Karna-The legendary ruler

By vikramdey

Karna, a demigod, a mortal, a son, a brother and a good king. Karna the man who can go to any extent to... More

Prologue
New place, new life
Tragedies struck again
Revenge or Justice
A new journey
Meeting Lord Parshuram
Past (I)
Past(II) and new resolution
Making of a warrior
Princess Madanmanjari
Curse
Who am I?
Aditya- the savior
Fight for justice (I)
Sneak peek
Fight for justice (II)
Announcement
Attack on Magadh
Karna's strategy
Flashback 1
Flashback 2
Most awaited revenge?
Radheya vs Magadhraj
Judgment delivered (I)
Judgment delivered (II)
Next step
Love or Infatuation?
Daanveer
Banga Vijay
Characters (I)
Characters (II)
Journey to home
The man with the broken heart
Hastinapur's reaction- new conspiracies
Broken trust
New bond
Radheya Vansh
Varnavart
Rukmini Haran
Teaser
New Book
The aftermath of the swyamvar
Division of Hastinapur
Marriage proposal
Pain, conspiracy and loyalty
Marriage and disaster
Maha Rajyaabhishek

Yagnaseni-boon or curse

3.2K 139 72
By vikramdey

NOTE- In this story Draupa is a cursed entity, so if you are a Draupadi fan, then read at your own risk. Comments and suggestions are always welcome but no bashing is allowed. 

I would like to thank @AmritSagar1, @rajnishmuku and all other readers for the lovely suggestions.

Dwarka,

It was almost a month after Karna's departure from Dwarka. During this time Rukmini observed that Krishna was a little unmindful. One day Krishna, Rukmini, Balram, Ravati, Yamini and Subhadra were sitting together. Rukmini then said, 'Nath, for the last few weeks I saw that you are always thinking of something. Is there anything bothering you?'

Krishna, 'Rukmini, I am thinking about Karna.'

Balram, 'Karna, what happened to him.'

Krishna, 'Dau, I closely observed him when he came here and today Vishnuguptji also send me a letter and he was also concerned about him.'

Subhadra, 'What happened Bhrata? Is he okay? Is his kingdom fine?'

Krishna, 'His kingdom is fine and prospering but Karna is definitely not okay. Even Vishnuguptji also noticed a subtle change in his behavior. Right now, it may seem like nothing but in the future, I don't what will it become.'

Yamini, 'Krishna, are you concerned about this violent behavior towards the Brahmins and Kshatriyas?'

Krishna, 'That's my sister. Even understands everything without telling.'

Balram, 'But Kanha, he is against the evil Brahmins and Kshatriyas but he is always respectful to those who are good. In his close circle of trusted men and women, he has both Brahmins and Kshatriyas.'

Yamini, 'Bhrata, I know till now he is against only the wrongdoers but his unnecessary ruthless behavior towards the evil Brahmins especially the Kshatriya royals is a matter of concern. I mean, I know till now the Vaishyas and Shudras felt many difficulties and discrimination but now Karna's actions are giving them the confidence to fight against that. I know it is a good thing as everyone should be aware of their rights in society and in a perfect kingdom, everyone should voice their concern without fear. But Karna's violence towards the Kshatriya kings may create problems in the future. Right now the Vaishyas and Sudras are not saying anything but if this continues, then in future they will also start unnecessary violence against the upper-class people.'

Subhadra, 'Jiji you are overthinking. Nothing will happen.'

Rukmini, 'No Subhi, Yamini is right.A king should be balanced in behavior. I also felt that Karna is very agitated and it is not good.'

Krishna, 'Vishnuguptji is also saying the same thing. Karna is getting very short-tempered. Though he did not misbehave with anyone but everyone can feel that. Vrisha has to unite the entire nation. For that, he has to face hurdles. Only a person who keeps calm even in such violent situation can come out victorious. But the turmoil in Karna is not good...not only for him but also for the future of Aryavart. Our country needs a stable, focused, balanced ruler, not a tyrant.'

Balaram, 'Also his ruthless nature will make many enemies. Sometimes strength is not the only solution, Karna has to be more diplomatic.'

Subhadra, 'But Brothers he has to instill fear in his enemys' mind. If people don't fear their king, then how will he protect himself and rule over them.' 

Yamini,' Subhi a king should create a balance between fear and respect. Too much fear can make people rebellious.'

Subhadra was agitated. No one was understanding her point. She wanted Karna to be the Emperor so that she could be his empress. But Yamini is talking against Karna and his brothers were supporting her. Subhadra always loved her sister but for last few months, she was feeling jealous of her. Even though she was a celibate and not interested in Karna but still Subhadra felt insecure about her friendship with her lover. Karna also preferred to spend time with her instead of Subhadra. He always showed proper respect to Subhadra but it was crystal clear that he was more comfortable with Yamini. She was even jealous of her as her brothers also gave Yamini more importance in kingdom-related works, war strategies etc. It seemed to Subhadra that her position as the princess of Dwarka was shaking.

Krishna understood Subhadra's jealousy. He was sad that his own sister was envious about her eldest sister but he knew that it would be inevitable. Yamini was just perfect in every aspect and a perfect princess for a kingdom. He wondered if Subhadra could come out of her web of Ripus otherwise she would face a huge disaster that would destroy her life. His thought were broken by Yamini's question. 'Kanha, what's next? Will you go to Magadha?'

Krishna, 'I will but I don't know if it will work. Vrushali's death had awakened the inner beast in Karna. Only his true soulmate can extinguish the fire. But I have to try as he is my best friend. Also I need to go to Panchal first.

Magadha,

Both Radha and Adhirath were also sensing the changes in their son. First, they knew that a King should be harsh toward the wrongdoers but what Karna did with Rukmi or to the evil criminals of his kingdom was extreme. They knew it was Karna's guilt towards Vrushali's demise. He could not save his own love from the molesters and that was why he was venting his anger and frustration on them. But it was not good. He not only punished the wrongdoers, especially the rapists but he himself tortured them in the dungeons. That made Adhirath, Radha and Vishnugupt tense.  So Vishnugupt on Radha's insistence sent a letter to Krishna. And thanks to the almighty, Krishna agreed to come to Magadha after his visit from Panchal.

Southern Panchal,

King Dhrupad with the help of sage Yaja started putrakameshti Yagna. He wanted a son who could slay Drona and avenge his humiliation. Yaja agreed but said that he had to accept not only a son but also a daughter. Drona was not interested in daughters as to him daughters were useless. But still, he agreed to get a son. But before the yagna started Krishna came to the Yagna bhumi.

Drupad, 'Pranaam Dwarkadheesh.'

Krishna, 'Pranaam Maharaj, I know you are going to start the Yagna but Mahraj I think it is my duty to make you aware of the consequence of your action. Maharaj, parents' thinking, and their mental conditions are always responsible to shape children's future. If you give your offering in the sacred Agni with vengeance, anger and greed then your sons future will be full of thrones. So it is necessary to always have positive thinking while having your children. Give your offering with a pure heart and sacred thoughts, then you will have a strong and valorous son. Otherwise dark thoughts will always bring bad results.'

Drupad did not want to counter Krishna's words directly but he thought, 'What do you know about the Kshatriya's pride? You grew up among the cowherds and now befriended with a Suta. But I shall not voice my thoughts as everyone is aware of Krishna's strength. I will do whatever I wanted. I want vengeance and for that I need a son whose heart will be full of anger.'

So he started the Yagna. Suddenly the fire rose high and then Drupad offered his sword thinking, 'Agnidev, give me a son who will avenge my humiliation.'

Dhrishtadumna appeared from the Agni and touched his father's feet.  Drupad asked even before blessing him, 'Agnidev, will he kill Drona?'

Agnidev appeared, 'Druapd, I cannot predict the future of your son but he will be valorous and strong and will have the strength to kill Drona.' Drupad then happily blessed his son. 

Yaja, 'Maharaj, it's time for your daughter. Give the offering.'

Drupad thought, 'As I am forced by the dev to get the daughter, at least I shall ask for a princess who can help me in the future.' So he said, 'I want a daughter who will be the most beautiful princess of Aryavart. She can entice any man with her beauty and charm. She shall be the queen of a prosperous kingdom and help me in making a good alliance.' Saying that he gave the offerings.

From the fire, a beautiful maiden appeared. She was the epitome of beauty who could even put Apsaras to shame. Her beauty, blue lotus fragrant could attract any man in the mortal world. 

Drupad was very happy. He knew any King/Prince would offer him a strong alliance in exchange for this beautiful maiden. So he took both Dhristadyumna and Draupadi to his palace. Before he left, he asked Krishna to bless his son and daughter. Krishna smiled and said, 'Always stay on the path of Dharma. Don't forget that kings, kingdoms, and luxuries are all ephemeral while your good deeds to humanity are eternal. So try to help others and be good to everyone.'

Dhrupad did not like it. He said, 'Dwarkadhish just bless them so that they can fulfill their duty for which they took birth.'

Krishna, 'Maharaj, I blessed them with what they needed to be happy in their life. If I bless them with what you want, then it will become a curse for them.'

Dhrupad was irritated but kept his silence and took his children to his palace. Krishna thought, 'Maharaj, your ambition is going to ruin their lives, I know but to you, they are just puppets to achieve your dream. I am feeling sorry for you Yagnaseni, in your previous life your father failed to give you a proper upbringing and even in this life, I am afraid that the same thing will happen to you.' 

Magadha

Krishna came to Magadha. Karna was very happy to see his friend, though he never expressed his happiness in front of his Madhav. Radha, Adhirath, and Vishnugupt served Krishna. Then at night, both the friends came to sit in the garden.

Karna, 'Madhav, I knew why you came here? Vishnuguptji called you here...right?'

Krishna, 'Radheya, you know everyone was tensed about you. They all realized that you breaking inside and to vent your anger and frustration you are targetting those prisoners.'

Karna, 'Then what do you expect me to do? Let those rapists live....no Madhav. They dared to touch women without their consent. I need to install fear in everyone's mind about the consequences. Also, I need my vengeance.'

Krishna, 'Karna today you are torturing the criminals but in the future, your bloodlust will blur the line between right and wrong. Yes, I know everyone should learn the lesson but Karna you are getting unstable. Please, Karna, one should think carefully before taking revenge as the lust for vengeance can make you the same person you hate so much....a tyrrant. Karna, you are Magadhraj Aditya but don't let Radheya from your mind go away. You have to be both together and balance both of your personalities. Whatever happened with Vrushali was wrong but you cannot be like them in your anger. Vrushali will never like it.'

Karna just sat there silently. he also knew that his anger was increasing day by day. He even raised his voice to Radhama one day in his anger who tried to stop him from killing a Brahmin brutally. Yes, it was true that the Brahmin boy whipped a Suta boy unnecessarily but his punishment was also way too brutal. But what would he do? He was burning inside. Shon's body, Vrushali's face everything was continuously haunting him. His guilt was killing him every day. 

Krishna understood his condition. Karna needed mental support. All his friends were supporting him at work but he needed someone with whom he could open up without hesitation, who would not judge him but heal his pain. Krishna just hugged his best friend. He felt that tears were trickling from Karna's eyes. Krishna said, 'Radheys it is necessary to let go of your burdens sometimes and act like a normal human. There is no shame in it. You have so many well-wishers. Don't push them away in your anger.'After a week, Krishna left Magadha. Karna's behavior improved but not completely changed. But still, he was trying. 

Panchal, three months later

While in Panchal Dhrupad started training his son and daughter in the art of war and household works respectively. Dhrupad knew that his son Dhrishtadyumna was strong but Panchal did not have enough army to fight HP. So now he needed a good alliance but after the division, their economic condition was also not good. That sly fox Drona asked Northern Panchal which had most of the fertile lands and main business center. So Dhrupad needed someone who could defeat Drona and Aswathama. First, he wanted his daughter to marry Arjun, Drona's disciple. Her daughter with her charm could easily separate that Guru-Shishya bonding but now Arju was dead. Also there was a bigger player in the political scenario of Aryavart, who already crippled HP. Magadhraj Aditya. Drupad knew that he was a Suta but he don't care about his lineage. All that mattered was his strength. So he wanted to send a marriage proposal to Magadha. But Niyati had some other things in mind. Draupadi since her birth was taken care by the maids and teachers. Drupad even did not allow his wife Prishati or his sons Satyajit, Uttamaujas, Yudhamanyu and daughter Shikhandini to go closer to his divine children. After all they were just common humans and might harm his divine weapons. Drupad had no love for his children. They were nothing but tools for him and this attitude of him had created a rift in his family. First, he just ignored his other sons and daughter but now he was openly favoring Dhrishtadyumna and Draupadi. He even declared Dhrishtadyumna as the crown prince removing Satyajit. This angered Shikahndini and others. Dhrishtadyumna had no experience, no knowledge but he was not a bad person. He tried to pacify his siblings but Drupad forbade him from meeting them and he even exiled his other sons and daughter from Panchal. All these had created a mess in Drupad's family and kingdom. As Dhrishtadyumna was sad about all this, Draupadi was enjoying the luxuries and attention. From her teachers, she learned about varnashrama and believed in it strongly. So when she heard that her father was sending her marriage proposal to a Suta king, she protested and demanded a Swyamvar. Drupad was reluctant at first but then gave in as he also wanted someone who would be the strongest warrior in Aryavart. So he asked his Kulguru Garga Muni to develop the toughest competition and listening to his suggestion he invited Krishna to arrange the competition. Drupad wanted Karna or someone stronger like him to win the Swyamvar but unknown to him Draupadi was completely against marrying a low-born. Unknown to Druapd, she decided to stop the Magadhraj from winning the competition.

Three days before Swyamvar,

Entire Panchal was decorated like a new bride. It was the Swyamvar of the most beautiful maiden of Aryavart, so everyone was eager to participate in the event. All the kings and princes of Aryavart were invited. Drupad also invited all Dwarka siblings. Krishna, Balram and Subhadra came, Balram asked Yamini to accompany them but she declined. Yamini was a clever girl who knew about Drupad disrespect to everyone apart from Brahmins and Kshatriyas. Maybe he would not insult her directly but he also would not like her presence at the royal event. That was why she decided to stay at Dwarka. 

Draupadi readily befriended Subhadra as she was the one equal to her status. Suabhadra was a princess and sister of the Avatar of Vishnu herself, so she could be her friend. During their talks, Draupadi told her about her concern.

Draupadi, 'Subhadra, you are a Kshatriya and a princess herself, so you will understand my predicament. I am Yagnaseni, the divine maiden, so my husband shall be the one who matches my standard. But my father wants me to marry Magadhraj Aditya. I know that a low-class Suta can never be my husband. But then why is everyone praising him as if he is some great man. A suta can never match with a royal maiden like me but even your brothers are saying that he has the ability to win me in the competition.'

Subhadra became tensed.

Draupadi continues, 'Subhadra, I know your family is very close to him. Is he really that special or it is just some stunts he played to impress everyone?'

Subhadra was hell angry now. She never wanted Karna to marry any other girl or at least she would be his first wife. She wanted to be the empress and if her brothers were right, then soon Karna would be the emperor. But if Karna married to Draupadi, then she would be the queen of Magadha and then the Empress. So she said, 'Sakhi, Magadhraj is not worthy of you. He just has a good army and sage Viswamitra as his Kulguru, that is why he won those kingdoms. Actually, he is an uncouth, short-tempered, tyrant. His own kingdom is angry with him and soon he will be usurped from his throne. Also, he is a womanizer who has no sympathy for others. So you shall not marry him.'

Draupadi, 'But what if he won the competition?'

Subhadra, 'Then stop him before he participates. Insult him in the name of his caste and birth, then he will back off from the competition by himself.'

Subhadra knew how proud was Karna of his family and caste, so he would definitely not take part in the competition. It would not only stop Karna's marriage with Draupadi but also made him mad on Panchal. And if Karna could win over Panchal, then not only he become more powerful but also would teach this arrogant princess a lesson. This Draupadi had too much pride in her beauty, soon Subhadra would break her arrogance by becoming the most powerful queen of Aryavart.

Day of Swyamvar,

The arena for the competition was decorated and all the kings and princes were present. Karna was reluctant to attend the Swyamvar but his ministers and Guru Viswamitra forced him to participate as it would not only be beneficial for Magadha to have an alliance but also Karna's win could increase Magadha's prestige. 

Everyone took their respective seats, then Dhrishtadymna came and explain the rules.

Dhrishtadyumna, 'As you know, my sister Agnisuta Draupadi is the most beautiful woman. So to have her hands, you should be the most capable warrior of Aryavart. So the competition is the going to be the toughest one. This is "KINDURA", the bow given by Dwarkadhish Shri Krishna. Only the warrior who has full confidence in himself can lift it and string this bow. Now the next part is, you have to shoo the arrow on the eye of the fist that is rotating in the sky just by seeing the reflection in the water.'

During the event, many Brahmins also came to have alms and among them, the Pandavas were also present. Arjun was highly excited to see the archery competition but was unable to do anything to take part as the competition was for Kshatriyas. But when Draupadi entered the arena it lit up the entire place. Most of the males present in the arena were mesmerized seeing her beauty except a few like Duryodhana, Krisha or Balram. Duryodhana came to Panchal just as a guest as he was not interested to remarry while Karna's instincts were telling him something was off. After seeing the beautiful maiden Karna was also mesmerized but his heart kept telling him that there was something that was not what it seemed. While all the Pandavas were also attracted to Draupadi. They were not lusty but all of the brothers were admiring the beauty.

The competition started and all the kings and princes tried but failed, then Karna came to the arena. He bowed in front of the bow and picked it up easily. He strung it and went towards the target but then Draupadi screamed, 'STOP, I don't want to marry a Sutputra.'

The entire arena was silenced as everyone was aware of the strength of Magadha. Blamram stood up angrily and even Krishna shook his head sadly.

Balram, 'King Drupad, how dare your daughter to insult a king whom you yourself had invited?'

Drupad was also scared. he knew the consequence of Magadha's wrath so he pleaded, 'Magadhraj, please don't get angry with my daughter. She is young, she has no idea what she is talking about. Please complete the task.'

Draupadi, 'But father...'

Drupad, 'Shut up you fool. you are my daughter and will do what I say.'

Karna did not say anything. He looked at the water and release the arrow, the arrow struck the eye of the fish. Drupad was happy that he got Magadha as his ally and ordered Draupadi to garland him but Karna said, 'Maharaj, I finished this task so that no one can question my Guru's training. But I don't want to marry a woman who is not ready to be my wife. For Kshatriyas, maybe a woman's consent is not important but my parents taught me to always respect a woman's decision. So I am not going to marry you. Now I will take your leave and Magadha will never forget your hospitality.' saying that he left.

Drupad sat on his throne with a thud and Shakuni started laughing, 'Now what will you do Maharaj? Who will marry your daughter who was rejected on her Swyamvar? Also you have arranged such a dangerous competition to insult all others. Now no Kshatriya king will marry your daughter.'

All the kings agreed. All their egos were hurt due to their defeat in the competition and now they had the chance to humiliate Drupad. Seeing this sage Garga asked Druapas to open the competition to the Brahmins and Arjun came forward and won the competition.

Draupadi was very sad as she wanted to marry a warrior Kshatriya but now she had to marry a poor Brahmin. But she had o choice as she realized that her childish outburst had created a huge problem. a woman rejected during Swyamvar had no dignity in the society, she would be shunned from all auspicious activity and everyone would consider her a curse. At least she could get a respectable position in society after marrying a Brahmin. So she reluctantly agreed. While Drupad was hell angry, he did not even arrange a marriage ceremony for his daughter as his dream of getting a strong alliance was completely shattered. he just threw Draupadi and her husband out of his palace and left the place. While Draupadi also went with Arjun to his hut in the forest.

 After the fiasco, the Dwarka siblings also took their leave. Balram was bristling in anger due to his friend's insult, Krishna was worried while Subhadra was happy. She successfully broke Karna's marriage with that arrogant princess. When Karna won even after the insult, she was scared but relieved when Karna disagreed to marry. Now she had to act fast to get married to Karna and ask him to start Digvijaya.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 571 23
what would be the events of mahabharata war if lord sri krishna made friendship with karna? What would happened if karna listened to krishna's advice...
33.6K 1.7K 30
it's a fictional story of Mahabharata characters Events in the story has nothing to do with real Mahabharata. when one feels that everything has cam...
134K 7.6K 76
Everyone has a Choice. Destiny blessed The Epic of Mahabharata with one such Choice. A person who was reincarnated in the past. Time travelled? No. ...
4.3K 352 10
In a twist of fate, the destinies of Karna, Arjuna, and Suyodhan intertwine on the 17th day after the death of Karna, as their memories are transport...