The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 54: The Meeting

406 25 6
By MissElleDee

The afternoon finally ended with the princess going back with a darkened face and a gloomy mood.

Never had she imagined that the room that she always wanted to enter had a change of its name.

What a ridiculous timing and situation it was.

She only had two reasons to choose from what to believe. It was either the duchess was telling the truth about its name being changed even before she arrived at the capital and it was the duke who changed it. And the other one was, well, that the duchess was simply fooling her.

However, Princess Avaria knew that if it was the latter, it could mean a whole lot of things, especially, the relationship between the duke and the duchess.

And the princess, in her ridiculous and ruthless mind, there was no doubt that she believed the first explanation. Because the thought of the duke and duchess being in a harmonious or amicable relationship was ridiculous enough for her to even think about.

Thus, she had to believe the rational one.

However, believing the rational reason was far from the truth.

And the truth was that the princess had been truly played the fool by the duchess.

She had no idea that the second thought that she deemed as ridiculous was actually the one closest to the truth.

Well, the duke and the duchess might not be particularly in a harmonious and amicable relationship, but it was currently civil enough and undeniably, sparks were present. Besides, it was clear that the duke had put emphasis on all his subordinates to respect and obey the duchess just as his equal. Thus explained how the duchess could do everything she wanted. As long as it was not against the duke's wishes.

A few days passed by in just a blink of an eye.

Princess Avaria didn't care to come back but she only sent packages of the expensive flower tea for Atallie to enjoy in her stay at the capital.

The princess particularly noted that it should be enjoyed at any time of the day. And should the tea run out, the duchess must not hesitate to inform her for she would send another package so that the duchess would have all her time to enjoy the special flower tea.

In any case, it was what Atallie had been doing lately.

For her entire stay, she had been enjoying the tea every after meal, together with the few ladies around her.

Besides having the time of her life at the estate while doing her rightful duty as the duchess, Atallie was also able to mingle with a few of the higher noble ladies who sent her invitations for some tea party.

All in all, Atallie had fun in the capital.

And while she was wrapping yet another accomplished day, a frantic Laura came rushing in without even a knock.

Goodness!

Atallie nearly jumped in shock.

"Laura, what is this all about?" she asked.

"Oh no, Madame, l-let me just take a few breaths first…hoo…hoo…" Laura was panting as she was clutching an envelope in her hands.

Atallie saw it and asked, "Is that a letter in your hand?"

"Ah yes! Yes! Take it, take it!" Laura was still panting and trying to catch her breath. She just shoved the envelope onto Atallie's hand.

The seemingly careless and ridiculous behavior of Laura was no longer a surprise for Atallie.

Several days of staying at the capital with the good-natured people around, especially Laura, who was a bubbly and open-minded person to begin with, they all grew closer.

And whenever Laura thought about what happened back then when Princess Avaria visited, she was still in awe of how Atallie was able to lie to Her Royal Highness without even batting an eye.

And yes, it was in fact, a lie.

Atallie lied about the room.

It was not the duke who changed the name of the rooms or whatever arrangement happened.

It was Atallie who decided to change the name of the famous and highly regarded Golden Velvet Room of the former duke and the duchess to Golden Rose Room.

She clearly knew that the room was like a sacred place that could not be defiled by just anyone, especially the royals.

Thus, with her full authority as the duchess and with the clear instructions of the duke to his subordinates to serve and obey the duchess, Atallie was able to come up with all the nonsense before the princess arrived at the drawing room.

And she lied without any hesitation at that.

Laura, on the other hand, was both bewildered and shocked at that time. But she was rather in a tight spot when it happened. Thus, she could only let Atallie weave whatever story and lie she wanted to create while she could only agree to all of it.

Atallie took the envelope and opened it.

A familiar parchment design was on the inside.

It was a bloodied letter.

And there were only three lines of words written in it.

Leave tonight.
I will meet you halfway near the closest creek.
Let us go home to Kargaz.

Though it was a bloodied letter, and it couldn't be more plain, Atallie's heart could not contain its loud beating upon reading the contents of it.

Home…

Us going…home…

Her usually cold and blank impression seemed brighter than before, even her tone she could not contain.

She turned to Laura who was still panting and said, "Hurry! Pack my luggage and call for everyone. We will be leaving tonight. The duke will meet us on the road."

"What?" Laura was dumbfounded.

"Wait, what? His Grace is on his way to meet Madame? And tonight at that?!"

"Yes, it is what the letter says."

"Oh my! We gotta prepare now! Oh no, no time for that. Aye! I'll call them now!" And with that Laura dashed out from the room leaving Atallie speechless.

I guess Laura is more excited than I.

And soon enough, everyone was able to efficiently prepare everything for the abrupt setting off of the duchess.

Atallie, together with Lizbeth, Lila and several knights, the original group of Atallie's company and a few additional knights from the duke's estate at the capital, boarded the carriage and horses in the middle of the night as they traverse through the capital towards the Cavana Waters - the nearest creek that could be found in the outermost part of the Royal City.

Looking out from the window, Atallie's eyes were gazing at the dark, moonless skies.

There was a different glow in her amber eyes - sharp and cold and something else.

A long sigh came from her.

"Are you feeling any discomfort, Madame?" Lila asked when she noticed the long sigh from Atallie.

"No, I'm alright," Atallie answered. She turned to Lizbeth who was seated next to Lila, "Are we there yet?"

"Nearly, Madame. We only have to go through this hill and we will reach it," Lizbeth said.

Their journey was smooth and at ease all along. And soon enough, they would be reaching the creek.

However, before they were able to get through the rough part of the hill, sounds of hooves sounded from around, closing in as they continued to move forward, until the horses reached them.

The knights suddenly came on high alert when they saw that the horses, the people riding those horses even, were not familiar with them.

At first, when everyone heard the sound of the hooves, they thought that it might be the duke and their brothers in arms, yet, they didn't expect that there would be an unknown and a sudden ambush awaiting them.

"Protect Her Grace!" The captain of the knights shouted in a loud and reverberating voice as everyone swiftly drew their swords.

"What is going on?" Lizbeth was startled. Quick on her feet, she positioned herself closer to Atallie, ready to fight and defend anytime.

"Are there enemies?" Lila was no different. Though she was already trembling right after hearing the voice of the captain and the sharp unsheathing of the swords, she sat right next to Atallie to use her body as a shield on whatever might come at her precious duchess.

There was silence in the air.

Thick but sharp and dangerous silence.

There was the stillness that was unnerving and appalling.

Everyone was bracing.

Everyone was ready to attack.

"It's an ambush," Atallie was certain.

Then, chaos descended.

Duke Calex and his knights were on their way to Cavana Creek.

It was already dark and the night was getting deeper and deeper. Yet, they didn't stop moving forward.

Duke Calex was in haste.

Everyone was in haste. Under the command of the duke.

They already calculated the time and soon they would be able to reach the creek.

They would just have to get through the rocky part of the hill, and they will be there.

However, when they were almost there, they noticed an abnormality.

Looking at the rough road, the soil and the grasses on the ground, it seemed like there was a group of horses that galloped through it. And the marks were new and fresh.

Harsh, calloused and sharp.

Don't get them wrong though.

They knew that this road was not a private road and everyone could pass through it.

However, with their guts and years of experience in the battlefield, be it against the monsters or the other enemies, they knew that it was not just a group of horses looking for feed and water or a group of merchants or anyone else.

They knew.

They knew that those horses, those people riding on them…

They were not friendly ones.

And what made their hearts caught in their throats was that…

The timing of the probable lurking danger coincided with the timing when the duke and the duchess were supposed to meet.

At this place.

And this time.

Brutal and searing murderous intent glinted on the dark and depth eyes of Duke Calex.

His thoughts were the same with the rest of his subordinates.

But the duke couldn't care less and entertained his thoughts as he quickly galloped forward with his horse leaving the rest with only dirt and dust. He did not have time to think.

He could not.

And he must not.

After all, he knew how dangerous the situation could be out there and how far his thoughts could reach. And both could be deadly and biting for him.

He didn’t want to think about the possibility, even the littlest and tiniest bit of possibility, that the woman - the only woman he was fond of - could be in danger.

He didn’t want to think about it.

He couldn’t and he must not.

For now, march onwards.

Forward,

Faster,

Find her,

Make sure to keep her safe.

Be sure to keep her safe.

They were almost there.

Everyone could hear the clear and crisp sound of the water flowing through the creek.

They reached a clearing.

There was an open space ahead.

And there was something else.

Although it was already deep in the night, and there was only the vast darkness enveloping the skies.

No moon, no stars.

They continued moving forward.

Horses slowing down, breathless and ragged.

Swords and spears and bows drawn.

Senses heightened and alerted even more.

Danger. Danger. Danger.

It could be here.

It was here.

The air was filled with thick and deafening silence.

Only the sound of the water on the creek could be heard.

Then they finally saw it.
Them.

The horses.

The people.

Those horses and people.

They were right.

Those were enemies - rebels or barbarians, they were not certain.

These people were more than a dozen - two or almost two…

They were not certain.

Everyone finally halted.

Looking around, they could not believe it.

Those horses,

Those people,

They were all lying around, scattered..

They hopped off their horses. Duke Calex leading some of the knights.

Some stayed still on top of their horses for lookout.

Then, they also saw them.

Their brothers in arms, their friends.

The familiar uniform, the seal, the carriage.

They didn’t know what happened.

They couldn’t possibly know what exactly happened.

Their breaths were all held up. There was only the sound of the water running through the creek and the stillness of the night surrounding them, bracing them, and taunting them.

Then, the duke raised his hand.

A signal, a command. They all stopped and looked ahead.

Towards where the duke’s deep and terrifying eyes were focused and darted.

The creek was just afront, and a part of it was enveloped by mist hovering above and around.

They could hardly see what was behind the mist, but they could somehow make out a figure, a silhouette, standing near the edge of the creek.

However, they didn’t know what it could be or who it could be behind the mist.

Then they heard the duke’s voice,  “Back up,” the rough and low voice of Duke Calex tore through the silence.

A word from the duke, though they were not certain as to why, they slowly retreated and maintained a distance from the duke.

They were meant to protect the duke, but at times like this,

When they saw the look on the duke’s eyes, when they could feel that the duke could possibly be on the edge of destroying anything and anyone on his path,

They knew not to try to push their luck to go against the duke.

A word and they must obey.

No questions asked.

Once they retreated, Duke Calex didn’t even look back.

He took a step forward.

Then another,

“Please…let it be…” he was whispering, he was wishing, he was hoping.

And another step, as he walked closer toward the creek.

“Please,” a plea.

“Just please…” Duke Calex could not even notice how low and shaky his voice was.

He could only keep moving onwards.
He also didn’t know what could be behind the mist, just like everyone else.

Whether it was something or someone.

It was just, there was this small force inside him,

As if beckoning him,

Calling him, to move forward.

Numbing him, bracing him,

Suddenly, a gust of wind came which parted the mist, slowly dissipating some of it.

Then, he saw the figure.

Duke Calex stopped.

Everything seemed to be put to a stop at an instant.

“Haa…” a short and quiet breath escaped from his mouth as he blinked.

Although it was still a bit blurry,

Duke Calex could not possibly be mistaken.

His feet moved on their own accord as he quickened his pace until he was only a few steps away from the figure.

Duke Calex already entered the mist surrounding that part of the creek.

Then, the figure turned around.

There she was.

In all her bedazzling beauty and charm, and danger and sharpness underneath her usual indifference and coldness.

And Duke Calex was certain that there was still a lot more to discover and see.

But now, he couldn’t care about anything else.

“I apologize for being late, my dear wife,” Duke Calex said as he moved closer.

“You truly are late, my dear husband,” said Atallie with the corners of her lips slightly raised.

Duke Calex saw that unusual yet enchanting smile from the woman he was indescribably fond of.

He took another step forward and was about to reach for his wife, his duchess, his own person.

Then it happened.

Duke Calex was quick at his feet to catch Atallie.

Attalie collapsed. She was caught in the firm and muscled arms of the duke before she could kiss the cold ground hard.

And now that Duke Calex was closely looking at Atallie, he saw how pale and devoid of life Atallie’s face suddenly became.

He didn’t know what happened.

He quickly examined Atallie’s body for any possible external injury, but he found none.

Rising to his feet, he quickly walked back to the clearing with the unconscious Atallie in his arms.

When everyone saw the two of them, they were all bewildered.

But for now, first things first.

They knew exactly what to do.

Especially when they saw how grim and cold the face of the duke had become.

_______
A/n: Hey! Let me thank you, my few dear readers, for continuously reading and voting for this story. I just want to let you know that I appreciate it all!

Y'all know that I've always been busy with my day job but I always see to it to write every now and then for this story to continue. And all your support makes me do that! You inspire this little writer to continue working on this story.

And to express my appreciation, look forward to the next chapter! I'll do my best to upload it soon.

Please continue to read, share, vote and comment!

I'll see y'all in the next chapter!

Xoxo ~

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343K 19.7K 49
THIS STORY IS NOW FREE! When a newlywed princess discovers her Prince Charming is married to six other royals, she brings the outraged spouses toget...
6.2K 728 75
*completed* Born with scales and the ability to breathe fire, Mo spent all her life being bullied and ridiculed. For in the Kingdom of Kreatier her k...
454K 18.4K 171
Mila was born into a home of a Duke who heeded no attention to her. In total stood four dukes by the emperor's side, she was born into the house with...
8 0 7
There is a famous story about the strongest warrior around the empire of Claveria. A woman leading an army of strong men who always bring victory to...