Lost in July

By leorosebooks

Collin Fitzpatrick has suffered from depression since he was twelve years old, crushed by a darkness with no... More

introduction.
prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
epilogue.
author's note

XXX

306 10 2
By leorosebooks

Trigger warning: this chapter mentions SA & domestic violence. Please do not read if those topics will trigger you. <3

Margo
~
I can tell Collin is trying to protect me and ensure that I have a good night, and honestly it warms my heart.

We just walked into the dance and he's holding onto my hand for dear life. I don't know if it's more for him or me.

Either way, his strong hold on me and the powerful scent of his cologne is enough to sooth my anxiety.

I also smoked like half a pack of cigarettes before getting on the subway, so I guess that helped a bit.

Meeting Collin's parents wasn't as bad as I though. Mr. Fitzpatrick is a bit scary though. He kept staring at me like he knew my secret. Mrs. Fitzpatrick was sweet though, and very funny.

I'm still in awe at how different our home lives are. Sure, we both have neglectful parents but he lives in a mansion on the richest side of the city while I'm in a one story ranch in Harlem. His kitchen was practically the size of my entire house.

I'm just glad they didn't ask me any questions. I wouldn't be able to put on the rich girl façade.

"You want something to drink?" Collin leans down to whisper in my ear, sending tingles down my spine. I love when he does that.

I shake my head and he nods, pulling me towards the drink table anyway. He grabs a bottle of water for himself and tells me I can have as much as I want.

There aren't too many people yet but the music is loud, considering there's a giant stage with a random band singing the classics. Live music? How rich are these kids?

We go to sit at one of the small tables in the corner, the bright multicolor lights flashing around the room, blinding me.

"So, what do you say we find the roof?" Collin says, speaking up a bit so I can hear him over the music. I'm shocked at what he said. Usually I'm the one recommending the bad ideas.

I raise my brows at him. "I thought you wanted to dance?" I joke.

He frowns and looks at the few kids standing around, laughing and dancing to the music. "Definitely not."

I laugh. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but... what if we just give it a shot?"

Collin stares at me like I just punched him. "Are you saying you want to stay at this dance with a bunch of kids you don't know?"

I nod. "Yep," no, actually, I don't, but I think it'd be good for Collin to be around his peers with someone he can lean on when he gets anxious. I want him to see that these kids don't mean anything. We just have to get through high school and then we'll never see them again. He lets these strangers hold him back and it breaks my heart.

"Why?"

I shrug. "Maybe it will be fun,"

Collin seems to think i've lost my mind. "Are you feeling okay?"

He puts the back of his hand to my forehead as if checking my temperature. I push his arm away, rolling my eyes. "I'm fine. Let's just stay for a little bit, if we hate it we can go to the roof. Deal?"

Collin begrudgingly puts his hand out and I shake it, locking in our deal. "This is gonna suck," he mumbles.

"There's one problem with this deal," I say hesitantly.

Collin looks unamused. "What?"

"I don't really know how these things work," I've never been to a school dance. Especially not with a bunch of kids in fucking designer dresses and perfectly trailered suits.

Collin smirks. "Ah, a rookie?" He's so fucking annoying and cute it's gross. When I only offer him an annoyed glance, he continues. "Don't worry, I'll lead our dances. I'm pretty skilled."

I can't tell if he's lying or not, but I don't care. The way he's talking I think I'd trust him with anything.

I stand up confidently. "Then show me how." I cross my arms in front of my chest and wait for him to react.

He keeps his face stoic and stands up, that stupid smirk he's been wearing lately on his lips. He puts his hand out to me. "May I have this dance?"

I fucking giggle like an idiot and take his hand. "You may,"

His soft masculine hand grips mine as he leads me onto the dance floor. Ironically, it's a fast paced song that I haven't heard. It's far too awkward to dance to and I don't plan on grinding up against him like the rest of these horny ass kids.

Collin and I just stare a knowing look, laughing with each other. His smile is so handsome it nearly stops my heart.

"Collin?" A male voice says from behind me. I see Collin look at whoever the voice is, his eyes widening, that smile I've come to love disappearing.

I turn around and instinctively step back to lean against Collin. He wraps a protective arm around my waist as he stands to his full height.

"Davis," Collin says lowly.

"Surprised to see you here, and with a hot date no less," the boy trails his eyes up and down my body, shamelessly checking me out.

Collin's hands clench my waist tightly and my entire back is against his front as if he's scared Davis' eyes will hurt me.

"The hot date has a name and her body is definitely not for your eyes," I smartly respond to his disgusting glares. I rest comfortably into Collin's arms to emphasize my point.

"What do you want, Davis?" Collin asks.

Davis raises his hands innocently. "I was just shocked to see you. I thought you were too miserable to be seen in public," the asshole shrugs as if it's the most normal thing to say and I fight the urge to knee him in the dick.

"It's sweet that you care," Collin responds dryly. I can see that he's tired of whoever this Davis kid is, and it breaks my heart to see the exhaustion he wore so well in Orchard Hills come back.

I can tell Davis is trying to think of another snarky comment so I quickly interject. "Look, I get you've missed my date here, but unfortunately he asked me to the dance tonight and not you," I look into Davis' shocked eyes and smirk evilly.

"Now, Davis was it?" I pause as if he'll respond but his eyes only narrow. "If you don't mind, I'd like to enjoy a dance with my boyfriend now."

Luckily, the music changed to a slow song as I pulled Collin away from Davis. We head into the crowd of couples already dancing. We stop and Collin grabs both my hands, looking down at me with some kind of urgency.

Instead of speaking he let's go of my hands, using one to lift my chin and the other to pull me flush to him. Then, he leans down and kisses me hard.

His lips cover mine with an urgency I haven't felt before. I kiss him back quickly, wrapping my arms around his neck.

We don't kiss for too long, not interested in the PDA. He gently bites my bottom lip as we pull apart. The shyness on his face makes me think he did it subconsciously.

He then grabs my hand, the other falling to my waist and pulling me close. "Follow my lead," he whispers.

I haven't seen him this confident before. It's almost contagious. He slowly starts to move his feet, encouraging me to move with him. Before I know it, we're slow dancing next to a bunch of other random teenagers to a slow song by a live band.

I honestly never saw that coming. And I think i'm even more surprised that I like it. I feel happy. Normal, even.

Once I start to get the hang of the dance, I move my eyes from Collin's feet to his eyes only to find that he's already staring at me.

I feel myself start to blush. "What?"

"You know what I'm gonna say," he says, smirking at me. I really don't have a clue what he's going to say, though. I only narrow my eyes and wait for him to respond.

"You're fucking beautiful," he whispers. He almost looks mad as he continues. "It's painful that you don't see yourself the way I do."

Why does he say shit like that? How do I even respond?

I decide to simply shake my head and rest my head on his shoulder as we continue to dance. It's peaceful and I try not to think about the unbelievable kindness of the man leading me around the dance floor. Everything inside me tells me I don't deserve him, and I know my brain is right, but I cannot let him go. I refuse to.

Eventually the music changes to a more upbeat song. We let go of each other and I tell Collin that I'm going to the bathroom. He shows me where it is and assures me that he'll be waiting outside. I roll my eyes at his over-protective self, but I secretly like it. It's nice to have someone genuinely care about you.

There are two girls doing their makeup in the mirror, but all the stalls are empty. I don't really need to pee, but I'm desperate for a minute alone to breathe. The soft senseless chatter from the girls is surprisingly calming. I hear them leave a minute later and I quickly rush out of the stalk to freshen up in the mirror. I fluff up my curls and rub the mascara that's smeared up my eyes.

I take a deep breath, glaring at myself in this stupid dress and encourage myself to head back out to Collin. As I grab the handle, the door is roughly pushed into me from outside, hitting me and causing me to stumble backwards.

I'm about to cuss out the bitch who came barging in only to find X, my worst nightmare in one human body. His tall, skinny, tattooed figure hovers over me like a bear eyeing its prey. Everything inside me freezes and my stomach drops.

God, Margo, do not fucking throw up.

"Hi there, Babe," his disgusting, manipulative smile appears on his face. His dark eyes are peering down at me with familiar lust and anger. All I see is pure malice and I already know how this is going to go.

"What do you want?" I ask him, trying to sound fearless and intimidating.

He steps closer, his smile disappearing. "You think you can make me jealous? You think you can kiss other men, you fucking slut?" He's spitting his words in anger.

God, what did I do to deserve this fucking stalker? Why couldn't I have just stayed home that night. Why did I have to be so god damn stupid.

"I'm not trying to make you jealous, In fact, you don't even cross my mind unless you're fucking harassing me. I'm done with you. I'm moving on. You abused me. I don't belong to you and I don't want you." I stand up straight as I yell at him, grateful to my heels for getting me a little boost.

"You don't get to decide that," he growls, putting his face right up to mine, so close I can smell his breath. The usual mix of tobacco and marijuana.

"Yes, I do," my pure hatred for him and everything he's done to me the past few years overpowers my anxiety and I snap.  I take one step back and attempt to side step him but he grabs me, one arm around my waist and the other on my mouth to stop me from screaming. Suddenly I'm fifteen again, blind,y doing everything he wanted. Constantly trying to please him to avoid the inevitable anger. I'm back to the terrified girl lying naked in his bed, vulnerable and stripped of my innocence. Yet I consented, despite everything telling me not to.

This time I do not consent.

I throw my head back, hitting him in the jaw, catching him off guard. He loosens his grip and I spin in his hold, grabbing onto his shoulders and looking him in the eyes as my knee drives up to kick him right in the dick.

He immediately falls to the floor and I flee out of the bathroom. I look around frantically for Collin, but I can't find him. Fuck. I shouldn't have gone to the ducking bathroom. Did  X do something to Collin before he came to me?

I feel like I'm goin to have a panic attack. I don't know anyone here and my psychotic ex boyfriend probably killed the one human I like and he's probably on his way to kill me, too. All these rich kids wouldn't even fucking know how to handle this. I feel myself start to hyperventilate and try my god damn best to relax.

That's when I hear screams from the opposite side of the banquet hall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 127 26
In the midst of his teenage years, a 14-year-old high schooler found himself falling deeply in love for the very first time. However, there was a cat...
62 6 9
Max is struggling, plain and simple. After dropping out of school two years ago to help his mom with the bills and losing his best friend, he's just...
236K 11.7K 65
Trevor Jenkins, a reclusive individual, appeared to have everything he wanted in life as the only son of a millionaire. However, behind the picture-p...
207K 8.7K 23
'Accidents happen'. That's what people say. Yet, some accidents take away from us more than others. Ethan had it all. Everything was lined up in fr...