A Thousand Times Enough

By ElyzaZibia

"๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ณ๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ..." ๐—œ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—บ๐—ฒ. ๐—œ ๐˜€๐—น๐—ผ๐˜„๐—น๐˜† ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ธ๏ฟฝ... More

๐’œ๐“Š๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“‡๐“ˆ ๐’ฉ๐‘œ๐“‰๐‘’
โ˜ฝ๐‚๐ก๐š๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐€๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ญ๐ข๐œ๐ฌโ˜พ
โ‹† Chapter 1 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 2 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 3 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 4 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 5 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 6 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 7 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 8 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 9 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 10 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 11 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 12 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 13 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 14 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 15 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 16 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 17 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 19 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 20 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 21โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 22 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 23 โ‹†
โ‹† Chapter 24 โ‹†
* Chapter 25 *
* Chapter 26 *
* Chapter 27 *
* Chapter 28 *
* Chapter 29 *
* Chapter 30 *
* Chapter 31 *
* Chapter 32 *
* Chapter 33 *
* Chapter 34 *
* Chapter 35 *
* Chapter 36 *
* Chapter 37 *
* Chapter 38 *
* Chapter 39 *
* Chapter 40 *
* Chapter 41 *
* Chapter 42 *
* Chapter 43 *
* Chapter 44 *

โ‹† Chapter 18 โ‹†

218 20 27
By ElyzaZibia

XVIII. • °

Yesterday after we got back from the mall Nadia made us watch a movie together. Usually, I would have gone off on my own to do my usual overthinking and wanting to be alone but I really didn't want to be alone yesterday.

I couldn't stop thinking about Kobe, no matter how many times they would tell me he wouldn't be upset, it wasn't about that. I knew that I should have just forgotten about the situation and went on like normal, but I slipped up and did something I wasn't proud of and it caused me to be a bad friend in the process. Making me feel terrible.

I decided to not even mention Silas and to try to stop thinking about him, he didn't want to be friends with me so the only thing I could do was just accept it.

Before getting out of bed I checked my phone and read the time, it was 6:40 am.

"Shit!" I blurted hurrying out of bed and towards the bathroom.

I was late, I was extremely late for school.

Nadia and Tessa must already be downstairs waiting on me, I wonder why they didn't wake me.

I was rushing to take a shower, it now has been so many times I have been late for school this semester.

I hopped out of the shower, quickly brushed my teeth, and got dressed. I threw my hair in a messy bun using my grey scrunchie that goes with anything, and it always compliments my brunette hair. I didn't have time to do anything else so I grabbed my shoes and bag and ran downstairs.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs I was hit by the strong aroma of breakfast and the immediate smell of bacon. I got to the kitchen and saw the refrigerator door being held open.

I sighed letting out a deep breath. "Really? You guys couldn't wake me up it's literally past seven we can't keep being late to school you guys heard what Mr.Dawson said."

The refrigerator door slowly closed and it wasn't Nadia or Tessa it was...

"Mrs. Vaughn, I mean Doria..." I spat out.

She let off a smile leaning up from the refrigerator door, "Good morning Josie, hope you slept well I'm making you girls some breakfast."

"Oh thank you but we're really la-"

"Do you like pancakes, bacon, and eggs?" Doria asked walking over to the counter and starting to fix a plate.

I came further into the kitchen and sat down on a stool at the island."Yeah, all sounds great."

She walked over and sat my plate down in front of me, it looked incredible and it smelled incredible too.

"Thank you," I say taking a bite of bacon. "I didn't know you were coming home today."

"Yeah, I uh got finished with all of my clients in the Colorado area so...back home for now." She says taking a seat next to me. "I didn't know you were staying here, Nadia never told me."

"Oh, I'm sorry... "

"No sweetie it's okay, you stay as long as you like, really." She says taking a sip of her coffee.

I took a few more bites of food before getting up. "This was all great thank you, I'm going to go find Nadia and Tess so we can head to school."

"What do you mean?" She paused letting out a laugh. "Sweetie...you know you don't have school today right? Today is the teacher conference."

I stood there for a moment baffled, I almost broke my leg running down the stairs thinking I was late for school. I had completely forgotten with all this madness going on that it was today before testing started.

"Thank goodness," I breathed feeling a weight being lifted off of my shoulders. "Is that why they aren't here?"

"They were up early this morning so I asked them to run a few errands for me they should be back soon. Do you want me to call them?" She asked while picking up her phone.

"No no, I just freaked out thinking I overslept but everything is fine now," I say taking a seat back down.

"Okay well, I'm glad you're up, I need your opinion on something." She got up and walked over to her purse pulling out something. "It's one of my latest sketches and I'm not sure if I should add more or if this is perfect."

She laid down a piece of thick paper that was a sketch of a beautiful white corset-like dress. It was a sleeveless, long skin tight dress, with a v-shape open chest area. Beading followed the design down to the sides of the dress stopping at the stomach area. The bottom of the dress consisted of a large flare with beading following the design stopping at the bottom. There was a separate picture of what the back of the dress would be like and it was an open-back dress.

"You...you drew this?" I asked in awe keeping my eyes fixed on the drawing.

"I did, do you like it? Do you think it needs more or do you think she will love it?"

"Doria...this is beautiful, everything is perfect. You design only dresses?"

"Thank you," She said letting off a smile. "And I design anything, I'm a fashion designer. But I'm a freelance fashion designer, I work for myself but that gives me the gift of being able to work with some very important clients of my choice like this one, this is her wedding dress."

I scoffed. "Wow...that's so cool I'm sure she would love it, it is really breathtaking."

"Thank you, that really means a lot...Nadia's dad used to give me insight into my designs before we both ventured off to get caught up with work. I never have time to ask Nadia with her being in school and all. But she used to love seeing me sketch my designs. She always has since she was a little girl." She slightly shrugged. "But I'm barely around anymore so I'm not really sure if it's something that still interests her."

I shook my head."Well, one thing is for sure she still is a girly girl and from what I learned about her...she loves fashion. I'm sure this would be something she would love just as much as I do."

"You know, I see why Nadia adores you, You're such a sweet kid." She paused. "Or should I say, young adult? Your seventeen right?"

"Yeah... I've been called kiddo for the longest now and I don't exactly like nicknames but my da-" I stopped at the sudden thought of him.

She looked up at me noticing my mood change."Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm okay," I say letting off a soft smile.

Just then we heard movement in the distance and trails of footsteps leading to the kitchen.

Nadia came in with bags in her hand piling them on the island."Jose, you're up we didn't want to wake you up so early this morning."

"Good thing I was here, she thought you girls had school this morning and thought ya'll were late," Doria said letting out a laugh.

"Sorry, Jose forgot to mention that we didn't have it today."

"No, it's cool, I should have known," I say but it was clear to me why I had forgotten.

Tessa entered the kitchen with more bags setting them down on the side of the island, "Oh, don't we all know. "You should have, it's one of the best times of the year...well besides spring break."

"Anyways..." Nadia trailed. "We have to think about what we're going to do today, any ideas?"

"Well...we can invite the boys over and go swimming? Maybe hit the beach?" Tessa asked taking a seat next to me on the stool.

Nadia shrugged, "I'm down for that and I just got this new bathing suit, Jose?"

I sighed looking down at the floor, "You guys might have to go without me, I have work today and I have to go. It's the only way I'll get paid Friday, I don't have any money here."

"Well sweetie all you have to do is ask, I have no problem giving you money. I'll start leaving Nadia extra allowance for the both of you," Doria added.

Nadia smiled at her mom."Yeah, that'll work, thanks mom,"

"What?" Tessa said showing a frown, "Well where is my allowance?"

"It's in my liquor cabinet isn't it?"

Tessa sat there with her mouth hung open, "I..."

We all laughed because it was hard not to, I had no idea she knew about Tess fondling with her liquor cabinet. But I guess it wasn't rocket science to figure it out.

I then grew astounded the longer I sat. She's offering to give me money...I've never had that. I forgot what it even felt like to be taken care of. I couldn't believe they were so welcoming to me, that they would offer to do something like this. But I couldn't accept it. I was already doing enough freeloading by living with them and I couldn't forgive myself if I took their money. But how could I be rude and say that to them? I didn't know what to say actually.

"Oh my god, look at this." Tessa blurted snapping me out of my thinking. She grabbed the sketch of the dress off the island that was lying on the side of me. "This is gorgeous, is this one of your latest sketches Doria?"

"Yes, it is," Doria answered.

Nadia walked over to where Tessa was looking at the sketch. "Woah...this is beautiful mom."

I slowly stood up from the stool making my way out of the kitchen, I was gonna rest before work. Before I left I looked back to see Doria smiling at me, I smiled back and made my way upstairs.

I laid in bed before finally dosing off. Since there was no school today I called my job to let them know I could come in early if needed because we were short on staff Andrea agreed.

Before I knew it, my alarm was going off waking me up so I could get ready. I got up, grabbed my work clothes, and headed for the bathroom.

When I was finished, I came out of Nadia's room and was on my way to the laundry room.

Before I got there I passed by another room upstairs and heard movement. The door was cracked open so I slightly peeked inside and saw no one. I stood there for a moment confused because I know I had just heard someone.

Before I could back away the door swung open.

A swift of air quickly hit me in the face, I batted my eyes a few times trying to readjust them before looking up in the doorway. "Damon?"

"Hey, did I wake you up or..." He trailed.

"No, no sorry I didn't know you were here I just heard something sorry If I interrupted-"

"No you're good, I was just finishing up here anyways." He says taking a seat at the desk.

"Oh, you're doing homework I'll leave you to focus," I say grabbing the doorknob.

He chuckled. "Yeah doing homework on my day off would be really shitty, and no I'm looking at this drum reference video to learn Billie Eilish's song Happier Than Ever so that I can do a cover of it."

I scoffed. "Damon, you're a drummer? I knew you were like cool but I didn't think you were that cool."

"Yeah uh...I like playing." He paused. "Hey uh, I was actually needing some advice on something I just learned last week, I have the video if you want to see it?"

I walked into the room and grabbed a nearby chair taking a seat next to him."Yeah, yeah of course."

He took out his phone and went to his photos playing the video. I have to admit, it was incredibly good. He looked so cool and his hair was blowing as he was drumming. The setup looked so good, he had a black background behind him and red lights going high lighting his face. It was nice seeing him do something he loved...other than cussing Kobe out.

"Damon...this is really good have you ever thought about doing this as a career like a professional drummer?" I asked still looking down at the video.

"Yeah, I would." He paused the video and put down his phone holding out his hands. "See the skull on my left hand...then on my right, I have a drum with the drumsticks through it. For me, it just symbolizes what I love and eventually, they'll all connect with other tattoos I'll get. Being everything that makes me...me I guess."

A smile grew upon my face."So...they're not just there to look cool?"

He shrugged."Partially, but everything should have a story behind it right?"

"Right." I paused. "So, is Kobe coming too?"

"Not sure, don't think so." He looked over at me. "So what was that at the lunch table yesterday?"

I looked down fiddling with my hands."Oh, just Tessa being Tessa I guess."

"Yeah... that's a way you can explain it." He paused. "But uh...yeah not sure if Kobe is coming and Silas is probably on his way here by now."

"What-"

"Jose! Can you come down here?" Nadia screamed from the bottom of the stairs.

I was startled to hear her yell so suddenly.

I got up from the chair heading over to the door.

"Hey, Josie?" Damon said causing me to look back at him. "You're not so bad, not so annoying I guess...but don't quote me on it."

I scoffed. "Not so annoying?"

He looked over at me."Like I said...don't quote me on it."

I let out a chuckle and went down the stairs to where Nadia was.

"Hey, you said you had to be at work right?" She asked walking away from the staircase.

"Uh yeah, it's...shit it's 3:30," I answered frantically starting to panic.

"It's okay calm down, but...Tessa can't take you right now." She trailed.

"What do you mean she can't drive me, oh my-" I started to pace back and forth. "I missed the bus then, the next bus doesn't come for another half hour."

She walked over to me grabbing me and holding me still."Jose, calm down, Tessa can't take you but...Silas can so I called him to take you to work and Tessa and I can pick you up."

I ran my fingers through my hair becoming frustrated."Are you kidding me? And everyone failed to tell me this? And it couldn't have been anyone else?"

"Jose listen, I didn't tell you because you wouldn't have agreed and...I like hate driving and Damon has to go take care of something for his mom, and Kobe..." She leaned in closer to me. "I don't think that's a good idea right now and yeah the only option is Silas. But it's going to be fine and he totally agreed to do it and...he's already outside."

"What the hell." I breathed. "You know what, fine, whatever, I have to go." I opened the door heading outside to Silas's car.

"Love you!" Nadia's muffled voice said as she closed the door behind me.

I slightly rolled my eyes.

Walking there was awkward, not because of what had happened between us at school but because walking to someone's car was always embarrassing. I reached his car door. I heard as he unlocked it from the inside and I opened the door and got in. He started his car up and began to drive down the street.

"You didn't have to take me, would've been fine with the bus." I spat out.

I was expecting him to be ready to have a shitty response but instead, he said nothing. It was as If I didn't say anything to him because he was completely unfazed. At least we wouldn't be arguing for once, I guess.

I reached for the dashboard, turning up the radio.

As I did he reached for it and turned it back down.

What an ass.

I ran to the restaurant's doors hoping I would make it on time. When I got inside I saw the clock read 4:05...five minutes late.

I dreaded going to the back in fear that Andrea would have my name swiped off the schedule telling me that I was fired.

I didn't want to make it any worse on myself so I sucked it up and went to the back to grab what I needed to get started...if I could.

"You're here," I heard behind me. I knew it definitely wasn't Andrea's voice.

"Dave," I say turning around and letting off a smile of great relief.

"Don't worry, Andrea went home early this morning and asked if I could take over so I've been here all day." He said walking over and taking a seat in his office.

"Dave..." I paused. "I'm sorry that I'm always late. Everything just...keeps coming up and keeps happening and...I don't mean to make it hard for you to keep saving me every time I mess up."

"Josie, really I understand." He paused. "Have a seat for a moment, take a minute to catch your breath."

I tried to calm down and took a seat as he suggested, I watched as my hands were shaking in my lap.

"I know some people won't understand or maybe it's out of their control but, things happen. Everything isn't in our control," He said letting out a scoff. "I wish I was told this when I was around your age."

"What do you mean?"

"There were a lot of times that I was in the state that you are right now, having a lot on my plate and trying my best but still...things were out of my control." He said taking a deep breath in, " There were many times that I had come in late when I was a teenager over things I couldn't help. Either my mother couldn't take me or my father was just too high to notice that his son needed his attention, his help. I lost jobs continuously, and I didn't have money to ride the bus to work because I kept losing my job.

"I didn't have anyone. But eventually, my uh uncle, had this station wagon just rotting away in his driveway. Work needed to be done on it, he didn't want to get it fixed or work on it...so I offered to fix it up. I did, and he was kind enough to give me that car. I kept going and it all worked out in the end. And you have that in you...the will to keep going and that's what matters. And that's why, I don't want to see you go because as hard as life is...sometimes all you need is for someone to understand. "

"Your uncle was so kind for that." I paused. " And I'm really sorry you had to go through all of that Dave. And I thank you a lot for everything and for giving me all these chances that I really don't deserve...and thank you for telling me this story."

"Stop that, you deserve the world." He sighed. "But I need to talk to you, it's really starting to become hard for this place. I don't know how we're going to find more people for hiring especially now because of Jackson, we're running short on staff."

"Because of Jackson?" I stood in the doorway looking at him. "Why because of Jackson?"

He looked up at me confused. "Jackson...is resigning soon he's moving out of state."

I felt like a ton of needles had just stabbed me in my chest. Jackson...is leaving? He never told me, and now...he's leaving.

"You didn't know? Sorry, I thought he would have talked to you about it by now since you guys are so close."

"How long have you known?" I asked.

"Since last month, but I'm sure there's a reason he didn't tell you so don't be upset with him-"

"No." I interrupted. "There's no reason, for him to not tell me, I thought he would never do something like this without at least telling me. Dave until he's gone, please try to keep us off the same schedule, I don't want to see him."

I grabbed my hair net, put it on, and went out to the front.

-𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗴𝘂𝘆𝘀? :)

-

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264 29 34
"Your hair is full of snow," He chuckled as he looked at her, reaching out to push a strand of hair behind her ear. Some snow successfully fell off...
12.2K 910 58
An internal voice told me to "call him," but I chose not to. I dismissed it once more, saying, "He never liked me anyway." I am stuck in my dilemma...
304 68 27
แด€ แด„แดษชษดแด„ษชแด…แด‡ษดแด›แด€สŸ แดแด‡แด‡แด› แด›แดœส€ษดs ษชษดแด›แด แด€ แดœษดแด‹ษดแดแดกษชษดษข สŸแดแด แด‡ ส™แดœแด› แด…แด‡แด‡แด˜แด‡ษดษชษดษข ษชษดแด›แด แด›สœแด‡ า“แด€แด„แด›s แดแด€แด‹แด‡s แด›สœแด‡แด....... .......า“ษชษดแด… แดแดœแด›.. As it continues.....๐™ธ...
9.6K 570 108
Everyone knows him or..at least they think they do. Underneath all of his layers there's things only him and his family knows. No it's not about his...