| four

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗔𝗨𝗚𝗨𝗦𝗧

chapter four:mother serenity

chapter four:
mother serenity

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

"SERENITY, DO YOU copy?"

At the sound of Mike Wheeler's voice — that sounded slightly panicked — ringing from her Walkie, Serenity's eyebrows instantly knit in concern. She had a Walkie in her backpack at all times just in case the boys needed to contact her quickly. It was their idea after Will had gotten back from the Upside Down, and Serenity was more than happy to oblige.

Serenity stopped in her tracks in the parking lot, Steve doing so as well. The school day had just ended and he was about to give her a ride back to her house. Serenity already assumed Steve would stay at hers a little longer so they could do homework together (and by homework, she means laying on her carpet laughing and talking about stupid shit while music played softly in the background.)

Ever since his argument and breakup with Nancy, Steve had been spending more and more time with Serenity, more than usual. Not that she minded. He would drive her to school some days, and he would join her, Jonathan, and Steve when she drove to school.

"Your children are calling," Steve commented.

Serenity rolled her eyes. "I've heard." She moved her backpack to the front of her body and opened it, bringing her Walkie out, pressing the button to speak into it. "Yeah, I copy. What's going on?"

"We need you," Mike told her. "Right now."

Her stomach twisted in concern. "Are you still at the middle school?"

"Yeah. We'll be waiting inside. Meet us by the AV room."

"Okay, I'll be there in, like, a minute." Serenity put her Walkie back in her backpack and looked at Steve apologetically. "I'm sorry, I know I said we'd hang out, but the kids—"

"Need their mother," Steve joked, making Serenity roll her eyes. "Mother Serenity always comes to save the day."

"Shut up, Steve," Serenity insisted, her eyes brightening when he laughed. "I'll call you later, all right?"

"Wait, don't you want me to wait for you? I can just chill in the parking lot until you're done doing . . . whatever you're doing."