Chapter 16

Billy finally got to the castle. Having stolen a horse but was horrified at what he saw. Fields hazed, dragons soaring and the banners...the banners were flying were not his own. They were his cousins, the ones with the rose in the grey hare's mouth. 

He saw them all gathered around a pile. A pile of corpses. A dragon was right next to it. Black in colour and huge in size.

He got closer and heard a man yell, in a language he didn't understand. But from what he understood about dragons, it was the Toziers' command for dragon fire. Something like "Fotia Drakou."

The dragon obeyed his command and burnt the bodies. Then people started digging. Presumably for a mass grave.

He decided this was his chance, to take back what was his. While they were still off-guard.

"HEY!" He jumped out and yelled.

Everyone looked over at him. Then they unsheathed their swords. Which he also did.

"Oh dear cousin, it's about time we've reunited." He teased.

His little cousin seemed angry, very angry.

"You don't get to call me that after what you did. You are nothing but an enemy to me." He gritted his teeth.

"Oh ho ho, is the little cub still mad? Mad that a bastard like him doesn't get to be the lord of this castle?"

"Call him that again, I dare you." Bruce threatened.

"Relax Rue, I'll deal with him." He said, putting his hand out. Then he continued, "If you surrender, I'll let you live as long as you swear fealty."

"I would rather die a glorious death than live the rest of my life in shame."

"You already are, Billy." Wentworth interrupted. "Aren't you supposed to be at Selene? Did you run away from the fight?" He teased, grinning.

"Henry let me go."

"That was his mistake, 'cause we won't," Mikhail said.

"Pipe down, everyone. This is my fight alone." Vance said.

"He's right, so stay out of it."

"Hey!" He barked, "They're my men, not yours."

"You're right, so let's fight. Just one on one, me and you. A fight to the death. Whoever wins, gets to be Crown Lord of Leona."

Everyone looked at him, anticipating an answer. Vance took a deep breath in and out.

"I accept."

People gasped.

"Van, you can't. He's much stronger than you." Bruce said.

"And older," Will argued.

"Also wiser," Richie continued, without thinking about it.

"I dunno about that, son." Wentworth joked.

"What's your weapon of choice? Mine is my sword, Hickins." Billy swung it in the air to show it off. Then resting it on his shoulder.

"Take mine, danna." Bruce attempted to give him his katana. His husband refused.

"This," Vance said, holding his hands out. Then, in a flash, flame sprouted from his palms. Not even harming him.

"Not even a proper weapon."

"This is a proper weapon. But an untalented Destituian." He jabbed, in reference to his lack of pyro powers. A Destituian is what someone would call a magic-born that has little to no abilities themselves.

He grew angry at the insult and did the first strike. Which he dodged.

The fight has officially started and everyone was uneasy about Vance. Especially Bruce, who tried to give him aid.