Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Part 2: Overseas

140 7 0
By KageNishi

Unexplored Continent "Eurasia"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 5, 2101

Prime Minister's Office, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo

On this day, ministers of the Cabinet led by Prime Minister Hashida gathered in a room of the Prime Minister's Office. The document distributed to the Cabinet was titled "White Paper on Space Migration," distributed by the Ministry of Space Development at the regular cabinet meeting.

"The number of people who wishes to migrate to the Lunar Colony has continued to increase since the start of migration in 2085, and the number of applicants has greatly exceeded the capacity of the cities. Although work to expand the city continues, supply cannot keep up with demand."

Shota Namba, Minister of Space Development, explained the data. Space development is a national policy that Japan was promoting at this time.

On the moon, Earth's natural satellite, there is a city built by Japan with the power of 28th-century science. The city, named "Taketori" after an old Japanese tale about the moon, has been inhabited by more than 3.000 civilians since 16 years ago when the migration began. Most of the immigrants are "naturalized" citizens.

In the 22nd century, Japan is still under a semi-closed-door regime, and foreign employment is not permitted at all. Therefore, the concept of "foreign residents" has disappeared, and the only visas issued to foreigners are "diplomatic" and "temporary visitor" visas. Therefore, the only way for foreigners to reside in Japan is to "emigrate."

However, those who wanted to immigrate to the Japanese mainland are subject to very strict screening for their assets, criminal records of themselves, blood relatives, and spouses, and above all, they are required to sever all ties with their origin country. In fact, only about 10 people a year pass the screening process and are approved.

However, in the case of space immigrants, the screening requirements are greatly relaxed. They are given Japanese citizenship in exchange for not being allowed to reside on the Japanese mainland as a model case for future mass settlements. They would much rather live in space than in their home country, so they have jumped on the Japanese government's call for space immigrants one by one.

"In the future, 50.000 people are expected to emigrate to the moon in the next 10 years, and another 50.000 will begin immigrating to Mars in 20 years. In the next 50 years, we aim to have 5 million immigrants on the Moon and 3 million on Mars. The goal for the next 100 years is to complete space immigration of 4 billion people, about half of the Earth's current population."

The Japanese government hoped to eventually send a majority of the world's population into space. This ultimate goal is a classified matter that has not been announced to the public. The purpose of space exploration is to "secure Japan's sphere of existence," and the purpose of space immigration, which is being promoted simultaneously, is to move the overpopulation into space and "halt the ongoing pollution of the global environment."

With the East Asia War, the disappearance of Japan, and the subsequent collapse of the world economy, all sense of order and values disappeared into chaos. This has lingered into the 22nd century, and the majority of humanity still lives in poverty and hunger, under the law of the jungle, a world where dog eats dog.

And in this turbulent world, marine pollution has accelerated even more than in the early 21st century. Most regions have become anarchic, and the unregulated dumping of waste into the ocean has increased dramatically. It is also invading the waters around the Japanese archipelago. Then, they should remove the source of the problem, the large number of people who are out of the control of the state power, from the Earth.

"...In order to make this 22nd century a century of happiness, we cannot allow ourselves to go backward. To protect the Japanese Empire and our beautiful planet."

Japanese space immigration is sometimes accused of "national abduction" by other governments. They fear that if the situation continues as it is, all of their country's citizens will be carried off into space. However, this accusation is misplaced, as even in this era, the freedom of individual migration is guaranteed. However, their fears were right on target. Human space migration was steadily advancing toward its goal of 100 years from now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 1, 2102

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, Japanese Empire

On this day, the staff of the Foreign Ministry, which is in charge of Japan's diplomatic affairs, were gathered in a room. Their eyes were focused on the documents placed in front of them and on the explainer standing in front of the screen. Not only Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff members but also members of the House of Councillors were present at the meeting.

"The final meeting will be held to prepare for the departure of the site visit for the construction of the railroad transportation line, which finally started in January this year after repeated negotiations with the Chinese Communist Party Government and the Changsha's Ban Clique."

The moderator began to explain with his back to the screen. On the screen where the participants of the meeting were staring, a map of mainland China was first shown. Speaking of which, in this era in Japan, world maps were removed from textbooks and teaching materials used in elementary, junior high, and high school education. Unless one majored in geography or world history at university, he or she was more likely to grow up without ever seeing a world map. As part of the effort to maintain a semi-closed country policy, the government has made it impossible for underage children to develop an interest in foreign countries.

"First, let us review the basics of the People's Republic of China. The Chinese Communist Party Government, with its capital in Chongqing, now officially declares a vast territory that includes the East Turkestan Republic, Tibet, the Republic of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Manchuria, as its official territory. However, the Communist Party actually exercises effective control over only a few cities, including Chongqing, and their surrounding areas, and continues to depend on the United States and the international community for security."

The People's Republic of China, the world's second-largest economy, quickly fell as a result of the Chinese Civil War in 2019 and the East Asia War that broke out shortly thereafter. The collapse of China had a profound impact on the world economy as it was, and the transference of Japan that occurred shortly after that led to the complete collapse of the world economy and order. China, which has since been plagued by civil strife and upheaval, has accepted the intervention of the US and the International Federation to maintain security, but the collapse has not stopped. The vast land of China is now descended into another Warring States Period, with influential warlords roaming the land.

"We enter Shanghai, where the American military is stationed, by plane and stayed there before entering Changsha by land. In Changsha, we will meet and exchange views with the local warlord, Ban Kunming, and after making contact with Japanese companies related to yen loans, we will head for the capital city of Chongqing. In Chongqing, we will exchange views with Li Jiande, Deputy Director of the Communist Party Government's Ministry of Transportation. After that, we will return to Japan from Chongqing to Haneda Airport. The itinerary is scheduled for 7 days and 6 nights."

The moderator roughly stated the schedule and itinerary from departure to return. Next, the moderator gave some precautions regarding the dispatch of the investigation.

"The police force and the People's Liberation Army were functioning properly, but today, with the exception of a few large cities where the United States military is stationed, almost the entire mainland China is a lawless zone. The situation and values abroad today are completely different from those in Japan, where the values of the early 21st century still remain, and the collapse of security, the return to imperialism, and the regression of the living standard make the destination beyond the sea a truly different world. Changsha's former airport has been abandoned, so air travel is not available. And if we take the land route, we risk being attacked by bandits or other warlords. You will be escorted by the Imperial Army, but we ask that you be extremely vigilant during your stay."

In this era, missions abroad are a deadly risk. There was a time when overseas tours by politicians were criticized as being the same as "trips," but now they are treated as a "poor bargain" that no one wants to go on. The two members of the House of Councillors who are on the delegation are all young people who were forced to go by their elders, and their faces are uniformly tense.

"The departure date is next Monday, April 3. Please be fully prepared by then... Well then, the meeting is now concluded. Thank you for your attention."

The moderator bowed and the meeting ended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 3

Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport)

Since Narita Airport was closed due to the drastic downsizing of international flights, the current Haneda Airport has become the only air gateway to the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. Takeoffs and landings consist of two types: domestic flights that travel within Japan, and international flights, mainly cargo planes that fly for transportation outside of Japan. Now, a passenger plane was preparing for departure on the runway of Haneda Airport. The boarding gate is closed and the plane slowly left the tarmac.

"It is now time for departure, the plane will take off shortly. Please fasten your seatbelts, remain seated, and please wait..."

With a somber look on their faces, as if they were on their way to their deaths, the two House of Councillors members, three Foreign Ministry officials, and seven Imperial Army soldiers were on board, and the plane took off for Shanghai, the sea gateway to China.

. . .

Same day

Directly Controlled Territory: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

After a two-and-a-half-hour flight, the plane carrying the delegation arrived at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. It is one of the few "air gateways" in China and also serves as a military base for the United States Armed Forces stationed in Shanghai.

After the end of the East Asia War, the United States and the People's Republic of China concluded the US-China Security Treaty as the People's Liberation Army was greatly downsized, and the Communist regime accepted the disarmament of nuclear weapons and the stationing of American troops. This was a difficult choice to maintain security.

The US military is now staring at the Japanese archipelago from bases in various parts of China, Guam, and the Philippines.

"So this is Shanghai... it's big."

One of the delegation, House of Councillors member Tatewaki Miyato, sighed, as he stepped off the plane and looked out at the big city on the coast.

Shanghai is one of the few cities under the administration of the CCP and is currently the largest city in China. It is the center of trade on the continent, where trade ships from all over Asia gather. In addition, maritime security is extremely poor, and although United States Forces China (USFC) and UN peacekeepers patrol the waters, there is no end to the number of "pirates" who target the trading ships, using the decommissioned People's Liberation Army Navy vessels to attack the surrounding coastal areas.

"Shanghai, though sheltered by the Americans, is still a lair of crime committed by the Chinese mafia. Murder, robbery, drugs, kidnapping, prostitution... please be careful, Miyato-san."

Following him off the plane, Foreign Ministry official Sagara Ouri delivered a warning to Miyato with a line that sounded like a threat. And this would be the beginning of a long seven days for them.

. . .

People's Republic of China, Capital Chongqing

China was unified by the Chinese Communist Party in the mid-20th century, but since the East Asia War, various warlords and ethnic minorities have become independent in various regions, and the country has fallen into a state of rivalry and conflict with neighboring countries that have put pressure on it. The Japanese government has recognized the Republic of East Turkestan, Tibet, the Republic of Hong Kong, and Taiwan/Republic of China, as newly independent countries, and these countries are trading with China as a separate entity. The CCP's influence is limited to the inland areas around Chongqing, and when communicating with other areas, it is customary to negotiate with the warlords who control those areas.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 71.7K 125
The Mob Character Shouldn't Have A Yandere Harem?! 50 years ago, rifts started to open around the world. Portals to other dimensions. And with their...
35.4K 2.3K 76
A spin on the classic tale of Heroes summoned to defeat the Demon Lord, only the main character is the Demon Lord... who is also one of the Heroes? M...
15.1K 430 33
"𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴? 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘧�...
63.1K 2K 42
Akemi was the most powerful immortal of another world. Why did I say "was"? Oh, because he's been reincarnated into the body of a powerless 16 year o...