Right Before The End | BOOK #...

By thinkingofthoughts

Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious athletes, and a girl that yearns f... More

Welcome! INFO AND MORE
CHARACTERS
Blaise And Sage
Introduction
introduction
preface
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy
Seventy-One
Seventy-Two
Seventy-Three
Seventy-Four
Seventy-Five
Seventy-Six
Seventy-Seven
Seventy-Eight
Epilouge
to my besties <3
bonus chapter #1
bonus chapter #2

Thirty-Nine

30.9K 1K 974
By thinkingofthoughts

Blaise Beck-Day
Present

"Sage!"

I yelled her name as I ran out of the elevator after her. She was fast on her toes though just like she always has been. I left Mannon standing in the empty elevator as I took off. Outside of my penthouse, students were hanging out.

I pushed through the crowd of people, my eyes scanning every single person from their toes to the baby hairs on their forehead. Where's my Sage? I pushed through the crowd farther until I saw her face for a split second.

Bingo.

"Sage!" I called out her name, jogging to her. Before she could speed up I jumped up right in front of her. However, that didn't stop her from moving through. She put her hand up to my chest, pressing my body, then with one rough shove, she tried to get away from me.

I quickly scanned the area before grabbing her by the waist and pulling her into one of the open side alleyways. My hand came up to cover her mouth before my arm wrapped around her waist and scooped her up.

She kicked me so hard that I nearly bent over, hollering in pain.

Holy shit.

"Fuck, Sage. Please calm down." I whispered in her ear. I walked down the alleyway, thankful that all the students that had walked by had dispersed with only a few stragglers left behind. As I set her on her feet, her back leaned against the brick wall, her body toward me like gravity.

My hand pulled away from her lips.

"You motherfucker! Quit manhandling me!" She leaned off the wall.

"I didn't know she was coming!" I expressed.

Rolling her eyes she responded. "Really? Is that why you just tried to bang me in the elevator? Wanted a piece of ass before your girlfriend came into town?" She shoved me again.

I shook my head. "No! She's not my girlfriend and she wasn't supposed to come here." I reached for her hand but she pulled it away from me.

"Oh– she wasn't supposed to come here? Just like you weren't supposed to leave me?" She mocked.

"None of my feelings have changed for you, Sage!" I yelled.

She flinched at my tone, her tear-filled eyes blinking profusely. "Well, that makes one of us."

I frowned. "You still love me, Sage. I know you feel it too. I know you all too well enough that you wouldn't just let anyone feel you up like that in an elevator. You missed me, I know you did– I read the letters. Please Sage, just be my friend again. I miss you. You don't mean that, Sage. Come on– you can't deny what happened in that elevator!"

"No, I won't deny it. But I will regret it for the rest of my life."

Her shocking words made me stumble. "So what? That's it. You're going to walk away and not hear me out–"

"Your words do not deserve to be heard by my ears. Your words mean nothing to me, okay? Nothing. You are my art partner that I had a past with. That's it. Once this semester is over, go back to France with her. I don't want this. I missed you until the last stupid letter that I sent you and that was months ago. Tu ne comprends pas ça?"

(Don't you understand that?)

I was silent as she stepped away from me. "Do your part in the class next time asshole some people don't kick balls for a living."

She was quick on her feet as she turned away, walking away from me and leaving me to stand all alone in the alleyway. Her words cut like a knife, her tears stung every single open wound that her words left on my body.

I stared at where her silhouette just was. She's the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, with or without glasses. With or without braces. With or without a broken nose. With or without pigtails in her hair. With or without a tarantula. With or without an obsession with bugs and dirt.

I kicked the wall in frustration before making the short walk back to my penthouse. When I arrived back in the lobby, Mannon stood with her phone up to her ear. I rolled my eyes hearing her speak. "Oui papa je reviens bientôt."

(Yes daddy, I'll be home soon.)

My hand came up to her phone, hanging up the phone call before finding the nearest trash can in the lobby and throwing it in the trash shoot. Her mouth dropped open in shock. "Why would you do that, Blaise!"

I stepped into the elevator, pressing my floor number.

Of course, she followed.

"Aren't you happy to see me? I thought that you missed me!" She stood in front of me.

"Je revenais après Noël. Tu ne pouvais pas attendre de me voir alors?" I asked.

(I was coming back after Christmas. You couldn't wait to see me then?)

She frowned. "No, I missed you too much."

"I missed you too but we aren't like that." She frowned.

"We could be."

"I don't want to date you, Mannon. That's why I've held back." I stressed. The elevator door opened and I walked to my door, opening it. Holding it open so she could wheel her luggage in.

"There's a spare bedroom off to the left of the kitchen."

"No need. I got a hotel for the next couple of days." Good. She spun around, taking in every single inch of decoration in the penthouse. "Wow– you really settled in." She spoke while observing.

I nodded. "Yeah. I like this place."

She smiled at me. "McGuthrie said he's been trying to call you to see about a DLS?" I swallowed hard. "DLS is that code for something?" She asked.

I shrugged. "It's McGuthrie, who knows. He was probably drunk or high or both. Maybe his blue balls got to his head." She laughed at me while I walked over to my kitchen. My phone was on the counter and I quickly checked it, refreshing it multiple times to see if she had messaged me.

I just wanted to hear from her. Anything from her. Even if it was her cursing me out again, I just wanted to hear from her.

"Are you busy tonight?" She asked.

I nodded.

"With what?"

"Um, I told the soccer team that I would go to practice with them." Looking at me in disgust she sighed before walking over to the couch and fixing the blankets on them. "Man, you do not tidy this place up like the one in France."

Yeah, well, because I learned from the best to not be uptight in this town.

"Are you okay? Did I barge in on something?" I sighed loudly.

I placed my fingers flat against my kitchen counter. "Look Mannon, I don't want a relationship with you. You know this, that's why I won't–"

"Fuck me. Yes, I get it, Blaise. You won't fuck me. I thought we had moved passed this!" She stressed, sitting down. I shook my head.

"Mannon, I wouldn't drag you along like this. I told you from day one that we were friends who like to hook up– without sex– you knew this. I didn't want to be tied to you like that. I love having you as a friend, but I'm sorry, I just don't want to be with you like that." Rolling her eyes she started to dig through her purse.

I needed to get away from everything before I burst. I ran my hands through my semi-wet hair. I pulled my blue-light glasses off of my face and placed them on the counter. "You are welcome to stay here for as long as you need to. I just have to pop over to my parents for an hour then I'm off to that soccer practice."

Mannon's eyes popped up to mine, a frown on her face. "Really?"

I nodded. "Look, I'll be back late tonight. Let's do something tomorrow, okay? You're here for a week let's try to make the most of it."

"Yeah. But I might cut this trip short. Pennsylvania smells like shit, no offense." I snorted, shaking my head.

"There's a lot of history written about this town." I walked toward my bedroom, throwing on a hoodie and sliding on a pair of shoes. I grabbed a gym bag before heading back to where Mannon was sitting.

I could totally see how hurt Sage was over everything. It was clear to me. She had fallen so in love with me, and I had left her. I left her for all the reasons that I still deem as the right ones, but those reasons, in turn, hurt her more than I thought they would.

I never thought that becoming a professional soccer player was a part of my plan however it happened. I never expected her to pick up magazines and stare at photos of me with another girl in my arms. I hadn't let alone woman into my heart since Sage because nobody could find enough soil in the world to plant a root in my heart like she had. She was it for me.

Did I make out with the occasional model? Of course. But it always ended up with me gurgling mouthwash right after. Nobody tasted like her, nobody touched like her, nobody felt like her. I guess the reason Mannon and I just clicked is because she is nothing like Sage but in all of the right ways.

I had developed a friendship with Mannon, one that was nothing like my friendship with Sage's.

But, it was nice that I had someone like Mannon in my life. She cared when I needed someone overseas. As I left Mannon at my place, I walked outside into the fresh air, taking it all in.

There was one person who knew why I left.

He's been here this entire time.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket as I slid into the driver's seat of my car, staring at the engine and then pulling out and heading to my parent's home. I quickly dialed my father's number, one that hadn't changed since I left for France.

"What."

He answered and a smile appeared on my face.

"Dad."

"What."

"You free to talk? I'm heading over home quickly." I heard a pen clicking in the background of the call.

"Your mom's home. I just popped out quickly, I'm sitting in Ellie's office reading an autobiography that someone wrote about me." I rolled my eyes.

"Okay. Well, I'll be at home if you want to come to see me. I love you." I quickly turned down the road that held my parent's house.

"Love you too spawn."

As the dial tone was heard signaling that he had hung up, I tossed my phone in the passenger seat, pulling into the long driveway. I put the car in park and just stared at the large house in front of me.

This was home.

Home was not France.

Home was where she was. Home was where I felt most comfortable. Home is where I don't have to pick up and change my entire life just because I wanted to help out a friend by reaching for his dreams.

The driveway was recently paved over but still, I could pick out every single spot that Sage had wiped out while riding her bike. She was such a clutz when we were younger, every time she fell off of her bike or scooter in my driveway she would start bawling. I would rush to her and try not to laugh at this hideous crying face she made.

There used to be a huge swingset in the backyard for all of us to play on. It's not there anymore but the grass is still dead from where it once was. I remember teaching Sage how to swing.

I remember everything.

Sneaking out to hang out on my roof at midnight to stare up at the stars. Swinging on fall nights. Riding our bikes during summer days. Swimming in the pool in the mornings. Her planting flowers with my mom even though my dad hated it because he too hated dirt.

I stepped out of my car, jogging up to the front door. I opened it, hearing voices in the kitchen. "Mom?" I called out.

"In here with Stella!" Great.

I walked to the big kitchen, a smile on my face as I spotted my mother placing a tray of something in the fridge. She turned around a smile on her face as well. I hugged her quickly before a throat cleared behind me.

"Blaise. Don't you have a fire to start somewhere?" Stella's voice teased.

I huffed out a laugh. "Stella, don't you have a fiancée to fuck?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Touché."

Mom leaned over my shoulder. "Stell was just leaving. She was here asking for my opinion on flower arrangements for her wedding. You know, the reason why you are home three months early?"

My smile fell. "Yes. Of course. Why don't you ask Sage about the flowers though and not my mom? Sage is quite the florist." I spun on my feet, reached past my mom into the open fridge, and grabbed water.

As I turned back around, my mom and Stella were staring at each other. One eyebrow of mine perked up. "What?" I asked, uncapping the water bottle lid.

Stella shook her head. "Nothing you little dream murderer. I'm leaving. Goodbye bologna, love you bitch."

Mom wasn't even able to say goodbye as Stella quickly left the house, her eyes were glaring at me the entire time. I turned to face my mom, a look of disbelief on my face as I heard the door slam shut.

"Wow. She's still a brat." I spoke.

Mom shrugged. "Is she? Or is she being an older sister to Sage?" I nodded.

I walked to the kitchen chairs, taking a seat as mom walked around the kitchen. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" Mom asked.

"I was thinking that I start from the beginning. I tried to talk to you a couple of days ago but I was just too emotional then. I think I'm ready to tell you everything." A small smile appeared on her face. She planted herself on a chair in front of me.

"I'm all ears. I'll listen to anything."

I love my mom.

"But first, I hope that you weren't an absolute dickhead to Mannon. She didn't deserve you leaving France either." My eyebrows furrowed.

"You know she's here?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I gave her your address so you couldn't hide from her. She's a great girl." Rolling my eyes, I started to speak.

"Let me start with the beginnings okay?" As she nodded, I spoke.

"When you and dad dragged me out of France and put me into school here, I thought my life was over. Okay? I thought it was done with. I was the illest tempered and dramatic eight-year-old on the planet. My plan was to get suspended on day one, that's why I pulled Sage's hair."

Mom reached for her cup of tea, drinking it.

"But then I soon realized that I liked Sage. A lot. She was kind, and she never asked me for anything other than friendship. She wanted sunlight instead of diamonds and she wanted rain instead of money. She was different."

My heart ached for her.

"I am in love with her and I never stopped being in love with her but then there is Slater, obviously where Slater goes, Sage does too. They grew closer when Helen became super ill. Do you remember that?" Mom nodded.

"Do you remember the one argument that I had with dad about Reese wanting to change my position on the football team? Reese had been begging me for years to take over Slater's spot. When I knew that was Slater's spot and only his spot. He worked his ass off for that position while Reese was just trying to hand it to me." I swallowed hard.

"Slater always tried so hard to be my best friend because let's be honest, Drew, Baker, and Leighton were a trio that worked out well. Everyone expected Slater and I to be best friends, but instead, it was Sage and me. Slater just was the 'cool' kid in school that everyone wanted to be friends with because of his money, his dad, and his parties. So while Sage and I did stuff for her birthday every night, Slater would go to football practice and then go home and go to bed. He had Matti and Naomi, but he never had his person."

Mom frowned, "Wait are you telling me the reason you left is because–"

"It's because of the fact that I was not trying to shit on Slater's happiness. Slater's happiness being shit on meant that Sage's self-confidence and own happiness would be ruined because of Slater. I mean, could you honestly imagine living under the same roof as your brother when your boyfriend stole his position on the team? Could you?"

"Or even at school– people were already so harsh on Sage. I'm not saying Slater would force people to target her, but for sure people would target me. I don't give a shit about much but her. She is my world and I thought leaving meant protecting her peace. I believe I protected it too much by leaving because now it looks like everything backfired on me."

Mom's face was unreadable as she sat in silence for a few moments. She took in a couple of deep breaths, her forehead scrunching up. She twitched in her seat, putting her hair up in a ponytail as she leaned against the table.

"I don't know whether I should smack the shit out of you or hug you to death. You are the most selfless selfish person I know." She bit down hard on her cheek after speaking.

I chuckled deeply leaning over the table and tapping her hand. "Is that a good thing? Do you think I left for a good reason? Like a good enough reason that she would understand?"

Mom shook her head. "She as in Sage? You have to get on your knees and beg for her to forgive you. I mean, you have no idea what you put that poor girl through. Or you father and I! We thought you were going through a midlife crisis! We have always taught you to communicate!"

I nodded. "I did tell someone I was leaving though and why."

She shook her head.

"No, you didn't. None of us knew."

I frowned. "Buddy knew. He saw me at Helen's funeral."

Mom gasped. "You went to Helen's funeral! You ass!" Mom reached for a towel, smacking me with it.

"I snuck in. I caught a last-minute flight. I couldn't miss being there, it would haunt me for the rest of my life if I wasn't there in some way for Sage when it came to Helen." I cleared my throat, taking another sip of water.

Mom sighed. "God Blaise. Did you weigh out the odds of what would've happened if you did end up staying?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I read your journal. I wasn't trying to cause a war between the adults again. Helen was sick, Buddy was mourning, and Matti and Reese were on good terms. Ellie and Naomi were on good terms– I wasn't trying to be the reason for ruin."

"Blaise!" Mom's voice was tense.

I pouted.

"That drama was almost thirty years ago, I hope you know that." She placed her head in her hands.

"But I was a sixteen-year-old boy and there were more significant problems going on. I wasn't trying to add my minuscule drama to the mix." Mom reached for her towel again, waiting to smack me.

"Why haven't you told Sage this yet?"

"I don't want her to hate Slater, and Buddy isn't doing well. She needs everyone in her life right now, and I waited until now to come back because Slater is secure in his spot on the team. I can't play football anyways, and we are all eighteen. We are in high school anymore, we are in college. Sage doesn't have to live at home, and she doesn't have to face the scrutiny of Slater if something were to go wrong."

"You are so much like your dad it just grosses me out. I mean, doing other shit to benefit people! Come on! Blaise, have you learned nothing." I shrugged.

"Do you think she'll forgive me? I've tried to talk to her. She just– hates me now. I didn't ever mean for her to hate me, mom. I just wanted to keep her happy. I risked my home to ensure her happiness and now I think I ruined everything."

She stood up from the seat she was sitting in, and walked over to the fridge, pulling out a bag of grapes. "I don't think she's going to forgive you easily but you could definitely get her to crack a few times."

She popped a grape in her mouth as I spoke. "She's so different now."

Mom nodded. "Yeah. She claims that it wasn't because of you but Naomi and I think it's because she wanted to get rid of everything that reminded herself of you. I mean, everything was changed about her."

I frowned. "I didn't mean for that to happen. I just didn't want her to live in a house that was on fire or go to a school that became a warzone. She didn't deserve that."

Mom ate another grape, sitting silently. "Mom, will you help me get her back?"

She swallowed hard, coughing. Shaking her head she spoke, "Man, I'm not doing shit. I'm old now, I'm sitting back and watching this movie play out."

I bit down hard on my lip.

"But, what I will tell you is that she still has a heart of gold. A little birdie told me you two are art partners and from the experience, I have with art partners, I think everything will work out just fine as long as you keep pursuing her."

From here on out, it was an operation to get her back into my arms and never let her leave them again.

Hey besties!

I'm back!
I'll be updating three times a week.
Everything is just crazy right now juggling two jobs and twenty college credits this semester! I promise, I'll get the hang of it though!
I just came back from seeing Harry at Madison Square Garden! He was absolutely amazing & what was even more amazing was meeting you guys who were at the show as well!!!

I love you all so much and I thank you for every single thing.
Thank you. SO much. I love you.

THE NEXT CHAPTER IS THE LAST PAST CHAPTER :(

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 45.8K 69
SEQUEL to THE COACH'S DAUGHTER. Complete. One fateful night changed it all. Since being thrown in each other's worlds, Amelia and Zack have jumped ov...
259K 7.6K 31
Colton Adams, son of professional football player Garrett Adams, is the typical Hollywood golden boy despite being from New York. Colton lives in his...
226K 8.6K 26
Harper Williams is just trying to get through high school, drawing as minimal attention as possible to herself. But it's kind of hard to avoid all th...
3M 77.2K 71
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a girl who never wanted to be there in th...