๐€๐”๐†๐”๐’๐“ โ€• s. harringto...

By -JASONSGRACE

to live for the hope of it all. [ steve harrington x original character ] [ book one in the folklore trilogy... More

disclaimer
august
epigraph
| prologue
| one
| two
| three
| four
| five
| six
| eight
| nine
| ten
| eleven
| twelve
| thirteen
| fourteen
| fifteen
| epilogue
SEQUEL

| seven

2.9K 146 74
By -JASONSGRACE

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗔𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗦𝗧

chapter seven:
welcome to the panic room

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

AFTER HOURS OF walking, the trio finally made it to the old junkyard in Hawkins. Serenity pulled her headphones off of her ears and put them around her neck, pausing her tape that was playing Jessie's Girl. She had been listening to music their entire walk, trailing ahead of both Steve and Dustin as she was caught up in her own little world. Therefore, she was completely unaware of what Dustin had revealed to Steve.

Squinting through the late afternoon sunlight, Serenity looked around at the familiar place. It was an open field sitting underneath a blue sky trailed with clouds. Old cars, rusty metal, and car parts were littered around the space. Other than that, it was completely open and completely abandoned. Perfect place to lure a Demogorgon in.

"Oh, yeah," Steve approved. "Yeah, this will do." Serenity looked over at him, only to see Steve taking off the black sunglasses that were a part of his Halloween costume and putting them in the pocket of his jacket. "This will do just fine. Good call, dude."

Serenity trailed after him. "When did you put those on? And why do you have them?"

"Maybe if you weren't so caught up in your music, sunshine, you would notice things," Steve replied.

She rolled her eyes. Serenity hiked the backpack with the spiked bat up a little further on her shoulders as they went to a spot in the junkyard with just grass. Both Steve and Dustin overturned their buckets of meat to create a big pile.

"I said medium well!" a very familiar voice shouted.

Serenity turned, a small smile on her face. Standing there with his bike was Lucas, surprisingly accompanied by Max. Lucas waved at them before starting to roll his bike towards the bus, Max following after him. Serenity gave him a wave back.

"Who's that?" Steve questioned.

"That's Max," Serenity told him. "That's the girl—"

"Shut up, Renny," Dustin pleaded.

"Watch your tone first, and I'll think about it."

He slightly deflated. "Sorry."

Serenity looked over at him and frowned slightly. It was clear that seeing Lucas and Max together was hurting Dustin's feelings, seeing that he liked Max and Lucas was one of his best friends. She looked up and shared a glance with Steve, who was already looking at her. However, there was something new in his gaze, something that Serenity couldn't quite place.

"Hey," Serenity greeted as Lucas and Max walked up to them. She held out her arm, and Lucas instantly sunk into her side. Serenity allowed him to hug her for a moment before he let go. "How are you?"

"All right," Lucas responded.

"Hi, Max." Her eyebrows then knit in confusion. "Wait, why are you here? I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm glad you are, but—"

"I told her."

Serenity blinked. "Oh, okay." She grinned at Max. "Welcome to the Party, where we deal with dangerous things from a parallel dimension."

Dustin didn't look as happy as Serenity did. He took Lucas' arm and dragged him away, presumably to have a chat about why Lucas had told Max everything. Serenity let out a breath as she watched them go behind a car.

"So, uh, what are we doing?" Max inquired, looking a little out of place.

"Finding pieces of wood and scrap metal to barricade ourselves in," Steve answered, putting his sunglasses back on. "We'll be in this bus while we wait for Dustin's pet to show up."

The three of them instantly dispersed to find what they needed. Serenity put the backpack down in the bus and took off her leather jacket, leaving her in just her blue sweater. She started to drag sheets of metal and wood over to the bus.

"Hey, dickheads!" Steve yelled, and Serenity looked to see that he was standing by Dustin and Lucas, who were still talking. "How come the only ones helping me out is 'Renity and this random girl? We lose light in forty minutes. Let's go. Let's go, I said!"

"All right, asshole!" Dustin stated. "God!"

Serenity reached up and took all of her hair in her hands, tying it back into a low ponytail with a hair tie that had been on her wrist. She had no idea that Steve was watching her do so, a small but adoring smile on his face. This whole new revelation, it was making him feel . . . fluttery. It was unlike anything he'd ever felt with Nancy or any other girl before.

He kind of liked it.

The group of five continued to find things to help barricade the bus. They put some old fencing on the windows, tires on the roof, and barrels in front of it to make sure the Demogorgon wouldn't climb under the bus. Serenity helped Max carry a ladder to the inside of the bus that would stick out of the emergency exit on the roof. Steve put a trail of gasoline from the pile of meat to the front of the bus, because the one thing that the Demogorgon hated was fire.

As time went on, the sun started to set, making the sky a pretty orange color. When the sun was almost dipped below the horizon, they all climbed back inside the bus. Serenity was the last one inside, glancing around at the junkyard nervously before closing the door behind her.

"Be careful, Lucas," Serenity told him as he climbed up the ladder. "I didn't bring any Band-Aids, so if you fall, we've got nothing."

Steve let out a small laugh as he sat on the floor. "God, you are such a mom."

"Shut up."

Serenity sat on the floor next to him, tucking her knees up to her chest. Dustin was pacing around while Max sat on one of the old seats. Serenity watched, almost in a trance, as Steve flicked a lighter on and off. The sun had fully disappeared, leaving the junkyard in darkness with fog moving closely to the ground.

The night time was when Serenity always felt the most scared. After all, the Demogorgon always hunted at night, according to Nancy and Jonathan. Plus, she would always see it when she slept. And here they were, actually going out looking for one. She hated it, and she hated the fear that clouded her brain.

"So you really fought one of these before?" Max asked, her eyes trained on the two older teens. Serenity and Steve both nodded. "And you're, like, totally one hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?"

Serenity shook her head slowly, swallowing her nerves. "It emerged from the ceiling and its face opened up like a flower. So, it definitely wasn't a bear."

"Shit, don't be an idiot, okay?" Dustin commented, making Serenity's eyes widen. "It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

"Hey, remember what I said about your tone?" Serenity scolded. "Watch it. She's allowed to be here."

"It's okay, Serenity," Max reassured her. She stood up from the bus seat. "Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?"

Max then climbed up the ladder to join Lucas on the roof. Serenity watched her go for a moment, sighing slightly.

"That's good," Steve voiced. "Just show her you don't care."

"I don't," Dustin insisted, making Serenity give him a disbelieving look — he clearly did. Steve then winked. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

"No, Steve, you're being stupid," Serenity stated, taking her hair out of her ponytail and putting the hair tie back on her wrist. "Your advice is shit. Dustin, don't listen to him. Or any advice he gives you."

"Oh, come on," Steve protested. "My advice is great! What is he supposed to do, listen to you?"

"Considering that I literally one, watch over him, and two, are a girl, I'm gonna go with yes. Listen, Dustin, I know what girls like. Girls like when you're sweet and pay attention to them and listen. Acting like you don't care will only push them away, and Max isn't someone you want to push away."

The bus went silent, besides the silent conversation of Max and Lucas on the roof. Serenity leaned her head back and looked up at the ceiling, seeing some stars twinkle through the hole in the roof. She felt her heart beat against her chest as she tried to imagine somewhere away from Hawkins, somebody was staring up at the same stars, not hunting for a dangerous monster from the Upside Down.

"You okay?" Steve questioned softly, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I don't think you would believe me if I said yes," Serenity whispered.

"You're right, I wouldn't." Steve reached over and took her hand, interlocking their fingers together. "Just think. We deal with this thing, and then it'll all be over."

Serenity lowered her head so that she was looking at him. "But what if it's not? What if the Upside Down keeps bleeding into Hawkins, and we just have to keep dealing with it? I don't want anymore nightmares, I don't want anymore bad thoughts, I don't want to keep being affected by this. I'm just so, so tired, Steve."

"I know," Steve responded. He squeezed his hand. "But I'm here. That has to count for something, right?"

"It counts for a lot, Steve." She paused for a moment, averting her gaze to his sneakers as a blush coated her cheeks. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Steve stared at her, adoration rushing through his chest. "I don't know what I'd do without you either, Serenity. You're my favorite person."

"Wait, you? Being nice? Holy shit, it's a miracle." Serenity let out a small laugh as she watched Steve roll his eyes. "You're my favorite person too, Steve. Truly."

Steve seemed to have an internal battle with himself for a moment. "Hey, 'Renity? Can I talk to you about something?"

Her eyebrows knit in confusion. "Yeah, sure. What's up?"

He opened his mouth. Steve was prepared to say I know you like me, followed by don't be embarrassed because she would probably flush bright red and then I think I like you too. However, none of that happened.

There was a sudden screeching sound. One that was horribly familiar.

Serenity's head whipped away from Steve and looked at the window, her heart sinking right into her stomach. She got to her feet and peered in between the grates on the fencing. Serenity squeezed Steve's hand tighter in effort to ground herself. Her mind spun as she looked around the foggy junkyard, not seeing the monster that had haunted her for so long.

"You see him?" Dustin inquired.

"No," Steve replied.

Dustin looked up at the ceiling. "Lucas, what's going on?"

"Hold on!" Lucas called back. "I've got eyes! Ten o'clock! Ten — Ten o'clock!"

Steve pointed in the distance. "There."

And there it was.

A smaller version of a Demogorgon, was crawling towards the pile of meat. He was still lost in the shadows, but Serenity knew what it was. She could see its grayish and slimy skin. Her chest tightened in fear.

Serenity felt like she was going to be sick.

"What's he doing?" Dustin asked.

"I don't know," Steve said.

There was a low chittering noise. Serenity was transported back to standing inn Will's bedroom with Steve, Jonathan, and Nancy, her heart pounding against her chest as the Demogorgon made that very same sound. She snapped back to reality and watched as the small Demogorgon sniffed around at the pile of meat but didn't eat any.

"He's not taking the bait. Why is he not taking the bait?"

"Maybe he's not hungry," Dustin suggested.

"Maybe he's sick of cow," Steve said.

He let go of Serenity's hand and took a step back. Serenity turned to face him, her eyebrows knitting in confusion. She noticed the look of determination on his face — and that's when she figured it out.

"Steve," Serenity said, her voice slightly shaking. "Steve, no."

"Steve?" Dustin repeated. "Steve, what are you doing? Steve?"

He leaned down and got the spiked bat from the floor before throwing the lighter to Dustin. "Just get ready."

Serenity shook her head, feeling tears prick at the back of her eyes. "Steve, you can't. Remember what I just said? I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I'm not going to die, Serenity," Steve promised.

"You don't know that." Her eyes slowly started to fill with tears. "Steve, please."

Steve stared at her for a moment before placing his free hand on her cheek. Serenity reached up and clutched onto the wrist by her face, leaning slightly into his touch. He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. Serenity looked at him pleadingly and held on tighter to his wrist, but he shook it off and left the bus, shutting the door behind him.

"Renny," Dustin whispered as she wiped a tear that had fallen down her cheek. "It's going to be okay. He'll be fine."

"I sure hope so," Serenity replied.

She turned her attention back to the window. Steve twirled his spiked bat around in her hand, doing exactly what he promised Serenity. He held his bat at the ready, whistling at the Demogorgon. Serenity felt like she couldn't breathe.

Max climbed down from the ladder. "What's he doing?"

"Expanding the menu," Dustin revealed.

"Please don't say that," Serenity voiced. She held her arms out to the two of them. "Come here."

The two fell into her embrace, Max a little more hesitantly than Dustin because she didn't know Serenity that well. However, once she realized how comforting it was, she sunk in more. Serenity held onto them tight, both to provide protection for them and to help calm herself down a little.

Steve swung his bat close to the ground. He planted his feet down firmly by the pile of meat, gripping onto his spiked bat tightly. Steve was scared — Serenity could tell. She absolutely hated that he was doing this.

"He's insane," Max stated.

"He's awesome," Dustin corrected.

Serenity shook her head. "He's fucking stupid, that's what he is."

The Demogorgon finally emerged fully from the fog. Serenity felt her entire body freeze as it stopped on all four of its legs. Panic rushed through her chest as Steve froze, staring straight at the Demogorgon, who made that God-awful chittering sound. Steve raised his bat.

"Steve, watch out!" Lucas screamed from the roof.

"A little busy here!" Steve insisted.

"Three o'clock! Three o'clock!"

Serenity's head whipped over. Sure enough, there was another small Demogorgon, crawling towards Steve. Her eyes widened. Holy fuck, there were more? This was literally her worst nightmare. She could barely handle one.

Dustin left Serenity's side and pulled the door open. "Steve! Steve! Abort! Abort!"

The Demogorgons' faces opened up like flowers and charged right at Steve. Serenity gasped as Steve dove away from the creature and rolled over one of the red cars. He swung his bat and hit another one. Lucas instantly climbed down from the ladder and joined Dustin at the door.

"Steve!" Serenity shouted, louder than the kids' shouts of desperation for Steve to come back. "Run!"

This time, he actually listened to her. Steve broke into a sprint and ran at the bus, the Demogorgons chasing after him. Serenity stumbled backwards from the door as the Demogorgon's face opened up, revealing rows of sharp teeth. Her mind spun with fear as Steve jumped into the bus, Dustin slamming the door in the Demogorgon's face. He practically jumped on top of Serenity. She didn't mind. She held onto him tight and sunk to the floor with him. He was alive. He was alive. He was alive—

The Demogorgons (multiple now, not just two) slammed against the bus in effort to get in. Serenity grabbed a sheet of metal from the windshield and threw it in front of the door.

"Shit!" Dustin let out.

"Are they rabid or something?" Max asked.

"They can't get in!" Lucas insisted as Steve held the piece of metal Serenity got in place with his feet. "They can't!"

The metal didn't do much. It flew away from the door, making everyone jump backwards. A Demogorgon's leg then reached through the door. Its claws sliced Serenity's leg right through her jeans, causing tears and her skin to break open. She cried out in pain as her leg felt like it was on fire. Blood started to drip down her leg as Steve hit the Demogorgon repeatedly with his bat.

Dustin picked up his headset, now at the back of the bus with Max and Lucas. "Is anyone there? Mike? Will? God? Anyone!" The bus rocked again as the Demogorgons pounded against it. "Shit! We're at the old junkyard, and we are going to die!"

Pounds were then heard from the roof. Serenity, her gaze hazy with pain, looked up. The pounding got closer and closer to the emergency exit. Her eyes widening, she scrambled up. She slightly whimpered to herself from the pain, but she ignored it.

Serenity vowed to protect the kids. Not to just their parents, but to herself. And that's exactly what she was going to fucking do, no matter what happened.

She ran over to the three of them, waving her hand to gesture them over. They all got behind her back. She watched as a Demogorgon crawled over the hole in the roof. Max let out a terrified scream, making Serenity feel around for her hand and grab it tightly.

"Out of the way!" Steve ordered, standing in front of the group, clearly . "Out of the way! You want some? Come get this!"

The Demogorgon's face opened up, dripping slime. It screeched loudly. Serenity felt her breathing pick up and herself start to get dizzy. She really wanted nothing more than to just sit down and cry, but she couldn't.

Suddenly, the monster paused, pulling back and letting out a loud howl. Serenity watched in confusion. It leaped off of the roof, causing it to shake again. Serenity stumbled back slightly from the force. The Demogorgon sprinted off, screeching as it did so. Its horrible noises faded into the distance, and then there was nothing but silence.

Steve slowly walked back towards the door of the bus. Serenity trailed after him slightly, watching as he opened the door. It made a loud bang, causing Steve to wince. Serenity ignored how much her legs were hurting and bleeding as she lowered herself off of the bus behind Steve, who was still holding his bat. All of the Demogorgons had run away.

"What happened?" Lucas demanded.

"I don't know," Max answered.

"Steve scared 'em off?" Dustin offered.

"No," Serenity whispered. "They answered a call from somewhere else. They're going somewhere."

Steve looked over at her, dropping his bat to the ground and placing his hands on either side of her face. "Serenity, you're hurt."

"It just stings," Serenity reassured him, even though her leg was basically aching. "But you . . . do not ever do that again, you hear?"

"Yeah, okay. I hear you." He pressed another kiss to her forehead, making butterflies rush through her stomach. Steve then looked at the kids. "Come on, we're going to follow them."

⊹⊱••••••⊰⊹

I'm a steve harrington stan first and a human being second

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.5K 1.2K 21
I'm only seventeen, I don't know anything, but I know I miss you. [ steve harrington x original character ] [ book two in the folklore trilogy ] [ st...
38.3K 405 80
imagines from all seasons! requests are open! !!STRANGER THINGS SPOILERS!!
13.1K 555 21
๐™ฌ๐™š ๐™—๐™š๐™ก๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š ๐™๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ฃ แดกแด‡ ส™แด‡สŸแดษดษข แด›แดษขแด‡แด›สœแด‡ส€ แด€ษดแด… สแดแดœ แด‹ษดแดแดก ษชแด› โ”€ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ steve harrington's...
242 18 6
โI need to get the hell out of this town.โž THE TWILIGHT ZONE Josie never planned to set foot in Hawkins again, but Hawkins had a different plan. Stev...