untouchable

De whatnothisisnotme

Origin story of "sa gitna ng ulan" (reading it first on my one-shot book is okay, but isn't a requirement). D... Mais

Preface and Dedication
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
14.2(? lol) [context on the gc sans y/n]
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40

3

621 35 21
De whatnothisisnotme

You smoothed out your pink shirt in preparation for another long day ahead. As much as you thoroughly dislike being proven wrong, you are glad to be proven wrong. This time only.

Ever since you participated as a volunteer, your burnout also decreased. You hate how more human interaction outside your comfort zone helped. You even gained new friends, rekindled with old ones, and it also improved your people skills. Your friends have been nagging you to recalibrate your work-life balance, put more percentage into life than work, expand or try out new hobbies. It will work wonders, they said. You'll thank us, they said. That's why you want to lovingly punch their faces in thanks, for once again being your solid foundation outside your blood family. It's quite scary how well they truly know you when you yourself is struggling to figure out how your mind works. You don't think you'd survive longer if it weren't for them. You'd be lost without your friends.

You would never admit that though, even over your dead body, won't stroke their egos.

Now, the campaign is keeping you on your toes, giving you something to do outside work. You hate how dependent you've become, that once all of this is done, you'd probably be lost again. This gave you another purpose to live out another day.

With a sigh and a shake of your head, you willed yourself to stop being emotional for now or it will lead to a breakdown. It will ruin your already jampacked schedule.

You still tag along Aika most of the time, even coming with her when she goes to provinces. It's not that you don't enjoy Tricia's company for she is a delightful company, you just gravitate more towards Aika as you're both the eldest daughters of an Asian household. There's an unspoken solidarity between the third parents of the family. JD and Shein often complains when one of them is left with the couple that is Aries and Sugi, how unfair you were. So to switch things up, all of you planned who will join who.

"Grabe naman kayo sa 'min, kung ayaw niyong maging third wheel, edi hayaan niyo na lang kami ng baby ko!" Aries retorted during one of your hangouts.

"Ay hindi p'wede yarn. Kailangan may isang magbabantay sa inyo," JD answered.

"Mga gago, hindi naman kami mga bata!" Sugi exclaimed.

"Exactly! Kaya to keep it family friendly, one of us has to take one for the team." Shein concluded.

You laughed at your friends' silliness. "Sige na, minsan feels ko sawa na sa 'kin si Miss Aiks, so next week kay Doc ako."

"Sama kami!" The couple said in sync.

You hate third wheeling as well, but sighed in defeat. It's your turn to babysit after all. "Oo na lang."

Today, you will campaign at the barangay you grew up in, home court advantage for you. It's a vote-rich barangay after all, and you heard your siblings are joining as well so more ground could be covered. There will also be a mini rally later this afternoon, and VP Leni has confirmed she will attend. You admire how your candidates are willing to go everywhere, having no stones left unturned.

The rendezvous point is at the Barangay Hall. You're frankly excited to go around the neighbourhood, but at the same time nervous. H2H campaigns weren't always pleasant, but it's still a learning experience for you. Your barangay is riddled with supporters of the other camp, so this might be tough. You arrived early at the Hall, exchanging smiles with the trike drivers (who are all Kakampinks, too) that you passed by. It's as if you're a candidate yourself. As a daughter of a fellow trike operator, you're known amongst the toda.

"Uy, Y/N! Mangampanya kayo ngayon?" Kuya Rolly, a family friend, asked you. A yassified Leni Robredo tarpaulin is plastered at the front of his trike.

"Opo, Kuya Rolly. Punta ba kayo mamaya sa mini rally?" You asked in return.

"S'yempre naman! Para kay VP!" Kuya Rolly enthusiastically answered, and a passenger rode his trike. "Ingat kayo lahat ah!" He told you before driving away.

You sat down at the steps of the entrance and checked your phone for updates. Most of the volunteers are on their way, your friends are also almost here. A black car pulled up and the window rolled down, Tricia's head peeking from it. You perked up at the sight and excitedly waved at the doctor. They parked somewhere close and Tricia - oh, and Jillian too(?) - got out of the vehicle. Tricia ran to you and immediately enveloped you in a hug, you giggled at her enthusiasm and clinginess.

"Hi, Y/N! Ang aga mo ah!" Tricia opened once she let go of you.

You turned to Jillian briefly to give her a friendly wave. You were truthfully shocked at her presence today. When she returned the gesture, you answered Tricia, "Yes, Doc. Taga-d'yaan lang kasi ako, e."

Tricia made an 'ooh' sound.

"Sayang, wala si Miss Aiks. Kumpleto sana kayong Tres Marias ngayon." You said.

Tricia childishly crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "Kami na nga nandito sa harapan mo, ang Ate Aika pa rin hinahanap! Oo na, sino ba kasi kami."

You rolled your eyes in return and scoffed. "Ang drama, Doc! Allergic ako."

Jillian mumbled in annoyance, too. "Ate Trish, parang bata."

You chuckled at the remark of the youngest. You then addressed her, "Hello, Jill. Hindi ko talaga inexpect na makakasama ka rin pala."

Jill's brows shoot up and quipped, "Bakit? Ayaw mo ba?"

You forcefully exhaled through the mouth. "Hala, hindi naman! Akala ko lang kasi bumalik ka na ng New York, ganern."

She giggled at you and shook her head. "Next month pa 'yon! I think gusto mo yata akong umalis na, e. Sige, I can go home naman if you don't want me here," she jested.

You massaged your temples at the two. "Magkapatid nga talaga kayo," you deadpanned.

That earned you a chuckle from them.

You looked past them and see your own siblings are approaching, together with their own youth group. "Speaking of kapatid, ipapakilala ko rin pala mga kapatid ko."

Amihan waved at you with youthful energy as Ray is trailing behind. "Ate Y/N!" Amihan called out.

When they reached the three of you, you introduced your siblings. "Okay, Doc Tricia, Jillian, ito si Ray, 'yung pangalawa, and si Amihan, pangatlo namin. Mga kapatid, Doc Trish and Ate Jillian."

The four of them exchanged niceties and you noticed how Amihan is barely containing her kilig as she probably has the biggest crush on the doctor. You shoot her an Ate glare, as if warning her to simmer down.

Other members of the youth group also conversed with the Robredo sisters as you're all waiting for the others. When everyone has finally arrived, the teams are now being divided.

Ray suggested a good strategy and took out his curated map of houses and stalls to talk to, with marks of who the soft voters and diehard loyalists were. Apparently, he already scouted the neighbourhood so he planned ahead. You can't help but feel pride for your brother. He really is a good kid. "Bilang taga-rito rin po kami, siguro mas okay pong mahati 'yung mga maalam sa lugar at mga hindi gaano para hindi po maligaw at magkawatak-watak 'yung team."

Someone from behind poked fun at Doc Tricia good-naturedly, "Ay need ni Doc 'yan! Para hindi siya maiwan!"

The doctor pouted while everyone giggled. Everyone is so at ease with the Robredos now that you can all crack jokes and banter.

"Alright, thank you, Ray. Helpful 'tong mapa mo, salamat ha. So, sino ang mga sasama sa 'kin?" Doc Tricia spoke.

Lots of hands raised, including your own sister. Aries and Sugi were whispering, seemingly planning about something. Aries raised his hand, "Sama rin ako, Dockie."

"Ay wow, hiwalay muna kayo ni Kuya Sugs?" You asked Aries.

"Oo, for now. Kailangan may magbantay sa 'yo, e." Aries whispered at you.

You gasped and slapped his arm. "Ako pa talaga ha? Baka ako ang nakatokang babysitter ngayon?"

"Hindi mo sure." Sugi replied cryptically and smirked.

You frowned as you didn't get it. "Teka, bakit ikaw na naman pala kasama ko? Nagsasawa na ako sa apog mo. Baka p'wedeng si Aries naman."

"Wala ka nang magagawa, akling. Nandito na ako."

You crossed your arms in front of your chest and huffed.

The rest of you all will be on Jill's team.

The duties are now settled: Tricia's group are assigned at the market while Jill's team will be at the neighborhood.

Ray took you to the side to talk to you privately, "Ate, samahan ko muna si Ami. Kailangan bantayan kapatid natin lalo't kasama si Doc."

You looked over at Amihan and she's now engaged on a convo with the physician. You laughed at the view. Despite your little brother being taller than you, you ruffled his hair. "Sige, salamat diko ha. Ang galing mo rin kanina. Kakaproud."

Ray fixed his hair. "Ano ba 'yan, Ate. Wala lang 'yon. Sige na, text ka na lang namin."

"Sige, magiingat kayo ha. Bantayan si Ami nang maigi, uminom ng tubig ha!"

Ray gave you an "okay" sign before helping the other volunteers organize the paraphernalias they will be giving away.

You went back to your own team and also carried some of the materials you will need.

All of you assembled and someone lead a prayer circle for guidance. Jill then gave a short speech of encouragement, and the passion behind her words fired you all up.

"Tao sa tao, para sa bayan."

"Para sa bayan!" All of you collectively echoed.

"Fighting!"

--

Like you thought, this certain H2H run wasn't as easy as pie. Several people shunned you, even ridiculed some of you. But even then, you plastered a polite smile and walked away with chins up high. Their behaviours might have been too brash and would give you secondhand embarrassment with the way they act, but you remind yourselves they aren't the enemies. Never will be.

Most of your neighbours knew you, and they softened a little at the familiar face. They often refer to you as, "Uy, anak ni pareng F/N 'yan, 'di ba?" Hilariously noticing you first than the literal daughter of Leni Robredo.

So Jill would frequently nudge you and joke, "Naks, celebrity ka pala rito, Y/N?"

You would ride along and quip back with an arrogant 'tsk', "Emperds! Ako 'ata 'to? Mutya ng Krus na Ligas!"

The younger woman would laugh heartily.

When you reached a compound, your group have to disperse temporarily and will re-assemble back at the entrance. The team unanimously voted that you stick by Jillian as you're homegrown and therefore, knows the place better than everyone else. Of course, Sugi has to smirk and play matchmaker much to your annoyance.

"Kuya Sugi, nakakaloko 'yang ngiti mo ha. Parang kumakati 'tong palad ko na sampalin ka." You threatened in a whisper as you stayed behind watching Jillian converse with an old woman.

Sugi giggled under his breath. "Cute kasi ng dynamic niyo ni Jill. Bagay kayo, beh."

You fought the urge to pull at your hair in irritation. "Sana pala sina JD na lang kasama ko."

"Gusto mo pa pala dumoble panunukso sa 'yo? Okay, noted."

"Tangina mo talaga!"

Jillian turned to the two of you, reaching a phone out as the old woman wanted to take a picture with the youngest Robredo. "Papicture daw po kami ni Nanay."

You cheered at the successful conversion. Jillian really can win anyone over with her easy smile and sincere gestures. Sugi took the phone as you start to put up Leni-Kiko tarps at the front of Nanay's house. Jillian and the old woman don huge grins while their hands are doing the 'L' sign.

When it's done, Nanay held your arm and tilted her head in wonder. "Hija, 'di ba ikaw 'yung panganay ni M/N?"

--

"If I'd have a nickel every time someone asks about Y/N, mayaman na ako ngayon." Jillian blurted out as you are now down to the last houses you need to reach.

Everyone giggled at that.

"Satru, madzam. In fairness, effective 'tong si Ate Y/N," Pol, one of the younger volunteers, said.

"Mas pansin pa nga si Ate Y/N kesa kay Ate Jill," Irene, another youth volunteer, added with a laugh.

"Mas marami ring na-convert si Y/N! Asset na asset ng team." Jillian proudly said.

You snorted, wouldn't want to take the credit all to yourself as you all worked hard together. "Naku, tumigil kayo. Lalaki ulo ko niyan, sige. Taga-rito lang kasi ako kaya pamilyar sila sa akin. Tsaka enebe, we are a team here. All of our efforts contributed, at isa pa, may lucky charm kasi tayo! Nandito yata ang paboritong anak ni Leni."

"Yie, dream team pala kayo together," Sugi commented with a double meaning to rile you up.

You shoot daggers at your friend. "No, we are the dream team." You reiterated.

This run is exhausting, but it's almost done. You've lived here your whole life but you didn't know Brgy. Krus na Ligas is this big. After this, you all could rest, assess and plan for future campaigns, and wait for the mini rally later.

"Okay guys, I think mas maigi sigurong hiwalay ulit tayo rito para mas marami pa tayong makausap. This will be our last stop for the day. Kaya pa?" Jillian spoke.

"Kakayanin!" The rest said in unison.

"Alright, buddy system ulit tayo ha." Jillian declared.

Jill would pick last so everyone could pair up with whomever they want to, so Sugi made sure to partner with someone else so you wouldn't have a buddy with you. This left you no choice but to be with Jillian. Sugi would definitely get a beating later.

"Nice, I'm with the celebrity pala." The younger woman joked when you stopped beside her. "Okay everyone, regroup na lang ulit later! Ingat kayo."

And with that, you all went separate ways.

You're currently walking on one of the most dangerous alleys of your barangay. The sun is still out so you're not afraid, but even at night when you walk this alley, you're not worried.

You've been holding on to your pee for quite a long time now and you truly can't keep it in any longer. Luckily, there's a carinderia nearby which has a public restroom. You are ashamed of making Jill wait so you told her she could go on ahead and you will be with her in a flash.

As soon as you're done, you walked outside the establishment and looked for Jill. You see her being surrounded by men you always pass by and your protective instinct kicked in and made you run to her quickly. You draped an arm around Jill's shoulders once you reach her and addressed the men.

"'Musta, mga p're," you said coolly.

"Uy, si Boss Y/N pala 'to!" One of the men said when they noticed you.

You trust these men as you're a bit acquainted with them, you've always been friendly with everyone on your barangay, even the so-called "criminals". You know you're safe with them, they're nice, but they're also a bit intimidating towards tourists. And Jill is a tourist, sure she can handle herself and has her own security detail lingering by as she's the VP's daughter, but you still want to ensure her safety when she's around you.

"Ay kasama mo pala 'tong si Ate. Ambait niya. Kinakausap lang namin." Efren said.

"Talaga ha? Hindi niyo tinatakot si Jill? Umayos kayo," you said while pointing at them.

"Grabe ka naman sa 'min, tolski. Good boy kami, 'no." Macmac answered.

"Pink ka pala, Y/N?" Ryan asked.

"Oo, kayo ba?"

"Pink na rin kami. Kung sa'n tropa namin, d'un din kami." Efren answered.

"Uy tsaka magaling 'yon si Ma'am Leni. Beneficiary tatay ko n'ong financial assistance niya." Ryan said.

"Puta, English." Macmac commented which earned him smacks on the back of his head.

"Ah oo, n'ong inatake si Mang Estong?" Darius curiously asked.

"Oo 'yon nga." Ryan responded. "D'on na tayo sa subok. Tambay lang tayo, pero 'di naman tayo bobo talaga, 'di ba mga tol?"

"Oo, tama tama. BBM na tayo, Babaeng Bicolanang Magaling," Macmac said while doing the 'L' sign.

Jill giggled at his comment, just contently listening at the discourse. Her throat is also strained a bit from the constant talking so she'd take this rest to her advantage.

You let go of Jill. "Ayan, ayos. Edi sama na kayo sa 'min mangampanya. Tsaka magdamit nga kayo! Mamaya hulihin na naman kayo ng mga Tanod," you reprimanded them and gave away some Leni-Kiko shirts. You also gave them spare pink face masks. "Oh eto, masks."

"Yown, tenkyu tenkyu lodi," Ryan said.

"Uy Y/N, birthday ni Darius sa sunod na linggo. Hindi ka na nagagawi rito para tumagay," Efren told you.

The other men echoed their agreement.

You sighed and took out a hanky to wipe the sweat on your forehead. "Sige next time, mga p're. Medyo busy pa, e."

"Goods 'yan. Tara tulungan na natin anak ni Ma'am Leni mangampanya sa mga kapitbahay. Kami bahala senyo, mga lods," Darius said.

And your acquiantances took some of your fliers they could read and give away.

You patted the top of Jill's head to take her attention. "Okay ka lang ba, Jill?" You asked in concern.

Jillian hummed and nodded. "I'm alright, Y/N! Mababait sila sa 'kin kanina bago ka dumating."

You breathed in relief. "Buti naman. Medyo gago kasi mga 'yon kapag may bagong salta, e. Harmless naman sila, mostly. Pero buti hindi ka nila inano."

"Andami palang perks kapag kasama si Boss Y/N dito sa barangay niyo." Jillian said.

You chuckled. "Saks lang. Malayo lang talaga nararating ng pagiging mabuti sa mga kapitbahay. Komunidad din naman kasi kami rito, kaya kami-kami lang din magkakakampi."

You didn't notice how Jill's gaze softened in admiration for you as you're walking slightly ahead.

"Gets ko na bakit gustong-gusto kang kasama ng mga Ate during H2H. Iba kasi charm mo." Jillian replied lowly.

You turned around and started walking backwards. "Naku, I disagree. Malakas nga ako mang-alaska. Lagi ko ring inaasar mga kapatid mo."

Jillian protested. "Well, they still want you around, though. So I politely disagree rin."

"Edi let's just agree to disagree."

"Oks."

--

The group of men who tagged along with you and Jill proved to give more help than trouble. Another factor to win someone is to speak their language, relate to them on a personal level. After all, grassroots campaign is only effective if you're one with the people. Ryan and his gang raised some great points as to why they're campaigning for Leni-Kiko. It surprised you how articulate they were, and how they could gently rebuff counterpoints with ease - might be a little too over-the-top sometimes but the thought is there. As though they've been doing this longer than you. It will always be true that there are a lot of potential geniuses in the lower classes, these group of men were out-of-school youth that could've been great professionals if given a better chance.

Ryan is also a living testimony and his actual experience gives him more credibility to speak of VP Leni's programs for the poor.

"E ayoko kay Leni, babae. Mahina ang loob," a middle-aged man argued.

Misogynistic comments as to why they won't consider Leni are always expected. Before you or Jill could speak up, Macmac already opened his mouth.

"Paano ka pinanganak, Kuya Dado? Cesarean o normal?"

"Normal, bakit?"

"Oh sige, 'di ba masakit matuli? Isipin mo ang babae kapag nanganganak, 'yung sakit ng tuli gawin mong five times. Tapos hindi lang sa ari ang sakit, ah. Kakalat pa 'yong sakit n'on. Isipin mo binubuka, parang winawarak 'yung buong balakang mo para lang maglabas ng bata. Gano'n ka pinanganak ng nanay mo, Kuya Dado. Wala pang anesthesia 'yon. Tapos sasabihin mo, mahina loob ng mga babae? E minsan nga mga binatilyo ayaw magpatuli kasi naduduwag, e isang beses sa buong buhay lang naman ang tuli. E mga babae pa kaya na may buwanang dalaw tapos nagbubuntis ta's manganganak? Isipin mo gaano karaming lakas ng loob kailangan mo para maging babae." Macmac spilled his little speech.

"Ayon, panes!" Darius chided.

"Emosyonal masyado mga babae, e." Manong Dado answered.

"Luh, e sino ba madalas makipagsuntukan sa kanto kapag nalalasing na? Mga lalaki 'yon 'di ba? Wala halos mga babaeng nakikipagsabunutan kapag maoy na. Kasi mas lohikal mag-isip mga babae, hindi nila pinapapunta sa ulo ang alak!" Efren added, emphasizing his point by speaking with his hands.

"Tsaka gan'yan ba tingin mo sa asawa't mga anak mo, Mang Dado? Puro babae 'yon. 'Wag gan'on! Parang iniinsulto mo sila." Darius commented.

"Talaga kayo, binayaran ba kayo?" Manong Dado angrily spewed.

The group of men took out their empty short pockets. "Kung binayaran kami, edi sana nagiinuman na kami ngayon. E kaso wala, e." Ryan answered.

"Matapang pero may malasakit 'yon si VP Leni! Mas may itlog pa kesa sa ibang mga kandidato!" Darius added.

You take this as your cue to talk. "Mang Dado, hindi ka naman namin pinipilit. Pero kung bibigyan mo lang ng tsansang ipagpalagay sinong iboboto mo, sana nasa pagpipilian mo si VP Leni."

Mang Dado looked at you, he recognises you. You are the eldest of F/N and M/N and you used to tutor one of his daughters when she struggled at school before. With a resigned sigh, he took one of the fliers on Ryan's hand. "Oh sige na nga. Leni rin kasi mga anak ko, e. Makikinig ako sa kanila kasi para rin sa kinabukasan nila 'to. Penge ako ng tarpaulin niyo."

"Ayon, ayos!"

"Maraming salamat po sa paglaan niyo ng oras, Mang Dado." Jillian gratefully said.

The old man only nodded and the gang took a group photo with Manong Dado.

--

The whole campaign team reunited back at the Barangay Hall after a long tiring morning of convincing voters. You immediately geared into giving out water and food to the volunteers. Everyone excitedly chattered about their experiences, even the ugly ones. It also helps with gaining intel on how to approach people better next time. You checked in on your siblings first thing, telling them how proud you are of them, and promised to catch up later before the rally.

But before you and Jill went back to the Barangay Hall, you thanked Ryan and company for helping out even though they're not obliged to do so. Their words saying, "Ano ka ba, Y/N. Kilala ka namin na mabuting tao. Kaya may tiwala rin kami sa mga pinipili mo. Kasama mo kami, tolski." It made your and Jill's hearts swell. Their characters might be flawed, but you know deep down they're good and honest people. The circumstances would just sometimes test them. And this fight is also their fight.

They walked and saw you out of the street, saying they will attend the mini rally later.

When you're by Jill and Tricia's place to give the sisters cold water, Tricia asked you to sit down and take a rest. You were gonna protest when the doctor took your arm to forcefully sit you down.

"Ayan, medyo sorry for manhandling you, bestie. Pero ang stubborn mo kasi, e." Tricia half-heartedly apologized.

"Dasurv." Aries blurted out.

You mouthed your friend a silent 'namo'.

"A little bird told me na sikat ka pala rito senyo, Y/N ha. Dapat na ba akong manghingi ng autograph?" Tricia playfully said.

Your friends and Jillian are snickering at the side.

You took out a tissue napkin and a marker pen, scribbling an incoherent signature and gave it to Tricia, committing to the bit. "Sure, generous naman ako sa fans ko, e." You arrogantly said with a click of your tongue and winked.

Aries and Sugi threw their empty water bottles at you.

"Aray, nagkakalat ah!" You complained and picked up the empty bottles to throw in the recycling bin.

"Pero seryoso, Ate Pat. Ang astig ni Y/N, andaming friends," Jillian praised you.

You dramatically bowed to your audience while muttering, "thank you, thank you."

"Jill, nabanggit ba ni Y/N sa 'yo 'yung history niya with Ryan and friends?" Sugi said.

This made Jillian and Tricia frown in intrigue.

You laughed at the memory. "Ay oo, hindi ko pala nakwento." So you stood up straight and held your hips. "Gan'to kasi 'yan. Kaya kanina Jill tinatanong kita kung okay ka lang ba bago ako dumating, kasi nga 'di ba, medyo gago sina Ryan. Actually hindi ko naman sila mga tropa talaga, e. Pero naging repapips ko lang din sila kasi buong grupo 'ata nila, hinoldap ako at some point?" You laughingly told them.

The sisters gasped and their eyes widened in shock, while your friends are doubling over in laughter.

"No'ng hindi pa kasi ako nagrenta ng apartment sa Makati, s'yempre uwian ako lagi. Tapos 'yung kalye na 'yon kasi, shortcut sa 'min. Iniiwasan ko naman talaga 'yung daan na 'yon, pero minsan kasi kapag pagod na pagod na, wala ka nang ibang iisipin kundi makauwi na nang mas mabilis, 'di ba?" You said.

"Hindi ko na ikwento 'yung mga holdap moments kasi maraming beses 'yon nangyari. Skip na tayo sa exciting part. Bale one night, I had a long day sa work. Nag-OT kasi ako n'on tapos andami ring ibang personal problems. As in, stressed ang lola mo. Hindi ko na inisip kapakanan ko n'on, basta binaktas ko na lang shortcut sa 'min. Tapos nakita ko na agad sa may poste sina Ryan, nakaabang. Ako na lumapit sa kanila ta's sabi ko, 'Tangina Ryan, 'wag muna ngayon ah. Pagod ako. Sa susunod niyo na lang ako holdapin at baka kung ano magawa ko.' Tapos ayon, hindi nga nila ako hinoldap. Nag-sorry pa sila sa akin. Hinatid pa ako pauwi." You recalled laughingly.

"Since then no'ng uwian pa ako, tuwing late ako umuuwi, hinahatid na nila ako lagi o kaya ililibre pa ako ng balut. Pambawi raw sa mga kinuha nila sa 'kin. Na-guilty 'yung mga mokong, e. Parang may sariling bodyguards na rin tuloy ako n'on. Ta's 'yon, naging tropa ko na sila. Kapag may inuman, sumasama ako. Ginawa pa nga akong ninang ng anak ni Efren. Nakakatawa lang kasi solid naman sila. Sa pagkakaalam ko mula no'ng kinumpronta ko grupo nila, nag-iba na sila ng landas so nakaka-proud din naman." You concluded your story. "Kaya rin hindi na ako natatakot umuwi mag-isa kahit madilim dito sa 'min, may mga loyal subjects na kasi ako." You added with a laugh.

"Hindi mo sila nireport sa pulis?" Tricia asked.

You shook your head and grimaced. "Siguro kwestiyonable paraan nila para kumita ng pera, pero hindi ko sila masisisi. Minsan kapag wala na talagang makain, magiging desperado ka na ta's you'd have no choice but to go down the wrong path. Naiintindihan ko situwasyon nila kasi pare-parehas lang naman kaming mahihirap. Lalo na no'ng inatake ng stroke 'yung tatay ni Ryan na si Mang Estong, naiintindihan ko pinagdaanan niya n'on, kung gaano siya ka-desperado. Kaya hindi ako nagtanim ng poot sa kanila." You leaned in closer to continue in a whisper, "If anything, mas takot pa ako sa mga pulis. At kung ipapahuli ko pa sila, edi mas lalo lang silang walang makain." You then leaned back and stood straighter.

"Para sa iba, madali lang sabihin na 'edi maghanap sila ng trabaho, magbanat sila ng buto', without thinking na: Isa, masisipag naman sila magbanat ng buto pero hindi pa rin sapat sa pang-araw-araw dahil hindi pa minimum wage kinikita nila; Dalawa, hindi sila binibigyan ng tsansang makakuha ng mas matinong trabaho kasi jina-judge na agad sila; Tatlo, sobrang hindi maka-masa ang administrasyon kasi maski basic necessities hindi na ma-afford ng mga simpleng tao. Maski nga mga edukado nahihirapan maghanap ng trabahong naaayon sa skillset nila, mga mababa pa kaya ang napag-aralan?" You rambled.

Tricia nodded in agreement.

"Pero tsaka nagbagong buhay na rin naman 'yung mga mokong na 'yon. Maigi at may mga maaayos na trabaho na sila ngayon. Kaya okay lang din sa 'kin na naging stepping stone nila ako. Nabawi ko rin naman mga nakuha sa 'kin." You finished with a smile.

"Mahuhusay din sila Kuya Ryan. Ang galing nga rin nila mangampanya para kay Mama kanina n'ong sumama sila sa 'min," Jillian said.

You snapped and shoot her a finger gun. "Tumpak. Gan'on lang 'yung mga 'yon pero oks naman sila."

"Nakakaloka pa rin 'yung ilang beses kang naholdap! Nakakatakot 'yun!" Tricia exclaimed.

You laughed. "Magandang life lesson naman siya sa 'kin. Kasi dahil d'on, I invented ways to keep my things holdap-proof."

--

The mini-rally at the covered court is about to start now. The volunteers did so great with the organization of the event despite the small budget. Leni Robredo did say on her interviews last year way before the filing of COC that she doesn't have the resources if she ever run for Presidency, but due to her sterling track record and reputation of still producing amazing programs for all that is running on meager funds, people trusted the official better. Volunteers are the ones who finance the rallies and campaign paraphernalias for Leni, hence the running joke "Abunados for Leni" was birthed.

Another reminder that this campaign is historic due to it being more people-driven.

The program started and the pink crowd is overflowing on the court, enthusiastic to see and hear their candidate. Witty placards are also raised up in the air to further show their support. You and the other volunteers are distributed across the area to help with more organization or as crowd control. An indie band is currently entertaining the people.

"Ami, nasa'n si Kuya Sinag mo?" You asked your younger sister who is beside you.

"Nand'on sa may sound system keme, Ate," she answered while swaying to the song the band is singing.

You looked for your brother and he's indeed there. You nodded and asked again, "Kumain na ba kayo?"

"Opo, Ate. Nilibre kami ni Doc kanina ng kwek-kwek," she replied with a dreamy look on her face.

You shook your head in amusement.

Like you, your sister is gay too. You didn't come out to your parents, out of fear they would disown you. Your family isn't that religious, but still, some conservative values are practiced. You only learned of your sexuality in college, it was daunting but also liberating. You've had lots of suitors back in high school, and you all turned them down using the age-old reason of 'aral muna'. It's partly true on your case because you do prefer focusing on finishing studies first, but also you didn't like those boys. Aside from that, your confidence on yourself plummeted down when you faced a painful rejection, so you didn't pursue romance again.

Until college.

College was some of the best 4 years of your life. You learned so much, was exposed to a more diverse environment. You experienced a great young love during those times with another girl. It was unexpected, you didn't plan to engage on a relationship with her, but damn, was she so persistent. She's out and proud, confident, smart, wonderful. She helped you get out of your shell and was the one to recruit you to the org you joined. You became the best of friends, you understood each other deeply, and being with her helped you discover your own identity. It was fun... while it lasted.

Because like any other good things, your relationship with her ended. You didn't left things on bad terms, no dramatics and angry conversations, no third party nor falling out of love. Who would've thought a relationship could end on a positive note? A healthy relationship had a healthy break-up. You stayed as friends, still keeping track of each other's lives. The last you knew about her is she's now engaged to a man, and you're truly happy for her. She was your first and only love so far, but you experienced so much within that short amount of time. They said your first are sometimes also the worst because of inexperience and such, but not yours. If you would look for someone again, it better be like your first or better than it. She's now your standard.

Though sometimes it got you thinking. Perhaps it was your fault? Perhaps you just weren't sensitive enough to actually know her feelings? Perhaps she got tired of you hiding her from your family when she's confident of her own identity? She told you time and time again that you have no fault, that she understood. But there's just so much "what-if's" for you. What if you were ballsy enough to introduce her as a girlfriend and not only as a friend? What if you were brave enough that you came out to your family? Maybe she'd still be here. Maybe you could still love her.

But dwelling on "what-if's" never helped. It's already done, and things happen for a reason. She's now happy with someone else, you are content with being single as well. Though, you did picture her being there with you as you celebrate feats on your life as your partner.

You know you're strong and withstanding, but there are things you're still not courageous enough to confront.

Amihan on the other hand found the strength within her that you didn't have. If you were scared to even tell your parents you like girls, she was bold enough to announce to anyone at home she will court the girl she likes. It shocked and fascinated you to the core.

"Mama, Papa, mga kapatid. Bakla po ako. Sorry po, pero ito po talaga ako. Hindi ito dahil nakiki-uso lang o dahil kabataan lang ako na walang alam. Bakla po ako. Sana tanggapin niyo 'ko kasi ako pa rin naman 'yung Amihan na kilala at mahal niyo. Hindi naman po kabawasan sa akin na may gusto rin po ako sa kapwa ko babae kagaya ng pagkagusto ko rin sa mga lalaki." She bravely said, voice shaking a little. "Gusto ko po sana ligawan 'yung kaibigan ko."

Your father dropped whatever it is he's holding while your mother was rendered speechless. You were scared shitless for your sister's life and stood frozen at your spot. The house was silent for a while you could hear your blood rushing in your veins.

Ray was the first to embrace your sister and pat her back. "Tanggap kita, Amihan."

And it made Ami break into tears. Habagat, the bunso, also hugged his Ate Ami in support while muttering, "Ate Ami 'wag ka na umiyak, ampangit mo."

You let out a silent breath of relief, and your eyes turned glassy as you stare at your younger sister in pride and envy. You don't know where she got her power from, probably due to youthful naïveté, or she's just that strong. She made coming out look so easy. Well, probably because it actually is. You just aren't as daring.

And the fact your brothers were so accepting, it pulled on your heartstrings.

You looked at your parents' reactions to gauge if there are traces of negative emotions, and you're ready to defend your sister if things go awry.

Your father cleared his throat and you're praying to a higher force out there that he will not disown his daughter. He spoke in a disbelieving and weak tone, "Hindi ko naiintindihan, anak. Pero kung ganiyan talaga na nagkakagusto ka rin sa babae, tatanggapin din kita. Papa mo lang ako at wala akong magagawa pa."

Now your restraint failed and you cried along with your sister. You gave her a watery smile. Your mother went to Amihan to hug her baby as well while whispering comforting words to her.

There isn't a dry eye in the household.

"Ate?" Amihan weakly addressed you.

"S'yempre naman, Ami. Ate mo 'ko at mahal na mahal kita. Pero sana unahin mo muna pag-aaral mo bago ka manligaw. Sa'n mo kukunin pang-date mo?" You told her with a gentle scolding.

She chuckled a little and wiped her tears.

"Tama Ate mo. Tsaka uunahan mo pa ba siya? Wala pa ngang inuuwi 'yan. Saka ka na, Amihan." Your father added with a smile.

It's just that easy. Your sister set a precedent for you. You admire her vigor. The times are indeed changing and people are becoming more accepting. And there's hope in the younger generations, now they're more fearless in being their true selves, not taking prejudice from anyone anymore for loving who they want to.

With Amihan breaking free, you felt like a part of you also dipped outside the closet. Maybe one day, you can fully come out too.

"Naku, ikaw Ami ha. Sobrang kilig na kilig ka na naman kay Doc." You told your sister. "Baka magselos na jowa mo, sige ka."

Amihan replied, "Ate, hindi naman! Inspiration ko lang talaga si Doc. Ang bait kasi ta's ang talino. Tsaka 'yung jowa ko nga isa pa 'yon na Doc Tricia simp, e!" She then pointed outside excitedly. "OMG! Nand'yan na yata si VP!"

Black vans are parked just outside the court which made the crowd grow even wilder. The door opened, and out the smiling Presidentiable she goes. She waved at the people willingly and her security instantly shielded her from the people flocking around. She tried her best to reach their hands. She was escorted to the side of the stage and there she reunited with her daughters. A remix of "Kay Leni Tayo" started blasting on the speakers for her entrance. You beamed as well and people are now raising their placards and 'L' hand signs while chanting Leni's name.

The host then introduced the presidentiable and your ears started ringing from all the uproar. VP Leni took to the stage and she waved at the residents of Brgy. Krus na Ligas. When the host handed her the microphone, the noises simmered down a bit.

"Magandang hapon po sa inyong lahat!" VP Leni said.

When VP Leni started her speech, the people intently listened, hanging on to every word she speaks. Like you, they are also thirsty for good governance. You know that her words aren't just empty promises, that she would fulfill each and everything she said. She doesn't have to use flowery words to make her point across, nor to impress people. Her actions and willingness to serve already speaks for itself.

For someone who has been aggressively targeted by dark propaganda throughout her run as the Vice President, this woman continues to be unyielding. That shouldn't be the case, critics should always be allowed to air their grievances about the administration without being viciously attacked by trolls because that is everyone's constitutional right. It's just insane how people could commit such atrocious acts online and the second highest official of the land is at the receiving end of it. When all she does is serve the people and rightfully criticize the President's shortcomings for he has done nothing but disrespect her. Leni Robredo is such a class act.

As token of appreciation for everyone who took a time of their day showing their support for the candidate, VP Leni started her crowd-favorite part of the program: placard-reading. Each reading of placard, the uproar increases.

"Mga nag-Sick Leave for Leni."

"Mga anak ng Marcos supporters for Leni, oh, assignment niyo 'yan!"

"LGBTQIA+ for Leni."

People waved their Pride flags and Amihan hollered when she said that.

"Sandali, ano 'to, Kay Leni ang tunay na unity."

"I love you, VP Leni, ang ganda mo, ay oh, maraming salamat po. Napupuri tayo sa mga ganito."

"Babae para sa babae, #LenRisa."

Your sister thrashed wildly and Amihan screamed, "LenRisa layag!" on top of her lungs.

You nudged and scolded her, "Huy, pinagsasasabi mo?"

Amihan cleared her throat and answered, "Ah wala, Ate! Charot lang 'yon! Clout-chasing lang."

You raised a brow but let it slide. When the placard-reading is done, people now pushed forward to get the presidentiable's autograph and picture.

The place is getting a little too stuffy to your liking so you informed your sister you will go outside. You noticed your parents with Habagat, waiting patiently for their turn to talk to VP Leni. You approached them. "Naks, ang ganda ng shirts niyo, Ma ah."

Your mother smiled and replied, "Inorder ni Amihan para sa amin, 'nak. Sana makaabot kami kay VP Leni. May ibibigay lang sana." On her hand is a framed painted portrait of the Robredo Family she made. You got your artistic gene from your mother.

"Ang ganda ng pininta mo, 'Ma. Gusto niyo dalhin ko kayo sa may gilid, ipaabot natin sa mga staff niya? P'wede ko rin siguro pakiusapan sina Doc na iabot sa kaniya." You offered.

Your mother agreed and followed you as you leave your father and brother. Sugi and Aries saw you and your mother walk towards them and they instantly reached out for her hand so they could mano. "Hi, Ante! Pak, fresh si vebz!"

Your mother laughed at the couple. "Maghapunan kayo sa amin mamaya ha!"

Aries squealed in delight. "Ay opo, talagang maghahapunan kami senyo, Ante. Miss ko na luto mo!"

"Naku, nagpa-tuloy ka pa talaga ng mga palamunin, 'Ma." You sassed, to which your friends replied to with a shove.

"Ibibigay mo 'yan kay VP, Tita?" Sugi asked when he notices the frame your mother is cradling.

"Oo sana. Kahit maipaabot ko lang sa staff niya. Basta alam ko lang na makarating sa kanya." Your mother replied. "Pasasalamat lang sana sa mga ginagawa ni VP."

"I'd personally see to it na makakarating po kay Madam 'yan, Tita." Sugi assured your mother.

Just in time, Leni's assistant, Aica passed by your group so Sugi stopped the woman. He whispered on her ear and pulled your mother closer. The three talked for a moment and your mother nodded while smiling as she passes the frame to Aica. The latter walked away with your mother's gift in hand. You watched as she reaches VP Leni and tapped her to get her attention, then showed the portrait to her and pointed to where your mother is. VP Leni scanned the portrait and she looked at your mother's direction, eyes bright and smiling.

"Oh 'Ma, nakita na ni VP regalo mo." You whispered at your mom and looked down on her. Her eyes are a little teary.

"Sana magustuhan niya, anak." She said.

"Panigurado 'Ma, magugustuhan niya. Baka isa kang talentadong ina?" You joked, emphasizing the talentadong ina with intonation referencing a TV Gag show segment.

"Gaga ka talaga, 'nak." She laughingly answered.

The program is almost ending which means time to go home for your family. As a volunteer, you will stay a little while to help with the cleaning up of the court a bit so the workload for the organizers would lighten. Then after that, all of you would go back to the HQ to return some of the props for the next H2H campaigns.

You're cleaning up with the other volunteers when you see your parents are being approached by VP Leni herself. You witness the interaction from afar, how the matriarchs are conversing and your father is buzzing with energy at the side. They're nodding and laughing together, then Amihan took the initiative of taking a family group photo with VP Leni. Your mother then skimmed the crowd, when she finally finds you, she pointed at you and the presidentiable's eyes landed on you. You awkwardly waved at them.

You continued doing your job, unaware that someone stopped beside you.

"Nagmana ka pala sa Mama mo," Jillian said, startling you.

You held a hand against your heart, "Shuta ka, gurl. Nagulat ako."

She only giggled. "Dahan-dahan na kasi sa kape." When you continue doing your task, unintentionally ignoring Jillian's presence, she spoke up again. "Hindi ka ba talaga marunong magpahinga?"

You tilted your head at her. "Nagpapahinga naman ako, mars."

Jill hummed in challenge. "Right, pustahan. I'll see you pa ulit sa HQ mamaya even though you literally live in this barangay then umuwi na lang instead."

Now this made you stand up straighter and you held your hips. You tried wracking your brain for a comeback, but you can't, because she's right. So you took a breath and faced her fully. Her cute face has a smug expression on it and dang, do you wanna wipe that off of her face. Bunsos of the family really has their way of annoying the panganays. "Tama ka na, sis."

Jill clapped once in triumph. "So I win, may premyo ako."

You lifted one brow at her. "Premyo? Lah, barbero. Wala namang gano'ng usapan ah? Hindi nga ako nag-agree? Scammer." Since the younger woman is here, might as well ask for her help. "Jill, p'wedeng patulong buhatin 'tong monobloc chairs sa dulo ng court?"

She nodded and held the other end of the stack. "E wala na, nasabi ko na."

"Be careful lang, ah." You reminded her as you carry the chairs. When you two successfully transported it, you turned to her. "Ang kulit mo. Oh sige na, ano bang gusto mo, gurl?"

Jill looked away for a while to ponder. "I know marami ka nang friends, pero baka p'wede mo 'kong idagdag," she said.

You huffed a silent chuckle. "Wala na, puno na," you teased, but then took it back. "Oh sige na nga. Basta tatawagin kitang Jingjing."

That's your initiation for a new friend, giving them an absurd nickname.

She asked incredulously, "Jingjing?"

"Oo, Jingjing. Jill, Jingjing. You look like a Jingjing. It has a nice ring to it," you said with a hand on your chin. Then you came up with an even more absurd nickname. "O mas gusto mo ba ng Jililing?" You said with a laugh.

Jill scoffed. "Parang ginawa mo naman akong bata."

"Bata ka naman ah?"

"I'm almost 22!"

"Bata pa nga."

"Nagsisisi na 'ko. I don't want to be your friend."

"Sinukuan mo naman ako agad, Jingjing? Awit, 'ge oks lang ako."

--

It's 9 PM back at the HQ, your body is a little sore from all the activities you've done. The last of the boxes are now unloaded at the storage room. You stretched your arms and back, and made satisfying cracks and pops, though a road roller would do your back a favor. But you can't complain, the work you're doing couldn't even compare to the half of your candidate's efforts. VP Leni should really endorse Ber*cca.

You're now ready to go home, your friends are already waiting at your house, your parents already pulled them away. Sometimes it's ridiculous how parents love their children's friends better than their own children.

You're about to knock on the office door to notify anyone you will leave now when it opened, VP Leni herself is in front of you.

"Uhm, good evening po, Madam VP!" You greeted. Tricia and Jill are behind her so you greeted them as well.

"Oh, ikaw pala 'yan, Y/N. Good evening din sa 'yo. Pauwi ka na ba?" She asked.

"Opo, Madam. Magpapaalam na nga po sana ako." You answered.

"Gan'on ba? Sumabay ka na sa 'min. Taga-Krus na Ligas ka naman, 'di ba? On the way naman 'yon." She offered.

You shook your head and politely refused. "Ay naku, Madam! 'Wag na po, ayokong makaabala. Okay lang po, salamat po sa alok. Malapit lang naman po so kaya ko na'ng mag-commute pauwi," you answered.

But Leni is Leni, unyielding and stubborn and caring. "Hindi, Y/N. Isasabay ka na namin. Pauwi na rin naman kami. Nanay din ako at baka mag-alala ang mga magulang mo sa 'yo. Delikado na at baka mapano ka pa."

You gently chuckled and huffed, "Ha! Madam, baka sila po ang mapano sa akin. Sila po ang mag-ingat from me." You arrogantly said, which made the Robredo daughters laugh as they know that story. Leni's not one to back down from an argument, she's a lawyer after all. So you already appealed to her (with a slight joke to lighten the situation), "Oh sige, Madam. For your peace of mind po, i-text ko kayo kapag nasa bahay na ako."

Would she bite? Of course Leni won't—

"Sige, bigay mo number mo sa akin, at i-text mo ako pagkauwing-pagkauwi mo."

This is what you get for continuously challenging the universe, you truly never learn.

You let out bated breaths in utter disbelief. Your eyes as wide as saucers are staring back at Leni's serious ones. You nervously chuckled, "Hala, si Madam hindi mabiro! Eme lang po yorn?" You swallowed and gazed at the daughters behind her, asking for help. When the sisters only gave you tightlipped smiles trying to stifle their laughters, shaking of their heads, and silently mouthing, 'there's nothing we can do' knowing their Mother is uncompromising, you sighed in defeat. "Okay po, ito po number ko, Madam." You weakly showed your phone screen with your number on it to her.

She instantly copied the number to her phonebook, made a missed call so you could get hers, and nodded. You scratched the back of your head and saved her number as she's watching you like a hawk.

"Ayan, meron ka na ng number ko, ha. Ite-text mo 'ko agad, Y/N." She spoke in an authoritative voice.

"Opo, Madam. Textmates na po tayo."

"Mag-iingat ka ha!" She said again.

"Opo, Madam. Salamat. Ingat din po kayo."

"Sige, salamat din." She then placed a hand on your shoulder before walking away and telling her daughters they could wait for her at the van.

Tricia and Jill guffawed at your situation.

When Tricia recovered, she told you, "In fairness, ha. Medyo napapayag mo naman si Mama. Usually kasi she really won't take no for an answer. I thought for a second na bubuhatin ka na niya papunta sa van. Though mas kampante rin sana ako if sasabay ka na lang sa 'min, bestie."

"Medyo kinabahan nga rin ako, e. Konting-konti na lang, titiklop na rin ako kay Madzam. Tsaka okay lang, Doc. Promise. Salamat sa offer. Oh siya, una na me. Kinukulit na rin kasi ako nina Aries na nagugutom na raw sila."

"Okie, ingat ka Y/N ha! Text mo rin kami agad when you get home. Maraming salamat for today. Sa susunod ulit!" Tricia bade and hugged you.

"Sure, Doc. Malakas ka yata sa 'kin!" You answered. You turned to Jingjing and pat the top of her head. "Good night, Jingjing." You taunted her.

Jill rolled her eyes at you, still not used (and a little annoyed) at the Jingjing nickname, "Good night, Y/N. Mag-ingat sila sa 'yo."

You chuckled, snapped and shoot her with finger guns. "Korique!"

You walked away now and someone shouted 'see you!'. You don't know who it was but you turned a little, waved in the air, and shouted back with a 'kitakits!'

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

965K 22K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
68.4K 1.4K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...
672K 33.8K 61
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
117K 4.6K 47
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...