Sister Cities

By buggieboot

Basically a potential season 2 for Arcane: League of Legends that ties up all the loose ends that have ruined... More

Part 1: Vi
Part 2: Vi
Part 3: Jinx
Part 4: Vi
Part 5: Ekko (10 Years Ago)
Part 6: Ekko
Part 7: Caitlyn
Part 8: Jinx
Part 9: Vi
Part 10: Jinx
Part 11: Ekko
Part 12: Vi
Part 13: Caitlyn
Part 14: Vi
Part 15: Caitlyn
Part 16: Vi
Part 17: Ekko
Part 18: Jinx
Part 19: Vi
Part 20: Caitlyn
Part 21: Ekko
Part 22: Jinx
Part 23: Vi
Part 24: Vi (7 Years Ago)
Part 25: Ekko
Part 26: Jinx (7 Years Ago)
Part 27: Jinx
Part 28: Vi
Part 29: Powder (14 Years Ago)
Part 30: Caitlyn
Part 31: Ekko
Part 32: Jinx
Part 33: Ekko
Part 34: Caitlyn
Part 36: Vi
Part 37: Ekko
Part 38: Jinx
Part 39: Caitlyn
Part 40: Vi
Part 41: Caitlyn
Part 42: Ekko
Part 43: Caitlyn
Part 44: Ekko
Part 45: Jinx
Part 46: Vi
Part 47: Caitlyn
Part 48: Ekko (7 Years Ago)
Part 49: Ekko (5 Years Ago)
Part 50: Ekko
Part 51: Vi
Part 52: Jinx
Part 53: Caitlyn
Part 54: Vi
Part 55: Caitlyn
Part 56: Vi
Part 57: Jinx
Part 58: Caitlyn
Part 59: Caitlyn (10 Years Ago)
Part 60: Ekko (7 Years Ago)
Part 61: Ekko
Part 62: Jinx
Part 63: Vi
Part 64: Caitlyn
Part 65: Violet (19 Years Ago)
Part 66: Jinx (5 Years Ago)
Part 67: Jinx (3 Years Ago)
Part 68: Jinx
Part 69: Vi
Part 70: Ekko
Part 71: Vi
Part 72: Powder (7 Years Ago)
Part 73: Jinx
Part 74: Caitlyn
Part 75: Caitlyn
Part 76: Vi
Part 77: Jinx
Part 78: Caitlyn
Part 79: Caitlyn (7 Years Ago)
Part 80: Ekko
Part 81: Jinx
Part 82: Vi
Part 83: Jinx
Part 84: Jinx
Part 85: Caitlyn
Part 86: Ekko
Part 87: Vi
Part 88: Caitlyn
Part 89: Vi
Part 90: Caitlyn (5 Weeks Ago)
Part 91: Caitlyn
Part 92: Ekko
Part 93: Ekko
Part 94: Jinx
Part 95: Ekko
Part 96: Jinx
Part 97: Caitlyn
Part 98: Vi
Part 99: Ekko
Part 100: Caitlyn
Part 101: Powder

Part 35: Caitlyn (14 Years Ago)

172 6 3
By buggieboot

But I've read this script and the costume fits

So I'll play my part

________________________________________________________________________________

The cotillion ball is the day after the enforcers squander the Undercity rebellion, so the entirety of dinner is subdued— anyone I ask claims they're happy and proud of our success, but their body language suggests that they're nervous more than anything. Unsettled. Perhaps they fear a second attack.

I don't. I saw the wreckage from the Council room. It was horrific. I know the citizens down there are criminals, but I don't think they deserved to die. There just wasn't any other option; the enforcers had to defend Piltover.

Perhaps that's why everyone is nervous: they feel sorry for the Undercity. The way most of them talk, however, I'm not confident about that.

Mum did my hair up with strings of opals and bought me a new gown from the boutique. It's white, like everyone's, with a full skirt and lace on the neckline that I told her was itchy, but that she told me I could endure for a few hours. I wait until the rehearsed class dance is over and the guests have begun mingling throughout the ballroom to give myself a good scratch. Many of the other girls are spinning around together, but I'm not really friends with any of them, so I linger by the glass door. It rained earlier today, and the patio sparkles.

After a long time smiling and curtseying to aristocrats who pass by, I hear someone whisper-call "Caitlyn!" and turn to see Rosemary and Lydia approaching, clearly enacting a clandestine scheme. I raise my eyebrows. Rosemary points to the door.

"We're going to play outside!" she hisses. "Would you like to join us?"

I scan the room and find Mum conversing animatedly with Councilor Bolbok; Dad is out of sight.

"I can't," I whisper anyway. I scarcely even speak to Rosemary and Lydia in the first place.

"But you look miserable," Lydia says. "It will only be for a little while."

"This is the cotillion ball," I say. "To 'play' on a night like this would be improper."

"You are such a goody-two-shoes," says Rosemary.

They carefully pull the door open and prance out onto the patio. I watch them with the corner of my eye and force my annoyance into a bland smile for the benefit of anyone nearby. I'm not a "goody-two-shoes"— I merely understand my duty. If the others are immature, that's a problem with them, not me.

I take a second glance at Mum and run out the door.

"Caitlyn!" Lydia whispers delightedly. The string quartet is still audible on the patio in a warped, distant manner that makes it feel as though I'm a world away from where I just was, rather than five feet. She and Rosemary are dancing around with most indignity, swinging their limbs every which way. Lydia's braid has already started coming undone.

Mum would prefer that I marry someone with whom I can produce an heir to our House. I'm only interested in girls, so my courting pool is small, and Lydia isn't in it. Mum likes her, though. By the time I'm old enough to marry, I'm sure she'll understand that there are more important things than heirs.

Lydia and Rosemary pull me into the fray. They both have their shoes off, so I take mine off too, as well as my stockings. They're the ones with the tiny, woven-in gems that itch as badly as my neckline. The chilled marble of the patio feels nice against my feet.

"This isn't the performance," Lydia says, grabbing both of my hands. "Stop trying to follow the routine."

Her hands are soft. I let her pull me around and emulate her every movement, the music switching from fast to slow to fast again. Rosemary eventually insists that we move into the garden instead. I'm not allowed to go barefoot on grass, especially when it's just rained, but they run ahead of me and I can't help but follow.

The musicians are out of hearing range down here. Rosemary says we should hold races instead. I haven't been part of a race since I was a child, unless it's part of a shooting competition, and I know it's inappropriate, but I agree, and the wind pulls my hair down just like Lydia's. The opals get tangled up and I don't even mind.

It's on our fourth round that I suggest we make a full circle around the manor. I'm in the lead, and I hear Lydia call out, and then I'm down in a puddle of mud on the north side of the patio.

"Shit," I say. I'm not allowed to cuss, but as I stand, I can see that there's mud on the palms of my white gloves, around the entire hem of my dress, and all across its front up to my knees. Lydia and Rosemary gasp.

"Caitlyn Kiramman!"

We all look up. Mum stands at the top of the staircase, silhouetted by the white-gold light from the ballroom windows.

Rosemary, Lydia, and I all fold our hands and lower our heads. I feel my cheeks flush, the spell of our freedom broken. I'm so foolish.

"I cannot believe this," Mum says. "I simply cannot believe this. Lydia, Rosemary, go inside. I will be speaking with your mothers."

They run off toward the staircase we first came down, unwilling to pass my mum. I blink back tears as her pristine green gown sweeps down the steps, her shadow falling over me, and I start to stammer out some weak explanation, but she clutches my forearm and tells me to be silent.

It's lucky that we held the ball at our home, because she can drag me in the front door and away into my room without anyone seeing my state of disarray. I accidentally leave a muddy footprint in the entryway and she makes me stop and rub my feet on the mat until they sting. A passing guest almost spots us and Mum runs nimbly the rest of the way while I try not to stumble.

Behind my locked door, she stands over me again. I hold my skirt tightly so the hem doesn't touch the carpet. A displaced opal bumps against my cheek.

"I am in shock, Caitlyn," Mum says. "You disappear from your own cotillion ball, and I find you running amok in the mud like a feral street urchin! Dirt all over you, barefoot outside, I think I even heard a cuss— what on earth do you have to say for yourself?"

"I'm sorry. I'll give back my birthday money to make up for the dress—"

"You know full well it isn't about the money! What if someone had seen you? The councilor's daughter, looking like she came right out of the Undercity!"

"Mum, I'm sorry—"

"Sorry isn't good enough, Caitlyn. You're a young woman now. You don't get to behave so abhorrently and get off with a slap on the wrist."

It seems these days that I'm a child who doesn't need to be speaking whenever I have a good idea and a young woman who needs to grow up whenever I have a bad one.

"I'm ashamed of you," says Mum. "I expected so much better of my daughter."

My tears fall, and it makes me mad all of a sudden, even though this whole mess is my own fault. "I just wanted to have fun, Mum!"

"Fun? You can have fun during horseback riding and piano. I even allow you to take the shooting class, as useless as it is. Is that not enough?"

"No."

She squawks disbelievingly. "I apologize if this is news to you, but you are not entitled to have fun at all hours of the day. You have responsibilities. Appearing well-mannered for a night is not much to ask."

I stay quiet.

"And with everything I do for you! The shooting lessons, the brand-new gown, the nanny— I could be spending this money on myself. You could be attending the public school in year-old clothing. Your spot in the Academy could go to someone else. You could be learning to ride from the servants. I even did your hair tonight myself, and look at what you've done to it—"

"Okay! I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Mum."

Her face is flushed too, but only with anger. "We have the Council dinner coming up this weekend," she says. "If you make any sort of spectacle whatsoever, there will be no more shooting. Ever."

I nod.

She turns her back and opens the door.

"I love you, Mum."

She glares at me over her shoulder. "Clean yourself up, Caitlyn. You're going to bed early."

________________________________________________________________________________

Intro lyrics from "Cleopatra" by The Lumineers.

baby Cait my beloved :,) guys i have so many mommy issues for you coming, just you wait

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 114 11
"You don't love me anymore?" Tears filled my eyes as I looked into his. "You left me when I needed you most!" "I do love you, my dear. I was just sca...
49.8K 1.5K 14
A phoenix is born of ashes. A hero is born of war. Who is born through pain? You. Piltover, the city of dreams. Inventions of unimaginable calibres...
1.5K 39 29
!! THIS STORY DOESN'T BELONG TO ME, IT WAS WRITTEN BY @SuspiciousZucchini ON AO3 !! https://archiveofourown.org/users/SuspiciousZucchini/pseuds/Suspi...
39.2K 897 48
I threw my arm around her. Then lightly grabbed her face as she had done mine before, "shhhh, it'll be ok, I've got you ..." I whispered. I didn't le...