the muggle next door | f.w. g...

By icemacchiato

Daisy's father said, and she herself agreed, that the Weasleys were one peculiar bunch. They weren't as afflu... More

prologue
main casts and characters
0.01
PART I.
↳ 1.01
↳1.02
↳ 1.03
↳ 1.04
↳ 1.05
↳ 1.06
↳ 1.07
↳ 1.08
↳ 1.09
↳ 1.10
↳ 1.11
↳ 1.12
PART II.
↳ 2.01
↳ 2.02
↳ 2.03
↳ 2.04
↳ 2.05
↳ 2.06
↳ 2.07
↳ 2.08
PART III.
↳ 3.01
↳ 3.02
↳ 3.03
↳ 3.04
↳ 3.05
↳ 3.06
↳ 3.07
↳ 3.08
↳ 3.9
↳ 3.10
↳ 3.11
↳ 3.12
↳ 3.13
↳ 3.14
↳ 3.15
↳ 3.16
↳ 3.17
↳ 3.18
PART IV.
↳ 4.1
↳ 4.2
↳ 4.3
↳ 4.4
↳ 4.5
↳ 4.6
↳ 4.7
↳ 4.8
↳ 4.9
↳ 4.10
↳ 4.11
↳ 4.12
↳ 4.13
↳ 4.14
↳ 4.15
↳ 4.16
↳ 4.17
↳ 4.18
↳ 4.19
↳ 4.20
↳ 4.21
↳ 4.22
↳ 4.23
↳ 4.25
↳ 4.26
↳ 4.27
PART V
↳ 5.1
↳ 5.2

↳ 4.24

1.8K 110 12
By icemacchiato

weasley is our king

April 29th, 1996

EVEN WITH ORDER members' assurance that none of her youngest or Harry or Hermione were put in a tight spot after the twins' abrupt and rebellious departure, Mrs. Weasley was still over-the-top worried. Especially since every owl she sent always came back within a day, her letter still tied to its claw. Higher screening security by Umbridge, perhaps.

She would suddenly stop knitting or whisking batter or cleaning, then sighed heavily and wondered aloud if she should just made Ron and Ginny drop out of school.

"'S probably fine, Mum," Fred interjected one night after dinner, "We didn't leave them alone, technically, we gave them a guardian."

Tonks snorted, "Yeah, Peeves."

Remus and Daisy chuckled.

"Shall I remind you what Minerva said last night, Molly?" Sirius pushed a cup of hot tea in her direction, "Your sons inventions are running rampant, the swamp now filled the entire corridor, Umbridge is being pranked left and right... Kids are even saying that they might pull a Weasley!"

"Pull a Weasley!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed mockingly, "You see, my other kids have no problem whatsoever with finishing school and passing N.E.W.T.s. They were Prefects, Head Boys even! But because of these two, pull a Weasley means quite the opposite. Our family name, tarnished! Bill was the best graduate in his year, and Charlie, and Per— P— Pe— Per—"

Once speechless, she maneuvered the conversation back to the only unanswered question. "How did you two get enough money for your store, huh? Why couldn't you tell me?"

"We told you, Mum, for the thousandth times!" George threw his hands up in the air in exaggerated defeat. Fred continued, "It's our business profit!"

Mrs. Weasley squinted her eyes in scrutiny, "I still don't buy it. Honestly."

She was right, though. It was mainly Harry's Triwizard's winning from last year. Mothers just magically knew everything.

Crossing her arms together, she said, "I'll ask Ronald, once I can get in touch with him. Did you do something illegal?"

Fred and George gasped, "Such accusations!"

"Very trusting, Mum."

"We're officially offended."

"And we should head back to the store. Fred."

"Right."

Oh, here's the quick recap, minus gruesome details of the whole 'move in' controversy.

Daisy politely declined.

She would be forbidden from roaming around the place, anyway. Confined in the second floor where Fred and George lived without anyone to talk to during business hours.

At least there was another jobless bum accompanying her all day here.

Plus, she was going to move out to her dormitory in three months. It would be too much of a hassle to pack, unpack, then pack and unpack again.

George was a bit disappointed, Fred more than him, of course. But they understood. Sirius, on the other hand, was smug. Tonks finally whacked him on the back, sick of listening to his groundless boast.

"Bye, then, everyone," Fred announced, but his eyes were glued to Daisy's. He winked.

"See you soon," she said back with a meaningful smile. Then added hastily to avoid any suspicion, "George. Fred."

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

May 10th, 1996

BACK IN HOGWARTS, it became clear just how many Skiving Snackboxes Fred and George had managed to sell before leaving Hogwarts. Professor Umbridge repeatedly entered her classroom for students assembled there to faint, vomit, develop dangerous fevers, or spout blood from both nostrils.

Shrieking with rage, she attempted to trace the mysterious symptoms to their source, but the students told her stubbornly they were suffering from Umbridge-itis. None of the teachers who obviously knew what was going on bothered to help her crack the case, too.

Watching the poor professor's frustration was a good diversion and entertainment for the Golden Trio, who had to devote every free moment they had to studying. O.W.L.s are less than a month to go.

There was also one thing weighing on Harry's mind.

Nearly every night, he made the journey along the Department of Mysteries corridor in his dreams. Yes, Sirius had warned him to continue his Occlumency lessons with Snape, and Hermione kept reverting any conversation to it when Harry least expected it.

"You are trying to block your mind, aren't you?" said Hermione last week, looking beadily at Harry. "You are keeping going with your Occlumency?"

"Of course I am," Harry replied, trying to sound as though her question was insulting. But the truth was, he was so intensely curious about what was hidden in that room full of dusty orbs that he was quite keen for the dreams to continue.

Last night he had passed through the circular room, then the room full of clicking and dancing light, until he found himself again inside that cavernous room full of shelves of dusty glass spheres. He had hurried straight toward row number ninety-seven, turned left, and ran along it... And before he could reach the end of the row, he found himself lying in bed again, gazing up at the canopy of his four poster.

As for Ron, no he wasn't having dream problem of You-Know-Who, but he was having one with his abysmal goalkeeping ability.

Today was the final match of the Quidditch season, Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw, and despite Ron's new optimism (he said to his best friends grimly over breakfast this morning, "I mean, I can't get any worse, can I? Nothing to lose now, is there?"), the Slytherins livened up the start of the match with their singing:

Weasley cannot save a thing,
He cannot block a single ring...

Ginny, one of the only decent players Gryffindor got after the departure of Fred, George, and Harry, was sweating underneath her Quidditch gear. The lioness inside of her roared, silently screaming that she wanted to win... She wanted Gryffindor to win.

The echoes of Slytherin's song started to ring in her head. It didn't help that the Keeper they were taunting was her brother, so they shared the same surname and whenever they said Weasley, she thought it was referring to her, too.

Weasley cannot save a thing!

But then, came the surprising turn of event.

Bradley from Ravenclaw's team flew in with a Quaffle in his hand and he looked like he was aiming for the right goal hoop, but Ron took the chance and flew left—

"And Weasley— WHAT?! HE DID WHAT?! DID YOU SEE THAT, TOO? I WASN'T IMAGINING THINGS, WAS I? WEASLEY SAVES IT, WOO-HOO!"

Ginny's heart leapt, hopeful, and she cheered as Lee accidentally elbowed his microphone down causing an earsplitting feedback. Ron's grin was so huge, she thought he might tore his cheeks.

The match felt so slow, yet so quick.

Ron's ability skyrocketed within minutes, and someone in the Gryffindor stand crafted a spinoff from Slytherin's song:

Weasley is our King,
He didn't let the Quaffle in,
Weasley is our King
Weasley can save anything,
He never leaves a single ring
That's why Gryffindors all sing:
Weasley is our King

Right after Ginny finished calculating the score, the Golden Snitch zoomed through Ravenclaw's left post, and she flew. She just flew, pushed through, eyes glued to the fluttering flying ball.

Cho Chang tried to knock her off her broom, but she maneuvered and dived down, and the next thing she knew, she had the Snitch in her hand.

"YOUNGEST WEASLEY CAUGHT THE SNITCH, AAAAAAND GRYFFINDOR WINS! GO WEASLEYS!"

The match ended with Ravenclaw's Seeker crying and chucking her broom away when she got back to the ground.

"Michael! Michael!" she pushed past the crowd to reach her boyfriend, uncharacteristically sulking in a corner with his friends.

"Hey, Gin," Michael said. There was no hint of happiness or pride in his tone at all.

"What is it?" Ginny asked, concerned, "Is something wrong?"

"No, it's just... Y'know, Ravenclaw could've won." When Michael saw Ginny crossing her hands and looking at him with her eyebrows raised did he realize that he said something wrong. "I mean... You were good, Gin! I was just putting my bet that the Cup could be ours this year, it's such a bummer."

"It's a good game," Ginny said, "And it was fair."

"Just... How did your brother get that good, that easily? Did Harry Potter help him train or something?"

"No, he's actually pretty good."

"You're kidding."

Now she was getting offended. "He is! In case you forgot, I grow up with him, and I've seen him play at home so many times. He's just a bit nervous when there are people watching."

"He can't be! And— and your Captain, too! Did you see what she did to Verona back then? She cheated, she had to cheat!"

"Michael!"

"What? I'm just stating the most probable reasoning that cause this outcome!"

In conclusion, he was a bad loser. He ended the argument and their relationship by saying that he was going to comfort Cho.

Ginny rolled around her bed that night, bored and burnt out after an afternoon full of festive celebration, when she finally remembered the parchment Fred had given her before he left. She took the paper out from her trunk —it looked just like her other empty parchments, a bit worn, nothing special— along with her quill.

"Let's try this," she murmured to herself.

She dipped her quill in ink and wrote.

Hello?

At first, nothing happened. But suddenly, the letters disappeared into the fabric, and her eyes widened. "Whoa..."

Ginny froze as blotches of ink reappeared, then formed themselves into sentences she didn't write herself, in a style she could definitely pinpoint as none other than Daisy's. It was Daisy's handwriting.

Hello, is this Ginny?

Followed by, Fred mentioned you might write!

Ginny hurriedly scrawled.

Yes! Daisy, I missed you!

I missed you, too! How are you? Is everything okay?

Yes, of course. I was just trying to see if this thing works.
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

It is, far quicker than sending letters.
Your mother has been trying to write you for weeks, but she fails every time.

Tell her to write using a pen name, like she's writing as a friend or cousin.

Alicia told me that's how her parents managed to get through Umbridge's screening.

Ah, will do.

How's Fred and George? Was Mum mad that they left? How's Dad? And the Order?

Your brothers are well. Their store is flourishing with fun and orders, so they're kept busy most of the time. Your Mother needed time to understand their decision, but once she saw how serious and devoted they were, she just let them be. Your Father's healthy. The two of them often drop by Grimmauld Place, along with Bill. The Order is handling things discreetly per usual.

Oh, I can't wait until we can see each other again.

Me, too!

What are you doing?

Nothing of importance. Just reading. And you?

In bed. I might go to sleep soon, it's been a long day.

We had a Quidditch match this morning.

That's right, you're a Seeker now!
Did you catch the Snitch?

I did.

The two girls chatted for hours, until Ginny's neck was sore from writing while laying on her stomach for too long.

"Err... What's up, Gin? What time is it?"

One of Ginny's roommates awoke from her slumber, yawning.

She jerked in her position in surprise and whispered back, "N... Nothing, Helen. Go back to sleep."

"Oh... Okay. Night."

I should write you again, only in the case of emergencies.

It'll be difficult  to explain if this falls in the wrong hands.

Okay. I'll keep an eye on this parchment, always. Good night, Ginny.

Good night, Daisy.

I love you. And I'm always here for you.

I love you, too! See you really soon.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

May 21st, 1996

IT WAS A rare occasion, that night. Undisturbed and free, as confidential topics were brought onto the table over butterbeers and firewhisky.

Just Bill, Charlie, Tonks, Fred, George, and Daisy.

Yes, Charlie was dropping by from Romania.

Bill had gone to great lengths, making sure that they all could gather at the twins' newly settled flat for 'private celebration', but he deliberately left out the part where he brought Fleur Delacour along.

"Ah, wonderful to meet you!" She made kissing sounds as she placed her cheeks against Daisy's. "I 'ave 'eard so much about you from Bill! Daisy Jane, magnifique name."

"Merci beaucoup," Daisy replied with a little curtsy, "Your beauty exceeds what little the boys have told me, Ms. Delacour. I hope you found them agreeable throughout your stay in Hogwarts?"

"Well I don't really remember much about you boys, but everyone was very welcoming, in 'ogwarts! And eet led to me to Gringotts, zen Bill, so I 'ave no-zing to complain about."

Daisy gave the twins a side glance to warn them from staring too hard, both in disbelief and disdain.

Fleur was... a bit too talkative and carefree. Daisy even learned that Marisol and Vincent's family was indeed very powerful in France. Apparently Fleur's magical uncle had dealt in Muggle business with them.

"Oh, so you're really in the Order?" Tonks asked.

"Yes! You 'ave no idea 'ow many secret zings a part timer like me could 'ear," Fleur placed a hand over Bill's and looked at him, "Bill and I make a great team, don't we?"

"Aaw... You sure do."

"And 'ow about you zree?" Fleur turned her head to the youngest trio, "Are you in ze Order, too, hm?"

"Yeah, we're all in the Order now, since we got back," Fred replied, "Also on the Intel part, like you."

"Loads of people with information come to the shop," George added.

"And you? You're a Muggle, aren't you, Daisy? Non-magic?"

It wasn't said in a taunting or demeaning tone, and Daisy could feel that Fleur was sincerely curious. It was just a naive question.

But for some who already decided to dislike her, that was pretty offensive.

"What do you mean by that?" Fred snapped.

"I am a Muggle," Daisy interjected. She quietly slipped her hand into his underneath the table to calm him down. "They're just kind enough to let me in on the ordeal."

Fred squeezed her hand back and relaxed at her touch.

"She's smart, and she gives good strategies," Tonks explained. "Especially when it has something to do with Muggles."

Fleur nodded, "Ah! I see..."

"It's not going so great, is it?" Charlie quipped as he placed his half-empty drink on the table.

"Yeah," said Bill, "Most of what we get is about the Ministry's move on Sirius and Dumbledore. None about You-Know-Who."

"It's been six, seven months since we heard he's looking for the prophecy to guarantee his win... How's it going now, Surveillance?" Charlie elbowed Tonks, who shrugged. "Nothing after your Dad's attack last Christmas."

"Snape's been a real arse," George muttered, "You know he's refusing to continue with Harry's Occlumency lessons? All the other teachers at Hogwarts are getting harder to reach, now that Umbridge is running more rampant at school. Ridiculous."

"Now that you mention it, it has been awhile since I met Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape, or Hagrid."

"Dumbledore, too. Where is that guy, anyway?"

"Laying low."

"Those Death Eaters are also laying so low, there's nothing we can do about them."

"Yeah," Tonks nodded, "We basically just surveil them sleeping every night."

"Recruitment sucks, too, right?"

"No one believes that You-Know-Who's back, the Ministry is making sure of that. They're all too busy with denial," Charlie said, shrugging.

"Heard Dumbledore's thinking of sending Remus to the lair of wolves," said Bill.

"I know!" Tonks exclaimed incredulously, "That's ridiculous, right?"

"Why is that so ridiculous?"

"Even Hagrid got all beaten up after trying his luck with the giants."

"Exactly the point! Hagrid tried. I tried. Dealing with werewolves is literally the last resort," Charlie argued.

"It's a death wish!"

"Aren't we risking our lives by joining the Order?"

"She likes him, Charles, that's why she's defensive," Bill said, laughing.

"I am curious, Tonks," Fleur butted in, "What do you like so much about 'im?"

"Everything."

That earned playful and mocking coos, puking sounds, and laughter from the boys.

"No no, why are you laughing?" Fleur exclaimed, "Zat's admireable."

"Remus is really kind," Daisy said, "And a bit held back, sometimes, so your outspoken character actually compliments him well."

"Why, thank you, girls! I appreciate the support."

"Speaking of relationships," Bill cleared his throat dramatically. He shifted in his seat and smiled smugly, "Why are you two kids holding hand under the table, huh?"

Daisy and Fred pulled their hands apart so abruptly —Fred's hit the table with a really loud thud and he howled in pain. Their faces flushed red in embarrassment.

"What?!" Charlie stood up from his seat, eyes bulging in surprise. "What?!"

"Since when?!" Tonks exclaimed, "You two! I never knew!"

"What's going on?" Fleur asked around, clueless, "What's going on?"

"We're just— It's just— You know, er," Fred scratched his head awkwardly, "You guys know... I like her."

The hysteric screams and laughter could probably be heard from the street, if not for the Imperturbable Charm.

"I can't believe I'd live to see the day you get all shy and awkward, Freddie!" Tonks reached over to ruffle his hair. "I'm sooo proud of you."

"I thought you're keeping it quiet! Why didn't you listen to me?" said George, "If you act all cool, no one would even guess you're officially dating now."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Come on. You've been acting like old married couple since we're, like, ten."

"It's quite new..." Daisy admitted abashedly, "So we'll appreciate it if none of the adults catch a wind of this yet."

Tonks placed her palm on her chest and swore solemnly, "What happens in Diagon Alley, stays in Diagon Alley."

"If Mum knows," George wheezed, "Godric, if Mum knows, she might start planning your wedding for next week."

"Brilliant! Ron's gonna be broke when he get back," Charlie doubled over, roaring in laughter, "Hang on, brother. You bet sixteen, didn't you? You, too, George, pay up!"

"Bet?"

"I paid you already, man, with the drinks."

"That doesn't count."

Daisy and Fred exchanged a glance and burst out laughing themselves. Then he reached over her shoulders and pulled her into a side hug —a gesture he had done so many times before, but never sent him this much feels.

He's been feeling that way, lately. Like the world was infused with more colors and emotions whenever she was around.

So did she.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.3K 2.1K 32
Pandora Black was the youngest Black sibling. She was close to both of her brothers, even Sirius, though he had left home when she wasn't even old en...
12.5K 375 14
(I am bad at summaries, but the story will be better. Promise) Jordan Ray is best friends with the Weasleys. Some of them. She hates Percy for obviou...
119K 3.9K 27
Charlie X Reader, 'Playing With Fire' Book 1 (Series Completed) *** "Uh, yeah. I stopped going to classes a while back. Believe it or not, that's not...
1.5K 146 71
Written in first person, this is story of a Ravenclaw, Mary, who falls in love with Fred Weasley. At first, it's perfect, but she learns that he has...