The Brothers and I

By Nina_Sutton18

When Mia Sutherland finds herself incomprehensibly attracted to her new boss, she gets more than what she bar... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Author's Note

Chapter 39

20.9K 651 15
By Nina_Sutton18

I showered quickly, all the while refusing to wallow in self-pity. Anger had failed me just as effectively as the pleading had done. And now, there was nothing left except a calming numbness in the realisation that there was no hope of ever changing my accursed fate.

I dressed in an almost mechanized way as I donned on a black pencil skirt and a white silk blouse, the movements lacking conscious thought or effort as a new sense of acceptance began to radiate throughout my being. How could I continue to fight when I was bound to lose every single time? It felt rather futile and senseless.

Finishing off with a splash of red on my lips and a pair of black pumps, I headed out of the room. Glancing around, I was surprised to find the chairs neatly put back in place and the mess from the soap water cleaned up. I didn't have to be a genius to figure out that James had probably done it but the demon himself, was nowhere to be found.

Heading out the front door, my eyes immediately fell on Liam waiting beside a black Rover with his hands crossed over his chest and his back resting against the car with a look of impatience on his face that was unusual for him.

"Hey."

Strangely, I did not receive a greeting in return. Nodding once in my direction, he climbed into the driver's seat while I hopped into the passenger side. Giving me a quick glance, he started the car and we headed off in the direction of the main gates past the packhouse. I felt extremely uncomfortable with the silence emanating in the space between us especially given the fact that I wasn't privy to the reason nor was I accustomed to Liam behaving this way.

We slowed down near the gate where we were joined by two more SUVs, one in the front and one taking up the rear. Although, I did not want to be the one to break this awkward silence, curiosity seemed to get the better of me.

"What's with the cars?"

Liam did not spare me a glance, his eyes fixed on the road as he answered in a curt but polite tone. "Security detail. We are leaving pack grounds, so we need them."

"Ah. Didn't realise my safety was of any concern."

I caught a glimpse of his old-self returning as he smirked, the corner of lips lifting in a small smile. "You are the Beta's mate after all."

"Hmm. Sure. And do you happen to know where your Beta is?"

That seemed to shut him back down as his expression shuttered and his lips pulled into a thin line. I sighed internally realising that Liam, in part at least, knew about the events that had transpired between Thomas and I. It was probably the reason for his odd behaviour and although I couldn't blame him for taking his friend's side, it hurt just a bit.

Turning to face the road, I watched the trees pass by as we followed the car ahead of us.

"So what is this trip about?"

"Not sure. I was asked to bring you to the HQ."

"Right."

Realising that I wasn't going to get much out of him, I succumbed back into silence. Leaning back against the soft leather seat, I closed my eyes, shutting everything out while I dozed in and out for the rest of the ride.

"We're here."

I jerked awake, turning quickly to look outside. I hadn't realised that I had fallen asleep but having had no proper rest for the last week, I wasn't entirely surprised.

We seemed to be parked in an underground basement with rows of fancy cars parked in the large space. My eyes landed on a yellow Lamborghini then on a McLaren wondering who owned them when Liam, noticing my gaze, gave me the answer.

"They're Kole's"

Course they are.

An elevator at the far corner of the basement, took us up to a well-lit, tastefully decorated office floor. I felt myself sweat a little, knowing that I was going to face one of the brothers. Which one though, was the million-dollar question.

The suspense however, was thankfully short-lived as we walked through a set of double doors into a private office. My heart stalled at the sight of Marcus seated at his desk and looking ruggedly handsome in a business suit. He appeared to be busy, signing a few papers that the woman standing beside him was pointing out while also typing away on his keyboard intermittently.

A flash of jealously roared to life at the way her generous cleavage danced close to his face and her overly seductive perfume filled the air around the room.

Marcus glanced up right then, his head tilting to the side as he regarded me closely. I forced myself to swallow the jealously, knowing he could sense it through the bond but to my utter humiliation my treacherous heart refused to comply. His grey eyes, very much like Thomas's silver-grey narrowed as he turned to look at the woman beside him before turning back to me with a sly smirk playing on his lips. Fuck my life.

"Mia. Come, have a seat."

And just like that, the woman gathered up the papers and hurried out of the room followed closely by Liam. When the door closed behind them, I took a deep breath, forcing my emotions under control before walking over to one of the seats across from his desk. Up close, his aura was magnetic, dragging me into a deep dark void of no return.

"You look beautiful"

My lips pressed together in silent contempt at the compliment but I did not respond. After the recent string of events, I could not bring myself to believe anything these men said.

"Why am I here?"

A long moment of silence passed between us. And despite the discomfort of being under the scrutiny of his heavy gaze, I held my own.

To my surprise, it was Marcus who withdrew from the stare down after a few minutes when he looked towards his computer.

"It appears you have a visitor."

Confusion whirled through my mind as I tried and failed to hide my surprise. "What?...uh...Who?"

Watching me carefully, Marcus turned the screen around. My eyes fell on a live video feed where a lonely figure sat, staring off into space in some kind of a conference room.

And as I narrowed my gaze to get a good look, a wave of panic hit me in full force. I didn't need the video feed to be clear to recognise that head of curly hair.

Sasha!

In a flash, I was transported to the day when I had to helplessly watch Thomas bleed out and almost die in front me.

I felt the nausea rise as my panic sky rocketed in an instant. Jumping out of my seat, I yelled out, anger and anxiety seeping through every pore. "What have you done?! Why is she here? I swear if you touch her, I will-"

"Calm down. Nobody's done anything to her. She is here because she's looking for you."

Marcus had not moved, did not flinch nor did his expression change. He simply continued to watch me as I went through all the different emotions. This man, I realised, never lost control. He was in charge of his world and nothing could challenge that.

Me, on the other hand, I was anything but in control. With adrenaline running high, I was ready to bolt out the door and find Sasha. I was prepared to kill any monster that stood in the way, even my so-called mates.

"You still haven't calmed down"

I stared hard at this titan of a man, my fists clenching tight as I struggled not to jump over the desk and pummel him to death.

His eyebrow raised as his eyes flicked to my clenched hands briefly. Expressionless, he added in a bored tone. "You can try but you'll most likely hurt yourself"

What the hell! I gaped wide mouthed, unable to comprehend how he had known what I was planning in my head. Did the bond allow them to read minds?

"H-how?"

Marcus let out a sigh while he turned towards the video feed to watch my best friend. "You project your thoughts quite clearly."

My mouth snapped close, irritated at myself for not being able to control my emotions and him for pointing it out. My eyes flicked back to the screen that he was watching. "Why is she here? What do you plan to do with her?"

He leaned back on his seat, his impressive muscles flexing under the suit. He regarded me once again, his dark grey eyes staring intensely. A pang went through my chest as his eyes reminded me so much of Thomas.

"I've already answered the first question. As for what we plan to do to her?" Leaning forward, he clasped his hands on the desk as he shrugged nonchalantly. "Nothing. And it will stay that way as long you can convince her that everything is fine with you."

"What do you mean?"

"Your friend here, has been looking for you ever since you left Manhattan. She has been constantly hounding the police for any information in spite of our cover story. The humans believe she is a liability and I agree. So, to make sure your friend remains safe, you go in there and tell her that you are exactly where you want to be and all of this..." He waved his hand around the office, "...was your decision in the first place."

In spite of everything, my heart leapt out of my chest in joy. I wasn't abandoned to my fate after all. My friend had looked for me all this time! Hope bloomed in my chest for a second before it crashed immediately at the sight of the steely look on Marcus's face.

"Come now, I trust you wouldn't do anything foolish Mia. While your impulsiveness wouldn't put you in danger, I can't promise the same fate for your little friend."

My stomach dropped, my gut tightening with anxiety at the calm way he threatened the safety of my friend. The one person who hadn't given up on me. "Marcus, I swear if any of you do anything to her, I will kill you all!"

A small smile lifted the corner of his lips. "You think we are the only monsters around? Tell me, do you think the knowledge that monsters exist is more harmful to your kind or ours?"

My eyes narrowed, wondering what he was trying to get at. When I didn't answer, he continued.

"Your government has been keeping a lot of secrets. And they'll do anything to keep it from getting out. So, let's say a human went around asking questions she shouldn't be and drawing unwanted attention to herself, what do you think they'll do?"

My eyes widened as realisation hit me hard.

"I know you're a smart girl Mia. Which is why I know you'll make a smart decision."

I felt light headed as I weighed his words. Sasha's life was on the line if I did not get her to back off. But that would mean sacrificing my only chance of getting help to get out of here. Worse, it could even fracture our friendship. At that thought, my mind revolted, hating the idea of giving up yet another thing for a pointless cause. Another thing that these monsters would take from me so callously.

The hatred brewed as I stared at Marcus for a long time, who stared back in return. Taking a deep breath with my mind made up, I gritted out. "What must I do?"

Marcus stood up, his face betraying nothing as he adjusted his suit. "You stick to the story. After the merger, you were offered a promotion as Head of Marketing with a substantial pay rise. But the role required an immediate start and also required you to relocate to the HQ here in Portland. So, you moved overnight and have since worked here."

Straightening his lapels before buttoning his suit, he continued, "The SB division has sent out texts and emails on your behalf to keep anyone from getting suspicious but this one is tenacious."

What the fuck?! "Hang on. Someone pretended to be me? And what's SB division?"

Marcus snorted, which surprised me as the man never displayed any kind of reaction.

"Humans and their unoriginal taste in names. It's short for Supernatural Law Enforcement Bureau. A division within Homeland security that deals with investigations and upholding laws between our two worlds."

Homeland Security? I recalled the conversation between the two police officers who had grabbed me from my apartment. One of them had told the other that this went all the way up the ladder. I hadn't understood back then but now I knew.

My attention swivelled back to Marcus who moved to stand before me, his large frame nearly swallowing me whole.

His eyes turned misty grey for an instant before it darkened and came to rest on me.

"You got this?"

The door opened and the woman who had been practically shoving her tits in his face, stepped inside. I gritted my teeth in annoyance as I turned back to Marcus.

"Yeah. I got it."

His eyes lingered on me for a second, swirling with unreadable emotions. "Good. Angie will take you there. And remember, your friend is safe as long you behave."

My fists clenched, digging into my palms as I turned around and followed the woman out the door. I was going to save my best friend and these fuckers were going to pay for threatening her in the first place.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 348 65
Warning this book is for mature readers only, sexual scenes, torture, death, gore and assault are all presents throughout the 2 books. Soon to be 3 b...
7.1K 751 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
19.8K 1K 23
Rated R. Must be 18+ to read. Prologue Mia Redblood was only 6 years old when she shifted for the first time. Her parents leave her with a pack of Ti...
20.8K 629 69
Book one of the His series Adrien is an alpha to one of the biggest packs in the world with all but peace in his territory. with a whole pack that...