Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky

85 5 1
By KageNishi

Following the China and Catalonia parts, this marks the beginning of the Micronesia part.

- Bokutotsu Zen'u

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 10, 2105

Kwajalein, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Pacific Ocean

The islands collectively known as "Micronesia" are located in the Pacific Ocean, further south than the Japanese archipelago. It consists of the American Mariana Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Kiribati.

The islands of Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands were originally placed under the defense of the United States federal government. However, the federal government, which had its hands full trying to contain the upheaval in the homeland, and the people who threw themselves into the chaos, choose to terminate the Compact of Free Association (COFA). As a result, most of the American troops stationed in Micronesia were moved to bases on the mainland or in China. With US military influence greatly diminished, Micronesia became a den for warlords and pirates who roamed mainland China and Southeast Asia.

The local population, which had lost its American shield, was also building a new defense system to counter these pirates. This is the tale of an elderly Imperial soldier far from Japan and the flying boat crew raised by him.

Kwajalein Island in the Republic of the Marshall Islands was once a military base for the American forces. Today, the US military has withdrawn from the island, and the airstrip at Bucholz Army Airfield is in a state of disrepair. One flying boat is parked on the runway. It was the US-2, a flying boat once used by the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. The aircraft has the Hinomaru painted on it, just as it did when it was still in service in Japan.

There were men playing poker in front of that relic of the last century. On a round table surrounded by men, coins for chips were placed haphazardly. At that moment, a telephone placed at the end of the table rings. An elderly man dressed in a military uniform reached over and picked up the receiver.

"...Yes, hello?"

"...Is this Mister Sudo? There are pirates in the vicinity of Ailinglaplap Atoll."

It was an urgent call from the Marshall Islands government police force. The man called Sudo listened back into the other end of the receiver.

"Pirates at Ailinglaplap Atoll...?

"Qingdao Chinese Legion."

"Qingdao Chinese Legion? ...Never heard of them."

"They are pirates who have recently been moving from the Chinese coast and are not part of the People's Liberation Army. They are targeting cargo ships from Papua New Guinea!"

"Understood... we'll sortie in three minutes."

Sudo hung up the phone. At that moment, the men who had been lazily playing poker until then all stood up in unison, put on their squadron uniforms, and boarded the US-2, the old-century flying boat. The engines started, contact is made with the control tower, and preparations for takeoff are made in the blink of an eye.

"Alright, let's go!"

And finally, Ittetsu Sudo... an Imperial Japanese Navy Lieutenant, boarded the plane.

The Imperial Japanese Navy detachment stationed in the Marshall Islands, led by Lieutenant Sudo, is a garrison unit stationed at a former US military base as the guardian of the Micronesian region in place of the Americans, in accordance with the security agreement signed between Japan and the Marshall Islands.

Sea near the Ailinglaplap Atoll, Republic of the Marshall Islands

A single warship is approaching a medium-sized cargo ship headed for Majuro Atoll, the capital of the country. On a mast located behind the bridge, the skull and crossbones were displayed, and characters for "Qingdao Chinese Legion" was carelessly written in black paint on the ship's hull.

"Stop! Stop or we'll sink you at once!"

"Aaaah!"

A threatening voice emitted from a loudspeaker. The freighter's helmsman, with a pale face, gradually reduced the ship's speed. A single rapid-fire gun positioned at the front of the ship pointed its muzzle at the freighter.

However, there is no way that the ship, which has been out of military control for more than half a century, has been properly maintained or supplied with ammunition. The single rapid-fire gun is now a mere piece of hardware that can only move, and the torpedo tubes and short-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) launchers are nothing more than empty tubes. The only live armaments are the rocket launchers and machine guns retrofitted by the current crew. But even so, they were still more than enough of a threat to civilian cargo ships.

"Board the ship!!"

The corvette Qingdao formerly belonged to the People's Liberation Army Navy gradually approached the starboard side of the freighter, then made contact. On the corvette's port side, pirates armed with small arms were waiting with evil grins on their faces. Among them is the captain, Ming Shiyuan.

"...!"

On the freighter's starboard side, the freighter's sailors were lined up in a row. Captain Joe Sugata stood one step in front of them and faced the pirates with a tense look.

"Pirate Qingdao Chinese Legion... I presume you are Captain Ming Shiyuan... what do you want?"

At his question, Ming Shiyuan grinned and ordered his men.

"Take the cargo, money, everything!!"

"WOOOOOH!!"

"Aaaaah!"

The pirates' shouts mingled with the screams of the sailors on the sea. The pirates who came barging in turned the cargo ship into an inferno of screaming.

Sky over the Marshall Islands

The US-2 crewed by the Japanese is rushing to the scene. This US-2 was a variant designed as a "gunship of the sea" for pirate suppression, with a small window on the left side of the fuselage for firing the Gatling guns. It was also equipped with a howitzer and other equipment. Lieutenant Sudo and co-pilot Lieutenant Junior Grade Keiji Arikawa sat in the cockpit, staring out through the forward window at the sea. Finally, the target cargo ship appeared on the horizon.

"...There it is! All hands, prepare for combat!"

Sudo's raspy voice echoed through the cabin. The soldiers opened a small window on the left side of the plane, exposing the barrel of a Gatling gun fixed to the gun turret.

Meanwhile, the freighter was also aware of the heavy propeller sound. They saw a flying boat of the Imperial Japanese Navy flying in from beyond the sky, and felt their tension broken. However, there was no pirate ship in sight. The pirate had already finished plundering.

"Dammit! We're too late!" Sudo scowled.

A signal light went off from the freighter toward the US-2, which was circling above the freighter.

"Medical supplies, food, and fuel have been seized! We need them back! They've fled south-southwest!"

"!"

Sudo instantly deciphered the Morse code signal and steered the US-2 to change course. The navigator/communicator, a seaman first class, consulted charts to determine the pirates' escape route.

"South-southwest of here is Namorik Atoll."

"So that's where they are hiding. Let's get rid of them before they escape into the civilian population."

The US-2 flew in the direction of Namorik Atoll. Soon after, a pirate-flagged corvette of the former Chinese Navy was caught in their line of sight.

The pirates are in a good mood, as they have taken away medicines, which are very valuable in this era, as well as food, which was supposed to supply the islanders, and fuel, which is essential for piracy.

"That's pretty good for an old cargo ship!"

The People's Liberation Army was forced to drastically downsize under the control of the United Nations in the wake of the East Asia War that broke out some 80 years ago. Suddenly deprived of their jobs and privileges, former soldiers of the PLA were reduced to bandits after robbing the Communist government of all weapons and arms. And now, those who belonged to the ground forces have become warlords ruling the mainland, while those who served in the navy are operating as pirates in the East China Sea, the South China Sea, and the Pacific Ocean, using naval vessels from the old century at their own discretion. This Qingdao Chinese Legion was one such group of pirates.

The captain, Ming Shiyuan, stood on the deck looking out over the ocean. His strong physique and face suggest that he is capable of leading a band of ruffians. But behind them, the guardians of the Pacific Ocean were approaching. The first to notice this was an air search radar spotter.

"...Captain! Aircraft approaching from our six!"

"What!?"

Ming Shiyuan shouted in surprise and hurried back to the bridge. Soon, the sound of heavy propellers echoed over the sea.

"There! It's a flying boat of the Imperial Japanese Navy!"

"Tsk...!"

Blue aircraft mimicking the sky and sea, the guardians of the great ocean, appeared. As the crew cowered, Captain Ming Shiyuan ordered his men to escape at full speed.

"Run away as fast as we can and get ready for battle! Keep them at bay with anti-aircraft fire!"

"Sir!"

Meanwhile, the gunship variant of the US-2 was getting closer and closer. The combat crew hurried to prepare the machine guns and missiles in the armory, and the navigators increased the ship's speed. However, the US-2 quickly caught up behind the ship. The aircraft then issued a warning.

"Pirate ship over there. Stop immediately! Obey our orders and you will not be killed!"

Sudo's voice echoed. However, the ship did not stop, but on the contrary, fired its machine guns at the US-2.

In order to move away from the enemy attack, the US-2 kept the left side of its fuselage pointed toward the ship and circled around it to increase the distance. On the left side of the fuselage, a Gatling gun peeked out, its muzzle pointed at the pirate ship.

"Commence fire!"

"Roger!"

The gunner operated his equipment and opened fire from two Gatling guns under the order of Sudo, the captain of the plane. They struck the gun rack and the spot where the machine gun was installed, smashing the gunner as well.

"...!"

The navigation crew on the bridge could not suppress their fear as they watched their comrades being turned to mincemeat. But the attack continued mercilessly against them. Three powerful shots were fired from a howitzer whose muzzle peeked out from the rear of the US-2. These shells, designed for anti-ship use, penetrated the rear deck of the ship and exploded inside. At that moment, the ship's hull distorted greatly and slowed down.

"Take control! Close in!"

The US-2, having reaped the threat of the enemy's anti-aircraft armament, approached right next to the ship and moved alongside it. The US-2 then landed on the surface of the sea, opening its aft relief doors.

"Lower the boat!"

From there, a small boat with a motor is lowered to the surface. Soldiers in powered suits boarded the boats one after another. They looked like robots or androids.

The boat, carrying five soldiers, continued to approach the pirate ship. One of the soldiers hooked a rope to the forward deck of the ship with a line-firing rifle, and then reeled it in to bring the boat into contact with the ship.

"Let's go!"

Five soldiers, including Leading Seaman Kawashima, who was in command of the suppression team, boarded the enemy ship. They quickly climbed up the ropes with muscle power enhanced by their suits. After entering the ship, they invaded the ship carrying small arms. The exterior of the corvette had already been battered by the US-2's attack.

But the pirates did not just stare at the intruders, either. They picked up the submachine guns they had stored aboard the ship, leaned out the bridge window, and pulled the trigger without a pause at the Empire's soldiers.

"Take this, guǐzi (devil)!"

"...Agh!"

Bullets rained down mercilessly. The soldiers quickly guarded their faces with their arms. The outer shells of the powered suits are designed to withstand gunfire and repel all submachine gun bullets.

"...Gah! Damn monsters!!"

The pirates are frightened at the sight of the unflinching soldiers. The soldiers, seizing the moment when the attack stopped, threw stun grenades toward the bridge.

"Eat this!"

"...Huh!? AAAAH!!"

The stun grenades were thrown through the windows, and the moment they hit the floor, they emitted flashes as they detonated. They mercilessly robbed the pirates of their sight and hearing.

"CHARGE!!"

Kawashima's order was given as a signal, and soldiers reinforced by suits rushed into the ship. They kicked in through the locked doors and rushed in one after another.

"Shit! That's not fair—GAH!!"

"...Agh!!"

The soldiers shot and killed the pirates lurking inside the ship in the order in which they encountered them. The ship is filled with the sound of gunfire and stun grenades. It was a hellish scene, just like when a civilian ship is attacked by pirates.

"This is Mitsuru, engine room clear."

"Hangar is clear."

"Ammunition depot is clear."

The pirates were no match for the robust power suits, which were impervious to any half-hearted attack. The ship was quickly overrun by a mere five soldiers.

"This is Sakaki! We have confirmed the plundered supplies. Some of the medical supplies are damaged, but the food is safe."

"Roger that... Alright, all clear! Good job, everyone!"

Leading Seaman Kawashima is listening to the reports of his men on the bridge. Beside him is the bound and unconscious captain, Ming Shiyuan. The ship is quiet as the suppression is completed, and a sea of blood has formed everywhere.

"Set scuttling charges immediately! We will withdraw as soon as you are ready!"

"Yes, sir!"

Kawashima ordered his men to finish the job. Soon after, the soldiers who had planted the bombs returned with the stolen cargo. They boarded the boat with Ming Shiyuan and returned to the US-2, which was standing by at sea.

After confirming the return of the soldiers, the pilot, Lieutenant Sudo, sent a message to the base on Kwajalein. The plane then prepared to take off.

"This is Sudo. We have captured the pirate's leader and recovered the cargo. The ship is to be scuttled."

"This is Bucholz, acknowledged. Take care."

The four propellers started to turn and the US-2 accelerated, and with a spray of water, it flew out of the water in an instant.

"...Blasting!"

And when they are far enough away, the bombs of the pirates' corvette detonated. The Qingdao, a corvette that used to belong to the People's Liberation Army Navy, exploded and scattered with a tremendous roar, and black smoke billowed up like a huge pillar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 10, 2105

National Police Agency, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo, Japanese Empire

On the same day, in Japan, in a room of the National Police Agency, police officers of the International Crime Prevention and Control Division, a de facto specialized investigation agency for foreign crimes, are having a meeting around a table. On the screen they are watching is a map of the Asia-Pacific region.

"The 'Pleasure Fire' ...is one of the twenty-three forbidden magical drugs established by the Magical Agency. It is a magical drug that is said to cause the body to burst into flames, and there is a thirty percent chance that the body will actually catch fire and die."

Inspector Nobuhiko Raiga, the moderator of the event, explained. The 'Magical Agency' he refers to is one of the new organizations established by the Japanese government as a result of the influx of magic and demi-humans, and is the apex body of these organizations. Its mission is to investigate and gather information on magic, witchcraft, and the special abilities of the demi-human races in Japan.

And now, in this conference room, there was a matter on the agenda regarding banned magic drugs as stipulated by the Magical Agency. The information was that magical drugs that were supposed to exist only in Japan were being distributed outside the country.

"The two countries where spontaneous human combustion has been confirmed this time are the Republic of Palau and the Republic of the Philippines. The Palau incident was corroborated by a dispatch from the Imperial Navy, and the Philippines incident was corroborated by the local embassy."

Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia, all located in Micronesia, have concluded new security agreements with Japan since the end of the Compact of Free Association, which entrusted security to the United States in exchange for economic aid. The IJN has a contingent stationed in Palau and the Federated States of Micronesia, as well as a contingent of the IJN stationed on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands. The alleged Pleasure Fire incident occurred at a club in Palau. The other incident in the Philippines occurred at a brothel in Manila, where a building was burned down.

"The drug has a history of being sold in Japan. The manufacturer and distributor must have left Japan illegally. Furthermore, the market extends to Southeast Asia and Micronesia. However, its base still remains a mystery."

Today, Japan is regarded as the only country in the world with a complete rule of law in this devastated world. However, in the years immediately after its return from Terralus, there was a period of instability in the country, as in other struggles, due to a three-way struggle between hordes of illegal refugees seeking asylum from the continent, otherworldly immigrants with evil spirits of mountains and rivers who began to feel uneasy after being away from their homes, and citizens who feared these demi-humans and devoted themselves to anti-immigration movements. The Pleasure Fire was a magical drug created right around that time.

The Investigation Division 4, the Magical Agency, and the International Crime Prevention and Control Division were established to combat them, and the 23 Forbidden Magical Drugs were also established at that time.

"More than sixty years ago, Pleasure Fire was manufactured and sold by Desma Raylap, a member of the Cthufa Hex Group, Amamiya Berina, a seduction fairy, and the Kamimine Clan, who colluded with them. The two manufacturers should have been executed and the group in charge of sales should have been destroyed, but we should assume that the remnants of the group have fled the country. This is nothing short of an outflow of government-prohibited magical technology."

The outflow of domestically produced narcotics was a serious matter in itself, but the fact that magical technology, albeit illegal, was also a matter of concern to the Japanese police.

"The unique characteristic of this drug is that it is an "otherworldly product made in Japan." It is a dangerous drug that does not exist in Terralus and was created with otherworldly arts based on fantastical ideas from Earth. We must find the source of this drug at all costs."

Inspector Raiga, the moderator of the meeting, emphasized the importance of solving the case. The meeting then ended.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 386 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...
1.8M 71.6K 125
The Mob Character Shouldn't Have A Yandere Harem?! 50 years ago, rifts started to open around the world. Portals to other dimensions. And with their...
2.4K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
35.4K 2.3K 76
A spin on the classic tale of Heroes summoned to defeat the Demon Lord, only the main character is the Demon Lord... who is also one of the Heroes? M...