What Nightmares Are Made Of

By JackODiamonds

Arabella was labelled as a delinquent, kept in a boarding school "for her own good." Then, everything changed... More

Chapter 1: Big Bang
Chapter 2: Principle, Principal
Chapter 3: Nightmares
Chapter 4: Kidnapped
Chapter 5: Summer's Heat
Chapter 6: Blood, Pain and Screams
Chapter 7: A Light Finally Shed on a Hard Subject
Chapter 8: Light Shall Shine Through Her
Chapter 9: Escapees
Chapter 10: Friend or Foe?
Chapter 11: Royal Advisors...Are Annoying!
Chapter 12: Last Dying Wish
Chapter 13: A Little Wine Can Go A Long Way
Chapter 14: Cold, Inconsiderate Winter
Chapter 15: Dark Indulgence
Chapter 16: Dark Cravings
Chapter 17: Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Tangled
Chapter 19: Frozen Darkness
Chapter 20: The Feast
Chapter 21: All Hail The Queen
Chapter 22: Teasing Guards
Chapter 23: Deals With The Devil
Chapter 25: Only Stories
Chapter 26: History Will Be Made
Chapter 27: Battle Scars
Chapter 28: Peace At Last

Chapter 24: Battle Plans

83 4 8
By JackODiamonds

I am terribly sorry for not updating sooner. I completely forgot what day it was yesterday, mainly because I wasn't feeling the best and didn't go to school (it also happened to be cross country day) and I was catching up on all of my TV.

As for today... I was going to update this morning, but I had to tutor and babysit our neighbour so I couldn't, really sorry but I'm updating now!

Today I am dedicating this chapter to all of my silent readers. I have a few and I wish to thank them for voting because without them, I wouldn't have the ratings that I do, so thank you. I would, but new Wattpad isn't letting me, but we all know who it's dedicated to anyway.

Chapter 24: Battle Plans

"How, and I mean how, did you know all about Kieran?" Reigner asked as we trekked back to the Light Palace.

"I'm right here," Kieran said pointedly. He had joined us on our way, sending his people off to war without him. They happily went because many of them wanted to sink their hands into someone's gut or be drenched in blood. Faeries, honestly.

Reigner rolled her eyes as Kila giggled, "Elves were never subtle when it comes to expressing opinion."

"Don't you mean never subtle, in general," Desmond asked, grinning happily as Reigner glared at him.

We all laughed, besides Reigner of course.

"And I explained myself before," I replied to Reigner's question, leading us into silence for a little while.

"I have a question," Kieran said, making us all turn to look at him expectantly. "Wasn't Desmond your advisor, not your guard?"

"I don't really understand it either," Kila agreed as I slowly turned bright red. I would've hid behind my hair, but it was tied up! Reigner giggled as Desmond also turned bright red.

"You two should know, well, you at least Kieran," Reigner grinned.

Kila furrowed her brows in confusion, but it didn't take Kieran long. His smile was slow and it had understanding in it, along with a hint of arrogance. "I see," Was all he said.

"Oh shut it Mr. Arrogance," I snapped, making my horse go faster.

Desmond was quick to catch up to me, Reigner and the others following, all wearing bright grins.

"You should know, it is actually kind of adorable, and the best plan of action, he will protect you the most," Kieran said.

"Speaking of protection, where are your guards?" I asked, choosing to ignore their teasing.

"I am King of Summer, I do not need guards," He replied, making himself glow brighter with arrogance.

I rolled my eyes, "That's the exact reason why you do need them."

"Let me guess, they ditched you?" Reigner said, trying really hard to hide her excitement at the chance to annoy him.

"No, I just thought that my guards needed to be with my people, that and you have guards, so I'm safe," He replied, giving up the act.

"Just because we're guards, doesn't mean that we'll protect you," Desmond said lowly.

Kieran looked offended, but it didn't last long as we finally arrived at the palace, where Caterine was waiting for us. The look of relief on her face made me smile, she truly did care, and the look of surprise on her face when she saw Kieran was priceless.

"Did you not think that we would do it?" I asked as I got down off of my horse.

"I always had faith in you; I'm just surprised he decided to join us now. He is aware of Queen Alexia?" Caterine asked.

"Oh contraire, she is actually the reason I decided to come. It's always fun to annoy your opposite," Kieran grinned mischievously.

"There's the Summer King I remember," Alexia said as she walked out, her one guard flanking her.

"There's the Winter Queen I remember in all her glory," Kieran replied back with a teasing wink.

"Oh boy," I whispered under my breath. This was going to be something.

-

"Now, no teasing or arguing, we need to figure out our best plan of action," Caterine said as we each seated ourselves at the table.

Caterine was across from me with Alexia on my right, and Kieran on my left, meaning that they were also facing each other. Desmond, Reigner and Alexia's frost guard stood by the door, watching us. Kila was out for a walk in the garden, this wasn't a matter she needed to attend.

"I would never do such a thing when it comes to a serious matter such as this," Kieran said as he made himself comfortable by putting his feet on the table.

Alexia laughed without humour. "You're just like the rest of the Summer Fey, only arrogance in that thick skull of yours."

Kieran narrowed his eyes at her and Alexia narrowed her eyes at him, soon they were in a huge glaring contest. Caterine was not happy.

"Guys, please. We need to figure this out, mainly because I know nothing about war, I switched off during history, so all I know is that you attack each other and hope for the best," I said, bringing the attention to me.

Kieran rolled his eyes while Alexia sighed. "We're sorry, but the last time we were in the same room together I was still human," Alexia said, glaring daggers at Kieran.

"And that was hardly my fault, I was only a prince at the time," Kieran defended.

"In other words, I meant 'enough'," I clarified as Caterine's eye began to twitch.

It was quiet for a moment or two as they slowly realised that this definitely wasn't the time to bring out a feud that has been going on since the dawn of time.

"We are better off to begin the war how it started all of those years ago, a standoff in the 'Field of Poppies'," Alexia said, staring down at the map in sadness.

"'The Field of Poppies'?" I asked. I had no idea what she was talking about.

"The unofficial name for it, the real name for it is the 'Aldred Meadow.' It was named the 'Field of Poppies' because it is bathed in blood and faeries who loved the mortal world said that it is what you name such a place. I believe you have a place like that concerning a war," Kieran replied and I looked down in sorrow because I did listen during that history lesson. "It is bathed in blood because that was the place that your father was slaughtered," Kieran finished, deciding to inspect his nails instead of look at me in the face when I looked up, desperate to know more. They were all avoiding my gaze, even Caterine.

"You mean the field full of snow? But doesn't it have a lot of trees?" I asked again, I really had no idea what place they were talking about.

Caterine sighed, finally speaking, "No, not since your father died and you disappeared. All we know is that he was murdered and a bright white light appeared, burning so hot that the trees burned to nothing, and you disappeared as well. Thaleam got away because he hid in the shadows, and it wasn't until years later that we all discovered that you still existed."

I looked up at them all as realisation dawned on me. It made so much sense now. "That's why I don't remember much, she wanted me to be protected as much as possible, wiping my memory as much as she could," I mumbled.

"What do you mean? Who wiped your memory?" Caterine asked, the others looking at me curiously as well.

"My mother, she's the reason why I'm still alive."

-

"Oh-Kay, so your mother saved you, sent you to the mortal realm, and then died... And now we're about to go off to war..." Kieran slurred, trailing off each time he mumbled something. "If only we had more wine..."

Alexia rolled her eyes, but it was ruined as she hiccupped. Kila giggled and Reigner slumped in her chair as Desmond tripped over the rug on the floor, almost spilling an entire bottle of wine. The frost guard even lounged on a chair after telling us his name was 'Jude,' short for 'Judanquin.' I was really amazed at all of the weird names I kept on hearing, and it seemed only the humans came up with decent names.

They were all drunk besides me who decided to have only one glass. Caterine wasn't with us, instead she was in her room somewhere in the castle. I suspected that it had something to do with that guard I saw her with at my coronation.

"So, Arabella, what is the human realm like?" Kieran slurred, finally deciding on a topic.

"It's Ella," Reigner corrected and they all burst out laughing for no real reason.

"A lot different to here, well, except for the drunks, they seem to be the same," I replied, making them start laughing again.

Desmond pulled me closer to him after he had dragged himself off the floor. He smelled of wine and pine. I tried not to snort out a laugh at that.

Then something occurred to me, I didn't know some of the relationship customs here. "In the faery realm, what are the relationships like?" I asked, making Desmond stiffen.

Kieran cleared his throat before he replied, "You can marry whomever you wish, unless you are a monarch or are next to royalty."

"If your family is powerful then it is almost normal that your parents choose your husband or wife, but sometimes they make exceptions," Reigner continued, taking another sip.

"Unless you are royalty. Why do you think Kieran and I are unmarried? There is next to no one for us to marry, unless you wish to marry into another court, effectively flipping the balance and ruining the realm's chance at survival. To have heirs you either turn a mortal or have bastard children, it's as simple as that," Alexia hummed, drinking an entire glass of wine, probably wallowing in her misery. I can see it now, Jude doesn't just hang around her, she hangs around him. Their relationship isn't one sided, it's just doomed from the beginning.

I looked at Desmond as I said, "Are we not allowed to marry commoners?"

"Only commoners marry commoners, and only royals marry royals," Jude replied for the others and Desmond looked away in sadness.

"Although, there is the off chance that a marriage strengthens your court, like how mine and Kieran's was supposed to strengthen Summer, but that only happens when the commoner is of high power," Kila offered, but it didn't do anything to ease the tension that was slowly building up.

Desmond put his glass down and left the room, making me look at the others in desperation. "There must be something," I whispered.

"If all courts agree to outlaw it, then it will be done, but that also means having Dark's permission, and that's never going to happen," Alexia whispered back, just as sad.

Then it dawned on me. "Then there's a chance!"

"Did you not hear her? You need Dark's permission, and they're dark," Reigner stated like it was obvious, but she was missing the point.

"Currently Thaleam is in charge, but if we kill him, Altain becomes king, and he'll side with us!" I jumped up happily, a smile on my face.

"That's never going to happen," Jude said and everyone agreed.

"Oh yeah? Then why did Altain beg me to spare his people and just kill his father if he wouldn't side with us?" I grinned.

Everyone's eyes widened and Kieran stood up as he yelled, "Altain's with us!?"

I nodded, "Yes, I thought Caterine told you this; he told me that he wanted to restore Dark to their former glory and be at peace with the rest of the realm, that's kinda how I got out."

"Then we must change our plans! If he's on our side then there's an easier way to win this war!" Alexia shouted and she stumbled out of the room with Jude on her heels; heading to the battle plan room, or whatever you call it.

Kieran followed quickly after, with Kila running to get Caterine.

"Are you coming Ella?" Reigner said as she stopped at the door for me.

I looked behind me to the door that Desmond had disappeared through. I looked back to Reigner and she gave me an understanding smile.

"I'll be there soon," I said and she only nodded as she followed after the others.

I took a deep breath and followed Desmond.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 1.5K 48
(This is the sequel to a story already finished on my profile) In between her new school and getting Percy into college, Annabeth is back for another...
7.3K 138 41
Arias abusive mom is no help to arias life. Her rich dad takes care of her only in the summer but gives her everything she wants. Junior year Ethan a...
9.3K 333 15
Arabella Black never expected to get married. She was the youngest in the family. A girl forgoten by many. Everything changes when her father makes a...
252 112 28
"Peace is all she wants, power shall Fate grants." ××× Elvira Rosetta Castemont, a fallen princess, witnessed her parent's tragic death. Throughout...