Riptide (Chicago PD)

By KNeill006

Sandrelly Santos packs up and leaves Brazil abruptly. She's happy to leave her friends and family so whatever... More

Meet Sandrelly
Rules
Talking
Surf's Up
Stream
Neon Paint
Broken Arm
Home Sweet Home
Catchup
BBQ
Ava
Team VS Team
Scared
Peter
The Streets
Halstead
I miss mom
The Man In Black
Punch Ups
Abs
The Chase
I say it's him
British
Gone wrong
Heartbreak
Resting time
Hospital
Who is Ava?
Ducks
Home for the Holidays

Bruises

1K 19 0
By KNeill006

I pushed Antonio off of Jay and stood between them to stop them from fighting.

"Whatever you two have going on, you need to sort it out!" I shouted.

Hank just stood there and looked at me while nodding to agree with me.

"I was on a team with all boys and not once did they get into fights!"

"It's nothing." Said Antonio and walked off.

"No. You started this fight." I said and pulled him back so Jay and him were facing each other.

"He should've had your six. You wouldn't be soaking wet right now, if he wasn't too busy on the phone."

"Let me clear something up, okay? I walked off from Jay. He said he was going to update Hank and I said I was just going to take a look. I didn't radio in and that is my fault. So stop blaming Jay and grow up!"

"Yep. Sorry." Said Antonio.

"Pack up guys. We've got a guy to find." Said Hank.

Once we got back to the district, I was changing out of my top and putting on a new one.

*Jay's Pov*

I needed to grab something from my locker so I headed there while the others were looking at some CCTV footage.

As I walked in, Sandrelly was in the middle of taking off her top. I went to put my hand over my eyes but stopped when I saw more blue and purple spots than her actual tanned skin.

"What happened?" I asked.

She paused what she was doing and just stared back at me. She was going to attempt to cover herself but she knew it was no use. I had already seen the bruises.

"Are you just going to stare?" She asked.

"What happened?"

"Mugging on my first day in Chicago."

"Bullshit. Tell me the truth."

"I've already told you. I got mugged."

"What did they look like?"

"Dunno. Should've seen the other guy, though. He was worse off."

"I love your humour, I do, but not about this. Who did this?"

"It's nothing, Jay."

"Sandrelly. Please don't do this. Don't lie to me."

"You don't know me, Jay. You know nothing about me. Can you just drop it?"

"Fine but this conversation isn't done."

"Dropping it means we are done. For good. This conversation, it's done." She said as she put her top on.

"Don't just walk out on me. Please, tell me what happened."

"Back off, Jay!"

"Okay." I said and raised my hands in defence.

"Everything okay?" Asked Hank.

"It's fine." I said and barged past Sandrelly.

I like her I do but if she's going to lie to me, then I give up. She's been here for long enough that I thought we were like family. We trusted each other or so I thought.

"Antonio, a word."

"What's up, Jay? I don't want another fight."

"Neither do I. Did San tell you anything about a mugging?"

"Small bits. Ask Will, he's know more than me."

"Thanks bro."

As soon as the case was finished and we had caught the guy, I went straight over to Will's place and knocked on the door until he answered.

"Jeez, how many times do you need to knock?"

"What do you know about San?"

"Same as you. Her life in Brazil and everything."

"No. The mugging."

He let out a deep breath and rubbed his hand over his face.

"Listen, I don't know much but I do know that the whole mugging thing was a lie. I kept it going but told her she needed to tell someone eventually before something like this happened."

"You knew she was lying?"

"Yeah but I didn't push it because we had only just met."

"Thanks." I said and went to leave.

"Where are you going?"

"To buy beers and to talk to San."

"Jay. Don't."

"No! She is my friend and I am worried about her."

"Fine but don't come crying to me when you lose her as a friend."

"Don't worry, I won't."

I slammed Will's door shut and then paused to take a breather. Once I was calm, I drove to the store, grabbed some beer and then knocked on San's door.

When she swung it open, she looked down at my hands and then stepped out of the way to let me in.

"You can join me on the balcony."

I grabbed us both a beer and then took a seat on her balcony with her.

"Chicago is pretty."

"Probably not as pretty as Brazil."

"Some parts were pretty, others not so much."

"What happened, San?"

"My old Sargent." She said and looked down as if it all came flashing back.

"What did he do?"

"He was strict. He had a lot of rules. One was that we had to call him Sargent James. Call him anything else and you would be punished."

"What did you call him?"

"I let it slip once or twice and called him Sarge. It's what I used to call Lucy, my old old boss."

"Is that why you called Voight, Sargent?"

"Yep."

"And you begged him not to hit you?"

"Yeah. I didn't want to slip up and lose my job or worse, getting a beating."

"He did that to you because you called him the wrong name?"

"No. I left him to die."

"What?"

"His other rule was that we do our job and the Paramedics do theirs. I had a friend Sammy, who stayed by my side when I was shot. The Sargent nearly killed him for it. It was ironic really, he wanted me to break that rule for him. I ran after the suspects and called it in. I chased them to the edge of a bridge. They jumped and I didn't. Sammy jumped in. I thought out everyone, he would understand."

She explained the whole story in detail and when the team attacked her. It made me feel sick. Being a Sargent is an honour so why would someone ever dream of doing that?

"Why didn't you jump?"

"I'm scared of drowning. I know it's odd considering I used to surf. I quit after I went under. I nearly died. I can't remember what happened after my brother, Diego, dragged me out but next thing I knew, I was in a hospital bed."

I moved closer to her and gave her a hug as she cried into my chest. I took her beer out of her hand and placed her's down next to mine as I tightened my hug around her.

"I'm sorry. I should've told you."

"You didn't have to but I'm glad you did. I'm here for you."

"Thanks Jay. I think I can now consider you my bestfriend if you'll accept it."

"I accept the responsibility of being your bestfriend."

"Cheers."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to Sammy? Did he hurt you?"

"No. I don't know where he was when it happened. He probably left. I haven't spoken to him in about a three months. He was my bestfriend since the 1st grade."

"You should reach out."

"No. I need to focus on life in Chicago."

"San, talk to him."

"How?"

"I don't know. Ask how that girl Abigail did in her heat."

"He doesn't know Abi."

"C'mon, just talk to him."

"I might. Thanks for this, Jay. It felt good to finally tell someone."

"No problem. I'm here for you."

I left her apartment and went home for bed. Hank said we were patrolling for the parade tomorrow and we needed to be alert.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 2.7K 85
This story based on 2 years after Erin left to go to New York to take a job to keep Bunny out of jail. I kept Alvin Olinksey alive in the story as we...
177K 2.7K 38
When hank voights adopted daughter returns home to Chicago, her life seems to get better. But better is the enemy of good... -Chicago PD-
43.5K 762 38
The Intelligence unit goes to a school to talk to students and ask about crimes in the area. They meet two young girls who are rude and mouthy but al...
14.2K 794 24
In which a paramedic from Saint-Louis moves to Chicago to start over. Turns out she had no clue what the windy city had in store for her. JAY HALSTEA...