate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 8.8K 99
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
282K 9.5K 107
She was a capitol elite. He was the youngest victor in history. Their friendship was frowned upon, but their love was forbidden. Extended Summary Ins...
67.8K 1.3K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...
483K 14.6K 98
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...