War of the Hares

By hallofhiiragi

The House of Hargrove is having a struggle with its heirs. Crown Lady Nicole Hargrove has passed and left beh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Epilogue

Chapter 16

12 1 0
By hallofhiiragi

Billy finally got to the castle. Having stolen a horse but was horrified at what he saw. Fields hazed, dragons soaring and the banners...the banners were flying were not his own. They were his cousins, the ones with the rose in the grey hare's mouth. 

He saw them all gathered around a pile. A pile of corpses. A dragon was right next to it. Black in colour and huge in size.

He got closer and heard a man yell, in a language he didn't understand. But from what he understood about dragons, it was the Toziers' command for dragon fire. Something like "Fotia Drakou."

The dragon obeyed his command and burnt the bodies. Then people started digging. Presumably for a mass grave.

He decided this was his chance, to take back what was his. While they were still off-guard.

"HEY!" He jumped out and yelled.

Everyone looked over at him. Then they unsheathed their swords. Which he also did.

"Oh dear cousin, it's about time we've reunited." He teased.

His little cousin seemed angry, very angry.

"You don't get to call me that after what you did. You are nothing but an enemy to me." He gritted his teeth.

"Oh ho ho, is the little cub still mad? Mad that a bastard like him doesn't get to be the lord of this castle?"

"Call him that again, I dare you." Bruce threatened.

"Relax Rue, I'll deal with him." He said, putting his hand out. Then he continued, "If you surrender, I'll let you live as long as you swear fealty."

"I would rather die a glorious death than live the rest of my life in shame."

"You already are, Billy." Wentworth interrupted. "Aren't you supposed to be at Selene? Did you run away from the fight?" He teased, grinning.

"Henry let me go."

"That was his mistake, 'cause we won't," Mikhail said.

"Pipe down, everyone. This is my fight alone." Vance said.

"He's right, so stay out of it."

"Hey!" He barked, "They're my men, not yours."

"You're right, so let's fight. Just one on one, me and you. A fight to the death. Whoever wins, gets to be Crown Lord of Leona."

Everyone looked at him, anticipating an answer. Vance took a deep breath in and out.

"I accept."

People gasped.

"Van, you can't. He's much stronger than you." Bruce said.

"And older," Will argued.

"Also wiser," Richie continued, without thinking about it.

"I dunno about that, son." Wentworth joked.

"What's your weapon of choice? Mine is my sword, Hickins." Billy swung it in the air to show it off. Then resting it on his shoulder.

"Take mine, danna." Bruce attempted to give him his katana. His husband refused.

"This," Vance said, holding his hands out. Then, in a flash, flame sprouted from his palms. Not even harming him.

"Not even a proper weapon."

"This is a proper weapon. But an untalented Destituian." He jabbed, in reference to his lack of pyro powers. A Destituian is what someone would call a magic-born that has little to no abilities themselves.

He grew angry at the insult and did the first strike. Which he dodged.

The fight has officially started and everyone was uneasy about Vance. Especially Bruce, who tried to give him aid.

On Vance's end, it was mostly defence mode. While it was offence for Billy.

"It's too bad you won't be able to see my victory. But say hello to your mother for me, won't you?" Billy teased, trying to get a rise out of him.

"Don't let him get to you, Vance. Just keep looking for an opening." Wentworth encouraged.

But his words went in one ear and out the other. He charged at him his fire...which had turned blue.

"You're the Manticore, aren't you?" Billy asked, remembering the prophecy. Why Hargrove even sported blue in the first place? Because they were told the Manticore would be one of them.

"Hell yes, I am." He said before grabbing his sword, making his palms cut. But he didn't care. Cause his anger powered his fire, which melted his sword. Then broke in half.

Billy stepped back but Vance managed to reach him. Slapping his face with blue fire. Burning his cheek. He pushed him to the ground. Then straddling him, with his hands on his throat. Still hot from his power.

Billy grabbed his wrists but to no avail. Vance was going to win. He shouldn't have been so foolish to leave.

"My dad will be back to get me." He choked out.

"Then he will meet the same fate as you and his wives. So, don't keep your mother waiting, cousin." He whispered in his ear. Then he pressed his fingers in harder. His flames became even hotter. As hot as they could be. (3000℃/5432℉)

Not even a demon could handle that heat. And as such, he died. Of asphyxiation. Winning an effective victory for the Rose Faction of the Hargroves.

But also deeming Vance the last Hargrove, at least for now.

"We won." It set in.

"We won!" He turned them and yelled. Finally relieved and hugged Bruce. The others joined in.

...

Everyone gathered in Leona's main hall. As the King, Vance, and Max were in the front. In front of the throne, made of wood. Rabbits and lions were carved into it.

King Samuel held the ancestral sword, Bloodbreaker, in his hands. An octon, clergy of the Eight, held a wooden bowl of oil. Vance and Bruce wore matching blue tunics with grey pants. While Max wore a blue dress. All three sported the sigil cloaks of House Hargrove. Mostly blue with the grey hare.

Vance bowed in front of the octon, who rubbed oil on his head eight times. One for each god.

"May Lyria give him heirs. May Harpius defend him in his time of need. May Thalna give him many allies. May Maris protect his future children. May Quirinus grant him courage. May Menvera give him the wisdom to rule. May Turan grant him the ability of empathy. And finally, may Leinth take him when the time is right."

Then he stayed on his knees. Samuel got the sword and tapped it on each shoulder.

"Rise," he said.

As Vance turned around, Samuel said, "I anoint you as Lord of Leona Castle and Gartenhall. Head of House Hargrove. Warden of the South. Vance Hargrove, son of Jacob Hopper and Nicole Hargrove."

Before he turned around, the king handed him his sword.

Then came the naming of his heir.

"Maxine of the Mayfield Family, please step forward." He said.

She did as he said. Her hair, kissed by fire, was in an elegant updo. An elaborate ponytail, if you will. Wearing a navy dress outlined with shining gold.

One of the pages then handed him a necklace on a pillow. He unclasped it and put it 'round her neck.

"I, Vance, of House Hargrove, name you the next-in-line for the seat, and my heir, should I die without issue."

After he finished, she turned around and bent her knee.

"I, Maxine, born from the blood of Mayfield, now of House Hargrove; promise to be faithful to my predecessor lord, Vance Hargrove. I shall defend him against all enemies, in good faith, and without deceit. I will inherit the torch and carry on our legacy, and eventually pass it down. I swear this by all the gods."

He smiled brightly, she smiled back as she stood up.

Then, the oaths of fealty occurred.

"I, Brandon, of House Holland, Lord of Ridgehollow; promise to be faithful to Lord Vance Hargrove and his heir, Lady Maxine Hargrove. I shall defend them against all enemies, in good faith, and without deceit. I swear this by all the gods."

The same thing occurred with Jason Carver, now Jason Belrose, Lord of Grand Parterre. His wife had finally given birth to their son the night before. They named him "Christopher". Now Crown Lord Belrose. An adorable little baby in everyone's eyes.

The newly-made House Bingham (the successors of House Holland), also pledged fealty. Their lord, Marcus, and his crown lady, Eden. The other children of this family were: Susan "Suzie", Tabitha, Tatum, Cornelius, Sterling, Tanner, and Peter. They lived together with the Hollands.

Then, the feast commenced. Where dance and song were present. But Vance first made a toast.

"I just want to say this: thank you. Thank you, for accepting me as the rightful lord. Even if some of you don't agree with a bastard sitting on the throne. I promise to heed the words of my council. And to be patient, and understanding, but also rational. I will also always do what's right for the people of Leona and Gartenhall."

They clapped, finally happy that a sensible person was ruling. Even if he was only a boy. A boy now permanently scarred by war and betrayal. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 3.1K 20
Billy Hargrove was everything i lived for. We made so many great memories. i cant lose him. Not now, not ever. He's still in there. You dated Steve...
133K 3.3K 43
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the towns two most violent delinquents hate one another, but soon realise that there's a invisible line between hate and love. ➜ �...
75.5K 6.6K 47
The uneasy stalemate between Zianna and Deorun is holding. Finn accompanies Tannix on a diplomatic mission to the Queendom of Navire, to ask Queen Av...
188K 4.4K 14
Dylan Hargrove: the grungy, angsty, jaded younger brother of ever-so infamous dickhead Billy Hargrove. Has the hotness, genetics and appeal that coul...