The Things I Hate About You...

By supercollide

Alex Dean was the player and party type of girl that had little to no care on how empty her life without love... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Fifteen

3.6K 134 17
By supercollide

April's POV

Ending all the work too early was sometimes good and others just so damn tedious, because I still had to stay at the office regardless.

Normally I would just go and bother Iliana in her office, but I'm not sure if she even came to work. She's been acting weird lately, haven't seen much of her either.

I better check up on her.

Standing up from my chair, with my mind made up I exited my cubicle. I walked through the hall full of people on their own space of work, too busy in either their computers or doing anything but work. Iliana's office was a floor above us, being the boss had it's perks and with that came the biggest office in the last floor of the building all for herself.

Luckily for me I didn't have to wait for the elevator as it was already on my floor—pressing the button the doors closed. The ride was short and as the doors went back open I could already see Ellie sat outside Iliana's office on her desk, her attention being all on her computer.

"Hi Ellie." I greeted her making her divert her gaze from the monitor and to me.

"Hey April! How can I help you?"

"I was wondering if Iliana came into work today? I haven't talked to her today so I don't know." I leaned on her wooden desk.

"Oh she did, although she is busy right now."

"Busy?" I questioned.

"Yes, she's inside her office with her boyfriend." Ellie revealed the last part quietly, as she knows no one can find out—I gritted my teeth at that, trying to hide my annoyance.

"Is she? Thank you Ellie." I forcibly smiled at her and headed for the door.

"Wait she said she is not to be bothered!"

"Oh I will bother alright." I muttered as I opened the doors of the office harshly—making sure that my presence was known.

"April." Iliana said immediately as she saw me come in, she was standing on the middle of her office—Josh towering in front of her.

I looked between the two of them, my gaze lingering longer on Josh —I swear that man has never given me a good feeling. Always so stoic and the way he spoke was just like a stuck up asshole—I've never liked him when he first got with Iliana and I never will.

"Don't you know how to knock?" Josh didn't even bother to look away from Iliana—the latter looking rather uncomfortable.

"Don't you have a job?"

"April." Iliana called out to me, her grey eyes wide and her jaw clenching. "What is it?"

"I need to talk to you about work." I looked again at the parasite at her side, "Not that I expect you to know what that is." I spoke to her boyfriend.

He approached me, clearly bothered by my snide comment — however I could just roll my eyes at him. "You think you are funny?" Josh's dark brown eyes stared at me.

"I know I am. Now clear out, Iliana and I have work to do." I said not intimidated by him in the slightest, that's all he knew how to do.

A dog with no bite.

Iliana grabbed his arm—trying to capture his attention, but to not avail as we were stuck in a glaring match. "She's right Josh, I have work to get to."

That made him finally look away from me, "I see... meet you at home, right babe?"

I hate the way he looks at her— why can't Iliana see that he's no good for her?

"Right, bye Josh." Iliana crossed her arms as the guy leaned in to kiss her cheek.

I watched as he walked out of the office and he didn't fail to stop to glare at me before he did. The hate always has been mutual, and it'll remain like that.

Once the doors closed behind him I turned my attention to my best friend—she didn't seem like her usual self, she was quiet and on her mind a lot lately. We haven't been seeing each other much, which was also not normal for us.

"Did you really have anything to talk to me about work?" Iliana questioned.

"No, but I did want to talk to you." I went to grab one of her hands just for her to take it back immediately, letting it fall on her side instead.

"Let's just sit." I watched her with narrowed eyes, but didn't say anything else and followed her to sit on the couch that she has in her office.

Iliana's gaze was captivated by the view of the city from her window, but she looked like she was just lost in her head. Like she wasn't really there. "Lia, Lia... Iliana." It took me three tries for me to get her attention.

"Sorry... what is it that you wanted to talk about?" Iliana asked, her eyes still far away. I inspected her with my eyes, but there didn't seem to be nothing physically wrong with her. Her straight blonde hair was pass her shoulders, her face had light make up and she wore her usual work attire—a long sleeved white button shirt and black trousers.

"You, I wanted to know how you were, we haven't talked in some days."

"Right... how have you been?" Iliana asked, averting her gaze towards the window again. I bit my lip and suppressed myself from voicing out her clear disinterest to talk to me.

"I've been good?" I wasn't even sure of that. "What about you?"

"I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine." At that the blonde looked back at meher eyes void of any emotion.

"I am, don't worry about me."

I shook my head, "You know I can't do that. Lia I will always care for you, you are my best friendlike a sister even."

"I know and I appreciate it, but I'm fine, Aps. Really." I saw Iliana move her hand slowly before putting it on top of mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze despite not feeling any real reassurance. "How are things with Alex? Have you two talked again?"

Alex, right.

It's been a second since I thought about the brunette. She hasn't reach out again since that morning in my apartment, so I guess it was matter of time till I eventually forgot her... till now. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss her Alex has her flaws like every person does, but she has many things I like about her.

But who can be with someone who doesn't wants you at least not enough.

I found console in knowing that is not just me that she can't compromise to beyond fucking. Alex is clearly afraid of any type commitment, and I hope that she eventually gets over itnot so we can be together, but so she can find love and see that there's nothing wrong with caring.

I really hope she does.

"They aren't, we haven't seen each other in a whileI don't think I will be seeing her again." I shrugged lightly with a halfhearted smile.

"Oh... I'm sorry, I know you liked her... for some reason." Iliana moved her brows up in mild disapproval.

"We didn't match I guess. What about you and Kai? Last time we talked you had stood her up, how did that go?" I changed the spotlight to her, in hopes to find what is really bothering her.

"We weren't in good terms, but we talked it out and we are fine. She's doing her thing and I'm doing mine until we are able to divorce." Iliana explained with apparent disinterest, that was if her eyes wouldn't betray her wordslonging evident on them, the first time showing any emotion since I came to the office.

"You two are still going to divorce when the two years are up?"

"We never said otherwise, this marriage has always being beneficial. The means to an end... and besides I I have a I have Josh." Iliana went back to stare at the city.

"Yeah... whatever you say."

I try to be understanding with her, but that is so difficult when I don't understand her at all.

"I should get back to work." Iliana hastily stood up, smoothing her pants with her hands.

"Okay, I'll just head home, I'm done for the day." I stood up and placed myself in front of her.

Iliana nodded at my words, "Of course, I'll text you later."

"Sure." I gulped and stopped my best friend from walking awaymy hands grabbing her. Her grey eyes going back and forth between our hands and my face. "I love you Lia... you would tell me if something was wrong, right? Because you can, you can tell me anything."

"I know I can. Don't worry Aps, I'm okay." Iliana send me a reassuring smile, but it still wasn't enough to shake my uneasiness.

But I also knew that, whatever it was, Iliana wouldn't break and tell me. She never does and that's why I worry so much. All I have left is to trust her to eventually talk to me.

I wasn't excited to go back home, not after my conversation with Iliana and how weird it felt, but I didn't have other option than going home I also had to check up on Squirrel.

Having a pet makes me feel like a mom.

As I unlocked my door I saw my neighbor coming out of the elevatorDrew was dressed on some shorts, a green workout tank top and running shoes it seems like he was getting home from the gym.

He took out one airpod when he saw mehis white pearly smile showing. "Hey there neighbor."

"Hi neighbor. Coming home from the gym?"

"No, just a run. Coming home from work?" Drew asked.

"Is it too obvious?" I grimaced.

"A bit, you just have that face that says 'I'm finally home'." He pointed out making me chuckle.

"That I am... kind of." I finished unlocking my door and as I did Squirrel came out of the apartment to greet me.

Drew approached me and leaned against the wall, "How come?"

"I'm glad I'm home, but I'm also not because I don't have anything else to do so I'll be bored out of my mind. Maybe I'll just binge watch shows." I contemplated the idea as I carried Squirrel.

"Well, I don't have anything to do either so... would you like I don't know, binge watch shows with me?" Drew asked almost shyly.

"Really? Of course I would!" I could really use the company right now and I happen to enjoy Drew's company.

"Great! I'm going to shower first and I'll let you know when I'm outside." He pointed back to his own doorlight excitement showing on his hazel eyes, it was kind of cute.

"Sure, see you in a bit neighbor."

"See you in a bit neighbor... you too bud." Drew scratched the back of Squirrel's ear with his fingeris unbelievable how easy going this cat is with him. He sent me a smile as he retreated to his apartment while walking backwards, and I would be lying if I said I didn't find myself effortlessly smiling back.

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110 11 10
Michael wasn't the type of guy to fall for just anyone. It wasn't his fault he turned out to be gay. If not for his father claiming it was a good thi...
Famous By Dawn

General Fiction

15.7K 369 35
A story about the famous Alex Blackwood, gorgeous, millionaire and yet broken hearted girl who turned bad. Now she's single, everyone is hustling to...
1.1M 31.2K 46
Alexandra "Alex" Doherty is the girl everyone envies. She's well liked, is the captain of the soccer team, has a great group of friends, her boyfrien...
314 70 51
Lucas and Alex, two college students, were instantly drawn to each other when they first met. Lucas confessed his feelings for Alex, and to his delig...