AGAINST THE TIDE Book #2

By jmhallewell

Marcelle and Vittoria are on a path that challenges their union and choice to be in love. Will they cave into... More

Author's Note
Cast
Prologue
Chapter One: For Love
Chapter Two: Locked Doors
Chapter Three: Incompetence
Chapter Four: Succumbing
Chapter Five: An Admission
Chapter Six: It's A Sin
Chapter Seven: Intention
Chapter Eight: Ex Wife
Chapter Nine: Aged Fine Wine
Chapter Eleven: Understanding
Chapter Twelve: An Older Friend
Chapter Thirteen: The Sister
Chapter Fourteen: The Siblings
Chapter Fifteen: The Bid
Chapter Sixteen: Si Signor
Chapter Seventeen: She Loves Me
Chapter Eighteen: He Loves Me Too!
Chapter Nineteen: Labelled
Chapter Twenty: Reactions
Chapter Twenty One: Silence
Chapter Twenty Two: Solved
Chapter Twenty Three: Precedence
Chapter Twenty Four: Untold Secrets Part 2
Chapter Twenty Five: In Marseilles Part 1
Chapter Twenty Six: In Marseilles Part 2
Chapter Twenty Seven: Rehab
Chapter Twenty Eight: The Parents
Chapter Twenty Nine: Welcome Home
Chapter Thirty: Home Is Best
Chapter Thirty One: The Hit
Chapter Thirty Two: Messages For You
Chapter Thirty Three: Transition
Chapter Thirty Four: Her Jealousy Part 1
Chapter Thirty Five: She's Back
Chapter Thirty Six: Little Diavolo
Chapter Thirty Seven: It's Personal
Chapter Thirty Eight: Ciao Chica
Chapter Thirty Nine: Her sisters
Chapter Forty: Her Jealousy Part 2
Chapter Forty One: A Good Day?
Chapter Forty Two: Unexpected
Chapter Forty Three: Red Part 1
Chapter Forty Four: Red Part 2
Chapter Forty Five: Love Me Forever
Chapter Forty Six: A Good Streak
Chapter Forty Seven: A Dream
Chapter Forty Eight: Wake Up Dear
Chapter Forty Nine: The Parking Lot Beef
Chapter Fifty: Too Many Hands
Chapter Fifty One: The Mothers
Chapter Fifty Two: Bickering Pair
Chapter Fifty Three: Love Me Forever Part 1
Chapter Fifty Four: Love Me Forever Part 2
Chapter Sixty: Love Me Forever Part 3
Epilogue

Chapter Ten: Untold Secrets Part 1

470 73 135
By jmhallewell

Vittoria's POV
I have been sitting in comfortable silence with Signor Tancredi. I served him tea and we sat quietly outside on the rooftop garden. Marcelle has the only house in this building with a rooftop garden and a pool. It feels like a mansion in the sky. But often empty.

"All this to yourself?" He asked me to end the silence. "You struck good with Balotelli and I don't just mean his deep pockets. He's a good man."

"Si he is." I agreed.

"What is wrong? You have everything a woman could want. What is missing?"

I wiped the corner of my eyes. The wind keeps blowing my hair towards my face. I reached for it to tie it into a knot. "Money is not everything. I have been happier in my little house in Naples. He's barely here and sometimes I do understand. Sometimes it upsets me. Reina was here."

"I saw her looking like a cat that has had cream. Devil that one. Very evil." He sighed. "What did she want?"

"Ay Signor! I cannot involve you in small domestic matters."

"I don't mind!" He laughed and took my hand. "You can tell me anything."

"Well... she wants him back."

Signor Tancredi burst out laughing. All of a sudden this hopeless situation became funny and we laughed together. He laughed until he dried the corners of his eyes. "Is she insane? How will he take her back after she has dragged him through the mud? He will have to be an idiot to take her back."

"She treated him badly. The custody was ugly enough and she thinks he will forget. Then another woman she answered his phone. I dint know who she us but her voice... I don't know. Now that I think it, she sounds familiar. Then at the fashion show. Dio!" I covered my face. "They would not stop Signor! They are like house flies, stalking him even when he chases them they follow."

"It's expected. He's a great catch and he picked you. Take confidence in that. I can speak for him. He's an honorable man. Otherwise I wouldn't have allowed Nicko to take you out of my home."

"What do you mean?" He moved closer to me. It looks like he wants to tell me something. "Signor Tancredi, what do you mean?"

"He was picking a bride for his son. He asked me if I have any suggestions and I mentioned you."

Now it makes sense. It all makes sense. How I'm the one, the one will least experience and he chose me to go work in his house. It explains why Signora was surprised to see me and why she was against it. It explains why he challenged Signora when she dismissed me. He told me to stay. "You out me here."

He held one side of my face. "You deserve the best and he is by far the best. Things may not seem that way now but when he settles into his role you'll see."

I gently removed his hand from my cheek. "Dio! Why? Why you help me Signor? Why are you here?" I stood up suddenly. "He's not here. Why are you here?"

He stood up too. "I'm here to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Vittoria, my dear," he pushed some of my hair away for m my face when the knot collapsed. "I uh... I... I care about you very much. Ever since you came into my home, I have felt very protective over you and I..." he laughed softly. "... I just want you know you have a... If you ever need anything, I'm always a phone call away. Just ask and I'll do anything for you."

"Grazi. I did not expect... thank you." He opened his arms to hold me.

I feel very confused. What does this mean?

"I believe I have overstayed my visit. If you'll please allow me to be on my way?"

"You can never overstay."

He held my face in both hands. "You're the most beautiful creature to walk this earth. Don't forget that. All these other women mean nothing to him."

I walked him to the door. We said goodbye and he left.

Signor Tancredi's POV
"Let me guess... you couldn't tell her?" She puffed out a mouthful of smoke. A wicked smile grew on her face.

Vittoria is nothing like Vienna. Perhaps she got her beauty but that is about it. I took a seat in her booth. She's all alone. "Are you looking for a billionaire to sink your nails in?"

She scoffed. "Oh please! I have more than enough-"

"Your husband left everything to your children. They have cut you off since you descended down this destructive path." I snatched the cigarettes from her hand. "Is this why you are befriending Vittoria? Do you want money? Did you think I wouldn't find out?"

She laughed harshly. "No no no. Dint play the role of daddy."

"But I am her father!"

"Sperm donor."

"And what does that make you?" I questioned her.

"Surrogate. I only brought her into this world. I take zero credit for who she is. For what it's worth, it is cute that you think you can play daddy."

"I never got a chance."

"It's not like I didn't want to tell you. You dumped me. Remember? Do you remember? In the back seat of a yellow beetle in Saint-Tropez?"

How can I forget? Tessa and I were in the middle of a divorce. The damn woman was taking half of my net worth. She was putting me through hell. This affair was a mistake, one that I have had to live with. I told Tessa about it and hoped she would leave but it somehow motivated her to stay. I'm not sure why.

"You have had twenty five years to tell me!"

"I tried!"

"Really? How exactly?"

"I came to Naples. I came to Naples with her. She was so little. I came to your home. Ask your bloody wife."

"Tessa knows about..."

"Yes she does. She told me that if I leave the baby there, she will drown her or suffocate her. She told me to leave and never to say anything. I wasn't going to take the risk. I took her to a convent and left her with Emilia."

And it was Emilia who told me that Vittoria is my daughter. She told me shortly after the Mafia picked her up for robbing Tessa. That is why I couldn't execute her. I have taken care of her since. I haven't had the strength to tell her. I was going to do that today but I couldn't go through with it. Something tells me she doesn't need me in her life. It's too late anyway. I'm twenty five years too late. I may not be able to be her father but I can be her friend.

"And then you moved on like it was nothing."

"I don't owe you an explanation." She gulped down a glass of alcohol. "I am going to be part of her life. You may or may not join me. It's up to you. Will there be perks because she's dating a billionaire? Probably. But I'm not after the money. I just want to make up for twenty five years of absence. Be a good spot and foot the bill. What is it you say Franco? Ciao?" She giggled as she walked away.

I dint want that woman around my daughter. She's toxic and she will change Vittoria and not for the better.

Marcelle's POV
Vittoria's insecurities are a big concern to me. I feel like we will constantly go round in circles where other women are concerned.

Never in my life have I ever been summoned by a woman I'm in a relationship with and showed up like I do for Vee. This is a big problem for me. I feel that even when I tell her that I love her, it won't be enough. She will still not trust me. Is it the age difference? No. She just doesn't believe I am capable of being a faithful mate.

It breaks my heart every time she questions me. I'm trying my best. It's not like I don't get urges she can't satisfy, I do. I play by her rules. I keep my hands as well behaved as I can manage. I fight off every dirty thought even when I tell myself it's a one night stand. I do that for her.

"Good evening Signor." The heads outside the penthouse greeted me.

"Evening. Is she home?"

"Si."

I opened the door. I kicked off my shoes. I still don't have my phone. I was with Kathleen Tancredi early this morning. I ran into her when I was dropping off the kids at school. It's something I try to do when I'm at home. She was following me and when I tried to lose her, she crossed me. My bodyguards wanted to shoot her until I recognized her. She used to be obsessed with me when she was a teenager. It almost got me in trouble with Reina. She kissed me.

When I got out of my car to speak to her, she hugged me and I'm thinking that is when I lost the phone. Kathleen is very aggressive about what she wants. She won't let up.

"Vee." She looked up from the floor where she's stretching. She sat up immediately. " I'm here. Let's talk."

"I wasn't sure you would come." She stood up.

"You were upset. We can't have that, now can we?" I asked.

I'm upset too about the lack of trust between us but I'll try my very best not to go off on her. She's playing with her fingers. Vee is a nail bitter. When she's nervous she bites her nails or plays with her fingers. "Who is she?"

"I imagine you know her. Kathleen Tancredi."

"Oh... her... Why would she... never mind. I know why. She is a bad one. But how did she get your phone?"

"I ran into her this morning. She hugged me. It was sudden, I didn't expect it. That is when I lost my phone. I think so. I'm not cheating on you. I never will. Vittoria I feel like you not trusting me isn't working."

"What does that mean?"

",It means that if you cannot trust me, then we can't have a relationship. You have a lot to think about. Call me when you decide what you want next."

I walked away from her.

We can't keep going round in circles. It is either we progress or it ends.

I'll make peace with either.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

531K 13.4K 32
Trying to move on from the past Dorothy does everything possible to keep it behind her; especially him. But what happens when he tries to step back i...
1.8K 9 35
Laura has no other choice than to escape from her abusive household and leave the country. What happens when she encounters the dangerous and irresis...
71.5K 3.6K 33
I just wanna be an escape. Baby can we escape ----------------------------- This is the story of two people who are seeking an escape. Two different...
3.3K 278 39
Book I of the Mafia Escapades series (Completed) Nova Davis was only months away from her graduation just before she received the devastating news a...