Sold (complete)

By vanessapiccolo

I couldn't make any promises but I didn't want to anger anyone here. If I had any hope of escape, it was betw... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
35
Amazon

The real 34

108K 4K 415
By vanessapiccolo

I wish everyone could see the facial expressions I make when I read some comments. *sigh*

Also, check out the video I posted on YouTube. I am making another one where I talk about my big, terrible mistake with this story. But oh well. I am only human, right? (Unfortunately)

"Hey, Liam," I called as I walked into his room.

He looked up from some paperwork and offered me a light smile.

"Yes?"

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Unfortunately, no."

I sat on the bed and watched him work for a minute.

"Are you sure?"

He laughed lightly. "Are you bored?"

"Yes."

"When is Azrael due back?"

I shrugged. "I thought he would have been back already."

He made a small grunt of acknowledgement and turned back to his paperwork.

I glanced around the room. It was smaller than Liam's room at home, but it was still just as elegant. Gold accented every detail of the room.

"Do you want to go to church today?"

Did I? Could I honestly step foot inside of a church and not think about what I did with Azrael? I didn't necessarily regret sleeping with him, but I was a little drunk and I probably would not have made that decision sober.

"Anna?" Liam called my attention.

"Yeah, sure," I agreed.

"It's not a bad thing, Anna," he said softly.

"What isn't?"

"That you slept with him. It doesn't make you a bad person."

"I know . . . I just wish I would have been more sober."

He nodded in acceptance. "I understand, but do you honestly think you would have ever lost it if you were sober?"

"Eventually."

"You love him, don't you?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Then it's fine. As skeptical as I am of him, even I can admit that he does care about you."

"Then why are you still skeptical of him?"

"Archangels can be . . . They are not the most reliable."

"He's different."

Liam nodded absently. "I said he cares about you and I'll stand by that. Hell, he probably does love you. Still, it's not in him to disobey a direct order from God. He is programmed differently."

"What do you mean?"

He came to sit next to me. Though he was close, I didn't feel like it was inappropriate. His intentions towards me felt different. It felt more protective than anything.

"His only purpose is to charter souls. He wasn't created with emotions or a conscience."

"Then how do you explain this?"

"To be honest, I don't know. It concerns me and that is why I reacted strongly."

"He said if I die, you die. Is that why you were so mad?"

"Partially. It is incredibly selfish of him to want us dead just so he doesn't have to come to Earth as often."

"He said I don't have to die if I don't want to."

"He's saying that now. We shall see what happens in a few centuries."

"What if I want to die?"

"Do you?"

I shrugged.

"If you die, you're stuck in Heaven. If he gets tired of you, that's it. You won't have an opportunity to be with anyone else."

"I won't?"

"No. That's not how Heaven works. If you die, he will be your entire life. There will never be anyone else. If he leaves you then you're all alone."

I hadn't thought that far in advance. I had been wrapped up in everything and forgot to take a step back to look at the big picture. It was actually terrifying to think of that. What if he did get tired of me? Things were moving very quickly, but I had known him for over a year.

"He wouldn't do that to me . . . Would he?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I'm not trying to discourage you from seeing him. I think he is a good match for you, but you should be cautious."

I nodded. "Do you think he would leave me?"

"Not by choice."

"So only if he was ordered?"

"Maybe. I really don't know. I just want you to make an educated decision."

"This is a disaster, isn't it," I groaned. I fell back on the bed and covered my eyes with my hands.

"Not a disaster, but you should be cautious."

"Maybe I should talk to him more when he gets back."

"Probably. Should be any day now, right?"

"It's been a week. I hope it's soon."

He nodded and looked at his gold watch. "Well, let's get going."

I followed him out of the room and down the hall to a set of stairs. We made our way through the foyer and out the front door to a waiting car. He opened the passenger side for me. I slid onto the warm leather and watched as he walked around the front.

I kept my eyes on the countryside as Liam drove back to the city. I wondered where Azrael was. It had been a week and he said that would be the longest he would be gone. I had a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something wasn't right. I trusted Azrael. I knew him better than most and I knew he wouldn't just leave me. If he didn't want to be with me for whatever reason, he would tell me.

"Liam?"

"Hm?"

"Something isn't right."

"What do you mean?"

"He wouldn't just not show up."

"Maybe something came up."

I shook my head absently. "No."

I didn't know why I knew something happened, but I did. This wasn't right and I could feel it.

"Something's wrong."

"You're obsessing. Just relax."

"How am I supposed to relax with all of this going on?"

"Pierce and I are handling it. You're too far from the council to be harmed and Azrael is in Heaven. Everything is going to be fine, Anna."

Maybe he was right. Maybe I was panicking for no reason. I did have a tendency to overreact, but I didn't feel like I was overreacting. I had never had a feeling this bad before. My stomach was in knots and my chest felt like it was cinched together.

He stopped in front of a giant church. The pointed tops looked like they were stabbing the sky and a giant crucifix hung above the large wood doors.

We stepped out of the car and on to the sidewalk. The looks we received were odd and I didn't really understand them. I looked to Liam for an answer, but he simply smiled at me and offered an arm.

I placed my hand in the spot he created and leaned over to him.

"Why is everyone staring at us?"

He glanced over at me, confused by my question.

"What do you mean?"

"Look."

He glanced around and understanding coated his eyes.

"You're not used to being around humans."

It was true. Where we lived, most people were vampires. Even the small town near the castle, almost everyone was a vampire or involved with a vampire.

"I guess not."

"We look unnatural to them."

I hadn't thought about how I looked to others. I never put much emphasis on it when I was human and after being sold into slavery, I wasn't given the option.

"How?"

"We don't move like humans and we certainly don't look like them. Did you forget you have red eyes?"

I hadn't forgotten, but I didn't think I looked that different. Sure, a little better than before, but not a huge difference.

"No. I just thought I looked the same."

"Well, I did not see you prior to your change, but I would assume you changed physically."

I nodded.

As we walked through the doors, I was blown away by the beauty of the church. The ceilings stretched taller than I had ever seen before. Stained glass and intricate paintings covered every inch of the building. I could hardly walk down the red runner because I was so engrossed with the stunning details. The alter was even detailed and looked like it was made of marble. Hundreds of wooden pews lined the sides, all of which looked original to the church.

Liam led me closer to the front. We made our way to the third pew and kneeled before entering. It had been a year since I stepped foot in a church, but I couldn't forget the customs. They had been engrained in me for years.

Liam pulled the padded bench down and we went to our knees. It had been a very long time since I talked to God in this setting and now that I was on His radar, I wasn't sure I wanted Him to listen. I knew He was aware of my relationship with Azrael and I wondered how He actually felt about it. I wasn't going to take Michael's word for it.

I prayed for forgiveness and understanding. I hoped He would forgive me for everything I had done. I hadn't been the most faithful in the last year. I let my mind get in the way of my faith and that was never something I wanted. I had been angry with God. I blamed Him for allowing this to happen to me, for putting me in this position.

I sat back on the pew and Liam followed shortly. He pushed up the bench and sat close to me. Every time I looked around, my eyes caught something new to look at. I looked at all the people, my eyes settling on the back of an onyx haired man. I would know that head of hair anywhere. I moved closer to Liam to get a better view, just to make sure.

"What are you doing," Liam whispered.

"I think . . ."

"It's not him."

I looked over at Liam, confused.

"It's not Azrael. Sit down."

I slumped back in the pew, irritated. I wanted Azrael to come back already.

The organs started and we watched the procession of the candles, Bible, and priest.

It did feel good to be back in a church and listening to a priest. There was something comforting, completing about mass.

We sat through the mass and filed out with the rest of the people.

"What'd you think?" He asked.

"It was refreshing. Thanks for bringing me."

"You're welcome. We can go as often as you'd like."

I half smiled. "You know, when you're not treating me like a servant, you're actually a pretty nice guy."

He laughed. "Thanks, I think."

"You're welcome," I said with a smile.

As we made our way back to the car, I half expected Azrael to be there, but he was not. I couldn't deny the disappoint that gripped me.

"Pierce and I were talking," Liam started as he opened the door for me.

I glanced up, curious, but he shut the door.

"About?" I asked as he slid into the driver seat.

"About giving you your own apartment on Pierce's property. We're going to be here awhile and I thought you might like your own space."

"Really?"

"Yes. If you're interested."

"What's the catch?"

"No catch. I genuinely want you to be comfortable."

"Why?"

"Because, Anna, whether you like it or not, you belong to me. I only want what's best for you."

I nodded. "But you said you still own me. Like a slave."

"I said it out of anger."

I scoffed. It was still a touchy subject for me and I wasn't entirely comfortable talking about it.

"You still said it."

"I was angry."

"That's not an excuse."

"You're right," he agreed. "Still, I would like to make it up to you. I know you want some independence and this is a good way to obtain that."

I nodded slowly. "Okay. When can I move in?"

"They're setting it up now. I figured you would say yes."

I laughed though it was half heartedly. "Yeah, well, after having to share a room with Lisette for a year, I could definitely use some space."

He nodded in agreement and we fell into a comfortable silence. Being quiet with Liam was not awkward at all like I thought it would be. It was a strange mix of knowing exactly what he wanted and liked, but not really knowing him.

"Anna?"

I tossed my attention from the countryside to him. He looked concentrated and a little nervous. It was unsettling to see him nervous on any level.

"I know you don't want to talk about it, but I need to know what happened to you in that auction house."

"Why?"

"So I can punish those responsible."

"Are you going to shut it down?" I asked, hopeful.

"No."

I felt my smile drop. "Why not?"

"The auction provides cheap labor and loyal servants."

"It's a horrible place."

"I'm sure it was jarring-"

"Jarring doesn't even begin to cover it. Do you know how I was sold as a certified virgin?" I asked bitterly. "I woke up in a different state completely naked and freezing cold. They drugged me even though I was too terrified to try anything, but that didn't matter to them. They dressed me up like a cheap whore and paraded me around in front of a room of men. It was the single most degrading experience of my life."

He nodded. "If I showed them to you, could you identify them?"

"Probably. What does it matter though?"

"Because you are mine."

"So? You're not going to make it stop so why bother?"

"Don't you want to see justice for what they did to you? It will teach them to treat their merchandise better."

"So that's what you would have seen me as?" I asked deadly low.

"Merchandise? Yes."

I glared at him. "Pierce doesn't buy slaves."

"Pierce is too forward thinking for his own good."

"You don't see the value in humanity?"

"No, I don't. Humans are a food supply and nothing more."

"I'm going to laugh in your face when you fall in love with a human girl and she's sold at an auction."

He laughed though that was not the reaction I wanted. "I could never fall for a human. It would be beneath me."

"You're so arrogant and I don't really understand why. You have to live in a hidden world while humans roam free. Seems to me they have the upper hand."

"Not for long."

I scrunched my face in confusion. "What?"

"As soon as I'm done with this council, we are taking over. Humans have ruined this planet for too long. If I let them, they will make themselves extinct and that would not be good for any of us."

"Are you seriously talking about world domination?" I asked in disbelief.

"If anyone can do it, it's me. They need to be controlled, Anna."

"I was human."

"You were, which is why I am having this conversation with you."

"Did you think I was going to be supportive of this?"

"No. I knew you wouldn't be. Look, it's not like I'm going to enslave humans, but they need guidance. You can agree with that, can't you?"

"Well, yeah, I guess, but put yourself in my position. How do you think you would feel if Bridget was kidnapped and sold?"

"It would never happen."

"That's what my family thought too."

"She is a princess."

"So? If you do this, she'll be at risk. Everyone will be trying to take you down and that's the easiest way to do it."

"By killing my sister," he said sarcastically.

"By killing both of us. You're putting me at risk too."

"No one will touch you."

"I never thought anyone would kidnap me either."

He stayed quiet for a moment. I knew I had only irritated him, not actually changed his mind in any fashion. Still, I had to let him know that I did not support this.

"It's crazy, Liam."

"It's not crazy. It's what is going to have to happen. I'm sorry you don't agree with it, but that's the plan."

I shook my head. "Why don't any of you get it? It's wrong. I can stand behind you taking control of world, but I can't stand by and pretend like I'm okay with you allowing slavery."

"That is something you and I will never agree on."

"Apparently not."

I shook my head and crossed my arms tightly across my chest.

"Look, Anna, I don't want to fight with you about this."

"Then why'd you bring it up?"

"I wanted you to tell me who mistreated you."

"I'm no different than the other girls. I was unfortunate enough to be thrown in this situation, but that doesn't make me any different. I was violated and sold just like the rest of them."

He fell back into silence only now it was tense. I couldn't believe he thought I would be okay with the auction.

We pulled up to the house and before he could come open my door, I pushed it open and stepped outside. I had no desire to be around him.

I stormed inside the house with Liam following closely behind. I spotted Pierce out back playing with Zeus. Even though he pretended to be irritated by Zeus, I knew he liked him.

I made my way through the house to the back and stepped outside with my arms crossed. Pierce threw a ball and watched Zeus sprint after it.

"What's with the black cloud around you?" Pierce called.

"I'm fine."

"Lies. What did Liam do now?"

"Why is it always my fault?" Liam interjected.

"Because it is. She hasn't been mad at me yet, has she?"

I laughed a little, but quickly covered it when Liam shot me a hard look.

"I didn't do anything, Anna," Liam said.

"You know why I'm angry."

"The auction," he guessed.

"It's wrong, Liam. You need to shut it down."

"So you would like it to go back to the way it used to be? It was a black market before and infinitely worse. If you think you had it bad there, you have no idea what others have gone through."

"You can't buy and sell people!"

"You're never going to let this go, are you?"

"No."

"Fine. If that will shut you up, then I will stop the auction houses. I just hope you understand the repercussions."

"I understand girls won't be kidnapped and sold."

"You are so naive, Anna. Girls will continue to be kidnapped and sold only now it won't be legal. There won't be any standards to go by so they can treat these girls however they want."

I shook my head. "I can't believe you."

"And since you want this so badly, you are going to head the campaign."

"What?" I sputtered. "I don't know the first thing about politics."

"Good. You won't be corrupt then."

I couldn't believe he was putting this on me. I wanted it to end, but I didn't want to be the face of it. I was never good with public speaking. I hated debates in school.

"I thought I was supposed to be hiding from the council."

"Nothing is happening until the council is settled."

I absently reached down and pet Zeus on his head. He nudged my hand with the ball wanting me to throw it, but I was a little preoccupied.

"Fine. You have to help me though."

"I suppose I could."

I nodded absently. As annoying as he was, I still felt unreasonably connected to him. I didn't want to. I wanted to disagree with his opinion, but him being the one that created me made it impossible. I could never go against him despite how angry he made me. I wondered if this was what Uriel meant when he said I would do great things. Did that mean that I would be able to influence Liam's rule and turn it into something positive? I was probably the only person that he would even partially listen to and that was only because he had to. He was in my head and I could force my way into his.

"Don't even think about it," Liam warned.

I smirked. "It's only fair that I'm in your head too."

"It is not by choice that I am in your head right now. Trust me."

"You can tune it out at any time."

"Not exactly. You are much harder to ignore than I thought."

I shrugged and crossed my arms. I needed to do something to keep my mind off of Azrael. I needed a distraction because I was starting to feel like a desperate girl. Maybe I was though. Maybe what I thought was a connection was not to him. It could be. I mean, it had been a week already and there was no word from him. Maybe I should hold out for another week before freaking out about it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Charade By Greatliar

Mystery / Thriller

79 16 16
I knew it wouldn't be long before, everything would be exposed. And I was pretty prepared for that moment, especially with the presence of a girl who...
454K 11.6K 38
"But daddy, I don't want a slave. It's wrong." I said to him and he just shook his head. "Every Princess has one sweetie, it shows your power." He...
He's A Monster By Paytience

Mystery / Thriller

92K 4K 26
I was more than the injections, the past, and a "normal boy" I was a monster and there was nothing more I wanted than to show her that I didn't have...
31.4K 1.1K 22
I was the unwanted. I was the broken. I was the girl no one wanted to be friends with. I was the one who kept to myself scared of rejection. I was t...