War of the Hares

By hallofhiiragi

The House of Hargrove is having a struggle with its heirs. Crown Lady Nicole Hargrove has passed and left beh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Epilogue

Chapter 6

30 1 3
By hallofhiiragi

"So, I guess we're up next, huh?" Bruce said to Vance as they started to get ready.

He groaned, "I wanna go back to bed."

He laughed, "I do too, baby. Don't worry."

"When does it even start?"

"At twilight."

"That's so far away, can't we just sleep until then?"

"Her Majesty has been very kind to host our wedding here, in the palace! We should help them prepare."

"I guess when you put it like that, you have a point." He grumbled.

"Don't worry, we'll get plenty of time to sleep tonight."

"I don't want to just sleep though! You said we could make out with each other on the wedding night. If we're loud enough, everyone else will think we've consummated it!"

Just the frank tone was enough to make Bruce burst into laughter.

"What?"

"You're just funny, Vanny. That's all."

...

Bruce walked down the aisle with his father, wearing his house's cloak. Which was green with mountains and a yellow, rising run depicted on it. Wearing a cream-white tunic underneath. Vance wore a raven-black tunic with a blue cloak. His long hair was done in a half-up inner braid style.

(Their version of a half-up French braid)

He looked absolutely stunning in Bruce's opinion. Vance thought the same of him and smiled at him brightly with only his lips.

He and Vance stood side by side. Thomas took off his son's green cloak and let Vance put the blue one on him. It had a grey hare on it. Which complemented his cream-colored tunic.

"Your Majesty, Your Highnesses, Your Graces, my lords, my ladies; We gather here in the sight of men and the Eternal Eight. To witness the union of two men to become husbands."

He then got out a ribbon while the two held hands. He wrapped it around them.
"Two souls, two hearts, two bodies, bound into one. Now and forever."

"May the Eight bless and protect this union until the end of their days. And may they be reunited in the afterlife. Now look upon one another and say the words."

They said them at the same time. "Lyria, Harpius, Queen Lyria, Thalna, Maris, Menvera, Quirinus, Turan, Leinth. I am his, and he is mine. From this day until the end of my days. With this kiss, I pledge my love and loyalty to you."

Vance practically jumped into his arms. Kissing him deeply. Bruce instinctually put his hands on his waists. The people clapped. Yet another love match.

Once they were done, Vance turned to the crowd and held up Bruce's hand. Even the moon would envy the smiles worn on both of their faces.

...

"Oh, Lord and Lady Holland! It's good to see you guys." Vance greeted the old couple. Both with dark and short hair. He had a moustache and was stout. She was more slender with some curls in her locks. He was sitting at the front table in the very middle with Bruce on his right. And his family (Yamadas) on that side. They wore green clothing since it was their main color. On the remaining left was the royal family. Who was his only present kin as the Solarians were a cadet branch of the Stellarians, his ancestors. Billy was on Vance's other side. His husband Robin, was next to him. The couple wore red while Billy's family wore orange.

"You have our condolences on what happened to your daughter," Billy said, remembering the massacre.

The two looked very sad and almost regretful.

"Thank you, Your Highness. We just regret not having any more children. Our Barbara was incredibly lonely as a child."

"I understand, have you yet talked with Lord Hargrove here about succession?"

Vance looked at him, irritated. Not wanting to do official business on his special day.

"Ahem, Billy!"

"What? This is the only opportunity you'll get to see them and talk about this. It's very important for a leader like yourself."

He grits his teeth in annoyance. But then turned and smiled at the couple.

"My cousins, the Carvers, will be taking on Grand Parterre, naturally. As the last Belroses."

"Awfully terrible what happened to Lord Nicolas. I can't imagine how his lady-wife and son are feeling right now. Speaking of which, I'm surprised they're not here."

"I haven't seen them since the massacre. I just put them as the next Belroses in case they were even alive."

"Oh, you poor thing," Lady Holland said, "Having your family kill each other at such a sacred occasion, tsk tsk tsk. Just know we support you. And whatever choice of family you have to succeed us when we both die will be one we also support either way."

Vance nodded and smiled as they left.

Then a family of three, a couple and a boy around Vance's age.

"Lord Cameron, it's good to see you again." Thomas shook his hand.

"You two haven't seen each other since you were kids." Martha, Lady Yamada, said. Referencing Bruce and Crown Lord Cameron.

"Yeah, we haven't, have we, Ward?" Bruce smiled and looked at him.

But seeing him even be friendly to a handsome guy their age like Ward... (Who had brown hair in the midpart and blue eyes) Was enough to spark jealousy in Vance. Who scowled at him. Which intimidated the family and made them leave in a rush.

"Well, we better get going."

Martha couldn't help but laugh to herself as she saw Vance's jealousy overcome him. But also try to contain it at the same time.

"What was that for, Vance?" Bruce asked him angrily.

"Because I-"

"Hi!" A teenage girl with curled, light brown hair and blue eyes waved. She was with the actual House of Carver. Jason's cousins from his grandmother's side.

"Ah, Carol, right?" Vance asked, clearly flustered from before.

"Yeah, Crown Lady Perkins. My family's a vassal to you guys."

"We remember quite well," Thomas smiled.

"We are awfully sorry about what happened to your grandparents. And that your own family is betraying you, the rightful heir." One of the Carvers said.

"Thank you for your support. I'll need all the help I can get."

"Why do you think he's marrying into our family?" Amy Yamada said.

"It's the other way around, sweetheart."

"What? Why's he staying with us then?"

"Because it's not safe for me to be back home. Bruce will be coming home with me when the war's over. Why do you think he was walking down the aisle?" He explained to her.

"Oh, it seems it's time for the dance."

Bruce cursed in his head.

"We'll be okay, Bruce. No one would dare to make fun of a Leon on his wedding day." Vance reassured him. His hand was on his arm.

Bruce smiled, "You're right, Van."

They took to the floor. Swords sheathed in their belts. They took them out. They circled around each other.

This wasn't a duel, no, but another symbolic dance. Vance's sword shined with almost magic. Azazelian Steel is a magical rarity only those with the blood of demons in their veins can wield. Its handle was golden with sapphires embedded. It was also the same one Lucenyra used to kill her twin brother, the corrupt King Aethan. A miracle the royal family still had it. Translated from 'Briseur de Lignée' as Bloodbreaker. Meanwhile, Bruce's was an old sword from Yamato, his ancestral homeland. Its handle had tough, green fabric in a diamond pattern. The handguard was silver. And was called Kusakariki in his family's tongue.

Their swords first met near the ground. They clinked once. Then they kept together until the middle, where they clinked again. Then at the top, they clinked for the final time.

The last part of this dance was to sheath each other's swords on their belts. Then coming together to meet in an actual dance. Vance put his hand on Bruce's shoulder, while he put his on his waist. The swords were meant to symbolize the fact that they would protect each other. But wouldn't fight. Dancing the Waltz step in Gimlé represents romance or marriage half of the time.

Both wore the blue cloaks of the Hargroves. But with a grey hare plastered on it. Which was blue because of their secret pyro power. But not even that fire can come close to the love they had for each other.

...

"I'm exhausted," Bruce almost immediately flopped onto their bed. Which had light green sheets.

Vance laughed as he sat on the bed. Undressing, "Same here."

"Why were you so jealous of Ward earlier?"

Vance groaned, looking upwards.

"Because he's young, handsome-"

"And who's the one getting married to me, huh?" Bruce retorted.

Vance looked down and said quietly, "You."

"You, Vance. You, not Ward fucking Cameron. That guy is as straight as one can be."

He laughed and smiled. Which warmed the other boy's heart.

They hung the cloaks and swords up.

"Would making out help prove my loyalty to you and you only?" Bruce put his face in his hands.

Vance smiled, looking him up and down. Putting his hands on Bruce's wrists, "Yeah."

So he kissed him, more deeply than he had the rest of the night. Bruce got on top of him before Vance stopped him.

"What is it?"

"I want you to undo my braid," he said before turning around. Sitting on the bed. It was an inner, half-up braid. A hairstyle from the Belrose culture. Bruce untied the blue ribbon in his hair. Then parted the crinkly strands. After he did so, he put his blond hair to the side and kissed the part between his neck and shoulder. Making him tingle.

They spent the rest of the night kissing each other. When their lips weren't together, they were giggling to themselves. Wrapped up in their own love, like it was from a fairytale.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 4.4K 14
Dylan Hargrove: the grungy, angsty, jaded younger brother of ever-so infamous dickhead Billy Hargrove. Has the hotness, genetics and appeal that coul...
16K 359 13
•Short story for the one, and only Billy Hargrove. • There's a new kid in town. You only really know because he almost hit you with his Camaro. Immed...
3.2K 60 27
Billy Hargrove takes his stepsister and runs to keep her safe from his abusive father after her mother disappears under mysterious circumstances. Whe...
24.3K 876 50
Returning to Nottingham after 11 years away, Roana of Locksley is keen to reconnect with her older brother, Robin. But he has been outlawed, reinvent...