Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

Galing kay Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... Higit pa

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Lynian
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Gliding Monkeys
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Fídisuchian
Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Skýlosávra
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Urban Wildlife

97 5 0
Galing kay Landiahazak

Ever since humans began building their own habitats, many species have been forced out of their native homes. For those who stay, they find themselves in environments that are riddled with danger. Vehicles, fences, litter, bright lights, domestic animals, and humans are just some of the many obstacles these creatures need to deal with. Because of this, we tend to think that cities are only populated by ourselves and our pets; however, this couldn't be further from the truth.

All over the world, many species have adapted to take advantage of these new environments with some doing even better in this new world than they did in the wilderness. These city slickers have not only managed to accommodate to civilization but thrive in what's arguably one of the most hostile habitat on the planet.

Some of the most notable examples of animals adapting to concrete jungles are pigeons, Corvids, raccoons, squirrels, rats, and cockroaches; however, civilizations can also harbor some other and more unique species. Creatures such as peregrine falcons, macaques, northern water snakes, and even wild boards call these places home.

Suidaes in particular have been able to thrive in these man-made habitats, to the point where they've actually become pests in some places. Although all species tend to do well around rural areas, Sus barbari has taken this conquest of civilization to another level.

Also know as Bullfangos, woolley boars, and long tusked boars, these fearsome hogs from northern Eurasia may at first seem like any other pigs, but there's much more to them than meets the eye. Typically standing at a meter in height and 1.4 in length, these animals are in fact relics from the ice age.

The most obvious sign of this frosty origin is their fur. Bullfangos have noticeably thicker hair than their relatives, an adaptation that serves them well during cold winters. In addition to this, their coats also provide them with some protection against predators such as the Siberian tiger; however, the osteoderms that line the species' back are more effective in that regard.

Another feature that evolved due to the last glacial maximum is the animals' 25 centimeter long tusks. Although great for many different purposes, including self-defense, goring weak animals which become prey to them, fighting between males, and digging through soil for food, these elongated incisors alao act as snowplows, allowing them to easily move through deep snow by tossing it aside, something even wild boars struggle with. With such useful tools at their disposal, it makes sense that Bullfangos would be so successful. Yet there are other factors which make these hogs as common as they are.

Just like other suidaes, Bullfango diet consists of just about anything they can get their jaws around. For these boars, anything is on the menu: plants, fruits, small animals, carcasses, nuts, and even human foods; however, by far their favorite is mushrooms which they can easily sniff out thanks to their amazing sense of smell. Unfortunately for those who find the beloved fungi, they rarely get the chance to eat them in peace because of the pack.

Bullfangos may form packs to protect each other from danger, but when it comes to high quality foods, any sense of companionship is immediately lost as everyone tries to get the meal. However, any infighting between members is immediately snuffed out once the herd's Bulldrome arrives.

Standing 1.4 meters tall and 1.8 long, these adult males are the tallest of all suidaes and leaders of their pack. In other species, this role is usually reserved for the mother of the herd; however, this isn't the case for Bullfangos who have a setup that's more akin to some Primates.

The job of Bulldromes is to act as the pack's primary protector, using their powerful body and huge tusks which never stop growing to fend off attackers. Because of this important role, the alpha males are usually capable of taking food from their subordinates with little to no resistance, as the smaller hogs know that they have a better chance of survival if the guardians are healthy; however, if an individual doesn't submit, the larger Bullfangos won't hesitate to put them back in their place.

Bulldromes are especially harsh to other males who don't listen to them, usually injuring them, or chasing them away from the group, as this could be interpreted as a challenge for leadership. This is a very real threat to the current leaders' rule. If they loose, they'll be exiled and forced to fend for themselves, something that's much more dangerous when alone. Despite being capable fighters, the alphas still need their pack for backup.

In addition to this, Bullfangos have terrible eyesight, so they need others to keep watch for threats. This danger is even greater for males, as they need to continuously wear down their tusks in order to keep them at a manageable length. This usually means their heads are down or next to an object, severely hindering their chances of spotting danger.

However, once humans began building cities, exiled males found themselves in areas where their predators didn't dare enter. By using both their unexpected intelligence to learn what to avoid and their modified incisors to carve their own paths, Bullfangos quickly figured out how to traverse the concrete jungles.

These hogs became so successful in populated areas that eventually entire packs started moving in. One of the best documented example of these mass migrations is the 1912 boar invasion of Novosibirsk where the streets of the city were overran by Bullfangos. Even after a city-wide hunt, estimates suggest that people only managed to kill a sixth of the total population. Needless to say, Novosibirsk is to this day still home to thousands of Bullfangos.

Since it is nearly impossible to dislodge these least concerned species once they've established themselves, the best we can do is learn to coexist with them. So despite how tempting it may be to go after the packs that have been ruining your gardens, tearing up the lawn, rummaging through the garbage, or devouring your crops, it's better to leave them alone and call animal control to take care of the hogs, otherwise you may be injured if they think you're a threat. By being careful when driving, tolerating their presence, and letting the professionals deal with boars, we can make cities safe for both ourselves and these Bullfangos.

======================================

While Bullfangos ended up willingly moving into cities, this isn't the case for all city slickers. Sometimes when we construct our artificial habitats, there are some animals that simply can't migrate to different locations.

When this happens, there are two possible outcomes for the animals. The first is that they just die, but the second possibility is that these species adapt to these new environments. The latter case is what happened to the Carcharolycopsar annatothalassa when the shores and rivers they inhabit were surrounded by cities like Puerto Montt in Chile.

Also known as Gajaus or sawback catfish, these fishes are the largest members of the Loricariidae family, able to grow between 1.6 and 2.3 meters in length. Some are even bigger with the current title holder being a 2.9 meter long male called Gran Aleta. Although it's not unusual for catfish to reach large size, these goliaths dwarf their relatives which typically grow between 2.5 and 61 centimeters in length.

Thanks to these enormous sizes and ability to survive in both fresh and salt water, the massive catfish have taken the role of apex predator in the area. Gajau diet consists of small to medium size Mammals and Birds, Fish, Mollusks, and even young seals and sea lions; however, once humans arrived, stray dogs and cats quickly became prey for these giants.

When hunting, Gajaus will lay their dorsal fins against their body and remain motionless to avoid giving away their position. As they stay still, they use their whisker-like barbels to detect motion and objects in the water around them, enabling them to paint a picture of their surroundings and navigate them without the need for sight.

The barbels of these animals are so sensitive that they can identify the size of objects just by the volume of water being displaced, as well as the location of these entities. If this wasn't impressive enough, Gajau whiskers, just like the rest of their body, are covered in taste buds, making it possible for them to discover the identity, proximity, and quality of something through the compounds that are being emitted.

Once the Gajaus are sure that what they've detected is food, they'll wait for the opportune moment to strike. When attacking, they'll use their powerful tail to launch themselves at prey, slamming into them and locking their jaws around the target. Thanks to their large, shark-like teeth, once Gajaus grab a hold of their prey, it's hard for the target to escape due to how deep the fangs can go and the shocking jaw strength. Usually, the catfish's meals are small enough that they can easily overpower them and drag them into the water, if not just swallow them on the spot; however, if the victims are stronger than they seem, the hunters have another ability to help them come out on top.

Similarly to some other fish species, the pectoral fins of these creatures are surprisingly strong and capable of working like primitive arms. By digging their fins into the ground, these predators can prevent themselves from being dragged around. In addition to this, the Gajaus' pelvic fins have also gained strength and mobility, adding to their stability on land.

Besides allowing them to tussle around with struggling prey, Gajau fins have another unorthodox use. Like a few other fish species, these catfish are amphibious, meaning they can survive both in and out of water, and thanks to their flippers, these animals can move around surprisingly well on land.

Just like any other fish, Gajaus breathe through their gills which absorbs dissolved oxygen from water; however when they're out of the liquid, these organs collapse making them useless. Luckily for these animals, their stomach is packed with blood vessels, allowing them to swallow air and breathe via its lining, a trait they share with many of their relatives. This ability has helped these animals survive the expansion of civilization by letting them escape polluted waters and travel to more habitable areas. In addition to this, Gajaus can reliably find these desirable sources thanks to their barbels, meaning they rarely die from asphyxiation; however this journey is no cakewalk.

While Gajaus may have very few predators in the water, they become vulnerable once they climb onto land. Dehydration, jagged surfaces, terrestrial hunters, and vehicles all pose threats to these animals. Yet despite the many casualties, the adaptability and abilities of these catfish have ensured that they're firmly anchored in the least concerned category. However, just because they're doing well doesn't mean we can't help them. By looking out for them while driving both on land and water, not littering, not impeding their progress on land, and creating protected areas to diminish the chances of them having to deal with human threats, you can do your part in helping Gajaus thrive.

======================================

Adaptability is one of the most important trait needed to make it in cities; however, there's another thing that is necessary: intelligence. While a good amount of rural animals have this, few are able to utilize it to its fullest degree because of either their body plan, or other abilities that diminish the need to use complex thoughts.

But sometimes, there are those who have the right combination of features to allow them to unlock their full potential. Raccoons, Corvids and monkeys are usually the ones we recall when it comes to mastery of the cities through intellect; however, Rostroviruptor kulukus is without a doubt one of the most intelligent, successful, and oddly charismatic animal to have conquered civilization.

Standing 1.3 meters tall and 3 meters long, these animals, typically called Kulu-Ya-Kus, can be found from South Africa all the way to eastern India, giving them the widest range of any Neoraptor. This amazing success comes from the specie's adaptability and intelligence which allow them to thrive in some of the most inhospitable and competitive climates on Earth.

One of the major reason why they're so successful has to do with their meal preference. As omnivores, Kulu-Ya-Ku diet consists of just about anything they can find; however, there main food source comes from eggs, making up to 77 percent of what they eat in some populations that are then considered ovivores.

Because of this generalist approach, Kulu-Ya-Kus don't really have to compete with other species. However, just being an omnivore isn't enough, as these animals need the right tools to exploit a variety of resources. Luckily for these Neoraptors, they have plenty of features to help them with that.

Kulu-Ya-Ku beaks are best designed for busting through egg shells, allowing them access to the yoke inside which they then lap up with their tongue; however, their bill can also make for a dangerous weapon capable of bludgeoning and ripping open small animals, or gently picking fruits and seeds from bushes and the ground. But this appendage has other uses besides obtaining food. Although Kulu-Ya-Kus can quickly deploy their bill to protect themselves in a fight, they can also use them to find buried objects. The beak of these animals are filled with nerves, making the appendage very sensitive to temperature and touch. By planting this tool into the ground, the Theropods can locate things like eggs, burrows and tunnels, and most importantly for them: rocks.

The species may be armed with a powerful beak and deceptively dangerous hand and toe claws, but ultimately they have very few offensive options when forced to fight, preferring to simply flee. However, it's when they're cornered that their intelligence truly shines. Kulu-Ya-Kus have been known to dig and pick up rocks, and use them as shields or hammers in combat. What makes this behavior so impressive is that Kulu-Ya-Kus aren't random with what they grab, they purposefully select large rocks for this task, showing an understanding that the objects' size and properties are important, and that just because something is similar, doesn't mean it'll work in the exact same way. This has been proven many times before in multiple experiments, with the Theropods always selecting the right items to solve the puzzles based on their properties, even though some of the tools would be completely alien to them.

Of course, this knowledge wouldn't be very efficient if Kulu-Ya-Kus couldn't use the tools effectively, but luckily for these animals, their fingers are long and dexterous, allowing them to elegantly manipulate objects. Each digit has a grooved protrusion at the tip, giving the animals a better grip on the items they're holding by expanding the amount of surface contact. Another reason tool use is possible for them is because of the Theropods' pectoral muscles which are surprisingly strong, capable of easily lifting around heavy things.

All of these features are especially important for the Neoraptors when taking care of their young. Unlike most Theropods, Kulu-Ya-Kus don't build nests. Instead the females will lay two scarlet eggs on the ground before each parent picks one up and walks away with it. Over the next three weeks, the mother and father will take care of their designated egg, constantly staying on the move to keep them safe from predators, and not eating until the young hatch. This fasting period is hard on the adults, since they have to fight the need to feed on their unborn chick. To remind the parents of the capsules' importance, the shell is scarlet, making it very different from other eggs; however sometimes, the Theropods won't be able to resist and will eat their own babies.

Luckily for most hatchlings, the parents are able to last the three weeks; however the adults' job is far from over. For three years, the chicks won't leave their mother's or father's side as they're taught everything they need to know, like navigating and knowing every inch of their territory, what nests contains the best loot, and which tools are needed to solve problems.

This devotion is especially useful now where the intelligence of these animals have allowed them to thrive in cities. Much to the frustration of people, Kulu-Ya-Kus don't stop at rummaging through trash, as they've been able to figure out how to open doors and windows, allowing them now to break into houses, and ransack the place as they search for food. Not even fences which are usually huge obstacles for terrestrial animals can stop them. Thanks to their powerful legs, the Neoraptors have no problem leaping over the barricades. And even if they're too tall to jump over, the species' agility and fully rotatable wrists makes climbing them a piece of cake.

Yet they have also learned that despite not having to worry about predators, cities can still dangerous. Because of this they've evolved behaviors such as looking before crossing roads, avoiding areas with high human activity, knowing when it's a good time to come out, and even figuring out which houses are best to avoid.

However, likely the most notable change in their behavior, is how Kulu-Ya-Kus interact with people. Instead of fleeing, some individuals will ask for handouts, with each having its own unique way of winning the favor of humans. If they aren't capable of doing that then they'll typically leave; however, if their target acts hostile towards them, the Neoraptors have been known to come back and take their revenge in occasionally hilarious ways.

With their gigantic range, adaptability, generalist lifestyle, and high intelligence, it's no surprise that Kulu-Ya-Kus are in the least concerned category; however, even these clever creatures can't always sneak their way of danger. Vehicles and poisons are the number one threat for these Theropods in the city, so if you want to make the lives of these animals just a little easier, simple changes to your behavior, such as driving safely and not using pesticides and poison pellets can help these creatures greatly.

======================================

Animals visiting human settlements isn't anything new, in fact, this has been going on for thousands of years; however, very few have been doing this for as long as Caninds. From as far back as prehistory, our species has had to deal with this family, and this would eventually become a good thing, as it gave rise to our best friend: the dog.

However, while Canis familiaris is the most beloved of all canidae, it isn't the only domesticated member of this family. Around 3000 years ago in Japan, Canis equus came upon human civilization, and just like what happened to the wolves on the mainland, people eventually formed a relationship with these creatures.

(Canyne in traditional Palamute hunting outfit.)

Commonly known as Canynes, these 2 meter long and 1.2 meter tall animals haven't changed much since thier domestication, retaining their thin but powerful bodies, and wolf-like heads. However, in more recent times, minor features like coloration, patterns, and the shapes of the ears and tail have been selectively breeded into them.

Besides being helpful allies for hunting and protection, one of the biggest reason for the domestication of Canynes is their versatility. Unlike dogs which have been bred over generations to specific features and abilities, these hounds were already the perfect combination of speed, strength, and intelligence.

Due to their large size, powerful bodies, and great speed, Canynes quickly became the perfect mounts for people, allowing them to cover longer distances over shorter periods of time. Although mainly used for traveling, as the Caninds could double as pack animals, riding was also used during hunts, as the swift beasts could carry their rider to prey in any terrain. In addition to this, the species' amazing sense of smell and hearing made sure that it would be hard for prey to go unnoticed by the hunting party. Sometimes the hunters didn't have to make the kill, letting the hounds finish off the targets with their fangs.

Eventually, people built weapons specifically made for hunting with Canynes, or Palamutes, to help during the hunt. The tools would ultimately be seen during the many battles that took place in Feudal Japan, with many warriors bringing their fateful companions with them. This wouldn't be the last time they'd see war. Time and time again they would be used in times of crisis to help, whether in the offensive or defensive positions.

However Canynes aren't just used for their physical capabilities, many people, both past and present, like them for their companionship, intelligence, and loyalty, making the domesticated subspecies, Canis equus familiaris, both good house pets and working animals. But not all of these Caninds are so tamed, there are still plenty of wild packs roaming the archipelago.

Although not as common as they once were, these wild Canynes are still doing very well as generalist hunters. Acting similarly to wolves, these animals can be seen working as well organized packs capable of taking down a prey that's much larger than themselves. However, ancient records suggest that they may have originally been small game specialists, and only recently took on this new role following the extinction of the Japanese and Hokkaido wolves that were subspecies of the grey wolf. This seems accurate, as they are known to feed on frogs, lizards, rodents, and snakes. Because of this preference for small animals, it's not unusual to see wild Canynes in or near settlements, taking advantage of the abundance of prey, and occasionally unguarded food and trash. Despite being a bit of a nuisance at times, most people don't treat them differently from their domestic counterparts.

Unsurprisingly, Canynes are in the least concerned category, but while the domesticated subspecies already have our protection, their wild counterparts aren't as fortunate. Because they're used to life in forests and mountains, untamed Canynes risk being overwhelmed by everything that's going on, and may get injured because of it if they end up venturing to far into civilization.

However, you can help these animals find their way home. If you see individuals who seem to be lost, disorientated, are trying to stay away from people, or are agitated, call animal control and make sure everyone gives the animal some space, both for the safety of bystanders and the Canind. By remembering this, you can make sure that all Canynes, wild or tamed, have the support of humans.

======================================

When we think of urban wildlife, we tend to think of vertebrates like ourselves; however, invertebrates also fit in this category. Due to their drastically different appearances and generally small stature, we usually don't notice or care about them, despite probably being the most common creatures in cities.

Although most of us don't notice the millions of invertebrates that crawl, scuttle, and fly around us everyday, there are times when they demand our attention. Usually this involves them breaking into our homes, and just being a nuisance to us; however when it comes to Aureumperatrix moventatuae, these Temnocerans have managed to make their presence known through very different ways.

More commonly known as Ahtal-Kas, females can grow to be 6 centimeter in length and height, while males are considerably smaller, only 3 centimeter long and 4 tall. This may seem enormous to us, but this is actually one of the smaller Titanocimex species.

Despite being very small compared to other Titanocimexes, these mantis-like Temnocerans are ironically one of the deadliest hunters. Across North Africa, the Mediterranean, and Canary Islands, these animals are known to feed on invertebrates, lizards, small Mammals and Birds, snakes, and even each other, with females being especially notorious cannibals. In fact, the only way females can shed their brown shell is by eating the golden males, and stealing their colorful pigmentation, though how this happens is still unclear.

The reason why females cannibalize males is to increase their chance of survival. Although yellow isn't the best color for reflecting heat, it's still better than brown, so by becoming golden, Ahtal-Kas can better withstand the scorching sun, though they still need to find shade in order not to overheat.

The brighter colors also make these Temnocerans look bigger than they really are especially when they spread out their arms, potentially frightening away predators. To raise the chances of success, they can produce foul smelling pheromones. But if this tactic doesn't work, these animals can always fight back. Ahtal-Ka claws may be small, but they're surprisingly sharp and can be unleashed in an instant, making them shockingly effective weapons.

Besides being surprisingly useful for the Invertebrates' survival, Ahtal-Kas's colors and designs may have been the inspiration for ancient Egyptian sarcophagi's appearance, as both share a number of similarities. In fact, the Titanocimexes appear a lot in the art and stories of the time and place, further solidifying the connection. However, Ahtal-Kas might not have inspired these people in just creative ways. When looking at the process of mummification, this too may have come from the invertebrates.

As Temnocerans, these false mantises have the ability to produce sticky strands of string similarly to spiders. Just like their bodies, Ahtal-Ka silk is golden, but very fine, making it very easy to accidentally walk into it, and this is exactly what the Titanocimexes are hoping. Since they're much too obvious to actively hunt prey, these animals will use their silk to build a dome, acting as an inviting place to rest in the shade; however, as soon as something enters the trap, they quickly get tangled in the web. Once their prey is trapped, the Ahtal-Kas will wrap them up entirely, then use their hooked claws to pull out the insides of their prey, since they lack any venom to dissolve their meals from within.

As if this clever strategy wasn't enough, these animals have been known to use stray objects to beat their victims into submission if they're having a hard time cocooning them; however, this isn't their most impressive feats of ingenuity. Sometimes people may find a truly bizarre sign. At first they may mistake it for a living creature, but when they get closer what they find is one of the most extreme constructs in the world.

Nicknamed the Empress's Throne, these statues are made from whatever the Ahtal-Kas can find and held together by their silk. These strange nests are actually fully functional, and can be piloted like a mech by the owners; however, the Temnocerans use them more as a base of operations rather than a mode of transportation. By pulling on specific threads, Ahtal-Kas can make their mechs do simple movements to fend off large threats, making them deceptively formidable opponents. However, these machines are far from being a danger to humans as they're usually only a third of a meter tall.

But in recent years, these nests have become more ambitious. Due to litter being thrown away without thinking, the Empress's Thrones have been getting bigger as the Temnocerans gather up the discarded trash and add them to their constructs. Rocks, sticks, and bones are now being replaced with metal, plastic, and paper which could have unexpected consequences. Although Ahtal-Kas aren't bothered by this trash, with them being in the least concerned category and now using cities as a perfect area to build their mechs, if they pilot their machines into the wild, when the scrap puppets inevitably fall apart, this spreads garbage to different locations. This problem is hardly the fault of the Ahtal-Kas, as they're only doing what comes naturally to them. The real threat is that they're getting access to these potentially harmful objects.

If you want to do your part in stopping litter from spreading, doing things like recycling what you can, and not littering, and picking up stray garbage can help. And if you want to aid the amazing and clever Ahtal-Kas, simply letting them go about their lives unhindered is the best thing you can do.

======================================

Cities may have been made specifically for humans, but they aren't just for them. All over the world, animals of every shape and size have managed to adapt to civilization, and in some cases, even thrive in the concrete jungles.

Tough, smart, and more than happy to eat anything, Bullfangos are without a doubt some of the most successful and rowdy city slickers out there. Lead by Bulldromes and capable of bashing their way through obstacles, these hogs may have to deal with many dangers, but they aren't going away anytime soon.

From water to land, the Gajaus aren't bound to one place, and this is what makes them successful. Even with the threat of being flattened or hunted on land, these catfish continue to thrive in their homes, no matter the challenges.

Crafty and charismatic, Kulu-Ya-Kus may be bandits, but it's hard to not be impressed by their adaptability. Whether in the wilderness or cities, the intelligence of these Neoraptors has proven that brains can be better than brawn.

Once a visitor, now a permanent resident, the Canynes may not be human's best friend, but they're still beloved. Wild or domestic, these hounds have definitely adapted well to city life.

Small but intelligent, Ahtal-Kas don't just survive, they thrive in cities. Using our own objects to their advantage, these Temnocerans are truly the empresses of civilizations.

We may think that cities are only populated by people, but these artificial habitats are home to thousands of species. No matter what challenges the concrete jungles may dish out, nature always manages to overcome them.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

659 35 12
I'm back with a new book. This time I'm going to show you the many amazing, frightening and sometimes downright strange species that were lost to tim...
97.3K 2.4K 59
what would happen if monster hunters very own crimson comet crash landed in the Barbarick archipelago? find out in this story!!! (None of the humans...
50.9K 2.7K 51
"I felt a twinge in my stomach. Ain't no fucking way. I go back to google. "Creature with light beams for eyes" I click on a link that says: "Top 10...
58 1 10
[Hiatus, but will continue] A long time ago the world was peaceful and full of many different creatures. These creatures where dragons, rocs, pheoni...