Chapter 10

"Ah, Lord Smith!" Billy Hargrove said to the man who just walked in. While he was reviewing strategy with his father. The man himself was dark-haired with curly hair. And very tall. He had a teenage girl with him. Also dark-haired and clearly frightened.

"Neil!" He yelled, blood vessels were about to burst from his forehead. "My family is dead!"

Neil looked up and then at his son. Both of their blue eyes widened in horror and confusion.

"What?"

"My wife, all of my kids, even my heir Mason!"

"Was anyone spared?" Billy asked.

"Only Mason's betrothed here."

"Kaylanne Kennedy." She said meekly. Presumably from what she just saw,

"Matty's cousin? What kind of person wouldn't kill the fiancée? That's too big of a risk to even leave her alive."

"Did you see anything that might give us clues?"

"Only a grey cloak. That covered his face. I ran away when Mason was knocked down."

"Smart girl. So the killer didn't spare you exactly. Did they pursue you?"

"I thought they did. But when I looked back, I couldn't see anyone behind me at all."

"So they didn't pursue you either? Strange, I was them I would've gone after her too. She could've seen something that gave away his identity."

"I didn't, and I'm not protecting them either."

"I don't know what we did to piss off that monster. Because they just annihilated my entire bloodline. I'm the last survivor!"

"Even your siblings?"

He fervently nodded his head.

"Grandparents, cousins, bastard children?"

"Yes, to all of those! I'm only here because I was out on an errand."

Neil and Billy solemnly looked at each other.

"This has to be payback for what we did to the Crown Prince."

"I told you it was a risky move! Messing with the fucking Royal family. The King and Queen survived the war for a reason."

"Your son's got a point. This was definitely an ally of the Solarians."

"That could be anyone! There are not that many who support Billy's claim. We've only ambushed others, we haven't fought any battles-"

"Calm, Martin. We will get to the bottom of this. And we will do the same thing back."

"I hope we do, this is not eye for an eye. This is practically head for an eye."

"Let's go back to the scene. Kaylanne, you will stay here in the meantime. We don't know if the killer won't go after you."

"Thank you, my lord."

She left with Martin and one of the servants led them to their separate chambers. Neil went with them. And Billy was left alone with his thoughts.

He looked at the side of the wooden table. Grazing over what was carved into it: "BH + HL = <3" He smiled, thinking of fond memories of a simpler time. When he was so young, so in love. It was too bad that even the fates disapproved of their union. Oh, what star-crossed lovers they were....

He would often trace over these initials in rough times. Times where nothing was for certain. Like this war. Would all these sacrifices mean something in the end? Will this bloodshed really help bring in a golden era for his family?

Maybe if Henry was here, he would be able to finally make the right decisions. Now that he thought about it, he didn't really want any of this. This was his father's dream, not his. His dream was to reunite with Henry and elope with him. Maybe run away to Bountiful and just be farmers. That kind of hardworking life would be worth it if it was with him.

He could hear his sweet voice even now. In his mind's eye, he saw the tides rolling against the beach. Meeting for a time, then being pulled away. Much like them, only together temporarily to be pulled away by duty and marriage. It was a warm night with a full moon. And the plentiful stars accompanying it. Their blood was that of the old King Stellor. Blessed by the very cosmos itself. They, too, were like the moon and stars. Henry was bright and beautiful like moonlight. Only overshadowed by the royal sun. But Billy was just one of the many stars in the sky who admired his beauty. One of many admirers. His brightness could never compare to that of his old lover.

He was so caught up in his own emotions that he thought about doing foolish things. What if he could...just take Henry and run away? March on Selene Hedge and in the midst of the chaos, neither of them would ever be seen again. His little cousin could have Leona for all he cares. He wants Henry, and only him. If he and his father had it their way: he would be Crown Prince and he would marry him. Then he remembered his actual husband: Steve. That slimy, two-timing son of a bitch that he was forced to wed. His father should've just found someone else. Granted, he would have no idea unfaithful Steve would be. But still, he should've let him wed Nancy and found another for him.

But if both Steve and Anthony were to somehow 'disappear' he would be free to wed Henry as he liked. Or they could marry in the tradition of the old tribes. The ones that Stellor was born of. Which don't answer to gods or men.

But would he still take him like this? He's committed multiple atrocities. The Leona Massacre, the Betrayal of the Blakes...who would marry him after that?

No, you are the heir of the Hargroves. You can do whatever you like. If he resists at first, you'll make him love you again. It won't be too hard to rekindle that old flame. No matter how many whispers say he's moved on with Anthony...you'll make him forget his name. And remember yours. And once your father is king, he can annul your marriage to Steve. Unless he's already dead. Same thing with Anthony & Henry.

You will get the happiness you deserve. Especially when your father has ruined your life by marrying you off and starting a war.