Tipping the Scales

Galing kay samhopkinson

Lukas has lived in the small, isolated village of Rosehallow for as long as he can remember. Now, at the age... Higit pa

Brief Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39

11

9 5 12
Galing kay samhopkinson

The next few months flashed by quicker than the first. It was a breeze for Lukas, no day harder than the first or the bloodworm incident. Aside from the normal routine, they underwent more out-of-camp exercises, some as long as a week. After each, the number of recruits would decline. Before long, there were fewer than twenty boys remaining, including the seven nobles.

One day, without warning, the remaining recruits were gathered in the hall, now only occupying the front three rows of benches.

"Congratulations on making it this far," Beavis was up on stage, enjoying the limelight once more, "we have never had such a larger number make it this far before, particularly this many from the masses. However, we will continue as planned for the last month of training, which will be solely to prepare you for what comes next."

The nobles began to chat amongst themselves excitedly. "Preparing for what you might ask?" Beavis looked directly at Lukas expectantly, knowing full well the boy didn't know. "Levi, would you be so kind as to tell those who don't know?"

"The Ascension Exam," Levi replied indifferently, almost inaudible amongst the enthusiastic murmurs of those surrounding him.

"That's right, we will be preparing you for the Ascension Exam," Beavis spread his arms out like a performer having just finished his act. "These exams will take place in the Sunshine Arena in Daybreak, which will be available to the public and more importantly, the squad captains," he raised his eyebrows mischievously, quietly pleased with his now silent audience. "You will be pit against one another to display your skills in the hope that you will be selected by one of the captains. It is our job," he gestured to the other instructors standing in a line behind him, "to ready you for this event."

"Now some of you," he looked pointedly at the nobles, "may have been present at Ascension Exams in the past, but the proceedings will unfold differently due to the larger numbers this year." The chatter amongst the nobles finally died down, replaced by a keen silence. "There will be a mystery elimination round before the main event, a knock-out style tournament," this time Beavis shouted ecstatically, like this was his own brilliant idea. "Keep in mind that, even if you are eliminated in the mystery round before the standard tournament begins, impress the right people and you may well secure your place amongst the elites. With that said, I wish you the very best of luck. I have great expectations for many of you," though his smile only seemed to reach as far as the nobles sitting in front of him.

"Did you hear that?" Lukas was chatting energetically as they exited the hall, "we made it to the final group."

"I was listening," Ellis replied.

"I mean, it wasn't too hard," Lukas continued, unfazed by Ellis' lack of enthusiasm, "at one point I feared I might die of boredom, but then I met you, and became so entertained by your wit and humour. You could say I have you to thank for making it to the end." Ellis grunted.

The pair passed by Leo, and Lukas could've sworn he saw a fiery excitement in his eyes. The lone noble had barely interacted with them since the bloodworm incident, only acknowledging each other when circumstance deemed it impossible to avoid. Upon stumbling into each other, which happened more frequently as the number of recruits diminished, their exchanges would only go as far as glaring eyes and arched eyebrows. Lukas was wishing for an excuse to challenge him, an excuse he bet would come about in the Ascension Exams, and in front of a huge audience.

Fitness training was abolished as preparation for the exams began. Combat drills were now performed all day long and to a much higher degree of intensity. The bouts required a much greater deal of focus on Lukas' part, as only the capable remained. It was common knowledge that Lukas and Ellis were the strongest fighters amongst the commoners, so many took it upon themselves to defeat them.

The recruits were also offered a 'free training' slot in which they could prepare in any way they please. Lukas spent most of this time fighting with Ellis, whom he was now managing to compete on a more level playing field. The rivals had undeniably come on leaps and bounds after months of fighting, an improvement which Lukas never expected out of the army's basic training and something he was quietly grateful to Ellis for. Ellis didn't exhibit such gratitude, but even his hardened outer shell was showing cracks of appreciation and a desire to come out on top. It was during a period of free training, when the calm breeze of spring gently graced the clammy, hot-headed recruits with its cooling breath, that Lukas was challenged to a fight.

Aiden Matthews, the son of a rich merchant, was about as noble as someone of common birth could hope to be. Having been trained by a seasoned instructor since he had learnt to walk, all expenses paid by the notorious Mr Matthews, the boy was one of the few commoners who aspired for a spot in an elite squad and actually stood a chance of succeeding. He could not fathom, therefore, that there would be those who outperformed him. He had quietly suffered in the shadows of Lukas and Ellis, whilst not having once gone head-to-head with either. Aiden could not quite figure out the excitement surrounding them, particularly the scrawnier of the two. It was because of this mounting hatred combined with his incomprehensible success that Aiden Matthews challenged the slimmer boy to a duel.

Lukas, ever willing to test himself, readily accepted.

The boys cheered and clapped, pushing each other to form a ring around the two contenders, large enough to provide room to swing but close enough to be at risk of catching a stray sword. Within seconds of the challenge being offered and accepted, the two boys faced off.

"I don't believe we have crossed swords before," Lukas raised his wooden sword at the challenger, "what is your name?"

"Aiden Matthews, you may have heard of my dad, he owns Matthew's South Empire Trading Company," Aiden glanced round expecting to be met with looks of recognition and wonder, forgetting he had already informed every commoner here about his family.

"Never heard of it - sounds important but a bit of a mouthful if you ask me," Lukas' laid back attitude seemed to anger the great merchant's son.

"He literally owns half of the royal port in Ferlandia" Aiden clenched his sword tightly, "you've never seen the blue galley?"

"What's a galley?" Lukas had barely uttered the words before Aiden swung. He could appreciate the swiftness of Aiden's approach as well as the skilful thrust of his blade, the attack was easy to register and avoid.

"You're messing with me, farm boy," Aiden steadied himself, wiping his hair from his face. His knuckles were turning a bright shade of white, as if he were trying to strangle the piece of wood in his hand.

"Farm boy?" Lukas looked into his opponent's eyes, trying to read his next attack. "I did not mean to offend; is a galley some sort of instrument."

Aiden lashed out again. "It's a sailing ship you imbecile."

"You mean one of those wooden things that float on water and are pulled by clouds?" Lukas could swear he heard the boy's teeth grinding against each other.

"They're called sails!" Aiden cried out as he dove at Lukas, swinging with all his might - though his attack bore fruitless once more.

"My father works under Gerard Davenstroke himself." Aiden was breathing heavily now, the sword starting to splinter in his grip.

"Gerard who?" Lukas recognised that name, he had heard it before.

"Don't tell me you haven't even heard of the Davenstroke's," Aiden laughed, sensing he had gained some control of the situation. "They control the imports and exports of the entire empire, nothing comes or go's without the Davenstroke's permission." He glanced over at Erik, who stood amongst the nobles outside of the ring. They were trying to act uninterested by the altercation, but Erik's attention was fully captured now.

"Blonde hair? Great big moustache?" Lukas stepped towards Aiden, causing him to instinctively fling his sword up and stumble backwards.

"I mean I – I don't know what he actually looks like."

"Followed by a group of knights?" Lukas stepped forward again, no longer displaying his usual relaxed demeanour.

"I guess – I mean I would expect him to be."

"Likes the colour blue?"

Aiden laughed at this, broken out his trance as he was reminded who he was speaking to. "Obviously, they're the colour of the Davenstroke noble family."

Lukas' head was filled with images of Jasper and Rosehallow, and the kind innkeeper in Ormwell. Images that were replaced by a torrent of fire and smoke. He felt despair, then rage at his helplessness in the situation. He had done nothing but watch as his childhood friend was taken from this world by fire. Lukas felt himself being consumed by anger, as his muscles contracted and his breathing intensified.

Aiden mistook this anger for fear. "You see, you remember. You mess with me, you mess with my father and the Davenstroke's. Status is the most powerful thing in this world"

Lukas released his fury in one clinical strike. His attack splintering off the shins of his opponent.

Lukas struggled to control his breathing as he let the anger dissipate. He had nearly killed the boy. Only Ellis noticed seemed to notice the original trajectory of Lukas' sword, heading straight for Aiden's throat before being averted to his lower legs.

Lukas pointed his sword, now nothing more than a splintered hilt, at the defeated son of a merchant, writhing around on the floor. "That's what I think of the Davenstroke's."

"Those are some bold words for a farmer," a voice called from outside the ring, which opened up to one side as nobles pushed through, revealing Erik. "You know I could have you killed for such statements, could make you disappear and no one would even remember you existed." He strolled towards the centre of the ring. "But I'm feeling generous. I'll discipline you myself, though I can't promise you won't end up dead either way. There are limits to my generosity you see." He regarded the onlookers for a moment, sensing their fear at the change in situation, before continuing. "I see you are in need of a new weapon," he threw a sword at Lukas, the weight of which caught Lukas by surprise - it was metal. Erik raised a metal sword of his own. "I can tell you don't like my family, why don't you take it out on me" he smiled, though Lukas felt no kindness nor familiarity behind the expression.

Realisation dawned on Lukas, he felt silly for not making the connection earlier. Erik shared the same surname with Gerard from Ormwell, of course they were from the same noble family. But how were they were connected, were they distant cousins or more closely related?

As if reading his mind, Erik spoke, "now that I think about it, you can't have seen my Pa when out picking potatoes, so when was it?"

"So you're his son," Lukas looked him up and down, "that explains a lot."

Lukas' opponent attacked first again. There was a brilliant spark and loud clang of metal as the two swords connected. Erik's attack was quickly followed up with a thrust, to which Lukas calmly sidestepped. Unlike Lukas' first adversary, Erik held his sword more loosely despite its heavier weight. It seemed Lukas couldn't win this one by getting into his opponent's head again.

"You have a shred of talent," Erik said coolly, though with a malevolent glint in his eyes, "but I'm going to have to back my rather unfortunate friend here," he gestured at the sobbing Aiden, now dragged from the circle and cast to the side by those he had practically insulted, "you need to be knocked down a peg or two, reminded of your position." Erik attacked in quick succession, snarling when each attempt was evaded. "There is one lesson I wish I could teach you right now, but why do it here when I can do it in front of an adoring crowd."

Erik advanced, his sword a glimmer of light as it came at Lukas. Attack after quick attack had Lukas on the back foot. He was now beginning to worry, a small inkling at the back of his mind was afraid he had underestimated the capability of a noble. There was no room to launch a counter or return the blows in anyway. From the outside, the fight appeared very one-sided.

Alistair and Sadie were grunting their approval from the side-line; the other nobles, including Leo, were watching interestedly to see how events would unfold.

Lukas was back-peddling further, his back almost at the edge of the circle now.

A powerful thrust sent Lukas into one of the onlookers behind him. Amid the heat of the fight, Lukas heard a whisper, so quiet only he could hear it, "focus, you're better than this scum."

It dawned on Lukas that he had completely lost control of himself. Memories of Jasper and Gerard had clouded his mind in fear and anger. Focus your mind before your body.

Lukas shook his head, collecting himself once more.

"Stop stalling," Sadie shoved Lukas from behind, pushing him back within range of Erik's sword.

Lukas did all he could to evade the tempered steel, inches from his face. Off-balance from the shove, he was unable to avoid the point finding flesh, nicking his shoulder. He quickly rolled away, checking the injury to find blood dripping lazily from his shoulder.

Erik threw his hands up in celebration, the other nobles completely indifferent as if nothing less is expected. All were oblivious to Lukas' change in demeanour, who held his sword up once more, despite taking a hit.

"You want more?" Erik's joy turned to anger, "you seriously don't know when to give up."

He attacked again as he had before, only this time, Lukas had focused his mind. He closed his eyes, letting his breath out gently, the world around him slowing. He could sense the cold, sharp metal of the sword arcing downwards towards his chest. He snapped his eyes open, the world sped up once again. Lukas stepped inside the blow and knocked his opponent off balance. Before Erik could hit the ground, Lukas brought the blunt end of his sword down onto the noble's chest, pinning him to the ground.

Both those of common and noble birth alike were speechless. Erik was the first to react. "I wasn't going to teach you this lesson but you really forced me. Status isn't the most important thing in the world, magic is."

A deep red glow began to emanate from his empty hand, unlike any Lukas had seen before, much darker and more ominous than Leo's. Lukas' muscles seized up as his whole body was cast in a blood red colour. 

-

A nice big chapter to make up for the smaller previous one :) I hope you enjoyed this tense chapter! Let me know what you think with a comment and if you enjoyed, please consider voting!

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

724 50 30
It's been over a cycle since I was almost caught by the Hunters, since I was torn apart from my family and was thrown halfway across the dimension, t...
287 36 23
Ivelle Preston had a perfectly normal life. She grew up in small English town, and she always wished she had a more adventurous life. Her wish came t...
345 56 59
When war is near a group of Elves join together to fight. They all come from different backgrounds and have very different personalities. Follow the...
256 11 35
An unfortunate death. An invitation to another world. A new life with infinite possibilities but it comes with a few conditions. Will the protagonist...