The Heart's Content

By Emeraldlily16

The classic stories of Hans Christian Andersen meet the Southern Charm of Louisiana when a mermaid who's curi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125

Chapter 39

35 1 0
By Emeraldlily16

"Alright so you were born and raised in the mafia, you're an ex druggie, and you're in debt to two people who will kill you." Vaggie listed once the cost was clear. "Is there anything else unsettling that I should know?"

"Well I moonlight as sex worker from time to time."

Vaggie looked at him repulsed.

"Hey don't judge me! I'm just trying to make a living like everybody else in the world."

"You have sex with other people for money yet you want to have a relationship with me?"

"Hey just say the word babe and I'll quit in a heartbeat." He said. "And you wouldn't think it but I actually want commitment."

"Is that a fact?" Vaggie said with a skeptical grin.

"Yep. Of course I do have a few more things to cross off my bucket list before I settle down."

"Such as?"

"Well I want to publish my novel."

"You're a writer? What do you write about?"

"Uh...Well..."

He blushed and hesitated before answering. He had a feeling she wouldn't exactly understand his "Vision."

"It's an erotic novel."

"Why am I not surprised?"

"It's not what you think okay. It's not dirty smut or anything, it's a very emotional story about the beauty and madness sex can cause."

"Alright I'll bite, what's it about?"

"It's about a young man who was sexually abused by his neighbor in childhood and his parents refused to do anything about it. When his neighbor is done with him once he hits puberty and unfortunately he never learned that what happened to him was bad. So he doesn't know why he feels this deep pain and shame in his heart that was left by the abuse. He spends his teenhood and adulthood having sex with different people, trying to ease that pain but it doesn't work. Then one night he's brutally beaten by one of his ex partners and he's found and nursed back to health by a prostitute. They become friends and bond over how they've relied on sex and the pain they've suffered. She later helps him come to terms with his sexual abuse and he helps her gain the courage to leave her pimp."

"Huh..." Vaggie thought for a moment. "Perversion aside, that's actually a pretty good story."

"You really think so?"

"Yeah. Do the lead characters ever have sex?"

"Nope. They don't want to lose the one person who they sincerely care for and who sincerely cares for them in return. They grow love each other too much to let sex complicate things and possibly ruin the relationship."

"Is it a romantic or platonic?"

"I decided to leave that part ambiguous. Ironic considering the content, but through out my life I've realized that sex isn't required for real love. It's just an extra spice that you could add to your already tasty sauce, you get the metaphor?"

"Yeah I do. Weird."

"What?"

"I never thought a sex worker and an erotic novelist could be so deep minded."

"A lot of things in life aren't always as they appear. After today, if you want to see me again, you could learn that there's a lot more to me."

"Maybe." She said, still skeptical.

"And I could learn more about you than what I've seen."

"What makes you think there's more to me? I'm just a pretty little performer." She spoke in high, feminine voice that made her sound air-headed.

"Oh no, no, no." Angel chuckled while shaking his head. "No. You're smart. I could tell that right off. Anyone would be stupid to underestimate you."

Vaggie's skepticism started to fall and in it's place, intrigue was rising up. Though she was still on her guard.

"Do you really believe that? I mean you and I barely know each other, and from what you've seen I'm just a dancer."

"True but I got a feeling that a brilliant brain is operating those legs, no offense if that came off as pervy."

"No offense taken." She smiled quietly. "Thank you. But I'm not that smart. If I was then I wouldn't be working for Valentino."

"Hey even smart people can make dumb choices. My best friend, smartest guy I know but he has a made a lot of dumb choices. Particularly ones involving his social life."

Vaggie accidentally let a giggle slip from her lips and she quickly clapped a hand over her mouth. But her actions came too late.

"Uh-oh, did I make you laugh?" Angel asked.

"No." She lied.

"I do believe I did." He teased.

"No you didn't."

"Yes I did, you liar!"

And so, Angel and Vaggie talked long into the evening. Growing to enjoy each other's company very, very much. After having dinner at a surprisingly delicious fish taco stand, Angel walked her back to her tent.

"I don't suppose I could interest you in another night out?" He asked her.

"The deal was just one night." She reminded him. "You've paid your debt now, so you can no longer bother me."

"Oh alright." He sighed. "I'm a man of my word. But if you ever change your mind-"

He handed her a slip of paper with his phone number on it.

"Give me a call. Come on nugsy."

Angel then walked off with Fat Nuggets following close behind. Vaggie looked down at the phone number in her hand and chuckled to herself in a melancholy manner.

"You don't want to get involved with me buddy." She thought. "And a part of me thinks you're more trouble than you're worth."

She stepped into her tent, only to come face to face with an annoyed Valentino.

"Where were you my little pixie?" He asked.

"I was out." She answered. "Taking a walk. I didn't think you'd mind since we didn't have a show tonight."

He looked out the entrance to her tent and saw Angel.

"Our with the pig boy, I see."

"It was nothing." Vaggie said. "I did him a favor and he wouldn't leave me alone until I let him repay me by buying me dinner. He's done it now and I'll never have anything to do with him again if I can help it."

As Valentino watched Angel leave, his memory was triggered and he recalled seeing him hang around Alastor on several occasions. It appeared that the two of them were close. That's when an idea came to him. A very devious and despicable idea.

"I don't think you should cut him out of your life just yet."

"What do you mean?" Vaggie asked.

"I have new job for you Vaggie. That skinny, pig-loving, dunce happens to be very close with Rosie's new talent. Probably close enough to know a lot of personal information. Now as you know that singer turned me down but everyone has their price. I merely just need to know his."

"And how exactly do I help with that?"

"Everyone something that they want but can't obtain. My job is to grant them that want. But I can't do that unless I know what that want is. That is where you come in. I want you to use that albino fool's attraction to you, to learn more information about his friend the singer. Find out from him, the wishes and dreams of Rosie's performer.

"Absolutely not." Vaggie refused. "Not only is that undignified but it's just cruel. And furthermore I won't help another innocent become ensnared by you."

"And what if I gave you a little reward in exchange for your cooperation?"

"No thanks. I don't need another pair of fake wings."

"Oh no, no I was thinking of something far more precious. Say your soul?"

Vaggie's body turned stiff and she looked at Valentino in shocked, disbelief.

"That's right, if you help me get that singer in my employment, I'll tear up our contract and give you back your soul."

Vaggie thought for a moment. On one hand she didn't like manipulating other people and playing with their emotions. Even more so, she did not want to help Valentino trick someone into becoming another one of his slaves. She couldn't imagine any action more horrible and vile. But on the other hand, this was her only chance to finally be free of Valentino. To have her own life back. To not have to spend every waking moment doing his bidding.

"Do I have to manipulate him. I was thinking that-"

"Thinking? Ha-ha!" He laughed. "Not your strong suit, is it? No. It's mine. There is no other way to get that performer except through those who are closest to him. But if your dignity and conscience mean more to you then your freedom, I'm sure can pay some hooker to do the job. It'll cost me less anyway."

"Hold on. I'll do it but on one condition, if I do this you don't just release my soul. You release Husk and Mr. Pentious's souls too."

"Never! If I let you all go then I'll have no business!"

"But you'll have no business if you don't get anything new. Customers are getting bored with the same acts."

"How about this? I'll release Husk. Mr. Pentious doesn't even want to leave. So why let him go?"

"Fine. But you promise that if I do this you'll finally let me and Husk go?"

"I give you my word that if you assist me in gaining Rosie's new singer as my employee, I'll release your soul and Husk's."

"Deal."

"Excellent. Now get some sleep. We'll discuss our plan tomorrow."

He then left her tent. He would keep his word, right? And if she did this, she would get exactly what she asked for. He didn't use any word play, she knew what she was doing. At least she hoped that she did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 249 20
This is Charlastor story. Everyone is a human but in castel demons just for you to know. If you aren't Charlastor fan then find another fanfiction. ...
81K 1.4K 23
(COMPLETED) Fluffy Charlastor story || Alastor finally gets Charlie's happy hotel up and running, and she's having the time of her life! However, C...
2.1K 109 76
Charlie Morningstar only wrote to novelist Rosie Parish, to ask for advice on writing her own book. But instead she was invited to spend a few days a...
3.2K 55 15
This is going to be a Charlastor ship (not canon). It's my first time writing a fanfic (besides from my own original book), so I'm sorry if it's not...