It All Started With a Diary

Od leshae051304

I anticipated every breath, and every word. Each day, you could only take an uneducated guess at what he woul... Viac

my mistake
cry baby
clumsy kimberly
spatula beating
monster
dove
eggs
date
defending the enemy
eavesdropping
emma
fairy tale
aching feet
nosiness
ruining a moment
surprise
swingsets
you expect more, you get less
bumping heads
gummies
netflix junkie
fuel
the moon and the sun
steak
soggy pizza
the past|part 1
the past|part 2
beautiful girl
postponed|part 1
postponed|part 2
lies
done
maybe|part 1
maybe|part 2
fighting it|part 1
fighting it|part 2
fighting it|part 3
fighting it|part 4
fighting it|part 5
seen
answers
here
again
offer
retaliation|part 1
retaliation|part 2
retaliation|part 3
retaliation|part 4
thankful
silent punishment
broken
understand
antique
us
tough girl
light
run away
truth|part 1
truth|part 2
boyfriend-girlfriend
okay
olaf
presentation
fighters
lion
13
calm
you
dry
perfect
fine
ariel
butterflies
one
knees
anything
cupcake
burrito
holly jolly
snow
yours
wybie
craft
sleep
talk
listen
exchange
angel
dead
stuffed
rose
to remember
rue
woe
triste
family
time
good
fight
race
earn
goodbye
mine
notes
effort
rain
skywrite
living
loving
epilogue
sequel

annabeth

4.4K 182 16
Od leshae051304

Enjoy 🤍!

"Don't let the past steal your present." - Cherralea Morgen.

————————————————————

Chapter 75
<—————————————>

My dad offered a kind smile as he rounded the kitchen table. Just in case, I craned my neck to make sure he was alone. I had questions for him, and for him only.

"I didn't hear you come in, baby. How was the vacation?" he questioned, pulling a chair out. Once he was situated, he frowned as he examined me over. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes," I rushed out a little too quickly before I told myself to calm down. These were just questions, not a death sentence. "Yes, everything's fine."

It didn't seem to settle his suspicions, but he nodded, anyway. I wanted to blurt out everything, but I couldn't. All I wanted were answers.

"Dad," I started out. "Can I ask you something?"

He chuckled at me. "If you ask to open your presents before everyone is awake, the answer is no." Even though I was gone on Christmas Day, they all waited until I came home to open presents. Dad was even dressed in festive clothing to add to the Christmas spirit.

I feigned a laugh. "No, no, it's not that." I paused to consider my options. I could either ease into it or just go for it.

Fuck it.

My hands fell to my knees for leverage. "Dad...how do you know Kade? I mean...before he and I met."

By the flicker of recognition in his eyes, I knew that he realized. He realized that I knew everything.

Dad cleared his throat then leaned further back into his chair. "Kade told you?"

I nodded. "He did. About both of you." I motioned toward the hallway, where my brother was still asleep.

"Well," dad sighed, his fingers trailing through his hair. "I never wanted you to know that side of me, but now you do." His attention fell to me, again. "Do you think any differently of me?"

I frowned, shaking my head quickly at the shame in his tone. Even though it came as a shock, I never once discarded the love he had given me over the years. His past didn't change that.

At my response, his shoulders loosened with relief. "Good," he let out a nervous chuckle. "Well...what do you want to know?"

I recovered all of the questions I'd been building, but instead focused on my main one for now. "How did you get involved?"

He nodded as if he expected it. "Well... I started when I was around Kade's age. I made really good money off of it; I was young, stupid, and angry at my old man. I needed to let that anger out without getting arrested." He waved a hand over his bedroom, where Teresa was. "When I found out Teresa was pregnant with Ryland, I was a young guy who still wanted to keep that lifestyle. It was stupid of me, of course but the past is already set in stone. Then, I found out about you. Even though the circumstances weren't right, I tried to quit, but still needed money for you and your brother. So, I decided to indirectly be involved."

Before I could throw another question at him, he continued on.

"I met Kade after he beat the shit out of your brother," dad chuckled, running a hand down his face as he shook his head. "You should have seen Ryland. That boy had a head as big as a rock at that age, but he was my son."

"So, I went to go find the little punk, but when I did, all I found was a kid walking alone in the rain, no jacket or anything. I offered him a ride, and a job at the cages, and that was that. The kid had it hard at home, and was so angry. I didn't even know he was Susie's until a while later."

"Did you know he told me to go and fuck myself? Even pulled a knife on me," he chuckled as he reminisced over the memory. "Honestly, he reminded me so much of what you were going through as well as my younger self. I didn't want to give up on the boy, so I gave him as much sanctuary as I could against his pops. It worked for a while...but then all that shit went down."

My dad shook his head, eyes darkening with rage. I knew it was hard since he'd grown up with Susie. "I'm glad as hell that bastard William won't see another day of freedom, though. He put the both of them through enough." I nodded in agreement.

My dad read my mind as he glanced me over. "You can ask me anything else you want, baby. That part of my past isn't my proudest, but it happened, and that's that. I can't change it now."

I felt like there was more to ask, but I wasn't expecting his full honesty so now that I had it, I was speechless. He was right, it already happened.

"For what it's worth," he added. "I think you two make a fine match."

His lips lifted into a smile. "Susie and I used to converse over the possibilities if you two met the right way when you were children. We were even planning to introduce you as babies before everything happened." He chuckled, again. "Fate's one crazy son of a bitch, huh?"

I felt my shoulders drop with relief as I nodded. He was still the man I knew in the present. My father. "Sure is."

***

After opening presents, we all sat, and ate dinner. I told them bits and pieces of the trip, and I didn't miss the side comments and scoffs from Ryland. I endured it, though.

Just as I was heading to my bedroom to work on my college applications, I felt my phone vibrate. It was Griff, with a picture attached of a very squishy baby.

I smiled at it before another text came in. He wanted me to visit the hospital to get a look for myself. I hurriedly replied in agreement. After catching a shower, and a change of clothes, I was ready.

"Bye!" I yelled out as I sped past my dad and Teresa, who were cuddling on the sofa. I barely heard their responses before I was rushing to the car.

Since Kade was busy training, I was on my own. I knew that hospitals made him uncomfortable anyway, so it was fine.

A thin thread of me still held concern over the threat of Chivo, though. Ever since the game, I hadn't felt unsafe. There were no more instances to set me off other than my mother, but that was it. Perhaps he called everything off since the fight date was close.

I shook the thoughts away. In a couple of days, the cages and everything that came with them would just be a memory. I was just overthinking.

Besides, nothing could ruin seeing my supposed goddaughter.

By the time I reached the hospital, the traffic was light. The parking lot was scattered with cars that were fading due to the time.

As badly as I wanted to admire the sunset, I didn't have time. Hurriedly, I locked the car then made my way inside the hospital.

Since Griff already texted the room number, I headed straight there on the elevator. Once I saw the baby tags hanging from the door, my grin stretched wide with excitement.

I stepped inside, shutting the door behind me softly. The room was fairly quiet other than the babys' coos.

I nearly cried tears of joy as I stepped toward Shay, who was smiling appreciatively at her creation. She looked as beautiful as ever, brown skin smooth and without makeup, with her braids in a bun atop her head.

Dylan and Celeste were here, as well. They were wrapped in one anothers' arms, observing over the baby.

I smiled a hello at them before turning to Shay. "She's so beautiful," I whispered as I admired the baby. And, it was true. Her skin was light brown, with a head full of black curls, and dark eyes. "Have you decided on a name yet?"

Shay attempted to shift herself into a comfortable position before Griff rushed forward to help her. Then she rolled her eyes with a collective glare before answering, "Annabeth." Everyone in the room erupted into fits of laughter as Griff grinned with pride.

I held the baby until it was time for her feeding.  I didn't want to let her go after I had her, honestly. Everything she did earned a response of awe from all of us before her and Shay drifted off to sleep.

Celeste shifted on the uncomfortable couch to face me. "Baby," she started, attempting a smile. "Let me talk to you in the hallway real quick."

I nodded with skepticism before standing. Our last discussion was about my mother, but I hoped and begged that this wouldn't be the same. My uncle stayed behind to talk to Griff, who was still boasting about the naming of their daughter.

Celeste looked as if she'd eaten cardboard. I eyed her carefully before I saw it. Another white envelope. I wasn't sure I wanted anymore of those from her anymore, honestly.

"Well," she paused to shove the envelope into my hand. "Do you want me to rip the bandaid off?"

I nodded with a sigh. I shouldn't have expected anything else. "Might as well get it over with."

"Your mother came back to the diner," she rushed out, her chest deflating with each word.

"What?" that very word was all I could give as I zeroed in on her.

Celeste raised her hands then motioned toward the envelope. "It was just after you left. She told me to give it to you. She wanted me to beg you to read it, to hear her out."

My brows shot up. "To hear her out?" I couldn't find any type of conversation starter that a mother would have when it came to her daughter that she tortured.

"I was going to rip it up, give the bitch no other thought but that wasn't my choice. I knew it wasn't my place," she explained. "She said that she wouldn't be back, though. I have no idea what's in that letter, but, she wants your attention for some reason."

"That's just her," I spat with disgust, eyeing the letter. I wanted to rip it right here, burn it and smoke the ashes. But, I didn't.

For some reason, I didn't.

I raised my eyes to Celeste, who was watching me warily. "Thank you," I managed a smile, falling into her embrace. "I'm sorry for putting all of this on you."

Her fruity scent clouded my senses as she kissed my cheek. "Don't you dare, baby. Just say the word, and if she comes around again, we can tag team the bitch. Griff got her good with the oil this time."

I nodded with a tiring laugh. Everything seemed to drain me at the mention of my mother.

I told Celeste, as well as the others goodbye before leaving in a hurry. If I was right, Kade should be leaving, and heading back to town by now. I needed his grounding right now more than ever.

On the walk, on the elevator, even outside of my car, my mind was consumed with this weightless paper in my hand. I hated it.

My fingers edged the corners to rip it, but I couldn't will myself to go through with it. Something was preventing me from just ridding of the damn thing, of her. It wasn't fair.

I could decide later. I shoved the letter inside of the pocket of my jacket until I could gather what to do with it.

With a sigh, I searched my bag for the keys.

Just as my fingers grasped the cold metal of my keys, I heard it.

Subtle, but there. Footsteps.

My heartbeat jerked from its restraints I jerked around, but before I could grasp the danger, I was down with an ache to my head.

Dark spots danced across my vision as I tried to lift myself to gather my surroundings, but just as I managed to shift, I felt something slam onto my head, again. There was nothing I could do. My vision shrunk until darkness was all that I knew.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

2M 53.5K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...
After the Ink [PUBLISHED] Od Brianna

Tínedžerská beletria

6.5M 149K 38
PUBLISHED! Now available on Amazon! [Disclaimer: due to copyright reasons, chapters have been taken down. The full book can only be accessed through...
575K 13.2K 85
[COMPLETED] {Wattys 2017} "Why does a bad boy like you want a good girl like me?" I asked. "Because, no other boy could treat you right like me" he...
Everything Changes Od Upallnight19

Tínedžerská beletria

2.5K 301 32
Aria had a simple life, she had her friends, her brother, and her parents. At the time she thought life couldn't get any better; minus the guy she wa...