Darth Vader: Hero of Naboo

By TheArinek

The Force often works in strange ways. That was never truer when Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker, found him... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 29

1.8K 63 9
By TheArinek

Things were not going well for Nute Gunray.

Darth Sidious hadn't made contact with him recently, nor was he answering any of Gunray's own attempts. And that was the problem.

"I thought I told you! All communication from outside Naboo is supposed to be cut off for the time being!" Gunray reminded sternly.

"We have, Sir, we have," Captain Daultay Dofine answered via a hologram. "Some of our officers have found ways to pick up transmissions. Personal relays or hacking the transmitter. They are scared and wanting to know what is going on."

Gunray blustered to himself. "We should have just brought droids for this operation," he muttered.

Dofine watched him carefully. "Sir, there is talk of some disaster on Coruscant-"

"I have no desire to converse of these conspiracy theories!" Gunray denied forcefully.

Dofine paused, letting the director calm himself some. "I only wanted to know if Lott Dod is still well."

Gunray paused. Yes, that was an important question. Did they still have their representative in the Senate to manipulate things to the Trade Federation's desire? "I have received no word from him. I am sure there is a senate session currently in progress."

"Of course, Viceroy," Dofine accepted neutrally. "I will do my best to end all attempts to break the communication blackout."

With that, the hologram flickered off.

"This cannot continue forever."

Gunray leveled his ire on Rune Haako, his right hand in this mess. "Obviously. If too many hear that a disaster has befallen Coruscant, our officers may begin to question why we're bothering to hold this blockade."

Rune tilted his head. "We both know that's not why you're really taking these measures."

Gunray stiffened, practically shriveling into himself a bit. There were moments when he forgot that Rune was fully aware that they were working with Darth Sidious, a Sith Lord, and all the plots that were intertwined with such a person. "Are you any more willing to risk his wrath?" he countered in a cold voice. Not of anger, but of fear.

His fellow Neimoidian shared his expression and shook his head. "No, no I am not. If he's alive."

Gunray all but leered at him now. "Do you really believe a fluke storm would be enough to do in someone like that? No, Sidious is alive," he insisted, for he could not believe that man was truly dead. He had felt the Sith's power, felt the man reach across time and space to strangle his throat when they first conversed. He had seen Sidious's schemes come to fruition, leading to the Neimoidians monopolizing control of the Trade Federation, with Gunray himself as its leader.

No, Sidious was too skilled a schemer to be dead now.

"If he has abandoned us to rot then?" Rune countered. "The previous administration didn't exactly have a peaceful end."

Yes, the Eriadu Summit. How Gunray found himself leading the Trade Federation. He had no idea what was going to happen at that time, but finding all rivals to his power removed made it obvious who was truly behind that little incident. "He has complete control of the Trade Federation through us," Gunray countered. "Replacing us would gain him nothing."

"Sir, I know it is not something you wish to entertain, but have you considered that this was his objective?" Rune stated with a worried tone. At Gunray's confused look, he elaborated. "That this has been all nothing more than a ploy to destroy the Trade Federation from the inside?"

"...No, no, that couldn't be true," Gunray said, almost sounding unconvinced himself. "Enough of this. We shall continue to wait for a message from Sidious, or until we receive the queen."

Rune didn't object to that, despite looking disappointed.

"In the meantime, we must deal with more present concerns," Gunray shifted the topic. "How goes the situation with these Gungans?"

"I met with a messenger in the fields outside their swamps," Rune explained, accepting the change in subject. "They have no desire to fight us for the time. They have a great distaste for the Naboo. I think us not being humans actually made them more receptive to our terms."

Gunray nodded in understanding. Humans were the most populous species in the galaxy, with many near-humans subspecies. Just as there was a sense of human-centrism among the race, there was some wariness about humans in general among the other races of the stars. Something that the Trade Federation had exploited on several occasions.

"And what was said, exactly?" Gunray pressed.

"They are primitive, but they are not unaware. They know, to some extent, what us taking possession of the planet would mean for their swamps," Rune stated. "They found it agreeable to aid us against the resistance, and in securing the Queen if she should return. If they are promised assistance in relocating to one of Naboo's moon, Ohma-D'um."

"Hmm. We have no interest in Naboo's moons. That would be a cheap price to pay towards ending this debacle," Gunray mused, nodding to himself.

"Are you certain, Viceroy? We may find valuable resources on that moon," Rune reminded carefully.

"Yes, but a moon will much be easier to deal with than an entire planet," Gunray all but spat out. "Just see it done, Rune."

Rune stepped back a bit before nodding in acceptance. "As you say, Viceroy."

Gunray grumbled to himself in displeasure as he sat on the throne of Naboo, the room empty save a group of B1 Battle Droids and three Droidikas, his own personal protection.

He may bluster and complain, but he knew perfectly well why he had brought along other living officers besides himself and Rune: he had been afraid. Afraid that, with only droids, it would be easy, too easy for all blame of any failure to fall on him. Not just blame from Sidious, but the Trade Federation turning on him was a true concern. Rune would not speak in his defense, he knew. All Rune had to do was let him fall and the Trade Federation could find itself with Rune as the new Viceroy.

But with others as part of this operation, it made shifting blame a viable plan if this occupation failed completely. In theory at least.

Still, while he didn't have the same doubts as Rune, he was troubled by resent events. Surveillance recordings from the time of the Queen's escape showed an unknown party had aided the Queen to freedom. It was like a Jedi, but dark clad and wielding a red lightsaber. A color more commonly associated with the Sith, with Sidious's order, than with any of the Jedi.

Oh yes, he knew of the Sith, even before contact with Sidious. Many of the wealthiest Neimoidian families retained histories and records that the Jedi were never able to wipe out. For the Neimoidians were a fearful race, and his ancestors believed that such things should not be forgotten, lest they sneak up on them when they least expect it. Neimoidia, amazingly, had been spared of much tragedy from the ancient wars of the Sith against the Republic and Jedi.

Yet now, it would appear that there might be another element at play, a rival striking at Sidious. The thought made Gunray shiver. This new Sith had been in the same building as him the day the queen escaped. If the Sith deigned to, Gunray imaged he could have easily freed the Queen while himself and Rune were with her, slaying them both. A terrifying thought. Not to mention the number of defeated battle droids, along with two AATs destroyed.

But that was not enough to make Nute Gunray fear this new enemy more than Sidious. For the Sith Lord that Gunray knew had dispatched his own servant to hunt down the queen.

That meeting was still fresh in his mind...

Flashback

"What has happened, Gunray?"

Gunray made a successful effort not to cower before the cold displeasure in Darth Sidious's tone. Himself and Rune were seated at a conference table aboard their flagship, with Sidious attending via a hologram. But Gunray knew very well that the vast distance between stars would not keep him safe from Sidious's ire.

"My Lord, the Queen has vanished," Gunray answered, bowing his head in apology. "A Naboo cruiser got past the blockade."

The Dark Lord didn't even bother to ask if the treaty was signed. They both knew if it was, Gunray would have leapt forth to assure Sidious of that boon. "Vanished, or set free?" Sidious asked sharply.

Gunray felt his skin crawling in fear. It was like Sidious already knew what the Viceroy had to report. "The feed of the incident shows that there is an unknown party. A black figure with a mask. I would assume him to be another Jedi, but-"

"A red lightsaber, no doubt," Sidious interrupted with a sneer.

Gunray nodded slowly, feeling his throat clenching as he struggled to find words to voice his questions and his concerns. "I fear that...this foe, and the Jedi, may be beyond the power of our droids, even if we could locate them."

Sidious paused, and it was a horrible silence that Gunray found himself in, before Sidious did something truly terrifying. He smirked, as if amused. "So, the Jedi live? How interesting."

Gunray knew that the Sith Lord was still quite wrathful. But that information at least distracted him.

"The queen will be returned, and the treaty signed," Sidious said with finality, as another figure appeared in the hologram. A cloaked zabrak. "My apprentice, Darth Maul, will deal with this...interloper."

With those ominous words, Sidious grew silent as his hologram faded...

Flashback End

Gunray had long known that Sidious had a...secret agent, of sorts. An assassin that would deal with matters that threatened his plans with brutal efficiency. That had been made abundantly clear with the deaths of Hath Monchar and Mahwi Lihnn.

There were only three in Gunray's inner circle, three Neimoidians that knew of the dealings with the Sith. Two were Rune and Dofine. The third had been Hath, his deputy Viceroy, and the only one foolish or greedy enough to betray them and attempt to sell secrets of their plans for Naboo. Naturally, Gunray attempted to keep this matter under wraps by having the traitor silenced by a reliable bounty hunter, a human female name Mahwi.

Both had been killed, and Sidious had more or less confirmed that it was done by his own means. Gunray took it as a good sign that he learned this assassin's identity without a death sentence on himself.

All the more reason why Gunray was not quick to betray the Dark Lord, or doubt his power. If he could have Monchar dealt with, without a single lead or hint to go on, what hope did Gunray have against the long arm of Sidious? The man had great sway over the Senate. A place wherein they had been able to bribe or stall their way to success many times, but how easily could the Sith Lord turn that against them? Even that terrified Gunray; that the Sith Lord might abandon them, turn the corruption of the republic against them in full, and leave them without a leg to stand on. For who would believe cowardly, sleazy Neimoidians when they croak out tales of a mighty Sith Lord forcing their hands to work for him? A man whose identity Gunray didn't know, and so would have one more reason not to be believed.

No, no, Gunray ran a hand over the molted skin of his forehead, and calmed himself.

More likely, this enemy of Sidious had caused some minor problems on Coruscant, something that would keep Sidious and his agents from contacting Naboo. Gunray just had to wait, just had to finish putting this planet into submission, making the post-treaty works easier.

Not to mention, the planet itself was an insurance of sorts. Given the character of the Queen, he had no doubt that the suffering of her people would eventually bring her back here. Even without the Sith Lord's intervention, it was all but guaranteed that the Senate would be of little help to Queen Amidala. So, what else could she do, but return here?

And, on the bright side, Naboo was not a hard planet to hold. Its population was relatively small, just over a billion humans. Most of their cities were more built around aesthetics than defenses. They had no standing army, favoring diplomacy over all else, and their people were peaceful enough that a police force and guards were all that were needed to handle the enforcement of laws

If not for the billions of Gungans lurking in the swamps and waters, Gunray would have seen the sheer amount of droids he brought to the planet as excessive. But he was willing to make deals with them if it meant making this situation easier.

He shook his head, realizing he was thinking in circles now. That was the problem with being a Neimoidian; with nothing to do, and nothing he could do in a stressful situation, his anxieties and paranoia could truly consume him.

What he wouldn't give for some delicious Mulch mold right now.

"Viceroy."

Nute Gunray turned his attention to the entrance, finding a b1-battledroid entering. That was...interesting. There were only a few reasons why a droid might be reporting to him instead of Rune. "Yes, what is it?" he demanded with a frown.

"We have captured a member of the resistance," the battle droid answered.

"And?" Nute all but spat. "Just put him with the others."

"He says he has information about the resistance, and the queen," the battle droid elaborated, Nute half-way leaping from his seat from that news alone. "He states that he desires to make a deal."

Gunray smirked. "Bring him to me," he ordered, getting a salute before the droid left. It could be a lie, he knew, some fool trying to con his way into getting out of imprisonment, but if it was true? "May my problems be at an end," he murmured.

Minutes later, a human was walked into the room, being escorted by three droids. The man's hands were restrained in front of him. He looked fairly normal to Gunray, for a human. But then, most humans looked similar to most Neimoidians.

"Greetings," Gunray said with thinly veiled insincerity as he rose from his seat, hands clasped behind his back. "I am Nute Gunray, and you would be...?"

"Tor Zastall, Viceroy," the human answered neutrally. "I wish to make a deal."

"So I was told, Tor Zastall," Gunray rebutted firmly as he eyed the human. Faces might be bland, but Gunray rarely forgot a name. "Tell me what this information is, and I will consider this deal."

"The location of the Queen, and the resistance hideouts you still haven't found," Tor answered honestly. "In exchange, I want the safe return of my sister, and safe passage off Naboo."

That was it? Aptitudes for diplomacy and haggling clearly were not always related. "That can be arranged. If this information is true."

Tor smirked, just a small bit. "I had a projector on me, your droid here took it," he said, nodding to the tactical droid. "It'll show you a map to everyone, except the queen. Obviously I kept that one to myself. Would you like to see, as a...faith payment?"

Gunray was almost amused. This Tor Zastall might be horrible at bargaining, but he was shrewd enough to not give away the prize without insurance. "Droids, the device? Is it as he says?" Gunray ordered.

"Yes, sir. It appears to be just an ordinary hologram projector," the droid answered, holding up the circular device. "It has no explosive functions we can see."

Good. The droids weren't always the smartest of AIs, but certain precautions were inbuilt. "Activate it," Gunray ordered from across the room. Just in case.

The droid obeyed, a blue image shimmering to life, prompting Gunray to cautiously approach. "Sir, this location is unknown," the droid stated as it observed the information.

"Where is this, Tor Zastall?" Gunray asked with a frown as he peered at the display, finding it peculiar.

"Some place called Mos Espa," Tor answered neutrally.

"Hmm. I was not aware that Naboo possessed any deserts," Gunray remarked, stroking his chin in thought.

*Kuuuuuuh Kerrr*

The ominous breathing gave the Viceroy only an instant of warning before the image flickered, replaced by a dark figure.

"It does not, Nute Gunray," Darth Vader said pointedly.

Nute Gunray stepped back in shock, glaring briefly at the rather smug Tor Zastall before addressing the Sith Lord. "I suppose you are the one I am truly negotiating with, Darth...?"

"Vader," the Sith Lord answered, his voice making the room colder even from a great distance. "And I am not here to barter with the likes of you."

"Than what is this? Some blusterous threat?" Gunray challenged.

"An offer. One that I would not give if this were my decision alone to make," Vader stated condescendingly.

Gunray was about to question just whose decision it was to make before the Sith Lord stood to the side, disappearing as another figure took his place.

One that wasn't hard to identify in her ornate clothing: The Queen of Naboo.

"Ahh, Queen Amidala. I don't suppose that you are here to sign the treaty?" Gunray asked with hollow pleasantries.

"Viceroy Nute Gunray of the Trade Federation," the queen addressed formally. "In spite of your many crimes against my planet, I am here to offer you a chance to surrender and leave Naboo unharmed. If you refuse, we will end this occupation by force."

"How bold of you to assume you could manage such a thing," Gunray spat, but eyed her pointedly. "But if you believe you could best our droids, why make such an offer?"

"It has come to my attention that we have both been played by and become victims of another power," she said sternly, staring pointedly at the neimoidian. "Darth Sidious."

Gunray could feel himself paling, his lungs working rapidly in response to his growing fear. "I fear that your life may be forfeit, knowing that name," Gunray warned in honest sympathy. Killing the queen was not unappealing, but the mercies of Sidious was not a fate he'd wish on just anyone.

"You may have been right, in another time," she responded, tone softening ever so slightly. "Viceroy, Darth Sidious is dead."

"And how would you know that? Did your own Sith claim to have killed him?" Gunray asked, not believing it still.

"You would know if you had not blocked your communications," the Queen stated simply. "I do not believe you understand the extent of the treachery involved in this."

"Just how do you imagine that?" Gunray questioned with a frown.

"Darth Sidious was Sheev Palpatine."

Gunray stilled. That was preposterous. The senator of Naboo, aiding them against his own planet? And yet...Gunray's mind wandered. Palpatine had a very average career at best as a senator. He knew, because he had asked Lott Dod for information on the man before this operation had begun. He flew very under the radar and had only gained his position after...the death of his predecessor.

Palpatine was about the same age and size to be Sidious, and being the senator meant he'd be on Coruscant and thus not at risk during the occupation. The man would have the perfect cover to hide all his secret connections.

But still, selling out his own planet? Gunray would consider doing it for less, but Neimoidians had little to no love for Neimoidia. Humans were often overly attached to their birth worlds if anything. Yet it certainly fit what he knew of Sidious, little as that was.

However...

"Your offer is too poor, Queen Amidala," Gunray stated with a glare. "If Darth Sidious is alive, death will be the least I fear for betraying him. But if he is dead?" he paused, clenching his fist. "If that is true, then I have invested far too much in this operation to end now. And my only recourse would be to ensure that you sign this treaty."

"Viceroy-!"

"If you refuse, it will be your people that suffer," Gunray promised. "If I must burn Theed to the ground to do so, then so be it."

There was a brief silence, the queen's eyes wide in shock. "Does your greed know no bounds, Nute Gunray?"

Gunray refused to answer that.

"If that is your answer, then very well. This matter will be settled by less civilized means," the Queen stated in finality before stepping away.

Darth Vader reappeared, and it took all Gunray had not to flinch. Even without seeing his face, it was obvious that he had just earned this entity's ire. He stared, waiting for the Sith to say or do something, anything that would disrupt that nerve-wracking breathing.

"Unlike the Queen, Gunray, I will take great joy in this. Just as I did in killing your master," Vader promised ominously.

The hologram flickered away, leaving the room in silence.

"I refuse to believe it," Gunray muttered to himself.

"Reality doesn't care if you believe it."

He turned his glare to Tor Zastall, who was still rather smug. "There is a saying among some cultures: Don't shoot the messenger," Gunray said pointedly. "Is there any reason I should honor that sentiment?"

"Oh, I know you will," Tor said with a smirk. "After all, if you kill me, you can't try and force the information out of me."

Gunray felt like he might bloat and implode with rage. "Take him away! Secure him with the other prisoners!" he ordered.

"Yes, Sir!" the droid answered, nodding to the other droids who turned to lead the human away. The tactical droid remained, however, holding up the projector. "But what should I do with this?"

"Forget about that!" Gunray snapped, slapping it out of the droids hand. "Just go! Leave me in peace!"

"Yes, Sir, but I have also just received an urgent report," the B1 droid informed.

Gunray sighed heavily, almost dreading this. "What now?"

"The Settlement Officer has returned. He is badly wounded and receiving medical treatment."

Gunray stopped, feeling his body grow numb as he failed to process that news. "Rune was injured?" he repeated hesitantly.

The droid nodded dutifully. "Yes, Sir. It appears that he was attacked by the primitives."

Gunray felt ice and rage in himself all at once. Rune would throw him under the speeder, but he would be the last Neimoidian to do so. And that meant something among their kind, where friend meant least-likely to betray. "Mobilize the droids! Ready them to be deployed near the swamp! If these creatures wish for violence, we shall generously trade our own with them!"

"Yes, Sir!" the droid saluted.

Gunray seethed to himself, pondering not for the first time when everything went so wrong.

Meanwhile

"We shall generously trade our own with them!"

"Gunray has taken the bait," Vader answered, pocketing the device as they stared out at the edge of the swamp, gazing over the field where the battle will take place.

"Making a projector function as an audial receiver even when it's turned off. Clever," Padme acknowledged, wearing her less restrictive clothing. "Do you think there was ever a chance that Gunray would have taken that offer?"

"If so, he would have sued for peace himself," Vader countered knowingly.

"Then what was the point in making it?" Padme questioned idly.

"I felt it best to know where the Viceroy's mind is. Fear of Sidious, or fear of failure?" Vader explained. "Even in death, Sidious still plagues us."

"What did Sidious do, to instill such fear and loyalty in him?" Padme asked, shaking her head with a sigh.

"Imagine all the mystery and powers of a Jedi Master," Vader stated calmly. "Now imagine that used against you by the most corrupt and heartless being you can fathom."

Padme pondered that for a moment. "I'd almost pity him, if his cowardly greed was not what led to the suffering of my planet," Padme said coldly.

Vader glanced to the Queen, and try though she might to hide it, he could see the trembling in her hand. Had she been this worried in the last timeline? Would he have noticed, so young and marveling at how green Naboo was at the time? Or had she just been able to hide it so well?

If so, it said something that she let him see it, even if unintentionally.

Her trembling ceased as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

And he realized how blind she made him, even now. It was not fear that made her tremble. No, that was there, but it was not what shook in her bones. That was something else. Something he knew very, very well...

"To be angry is to be human, Amidala," Vader said in understanding.

Padme almost smiled at that. "Is that a Sith sentiment?" she asked with some empty yet appreciative humor.

"No. Just the words of someone very wise."

End of Chapter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 49 4
Starkiller was an apprentice to darth vader, he would follow his commands without question, he would hunt jedi that survived the massacre and give in...
5.4K 69 9
Nivix Palpatine has been apart of the Jedi Order for her entire life while her father has secretly taught her the ways of the dark side. When her fat...
15.1K 390 26
"I thought we had decided not to fall in love." A story in which a Senator married a Sith Lord, but fell in love with another man. Padmé Amidala is...
54.8K 1.7K 8
AU: TAKES PLACE BETWEEN ROTS AND ANH. Two years... two years since Darth Vader became what he was. He was trapped... trapped inside himself, he coul...