AGAINST THE TIDE Book #2

بواسطة jmhallewell

Marcelle and Vittoria are on a path that challenges their union and choice to be in love. Will they cave into... المزيد

Author's Note
Cast
Prologue
Chapter One: For Love
Chapter Two: Locked Doors
Chapter Three: Incompetence
Chapter Four: Succumbing
Chapter Five: An Admission
Chapter Six: It's A Sin
Chapter Seven: Intention
Chapter Eight: Ex Wife
Chapter Nine: Aged Fine Wine
Chapter Ten: Untold Secrets Part 1
Chapter Eleven: Understanding
Chapter Twelve: An Older Friend
Chapter Thirteen: The Sister
Chapter Fourteen: The Siblings
Chapter Fifteen: The Bid
Chapter Sixteen: Si Signor
Chapter Seventeen: She Loves Me
Chapter Eighteen: He Loves Me Too!
Chapter Nineteen: Labelled
Chapter Twenty: Reactions
Chapter Twenty One: Silence
Chapter Twenty Two: Solved
Chapter Twenty Three: Precedence
Chapter Twenty Four: Untold Secrets Part 2
Chapter Twenty Five: In Marseilles Part 1
Chapter Twenty Six: In Marseilles Part 2
Chapter Twenty Seven: Rehab
Chapter Twenty Eight: The Parents
Chapter Twenty Nine: Welcome Home
Chapter Thirty: Home Is Best
Chapter Thirty One: The Hit
Chapter Thirty Two: Messages For You
Chapter Thirty Three: Transition
Chapter Thirty Four: Her Jealousy Part 1
Chapter Thirty Five: She's Back
Chapter Thirty Six: Little Diavolo
Chapter Thirty Seven: It's Personal
Chapter Thirty Nine: Her sisters
Chapter Forty: Her Jealousy Part 2
Chapter Forty One: A Good Day?
Chapter Forty Two: Unexpected
Chapter Forty Three: Red Part 1
Chapter Forty Four: Red Part 2
Chapter Forty Five: Love Me Forever
Chapter Forty Six: A Good Streak
Chapter Forty Seven: A Dream
Chapter Forty Eight: Wake Up Dear
Chapter Forty Nine: The Parking Lot Beef
Chapter Fifty: Too Many Hands
Chapter Fifty One: The Mothers
Chapter Fifty Two: Bickering Pair
Chapter Fifty Three: Love Me Forever Part 1
Chapter Fifty Four: Love Me Forever Part 2
Chapter Sixty: Love Me Forever Part 3
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Eight: Ciao Chica

441 67 57
بواسطة jmhallewell

Vienna's POV
"I need to tell you guys something."

These are not the kind of words I like to say or even be told. The previous involves a confession and I suck at those. The latter could mean a revelation I'm not willing or ready to hear. Still, we all come to this point where we say those words to someone.

I asked my family to come visit me. At first only Vicar showed up. Vicar and I may have our indifferences but he shows up for me. He hanged around, visiting for two days before Viola showed up. The one who took another three days because of her subtle stubbornness is Verna.

"Well bloody say it!" Verna snapped at me.

"It's about Vittoria."

Vicar became more alert. "What about her?"

"I lied to all of you. I have been lying for years. I had an affair when I was married to your father. The product of that affair is Vittoria."

Now I can breathe. The hardest part is to say it but now it's out there.

They are too quiet.

"What?" Viola asked me. "That Italian girl is your daughter?"

Verna burst out laughing. She's pointing at Vicar's pale face. "Bloody hell! You were into her, weren't you? This must come as a shocker to you!"

"Into her?" I frowned. "What do you mean Verna?"

"What do you expect when you introduce a beautiful young woman to him and you don't tell him she is his bloody sister? What do you expect mother? We're you waiting for a bloody scandal before you come clean?"

"Verna that is enough! Stop airing out dirty laundry and sit down!" Viola reprimanded her.

I looked around. The other patients are staring at us.

"I didn't know you have feelings for her." I reached out for Vicar's hand but he pulled it away.

"I don't have feelings for her." He denied it. "I feel nothing for her." There's a level of fear on his eyes.

"Good. That's good because I would like it if she became part of our lives-"

"Are you serious?" Verna asked me. "So that we can be one big bloody happy family? You know what? I didn't sit through hours of flight to listen to this. You guys are hard enough to deal with."

She stormed off in a fit.

"She broke up with her boyfriend. She's not okay." Viola explained. "Have you told Vittoria?"

"She figured it out. She came to confront me. It didn't end well."

"Where has she been all these years?" Viola asked me.

"In an orphanage. I left her with a nun in Naples, Italy. She raised her in an orphanage."

"Bloody hell mom. What did you do? That is cruel. That is even above my kind of cruelty! And how old is she?"

"Twenty five."

"So for 25 bloody years you have lied? You are absolutely unbelievable!" She got up and also left.

When tbe giros walk out it's always Vicar and I who remain. Eventually it's just me but I appreciate his patience with me over the years. He reached across the table to take my hands. "No wonder you have been drinking. Your conscience must have been bothering you. Whatever you want to do next, I'll support you. I promise."

"Thank you. I have a few more weeks here and then I promise I'll stop being such a trainwreck. I'll be a good mother to her and all of you."

"I believe we all need that." He gave me a small smile.

Vittoria's POV
Spending some time with my father in Rome has done me good. I feel so happy to be tethered to something solid. I have a father! He loves me! I love him! He has filled a lot of emptiness in me. I finally have a sense of identity. He even asked if I could change my name to Vittoria Tancredi. I agreed and we went through an official name change while I was in Italy.

But now I'm back to the palace I looked forward to living in, but now it doesn't feel like home because of Nerina. She's been playing wicked little jokes on me that are not funny. She cuts holes in my clothes. She put liquid shoe polish in my lotions. She put bleach in my my shampoo. The list is endless. It's like I'm in school and I'm being bullied.

I don't tell Marcelle because I really don't want to trouble him with it. She's a little sweetheart when she's with her father. It is hard to believe she's the same girl.

I entered the quiet house. It's a school day so I'm guaranteed she's not here. Damian carried my bags upstairs as I made my way to the kitchen to green Lupe. I bought a gift for her. It's a cashmere scarf. She loves cashmere.

I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a kiss. All of Marcelle's sisters hug and kiss her. Even Marcelle dies it and I have decided I'll do it too. "Oh! What has made you this happy?" She poked me playfully.

"I had an amazing time in Roma with my father!" I exclaimed. "I have pictures. Do you want to see?"

"Show me." She leaned close to look at the pictures on my phone. "You two look so happy! How is he?"

"Fully recovered. He has divorced his wife. I hear she was banned from Italy by the Mafia."

"Fittingly so. But divorce isn't easy even if it's necessary. I'm glad you were with him."

"Marcelle?"

"He went to London for a few days. He is hanging out with his friends."

"He didn't mention it. I thought he was here all along. When is he coming back?"

"Probably today."

"We should cook a great meal for him. I'll wash up and then I'll help."

"Vittoria, some gifts arrived for you. They are in your closet. I didn't open them."

"Grazi. I'll check it out."

I'll take a quick bath and then I'll help her cook. At least she doesn't fight with me these days. I walked into the perfect closet. Everything is organized and neat. We both like order.

The gifts are on the island in the middle of the closet. They are bags with designer labels. Jewelry, clothing, shoes... Is it Marcelle? Is it my father?

There's only one way to know and that would be to ask. But first I'll shower. It is really hot in Italy, even here. I believe the schools are closing soon. I can't believe Nerina will be around all the time. I stood under the rain head shower enjoying the hot water.

I am grateful for this bathroom. The one I had in Naples, in the little apartment was dark and the shower was moody. It was a little shower that never gave me hot water or even water. I can shower in here forever. I appreciate everything Marcelle has given me. My life changed for the better and I wouldn't have any of this if not for him.

I turned off the water. I wrapped a towel on my head and the other around my body. I almost suffered a heart attack when I saw him in the closet. "Dio! When did you arrive?"

"Just now." He responded.

I walked to him and gave him a kiss he didn't respond to.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He shrugged. He's getting dressed.

"Where are you going?"

"For a run."

"Ay signor! What is with the noisy answers? What is wrong?"

He faced me but with a frown on his face. "Nothing I can't handle."

"Thank you for the gifts." I pointed at them.

"I didn't buy you any gifts." He walked out.

Then who are they from? I texted my father to ask. Just after I pressed send, he came back. He emptied the bags and boxes. He eventually picked up lingerie. It's blood red. "Who is sending you these things?"

"I don't know! I found them here when I came back!"

"Who is sending them to you?" He questioned.

"I don't know!"

"The last time wasn't it a diamond necklace?" She asked me.

"Si."

"And where is it?" I opened the draw where I keep my jewelry. I showed him the case. He opened it only to close it. "And you kept it?"

"Was I supposed to throw it?"

"Burn it! Throw it! Donate it! I don't care! Just don't keep it!"

"Marcelle. Why are you shouting at me? What is it that I have done to upset you?"

He squeezed the bridge of his nose. "You're not safe." He responded. "These gifts... I may know where they are coming from. Someone wants to hurt you Vittoria."

"But who?" I asked. "Who wants to hurt me? Tessa? Her daughter?"

"He's a cartel boss."

"Rafa?"

"Not Rafael." He reached for his phone. He showed me a picture. "Have you ever seen this man before?"

My heart suddenly stopped beating. I felt a suffocating feeling overcome me. It's like that moment I walked past him and he spoke to me. He said "Ciao chica". I have never forgotten the sound of his voice or even his face.

"Vittoria, have you ever seen this man?" He repeated himself.

I nodded. "S-si I see him... I saw him at... the bidding. The one Ethan won."

"What was he doing?"

"He bid on me." Marcelle's frown got even bigger. He covered his face. This is the right time to show him the messages. I dint know if it's the same man but the opportunity has presented itself. "This is why I didn't want to show you my phone."

He took the phone and began scrolling through the controversial messages. The more he looked, the more his frown thickened. His dark blue eyes look like they are burning. When he finished, he put my phone into his pocket.

"You're not allowed to leave this house anymore. Bodyguards or not, you are not allowed to leave. You stay indoors. Only within these walls. Do you understand me Vittoria?"

"Si. I understand." I'm shaking now. I'm scared.

He wrapped his warmth around me, pressing his soft lips on my cheek. "It's going to be okay. I will never allow anyone to hurt you. I will not."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

99.9K 1.8K 35
Sequel to innocent. Time had passed but their minds had remained on one another. Capri does her best to live her life and Mateo is too busy with his...
407K 10.7K 28
(Mature Audiences) It took Armani almost 3 years to find Amalia and now that he finally has her back he never plans on letting her go. But, when some...
203K 12.7K 50
"The less you know about the family business, the safer you will be." The small coastal town of adel Mare had three simple rules for the notoriously...
154 2 13
This love-adult story is about two mafia family (They are enemies). Until one day one family wants to leave...until on their way they find something...