Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Part 1: Tokyo Expo

1.4K 19 4
By KageNishi

Tokyo World EXPO'100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Japan has fallen into the chaos of near-future sci-fi and magical fantasy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 27, 2100

Off the coast of Suruga Bay, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japanese Empire

It is the final year of the 21st century, and in the Far East of Asia, there is a country enjoying the height of its prosperity. The name of the country is the "Japanese Empire," a constitutional monarchy with the world's oldest history under the imperial dynasty. Far off the coast of Suruga Bay, which can be seen from the Tokaido Highway, a huge megafloat has been constructed that could be mistaken for a small island. On top of the megafloat stood a futuristic glass structure, and on the coast of the megafloat, a port facility has been constructed for the berthing of numerous gigantic ships.

"Soon we will arrive in Tokyo... I repeat, Tokyo. The exit is on the left. Thank you for your long-distance travel. Please make sure you don't forget your belongings..."

A huge ship flew in from the sky above and slowly landed on the ocean, making white waves as it landed on the sea surface. The ship then berthed at Berth 12 of the Tokyo Harbor. The main engine, a small fusion reactor, ceased operation, and the starboard door opened once the ramp was lowered. This huge offshore port facility is a spaceport for the takeoff and landing of reusable ships that travel between Earth and space. Two men came down from the first-class cabin of the ship, which had left the Lunar City and flown to Earth after half a day's flight.

"We're here at last."

"Yeah... but we made it just in time."

The two men put their feet up in Japan for the first time in a long time. Their names are Michio Juen and Jyozo Sena, two police officers who had been transferred from the Japanese National Police Agency to the security agency of the Lunar City. After completing their secondment, they returned here to take up their posts in Japan.

"I'm heading to Tokyo right now. What about you?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow. I'll stay at a hotel here until then."

Juen asked Sena while looking at his wristwatch, while Sena answered while stretching out his back. After that, the two parted at the arrival lobby, Juen going to the pier to catch a ship to Tokyo and Sena going to the hotel on the megafloat.

At the end of the 21st century, human space development was advancing much faster than predicted at the beginning of the same century. The 'great development' that accelerated the pace of space exploration and made it a reality occurred in Japan in the middle of the 21st century. These were the discovery of the graviton and its manipulation and the practical application of nuclear propulsion, including nuclear fusion.

In addition, Japan has advanced to the moon and is also advancing its Mars development plan by making full use of things such as genetically engineered plants that grow and photosynthesize in the harsh environment of another planet's soil, and transport and fighter aircraft that can travel between space and the atmosphere, all of which we are not even sure where they were obtained. The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) was dissolved as the "Ministry of Space Development" and has overtaken NASA as the world leader in space development.

Furthermore, the Japanese government has monopolized space development by keeping these technologies out of reach. In addition, the government has been conducting research and development of untapped mineral resources from the moon's surface and near-Earth asteroids, which it regards as a 'lifeline for the future'. Therefore, all bases and cities built on extraterrestrial bodies were constructed by the Japanese government, and all are under its control.

. . .

Same day

National Police Agency, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo

After parting with Sena, Juen visited the National Police Agency Building. He is a police bureaucrat who entered the National Police Agency after passing the National Civil Service Exam. He had been transferred to the police headquarters in the Lunar colony as a passing grade on his way up to the career ladder, and upon his return to Japan, it was decided that he would be promoted to the post of chief inspector and then to the post of section chief in the Metropolitan Police Department.

"Excuse me!"

Juen nervously entered the room of the Chief of NPA's Criminal Investigation Bureau. When he opened the door, he opened the chief of the Criminal Investigation Bureau, Kodai Nakahara, sitting in a chair waiting for him.

"Oh, you're here... thank you for your six months of extraterrestrial service, I'll give you the next letter of appointment right away."

Nakahara handed a document to Juen. The following short sentence was written on it.

"Michio Juen, the aforementioned person is promoted to the rank of chief inspector and appointed as section chief of Section 7, Investigation Division 4, Criminal Investigation Bureau, Metropolitan Police Department.

'...Investigation Division 4?'

Juen tilted his head when he read the contents of the letter. Before he was transferred to the Lunar Colony, he had heard that he would be assigned to the Investigation Division 2, which handles money and intelligence crimes.

"About two weeks ago, the section chief there, Chief Inspector Kaoru Chitose, was killed in the line of duty. You were chosen to take his place," Nakahara explained the change.

"I understand! I will do my best to fulfill my duties!"

"Yes, I'm looking forward to it..."

Juen accepted the appointment letter with a salute. After that, he left the National Police Agency and returned to his home to take a brief rest before going to work the next day. However, he had no idea that he would later face a major incident that would shake the nation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 28

Metropolitan Police Department, Sakurada Gate, Chiyoda Ward

The Metropolitan Police Department's Criminal Investigation Bureau is responsible for investigating criminal offenses that occur in Tokyo. The Criminal Investigation Division 4, which was newly established in 2042, is in charge of 'magical and demi-human offenses.' In other words, it is in charge of crimes involving demi-humans, their blood relatives, and magic, whether they are violent crimes, organized crimes, or crimes of intelligence.

It all started 60 years ago, in 2040, on the day Japan returned to Earth from another world, bringing inhabitants of that other world to Earth. When crimes involving magic and demi-humans began to appear, the Japanese government established a specialized agency to deal with them for the first time. This was the Investigation Division 4.

"Today is the day the new section chief arrives, isn't it?"

"He's a young semi-career guy, right? I wonder if he's up to it..."

"Don't say that... and don't bully him, okay?"

"He won't be here forever anyway. After six months, he will return to the NPA."

One of the sections that make up Investigation Division 4, the Violent Crime Investigation Section 7 is in charge of murders, assaults, and sex crimes involving magic and demi-humans. The post has been vacant for a long time due to the death of the section chief, but today a new one is finally transferred from the National Police Agency. The staff was talking about the new section chief.

Soon a young man carrying a cardboard box entered the office, and the members of Section 7 rose from their chairs to greet him in a respectful manner as he made his way to the section chief's desk. The young man placed the box on the desk and spoke to the staff members facing him.

"My name is Michio Juen, and as of today, I have been appointed chief of Section 7. I hope to build a good relationship with all of you in my short time here."

Juen bowed toward his new subordinates as he spoke. After completing his greeting, he patted his chest in relief. Then one of the staff members came up to him.

"Welcome to Section 7, I am Seishiro Tamura. Sorry for the early appointment, Chief... I'll be there as soon as I can."

His name is Seishiro Tamura, and he is an inspector in charge of Section 7. He appears to be an ordinary young man in his mid-30s, but his blood contains half of the blood of Domeki (Hundred-Eyes Demon), a demi-human race. He can make eyes appear all over his body and is able to fly them remotely.

"There... where?"

"Of course... to the World Expo."

Japan is about to host an international event. The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department is currently allocating personnel for a security plan for the event, and Investigation Division 4 is also involved in the security plan, as it is in charge of crimes committed by magic and demi-humans. The two then headed for the Neo Bayside Waterfront District located offshore in Tokyo Bay.

Planned Site for Tokyo World Exposition, Neo Bayside Waterfront District, Koto Ward, Tokyo

The Neo Bayside Waterfront District is an expansion and development of an artificial island formerly known as the Central Breakwater Landfill. From 2100, the last year of the 21st century, to 2101, the first year of the 22nd century, a festival will be held here to celebrate the dawn of the 22nd century. The name of the event, which opens in three days, is Tokyo World EXPO'100, one of the largest international events of our time, with more than 50 countries, over 100 companies, and nine international organizations exhibiting their pavilions under the theme "Dawn of a New Century." And on this day, Juen and Tamura visited the Expo site before it opened to finalize the security plan for the venue.

"American Pavilion, Russian Pavilion... Korean Pavilion, Taiwanese Pavilion. How did so many participating countries gather?"

With a pamphlet in hand, Juen looked around the pavilions, which were making final preparations for the opening of the Expo in three days. In these times when almost the entire world is a war zone, it was no exaggeration to say that gathering as many as 50 participating countries is a great achievement.

"Can't afford to cause the Japanese government any displeasure..." Tamura, accompanying Juen, commented.

In this chaotic era of the late 21st century, there are now only a few countries that can host international events such as the World Expo and the Olympics, and Japan has hosted three consecutive World Cups two, six, and ten years ago, and five consecutive Summer Olympics, including this year. The Winter Olympics were held irregularly, and that too mostly in Japan after 2050.

Seventy-six years after the East Asia War, in which mainland China and the Korean Peninsula were the battlefields, the global economy collapsed due to the Great Recession caused by the fall of China and the disappearance of Japan, and all order and values crumbled into chaos.

In Europe, the intensifying conflict between Muslim immigrants and whites has led to many riots, and many formerly developed countries have fallen into a state of anarchy. In North America, there has been a series of armed uprisings by unemployed workers, Hispanic immigrants, and Chinese immigrants, and in Russia, the federation has been virtually split up by the intensifying independence movements of various ethnic and autonomous republics. In Latin America and Africa, the rapid deterioration of economic conditions has led to a resurgence of rebel and anti-social organizations, and the word "security" has lost its meaning. In the Middle East, West Asia, and Central Asia, the collapse of oil prices has made it impossible to maintain finances, and the aftermath of the ethnic conflict in Russia, combined with the presence of armed groups, has plunged almost all of these regions into a state of civil strife. China, needless to say, has become so divided that it has been called a modern-day Sixteen Kingdoms Period, and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has no power to contain it.

In addition, after 2036, nuclear weapons were used locally as a means of containing the conflict, and the bombed areas and their surroundings were contaminated by radioactive materials. Although it was not a nuclear winter, radioactive dust was spread around the world, causing a worldwide crop failure.

Thus, the 21st century has become an era in which the majority of the world's population lives in conflict and ethnic strife, driven by greed amidst poverty and hunger. There are only a handful of countries that have remained unaffected by global conflicts and still manage to maintain the façade of a nation. Japan is the only country in the world that can be said to be ruled by the rule of law, and that is the "Japanese Empire."

"This is the JNSS Pavilion... probably the most popular one."

Tamura pointed to a large pavilion in the Japan area. JNSS stands for "Japanese National Spaceline of Solar System," a public corporation that operates Japan's national spacecraft. It is an important transportation network connecting the Earth, Moon, and near-Earth asteroids. The development of space vessels has made space travel accessible to the general public, and in addition to Japanese researchers, people from all over the world who do not want to live on a crapsack world that is planet Earth have settled in bases and cities on the Moon in exchange of Japanese citizenship, as a model case of space immigration.

Having succeeded in copying some of the technology used in the Fusō, a flying battleship from the 28th century, the Japanese government quickly extended the scope of its activities beyond the Earth. The Japanese government and JNSS are the exclusive providers of these technologies, which are coveted by countries all over the world. While the leaders of these countries are demanding the technology, spies from China, Russia, India, Korea, and the United States are working diligently to seize its secrets.

"Graviton control and nuclear fusion are core technologies that support our nation's space program. If the pavilion is to be used as an exhibition of these technologies, it will attract people... there is a strong possibility that it will become a target of terrorism."

Juen was concerned about the current situation in Japan, which is the envy and jealousy of the world. The two then entered the JNSS Pavilion. They checked the location of surveillance cameras and places where hazardous materials could easily be placed, and using Tamura's ability as a Domeki, they examined the ceiling and the shadows of the pillars to see if there were any suspicious objects but found nothing unusual.

They then visited the Corporate Pavilion, where large and small Japanese companies and public institutions exhibited, the International Pavilion, where governments, international organizations, and state and city governments exhibited, the restaurant area, and the venue for the opening ceremony. As an event celebrating the dawn of the 22nd century, the budget spent and the scale of the venue were far greater than those of previous Expos.

"...There seems to be nothing unusual. This will allow us to have a safe opening ceremony."

Juen patted his chest. The sun was setting in the west by the time they had finished looking around the Expo site before the opening ceremony. Afterwards Juen and Tamura returned to the main office and reported the details of their investigation to the Chief of the Investigation Division. All that remained was to wait for the opening ceremony.

The opening ceremony will be attended by the current Prime Minister, Yuuma Hashida, as well as the Head of State, His Majesty the Emperor, and his family. Security will be even tighter at the opening ceremony, which will be attended by the Emperor, who holds the largest sphere of influence in Asia. The closing ceremony will be attended by the younger brother of the current Emperor, and the BIE flag will be handed over to the Mayor of Perth, Australia, the next venue.

Thus, preparations for the Tokyo Expo were proceeding smoothly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 29

Urayasu City, Chiba Prefecture 

A group of foreign nationals has been sneaking into a theme park that has been abandoned for more than 30 years. They are dressed in costumes reminiscent of an armed organization, and the way they are cleaning their weapons, they do not look like proper tourists.

They are in a building in an area that resembles the scenery of a southern European port town in the early 20th century. Naturally, this theme park is off-limits due to the threat of collapse, and all the hotels that were built around it are now closed. This theme park was closed for various reasons, but the main reason was due to the aging of the entire park, and a new resort was to be built in 2070 on an artificial island between Wakasu and Tekkofuto.

"...Ah, it's you."

A man in an expensive-looking suit appeared at the base of the armed group located in the closed theme park. The men who were cleaning their weapons turned to him at once.

"...How are the preparations coming along?"

"We're all set. All we need now is your information."

The man in the suit, who appeared to be the leader of the armed group, answered the man's question. The man in the suit let out a short snort and threw a stack of documents on the table.

"This is the security plan for the opening ceremony of the Expo. And your fake ID cards... you will use them to enter the Expo site as Japanese Netmedia crew members."

The document was a security plan for the opening ceremony of the Tokyo World Expo, which the Metropolitan Police Department, the security in charge of the Expo, has kept out of the public domain.

"...I wonder if it really works?"

The leader of the group took the ID card provided by the man in the suit and stared at it dubiously.

"No problem... it's you I'm more worried about. It's all about how to get those dangerous weapons and bombs into the venue undetected."

"I know, I won't screw up... our country's revival is at stake. If we can obtain the technology of nuclear fusion and graviton manipulation, our country can once again become a major power in Asia. The Japanese can only look so big."

The leader is filled with determination. With the opening of the World Expo looming, a malicious plot was about to begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 31, 18:00

Expo Memorial Stadium, World Expo Site, Koto Ward, Tokyo 

On the last Halloween night of the 21st century, the curtain will finally rise on a major event that will attract attention from around the world. Fireworks were displayed around the Expo Memorial Stadium, the centerpiece of the Expo site built in the Neo Bayside Waterfront District. The opening ceremony of the Tokyo World EXPO'100, which celebrated the arrival of the 22nd century under the theme "Dawn of a New Century," was underway. The country, which is normally semi-enclosed to the rest of the world, has relaxed its visa issuance standards significantly during international events.

In addition to Prime Minister Yuma Hashida, the dignitaries' seats included Foreign Minister Jiro Minematsu, Defense Minister Akira Shimazaki, Space Development Minister Shota Nanba, Tokyo Governor Seiichi Ishikawa, Japanese Armed Forces' Army Field Marshal Shinya Kamiyamada, and executives from the major corporations exhibiting in the pavilions. And in the guest seats were the leaders of various countries, including the President of China, the President of Korea, the President of the Russian Federation, the President of the United States of America, and representatives of ASEAN. The general seats were filled with Japanese citizens who had purchased tickets.

"...!!"

A live performance by the Japanese Army's Central Band begins. At the same time, the Emperor and Empress, their eldest daughter, the Imperial Princess (honorary president of the Tokyo Expo), and other members of the Imperial Family attending the event were seated in special seats at the top of the auditorium. By the way, they have another child, the prince, who was born four months ago and did not attend the event.

Around the special seats were soldiers of the Imperial Guard Division, a unit under the direct command of the Imperial Household, who were guarding the Emperor, Empress, and the Princess.

"The dawn of the 22nd century is only two months away... the time to leave the chaotic 21st century is approaching. Now is the time to pray for the prosperity of the next 100 years for mankind. I, Wataru Kanzaki, will be the MC for the opening ceremony."

On a small platform in the center of the stadium, NHK announcer Kanzaki, the MC, delivered his speech. Immediately after that, the entire venue was enveloped in a three-dimensional holographic illumination, transforming the stadium into a deep forest with a motif of Yakushima Island.

While the audience was buzzing, the Central Band, which had finished changing costumes before the audience knew it, began to play the next song, a song that seemed to lament the environment of the Earth, contaminated by radiation, giving the audience a sense of sadness. The holograms changed one after another from forest to desert to sea as the music changed, fascinating the audience. Soon after, the performance ended and the stadium returned to its usual state.

Soon after, spotlights illuminated the three hoists located above the scoreboard. The national flag, the BIE flag, and the Expo flag were flown from each of the hoists. The spotlight then moved to just below the hoists illuminating a man who had somehow appeared.

"Masatake Kiyoshi, Secretary General of the Tokyo International Exposition Association, will be giving the opening speech."

Kiyoshi waved his hand toward the audience as he was introduced by MC Kanzaki. He pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and read the address on it.

"Following the Okayama Summer Olympics held in July of this year, we are pleased to welcome the opening of the Tokyo World EXPO'100 to celebrate the dawn of the 22nd century. I am deeply grateful to the 54 countries and regions from around the world, 9 international organizations, 47 local governments, and more than 100 companies from Japan that are participating in this Expo, and to the international community and the people of Japan for their great efforts that have enabled us to successfully open the Expo. The 21st century, the era to which we will soon bid farewell, has sadly become an era of constant conflict and ethnic strife, resulting in the shedding of much blood. The theme of this Expo, Dawn of the 22nd Century, is intended to remember this sadness and at the same time to connect hope for the future. In my opening remarks, I would like to express my hope that this Expo will be a source of hope for the future of Earth and mankind as we enter the 22nd century."

Kiyoshi's words were met with thunderous applause from the audience. The spotlight then moved on to the guests' seats, where the heads of state and other people involved with the Expo were seated. The first person to be illuminated was a white male in a dress code.

"Next, we would like to introduce our distinguished guests. From left, Mister James Schulle, Chairman of Bureau International des Expositions (BIE)... Chairman of the Expo Association, Naotaro Kobayashi-sama... Governor of Tokyo, Seiichi Ishikawa-sama... Prime Minister of Japan, Yuuma Hashida-sama..."

The names of the VIPs seated in the guests' seats were read out. Those whose names were called rose from their seats each time and bowed to the crowd. After the introduction of the guests, the Army's Central Band began to play again, the third piece being Holst's "Jupiter," the fourth piece from his suite "The Planets," with the well-known intro pleasantly penetrating the ears.

The stadium was once again enveloped by a hologram, and a 3D image of an infinite, expanding macrocosm was projected in the air, making the people feel as if they were thrown into the universe. Afterwards people noticed that an ice rink had been set up on the stadium grounds. On the rink, which seemed to float in the starry sky, Sakura Hagino, the gold medalist in figure skating at the Aomori Winter Olympics held two years ago, was dancing on the ice to the song. Everyone was transfixed by the world queen's magnificent performance.

'These days, the Japanese government is a very wasteful spender... when it comes to spending so much money on sports and other things.'

'Peace...? Hope...? Those words are meaningless in this era.'

The reaction from some guests, however, was cold: many saw the Expo, billed as a celebration of the dawn of the 22nd century and the largest-budgeted event in history, as nothing more than the Japanese government being a show-off and showcasing their financial and national power. They are waiting for their own spies to steal fusion and graviton technology from Japan as soon as possible.

Soon after, the performance of Jupiter was over, and the World Queen, who had performed, was lavishly applauded. The opening ceremony then turned into an artistic performance. A huge float appeared in the stadium with numerous performers in a wide variety of costumes. On the south side of the stadium, the background music was switched from the Central Band to a group of civilian artists, who played Japanese-style, yet somehow exotic tunes using folk instruments from around the world.

The performers were dancing to the rhythm of the dance, moving slowly through the stadium. They were dressed in costumes reminiscent of the mythical age that began with the creation of the heavens and earth. And the float that stopped inside the stadium was itself transforming into various shapes by being clothed in 3D images. Starting from Kunimigaoka and Izumo Grand Shrine, Ise Shrine, Fushimi Inari Grand Shrine, Byodoin Temple, Azuchi Castle, Nikko Tosho-gu, the industrial heritage of the Meiji Restoration, Tokyo during the period of rapid economic growth, and modern Tokyo... with solemn music and dances of the performers, the float and the stadium itself changed one after another into the scenery symbolizing each era of Japan and ran through it. The performers also changed their costumes one after another to match the changes in the float.

"Fantastic...! Best show of the century!"

President of the Republic of Hong Kong, Chen Long-rong, offered generous words of praise for the performance, which made full use of Japanese visual technology and creativity. He, along with the leaders of Tibet and the East Turkestan Republic, was enjoying the opening ceremony from the bottom of their heart. After that, the stadium was once again turned into a bright light. The float that was supposed to be in the center of the stadium was suddenly gone, and the performers who had just performed had gathered to form a single path.

"How was the historical and traditional performance that brought together the best of our country's visual technology? We will now move on to the introduction of the countries, organizations, and companies participating in the Tokyo Expo."

After a long time, the MC's announcement echoed. Then, from the entrance gate on the south side of the stadium, junior high and high school students from Tokyo entered with flags of participating countries and organizations. They all marched with carefree smiles on their faces. The United Nations (UN) flag led the way, followed by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), European Union (EU), African Union (AU), Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), Pacific Islands Federation (PIF), Arab League, Central Asian Federation, and International Red Cross and Red Crescent.

The first country to enter as a nation was the United States of America: six students entered the stadium carrying a large Stars and Stripes flag. The flag of the Argentine Republic was next. The flags of the participating countries entered the stadium one after another.

East Gate near the Tokyo Gate Bridge

While the opening ceremony was going smoothly, members of the Expo Security Force, jointly organized by a private security company and the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, were deployed at the entrances and exits of the Expo site, including the East Gate. Among them are officers from Investigation Division 4, which specializes in counterterrorism measures against demi-human and magical attacks. There are also members of Section 7 led by Juen, including Seishiro Tamura, and his partner Daigo Rokutani. Also, Ryo Hozumi, also a member of Section 7, is waiting at the Northwest Gate near the Second Passage undersea tunnel.

"Inspector Tamura! We received a report of eerie moaning in the restroom near the East Gate."

"...Moan? Okay, I'll be right away."

A young officer from the Security Division of the Security Bureau reported to Tamura about a certain call. In order to nip the suspicion in the bud, Tamura headed for the restroom where the crime scene was located, accompanied by riot police and an autonomous security robot.

Southeast Side of the Expo Site, Desert Area (Asia)

The restroom was a public zone located near the Asia Area. Tamura and his team approached the restroom without making a sound, and together with five riot police, he hid in the shadow of the Republic of China Pavilion and activated his hundred eyes ability. The eye appeared in Tamura's palm and flew toward the restroom.

"........."

Tamura asked what was going on inside the toilet through the eye. There was an unbelievable sight.

"Listen, all of you! A TV crew from... Touhou Denshi is being held inside the toilet!"

"!!"

Hearing Tamura's words, the other officers and riot police were startled. Touhou Denshi Communication was the name of an online media outlet in Japan. After that, they rushed to the public restroom to rescue a TV crew member who had been detained and left there. Tamura then informed the man in control of all Expo security of this incident.

Expo Memorial Stadium

At that time, the opening ceremony had already finished with the introduction of the participating countries, and the congratulatory address was being delivered by Chairman James Schulle of the BIE. After reading his congratulatory address, James was seated to applause, and the opening ceremony proceeded to the final agenda.

"His Majesty the Emperor will now deliver his words."

The grand opening ceremony of the Expo is brought to a close with the opening proclamation by the Emperor, the Japanese Empire's head of state. The atmosphere at the venue is tense as a spotlight shone on the special seats occupied by members of the Imperial Family. Kenyuu Riyoshi, head of the Security Bureau of the Metropolitan Police Department, who is in overall charge of security at the Expo, watched the ceremony from his seat, where the heads of state and government are seated.

"Emergency call! This is Tamura in charge of East Gate of the Asia Area!"

At that moment, the micro radio attached to Riyoshi's ear transmitted an urgent message. It was from Tamura.

"What is it, Inspector Tamura?"

"A TV crew from Touhou Denshi Communication was found detained in a public restroom in Asian Area No. 5! We have already rescued them, but they are all badly injured!"

"...What!? That's impossible!" Riyoshi exclaimed in shock.

He was shocked because all the visitors had been confirmed at this opening ceremony, and of course, all domestic and foreign TV crews had also been confirmed to have entered this stadium.

"...!!"

Riyoshi looked at the media space located on the opposite side of the guest seats and special seats. Then he noticed that the TV crew of Touhou Denshi Communication, which had been there earlier, was gone.

"Could it be...!?"

Assuming the worst, Riyoshi quickly got up from his chair to go to the security room where the surveillance cameras were being controlled. At the same time, the Emperor announced the opening of the Expo.

"I hope that this Expo will be a source of hope for mankind on Earth, and I hereby proclaim the opening of the Tokyo World EXPO'100!"

Immediately after that, a huge number of confettis flew into the air, and the crowd cheered. Then, 20.000 fireworks were shot off, marking the opening of the last World Expo of the 21st century and the first of the 22nd century.

...Or it was what was supposed to happen. But instead of fireworks, what exploded was a dull explosion, a red flash, and a huge plume of black smoke.

BOOOM...! BOOM!!

"AAAAAAH!!"

Explosions occurred everywhere in the Expo hall, and each time they occurred, the stadium shook violently. The cheers quickly turned to screams, and around 60.000 spectators were in a panic.

"Protect the guests! Lead them out the emergency exit!"

"Yes, sir!!"

Riyoshi gave the order to his direct subordinates, or security police (SP), who were stationed around the guests' seats. At the special seats, soldiers of the Imperial Guard Division had already begun to evacuate the members of the Imperial Family, including the Emperor.

. . .

Investigation Division 4 Section 7 Office, Metropolitan Police Department, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo

The opening ceremony was being broadcasted live by NHK, and several members of Section 7, including Juen, were watching it on the TV in their office.

"...What the!?"

However, the helicopter was showing images of the spectacular opening ceremony, which had turned into a disastrous Expo site with flames and smoke rising from explosions everywhere and people panicking. All the Japanese people watching the TV, including Juen and others present at the event, held their breath.

. . .

Expo Memorial Stadium

Panicked people rushed to the exits at once. Some men were watching them and grinned.

"Commence operation...!"

They took off the Touhou Denshi Communication caps they wore on their heads and picked up automatic rifles they had hidden in the case that held their television equipment. The celebration of the dawn of the 22nd century opened in the worst possible way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 430 33
"𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴? 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘧�...
1.7M 112K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...
22.5K 386 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...
13.8K 674 119
Reincarnation of the strongest sword god fanfic when Shi Feng return to the beginning after fighting for ten years in greater God's domain