[ON HIATUS]To Be The Duke's D...

By MysticalAuthor103

Summary: After the tragic end of Kierra Parvis's life, she was given another chance to live the life she alwa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49

Chapter 43

618 25 9
By MysticalAuthor103

"Can't dad just uninvite her?" Benjamin asked and Lucas shook his head. "You can't just uninvite a guest brother, its very rude" Leilin said, "but he knows what happened during their last meeting" Benjamin reasoned. But still, you can't cancel an invitation unless an emergency comes up that forces them to do so and we certainly can't fake any deaths here.

"Benjamin-" Lucas started but was quickly cut off "Lucas weren't you the one who offered to cut off the hands of the duke?" Benjamin said, "yes but-" "see! Isn't it enough reason that we hate them?" Benjamin cuts him off again. "Will you stop cutting me off" The annoyance that accompanied his voice made Benjamin silent. "Yes, I threatened to cut off the dukes hand and yes, I hate them but we can't let those petty fights become the reason to act rudely towards a neighboring duchy which, by the way, can taint our own reputation" he lectured then turned to look at me.

"What do you think, Keira?" He asked, "huh?" I looked back at him, as if anything I say will change dad's mind and the mind of society. "Brother Lucas is right, we can't just act rashly, they'll come and go, we just have to put up with them for a few weeks then their out the door. We've put up with Rashta until now, I'm sure they're more simpler to handle"

"Seriously? You too?" Benjamin sounded annoyed nobody agreed with him but to be honest, we also don't want them here, but like Lucas said, we shouldn't let our pettiness be the reason to have a bad mark on our reputation.

"Now that's settled" Lucas said, leaning back, "I just can't figure out a reason for us to be friendly to them" we looked at each other, knowing that we all had the same problem. "When are they arriving?" Leilin asked, cutting the silence, "no clue, it can be today or tomorrow or next week" I said, distracted as I fiddled with the pieces on a chess board. Benjamin let out a sigh, though it sounded more like a groan.

"I'm really curious how those two interact though" Leilin admits, "Cossette and Rashta?" She nods, "I mean, how did those two meet in the first place?" "I guess we'll find out soon" I knocked over the king using the knight, things just got a little more..interesting.

*

"Now remember, keep your chin up, smile only when it feels right" Lucas reminded us as we stood in a neat line side by side, waiting for the carriage with the very well know crest of Parvis engraved on it. I lightly tapped my foot impatiently, looking at anything but the gate, I looked over at my parents, my dad was checking up on the prepared guest room for Cosette. Normally, she's meant to stay in the West Palace but due to Rashta's request, she's staying in the mansion with us.

I could tell the carriage is near with the light rumble of the ground and because I can hear the wheels hitting the pavement. I continued to stare at the fountain in front of us, dreading the audible sound of metal scrapping metal as the gate opened. The distant neigh of a horse made my attention dart to the carriage which I didn't realize was already about to come to a halt.

I couldn't look away anymore, it was too late, I've made eye contact with Cosette, "Welcome, Princess of Parvis" my father greeted, staring down at her so intensely even I was intimidated, "Its nice to once again see you Duke" she said in the same joyful tone Rashta uses, so that's what they have in common, alright, note taken.

"I believe we didn't leave each other a good impression, let me introduce myself again, I am Cosette Parvis, I hope you treat me with care during my stay" she bowed, slightly lifting the left side of her dress, her fingertips gently holding onto the fabric while her right hand was on her chest.

"I hope you find your stay comfortable" Lucas said, watching as Cosette straightened her back, regaining her poise posture a while ago, dad left the butler responsible for guiding her to her room and leading her Rashta.
— —
Watching them interact in the garden made me feel like a jealous friend who's watching their best friend become the best friend of another person. Its not like I'm jealous of their relationship, its the least I need to be concerned for, I'm just curious on how it even started.

"You know Keira, they wouldn't feel safe if you keep on looking at them like that" Lucas said behind me, "I agree" Leilin backs him up, "Oh please don't be dramatic" I groaned, looking back at them with crossed arms "We aren't, you have mom's sharp glare, it's terrifying" Lucas said with exaggeration.

"Its not that murderous" I defend, Lucas looked at me like I wasn't hearing myself "okay maybe it is, slightly" I admit, recalling the times I saw mom had the same stare on her face, it still sends shivers down my spine.

"Maybe its time to let the matter go for now, let Cosette settle in first before giving her the death glares" Lucas suggests, to which Leilin and Benjamin agreed to so naturally, I had to follow. Its going to be one hell of a week, knowing the person who killed me TWICE is in the same house as me makes me wary of anything and everything.

"As long as they don't find a reason to cause trouble, it'll be peaceful" Benjamin said, as if he was reading my mind. Okay mister mind reader.

"Your Grace!" The usual high voice of Rashta brought my attention back towards the window, I stared down at them, Rashta ran to my fathers arms, not noticing the way his body shifted uncomfortably, "Did you come here to check on Rashta?" She pulled her head away from his chest in order to show her bright smile.

"No, I'm here to check on the greenhouse, my wife hasn't been able to do it for past few days because of the overload in paperwork" As soon as he was able to loosen himself from her hug, he walked towards the familiar clear glass dome. Rashta looked at him dumbfounded which he repaid with a cold stare.

He glanced up to my direction, stared at me for a split second then turned around to head to his initial task. I felt the heavy heave on my chest lightened as he disappeared into the greenhouse. Looking back at Rashta, she was seeking comfort from Cosette, possibly complaining about how the duke ignored her, "ugh" I rolled my eyes and turned around to face my siblings, all looking at me anticipated to hear the tea.

"She's all tears again" I sat down on the leather chair beside me, turning it side to side as I listen to their trash talks about her. "Seriously how does she not run out of tears?" Leilin looked at me as if I was supposed to know the answer to that, "she cries about the smallest thing like a child" Benjamin complained and I couldn't agree more.

"Mom isn't back yet?" Leilin asked, stretching the entirety of her body on the couch, "nope" Benjamin lazily dangled his arm from the side of the couch. Its the first time mom has been gone for this long without the reason being a meeting or what not. Safe to say that the unnecessary self straining she has done in the past is no longer being observed mainly because she doesn't want my brothers to be babbling on and on for hours again.

"It's suspicious, don't you think?" Lucas said tossing a coin up in the air, catching it just in time "what is?" "She invites her two weeks before your birthday" he points out as I slowly nod. "You think she's up to something?" Leilin asked "I think they're up to something" he corrects. "I mean, she should know that the number one rule is that you can never invite someone without the head of the house knowing, unless if its sudden and this is sure as hell not sudden, last time I checked Parvis isn't on fire"

I nearly chuckled with the strange and morbid reference but I was able to keep it in. "She invites her here before a major event without any proper reason other than missing her? Your banquet is going to be big, nearly everyone all over the continent is invited, people we like and don't like, obviously Cosette will be attending as well so why can't they just spend time there? And if Rashta thinks there isn't enough time then she can stay over after the party"

"Brother I think your diving too deep into this, can't it be that Rashta misses her friend?" "Maybe, maybe not" he sighed and stood up to place the gold coin back on the table, "just make sure to keep your guard up. You never know whats inside ones mind"
-
"Mother?" I knocked on her study door, after a few seconds of silence, I opened it quietly, she was working on paperwork again, her only supplying light came from outside, "You're working in the dark again" I said as I approached her, "I'm more used to this" she lifts me up and sat me down on her lap "Dad said it'll damage your eyes" she chuckled "you should know full well that your dad usually makes things up" I looked at her with a pout, "atleast now I get where Lucas gets his stubbornness from" I smiled, staring at the paper she was signing.

"You really have a counter for everything huh?" She kissed my cheek as I let out a giggle "Of course, I learned from the best" I said, grinning from ear to ear. "Has Cosette been kind?" She asked, slightly catching me off guard. "So far, I haven't interacted with her much since she arrived" I was playing with the handle of the drawer that I didn't realize mom had stopped working. "Hm, I see, well make sure that you tell me immediately if she treats you wrongfully, understand? It doesn't matter how big of a deal it is" she instructed and I couldn't do anything but nod, her overprotectiveness isn't something new but it seemed like she was more..alert than before. Maybe because this time there's two of them she needs to keep an eye on? I'm not sure. But that sense of alertness is definitely affecting me more that its meant to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 344 22
Just seventeen, Keira is not eager to decide the rest of her life, but as usual, she will not have much choice. She has always known she would have...
406K 16.3K 75
[Complete] I am a 16 years old modern girl who has lived my whole life in the hospital due to an unknown illness. After I've died because of that ill...
141K 5.7K 88
Amber chose to become a VILLAIN Amber had worked all her life to become a surgeon and had died on her way home from her graduation ceremony. She'd do...
206K 8.7K 28
My name is Aika asami, a normal teenage girl who just died from saving an unknown child from being hit by a car assuming that I'm already died, a voi...