The Lucky Doberman

By imjustvibinfr

Zoe is a girl who'd never run into a problem in her entire life. Her close friends and family joke that she's... More

Chapter 1: the Journey for a Job
Chapter 3: de Luca
Chapter 4: the Sheriff's Story
Chapter 5: Phone
Chapter 6: Money Math
Chapter 7: Jammed Guns and Job Changes
Chapter 8: Learning New Languages
Chapter 9: Coffee and Curse Words
Chapter 10: Tech Troubles
Chapter 11: Count
Chapter 12: Viviana
Chapter 13: Men in the Mansion
Chapter 14: Father
Chapter 15: She Smiles A Lot
Chapter 16: He's Hot
Chapter 17: Marriage Maybe
Chapter 18: Food Court Fight
Chapter 19: Secret Stories & Codes
Chapter 20: Be Kind to Yourself
Chapter 21: Answer the Phone
Chapter 22: Bandaids and Blankets
Chapter 23: Movie Makeout
Chapter 24: Rain
Chapter 25: Sick and Still Cute
Chapter 26: Soup and Surprises
Chapter 27: Types
Chapter 28: Tacos
Chapter 29: Jewelry Jewelry Jewelry
Chapter 30: When Asthma Attacks
Chapter 31: Another Wound
Chapter 32: Hands Are Enough
Chapter 33: Hospitals and House Tours
Chapter 34: Time To Learn
Chapter 35: Smile
Chapter 36: The Pain of Phone Calls
Chapter 37: Tears and Threats
Chapter 38: Caio
Chapter 39: Dramatic Decisions
Chapter 40: Our Uncle
Chapter 41: Planner...?
Chapter 42: Dinner With De Luca
Chapter 43: Chocolate Cake
Chapter 44: What Is It About Her?
Chapter 45: Pizza
Chapter 46: Cheating
Chapter 47: A Pretty Nickname and a Puppy
Chapter 48: Ruined Relationships. Run.
Chapter 49: $3000
Chapter 50: Safe Sleep
Chapter 51: Beautiful Bride...and Viviana
Chapter 52: Bridesmaids and Bodies
Chapter 53: D
Chapter 54: Pasta
Chapter 55: Clean on the Couch
Chapter 56: Hurt Bad
Chapter 57: If She Wants Champagne
Chapter 58: Meet the Parents
Chapter 59: High Priced Casino Biddings
Chapter 60: Time To Get Married
Chapter 61: Where's Lucky?
Chapter 62: Don't Think He Cares
Chapter 63: He's Scary
Chapter 64: Her Over Him
Chapter 65: Luck Ran Out
Chapter 66: It's Okay To Cry
Chapter 67: Why...
Chapter 68: The Months That Pass
Chapter 69: I'll Tell You
Chapter 70: You Remembered
Chapter 71: Waste The Day Away
Chapter 72: Ticklish
Chapter 73: I Can Do It
Chapter 74: The Most Untarnished Love
Chapter 75: Boredom
Chapter 76: Ma
Chapter 77: You Must Be Zoe

Chapter 2: A Hundred an Hour

10K 240 30
By imjustvibinfr

"What's the job for?" Nikki asked.
"It's a simple assistant job. I assume I'm gonna be working for some ceo or lawyer or some crap," I explained.
"Probably some old guy that can't move around on his own," Nikki snickered.
"Yea, but regardless, the pay is worth it," I shrugged.
"How much?"
"A hundred an hour."
"Are you serious?!" she exclaimed.

I went through my phone to show her the link.
"I spoke to the receptionist yesterday and my interview is in two hours." I said as she read through the description.

"Zoe, did you read this?" she asked me.
I looked at what her finger pointed to.

'Job isn't meant for the weak. Don't apply if you get sick to the stomach easy.' it read.

"Hm..."
"What do you think that means? They didn't exactly say what you'd be doing there," she stated.
"I don't know. Maybe I'll do away with dead bodies," I joked.
"That's not funny, that could be true. There are comments saying it sounds worrisome."
"Relax, I'm sure it's like a lot of cleaning or something. It doesn't really matter to me. I need money and they're willing to hand it over."
"Why is your interview at 8pm?" she questioned.
"I don't know." I shrugged.
"Zoe, I don't like this. You should try something different. This sounds really sketchy."
"Nikki, it's money. Money we've been without for a while now. I'm willing to send feet pictures at this point."
She sighed.

"It's okay. I'll call you on my way there and I'll tell you everywhere I go. I'll even send you a voice memo of what happens while I'm there. Just to have evidence since you worry so much."
"Okay..." she agreed. I could hear the reluctance in her voice.
"Everything's gonna be fine. Trust me."
"You're just always putting yourself in dangerous situations." she scoffed.
"When have I ever done that?!"
"When you gave that homeless man a ride thinking it was to his brother's place, but he sent you to a drug house, robbed it, then used you as a getaway car and you now have three bullet holes in the back of your Camry."

That did happen.

"That wasn't my fault." I stated.
"You're right. But...you're just too optimistic. You try to see the good in everything and sometimes that's not the case. I wish you had less of a backbone. It sounds weird, but you don't worry enough. Your happiness and hopefulness scares me." She walked off to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water.

I thought on her words.

I guess she was right.
Personally, I would think that she worries too much, but I know that probably isn't the case.

But from when I was a little girl, all the way up until now, I'd had very few problems. I'd survived this long and I'd been pretty lucky. My mom and dad started calling me Lucky as a nickname since I was little because I would always barely slip away from the hands of death or pain. I've never even had an injury. Not even a bug bite. That's why I'm never worried. Trauma is something I see on tv. Deep down I can't fathom the idea of it. The same way as I can't fathom being able to fly or being invisible. I know trauma is real. But if I've never experienced it, and I know I'm always okay. How am I supposed to be worried about it?
It never comes to mind.

"I'll try to be safe." I promised.
"Thank you. Please do. And call me. And record everything. And send me your location."
I snickered, "Okay, Nik, I promise. I'm gonna go get ready."
"Okay. Nothing too revealing. You don't know these people."
"Yes, ma'am," I sighed as I walked to my bedroom.

I was sure it was still a corporate job since they were the only ones who really used assistants.

I chose a nice, well covering, top and a pair of pants so that Nikki wouldn't have a heart attack.
She acts as though she's my mom. Her and my mom have actually gotten brunch together and discussed things like my asthma or my grades when I was in school as if they were my parental figures.
Which is fitting. I'd need two since my dad was more of a best friend.
He's been confronted by my mother for telling me to do things most dads wouldn't tell their kids. Like taking a shot with him. Or going to a shooting range. Every so often he'll roll his eyes at her when he realizes he needs to be a parent then looks at me and say, "Hey, don't be a dick."
My father is Italian. As long as I'm not an asshole or a bum, he doesn't really care.
My mother is the complete opposite and is not Italian.
She and Nikki are my parents basically.

Which reminds me, I need to call her.

The phone rang as I did my makeup and waited for her to pick up.

"BITCH!" I heard and she honked her horn. "Sorry, Lucky. Some motherfucker just tried to hop in my lane."
I snickered. The only time I ever see my mother being hostile is when it's towards annoying strangers.
"Hi, baby, how's it going? BITCH, I WILL FIGHT YOU ON THIS HIGHWAY!"
I laughed again. "Mom, do you need me to call you back later?"
"No, no, it's okay. There's just some sucky drivers on the road right now. Go ahead."
"Okay, well, I have a job interview."
"That's good! When is it? Tomorrow?"
"Tonight."

She propped her phone into the stand on her dashboard.
I saw her visible confusion.
"You and Nikki made the same face." I sighed.
"Why is your interview at night?" she asked me.
"I don't know. I didn't ask. Maybe they're too busy during the day."
"Lucky..."
"It's okay. I'm gonna send my location to Nikki and record the entire thing so she knows I'm safe."
"I don't know. That sounds really sketchy, sweetheart."
"Mom, I'll be fine."
"Hm..."
"Where's dad?"
"He's at home. He had the day off, so I respectfully asked him to do a bit of cleaning while I was gone and he said that he'd handle it. Lucky, if I get home and there's still dishes in the sink, I'm going to get my belt."
"I don't think you can whoop a 46 year old man." I stated.
"Says who?"
I snickered.

"When you arrive where you're supposed to be, send me your location too. Because I still don't trust this." she stated.
I sighed. "Okay, ma. I will."
"Thank you. Finish getting ready and tell me how it goes."
"Okay, I will."
"I love you."
"I love you too."
"Okay, bye bye."
We hung up.

I finished getting dressed and ready.

"Nikki, I'm heading out!" I called to her.

I listened to her jog out of her room.

She was pressing buttons on her phone.

My phone rang and I read the contact on it.

I looked up at her and she was staring at the floor with her phone pressed against her ear.

"Really?" I asked.
She looked at me. "Answer it!"
I rolled my eyes and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I greeted.
"Do not hang up until you arrive." she instructed through the phone.
"Yes, I know."
"Good. Drive safe."

I left the apartment and headed to my car with Nikki still on the phone.

My phone started ringing with my dad's contact as I hopped into the drivers seat.

"Hang on, Nikki. It's my dad. I promise I'll call you back." I told her.
"Okay."

I hung up and answered him.

"Lucky..."
He had the phone mic pressed close to his lips and he was looking around nervously.

"Yes?" I snickered in confusion.
"She's home." he stated. "She's home and I didn't do the dishes."
I laughed hysterically and backed out of the parking spot.
"That's not funny, she's looking for her belt."
"What're you gonna do when she finds it?"
"She won't find it. I hid it in the deep freezer in the garage when I heard her car pull up," he stated and I laughed again.

He looked at me.

"Where are you goin'?"
"Job interview."
"Job interview? It's fuckin' 7pm, who the fuck conducts a job interview at 7?"
"It's actually at 8."
"That's not better, Lucky."

I sighed.

"JADA!" my dad called my mother's name.
He propped his phone up and stood there with his hands on his hips as he waited for her.
"Where's my belt?" my mom asked immediately.
"Now's not the time for that, I'll get the dishes later. YOUR DAUGHTER just told ME she's got a fuckin' job interview at 8 o'clock at night. Where the fuck's she goin', huh?"
I groaned.
"I don't know. She told me that earlier."
"And you're just okay with that kind of shit?!"
"I don't know what you want me to do, Vinny. She said she's sending me her location when she gets there just in case and she's gonna record the entire interaction."
"That's fuckin' ridiculous." my dad sighed with his hands on his hips.

"It pays 100 dollars an hour." I told him.
He turned and looked at me. "You serious?" he asked.
"Yep."
"There's no way. That's six figures a year."
"I'm assuming the boss is a big deal. It's an assistant job."
"Huh. Well, what's one interview gonna hurt?" he asked.
"VINNY!" my mother shouted.
"WHAAAT?! The girl's gettin' paid!"

I snickered at their bickering.

"Hey, you look at me." My dad said and bent down in front of the camera.
"Dad, I'm driving." I said and looked at the road.
"Alright then don't look at me."
I scoffed.
"But you tell that man, your boss, whatever the fuck his name is, that your dad is 6'5 with a gun collection and large fists. I'll kill the motherfucker. I still don't like him askin' for a interview at 8 at night."
"Dad, you're 6'1."
"He don't gotta know that. What's the matter with you?"
"Okay, I'm sorry." I laughed.
"Alright. Be safe. Tell Nikki and your mother your whereabouts and don't get in any trouble."
"I promise."
"And pray for me. 'Cause your mother is staring at me while leaning against the sink and I think she's gonna hit me soon."
I looked at him looking up at her past the camera.
I laughed to myself.
"Hey, sweetheart. You look stunning," he told her.
"Wash the dishes, Vinny." my mother replied.
He rolled his eyes and looked back at me. "I love you."
"I love you too." I snickered.
We hung up.

I didn't call Nikki back because I arrived at my destination.

It was...creepy.
But not creepy as in possessed and haunted.
More like intimidating. But just the way it looked. I didn't get the vibe for me to go home so I tried to ignore it.

It was huge with at least ten floors.
They didn't try to make it pretty. It was just concrete.
Every vehicle parked was black with tinted windows.

I found a parking spot and sent Nikki my location along with a message.
'By the time I got off the phone with my dad I arrived. I'll call you when I'm out.'
She sent a thumbs up.

This place was kind of eerie. But I made myself feel better by saying it was just because it was at night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78 6 11
An Unordinary Mafia Love Story Implacable- Ruthless (Em-plah-cob-play) (This is also my first wattpad story! I will be taking comments and advices to...
1.6K 66 32
An Italian mafia boss named Luca met with a black girl named Sue-Ann, a freshman in college one evening. As their relationship continues to grow and...
614K 13.6K 67
{book two of the Gang love series} * I got pulled into an empty classroom and a pair of hands covered my eyes. "Guess who?" he whispered into my ear...
187K 8.7K 33
It's a mafia BeyNika story, I don't have a description just yet so give it time. This story has g!p _________________ (COMPLETED/will be EDITING SHOR...