Voices From Within (Book 2)

By JulieGranger

Charlotte Randolph"s head throbbed as the carriage raced through the frigid cold night.Her tongue tasted the... More

Voices From Within - Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Forty

38 9 0
By JulieGranger

Chapter Forty

Until We Meet Again

Early Monday morning, the Thanturnam Estate bustled with activity. They packed the trunks into the carriage. They had checked the Winthrop carriage for repairs, polished it to a sheen, and the well-groomed horses were made ready for the trip to Harrisburg.

The Thanturnam family and their guests enjoyed a breakfast buffet, with everyone eating at different times as they had their last conversations with one another. Charlotte and Ridge enjoyed getting to know one another over breakfast.

"My cousin is having her first season this year. I was wondering if I could ask you to dance with her that evening."

"Please let her know I am only interested in dancing. I have escaped one socialite engagement, and I have no plans to have a relationship until I'm ready."

"You haven't found the right woman yet."

"And when I do, she needs to be a Thanturnum woman. I won't settle for anything less."

"You are young, Ridge. I'm sure love will find you."

"Young? Wait a minute. Aren't we the same age?"

"Oh, I guess we are. I'm sorry. Your clean-shaven look makes you look younger than your brothers."

"I get told that a lot. Maybe I will let it grow. It could get scraggly like Rupert. That beard of his is a woman repellant."

Charlotte laughed at his sense of humor and knew she would miss visiting with these family members.

"Excuse me, Miss Charlotte, Oscar and Jenkins would like to speak to you and Reggie."

"Excuse me, Ridge."

Charlotte walked to the front door, and Oxford went to find Reggie.

"Good morning, Ma'am," said Oscar and Jenkins as they tipped their hats.

"Good morning, gentlemen."

"Ma'am, I was wondering if it was okay to travel back with you and your family to Harrisburg."

"Why, of course, Oscar," said Charlotte. "Milton would enjoy the company. What about you, Jenkins? Are you coming back to Harrisburg?"

"Well, ma'am, I need to talk to Reggie to see if he is still willing to offer me a job. I would like to stay if I knew I would be earning wages."

Reggie came downstairs dressed for working outside today. He joined them in the foyer.

"What can I do for you, gentleman?"

"Good morning, sir," said Oscar. "I wanted to let you know I will be going back to Harrisburg this morning."

Reggie extended his hand and shook the man's hand.

"Really appreciate all your help. I saw all those polished reins and harness in the stable."

"Well, I needed to stay busy, and I was glad to help, for all the good food and drink I enjoyed."

"You are welcome anytime."

"Sir, about the boy?" said Oscar.

"Are you going back to Harrisburg, Jenkins?" asked Reggie as he stared at the young man who looked a sight better than Reggie remembered.

"Sir, if that job offer is still available, I would like to stay and earn my wages."

Reggie looked at him and saw the new boots, the layers of shirts and the warm coat. He knew that if the boy went back to Harrisburg, he'd get into nothing but trouble. He was better off here on the land with fresh air and good people. Besides, they could always use more help on the estate. The boy had proved his worth.

"You got yourself a deal, young man. You certainly held up your end of the bargain. The boys gave you an excellent report."

Reggie reached out his hand and shook Jenkin's hand. The boy just beamed a smile at Reggie, making him laugh as the boy shook his hand with enthusiasm.

"Thank you, Reggie. I appreciate you giving me a chance."

The men said their goodbyes and went to harness the Randolph team of horses to the front of the Winthrop team. The carriage traveling back to Harrisburg would have two teams and a driver and a groomsman. They did a last check of the security of the trunks, and then the men waited patiently.

"Hope I get to see you again," said Jenkins as he felt himself getting choked up as he said goodbye to the old man who had been like a father to him. Oscar was like his only family.

"Oh sure. I'll see you at the end of the month for the big doings when they get married."

"Thank you again for getting all these warm clothes. It sure makes a difference when you're working."

"You need to thank Miss Charlotte."

Jenkins saw Reggie and Charlotte standing together separately from the others. He decided it would be best not to interrupt them.

"No tears, Lass. A month will go by so quickly, and I will come to Harrisburg ahead of my family, so don't worry," said Reggie, trying to comfort Charlotte.

"I'm sorry for the tears. Please forgive me," said Charlotte as she dried her eyes.

Then she stared into Reggie's eyes. "I have never felt this way about anybody before in my life. I love you, Reggie Thanturnam, and I can't wait to be your wife."

"I love you, too, Charlie."

They tenderly kissed goodbye and then strolled to the carriage, holding hands. Jenkins held the door of the carriage opened as Charlotte's family climbed into the enclosure.

"Miss Randolph, I wanted to thank you for the warm clothes. I really appreciate it, considering my behavior."

"Oh, that is behind us. I am glad I could help. I think you made an excellent decision to accept Reggie's offer."

"I do, too. Goodbye Miss Randolph. I'll keep an eye on him for you."

"I appreciate it. Goodbye Jenkins."

Then Constance, listening to the exchange from inside the carriage, peaked her head out the door.

"Jenkins, are you not coming back to Harrisburg with us?"

"No Ma'am. I have accepted a job with Mister Reggie."

"Then let me pay you gentlemen your wages for this week. I appreciate the two of you stayed with my daughter and protected her."

Constance found her coin bag, counted out their wages, and handed the young man the coins. Jenkins thanked her and tipped his hat. He closed the door, wishing them a safe trip.

Then Jenkins handed Oscar his coins. A moment of silence fell as they looked at each other. Jenkins hugged Oscar and told him he would see him at the end of the month. The old man wiped a tear from his eyes and told him to stay out of trouble.

Oscar climbed aboard the large carriage, and he and Milton adjusted the heavy buffalo robe over their laps. The sun was strong, and the temperature was pleasant, with no wind. It was a good day for traveling.

Charlotte held her tears until the end of the driveway. Her father, who was sitting next to her, put his arm around her to comfort her. She laid her head on his shoulder for the first time in her life. She felt his strength and gentleness.

He was her real father. She knew these next few weeks were a gift, an opportunity to get to know her father. For nineteen years, she had called Senator Randolph her father. Charlotte wanted her own affectionate name for Maxwell. Dad? Daddy? Pappy? No, none of them fit.

She looked across to her grandfather, whom she called Poppie or Abuelo. She thought of the Spanish word for father, 'Padre' but that also referred to a priest. Then she settled on Pappa. It popped off her lips with easy.

"Pappa, tell me about your childhood growing up in Mexico," said Charlotte as she laid on his shoulder.

Maxwell smiled at her request, and his stories made the miles pass as they traveled back to Harrisburg.

* * *

When the carriage drove the driveway, Reggie felt like the air he had breathed for the past week was being sucked from his lungs. He was overwhelmed with emotions and blinked his eyes to gain his composure.

Work. That was the cure all for whatever ails you according to the Thanturnams. Reggie walked to the forge and knew the men would work on Roman's buckboard wagon today. He rolled up his sleeves and joined the men that were already laying out the boards for the wagon bed.

Ridge and his father spent the day making rounds and talking to each of the foremen's. Gordon assessed the repairs and Ridge took notes. The youngest Thanturnam felt good getting reacquainted with the men on the estate.

Talia and Rose spent the morning in the sewing room discussing dresses and sketching out their designs. The dilemma would be getting the right material in time to make the gowns by the end of the month.

"I could get Roman to take me to York to select the material, and I could mail the fabric to you from York. We could stay with Aunt Pauline and Uncle Garrett overnight."

"I think that might work. I have enough material to make the lining for the royal blue jacket," said Rose as she looked at the bolts of material on the shelves.

"We are planning to travel tomorrow morning if the boys get the wagon done," said Talia.

"Oh, I hate to see you leave so soon."

"Roman is excited to work at our place, and I am ready to be at home for a few days. I must admit, I am tired of traveling."

"I must confess I am tired of a houseful of guests. Don't get me wrong. I love to entertain, but it has been a full two weeks."

"Your secret is safe with me," laughed Talia.

She so admired her mother-in-law, but she looked tired.

"Would you like to get some fresh air and go for a walk?"

"That sounds good. Constance walked outside every day, and I joined her as we walked the paths in the garden. I need to do that more often."

The women left to get their outerwear, and they met in the kitchen.

"Let's go see how the wagon is coming along."

* * *

The wagon was finished by evening, including the side boards. The men were tired when they came into dinner that evening. It felt good for Talia to be with the Thanturnum family at the dinner table. The conversation was comfortable, and the men relaxed, knowing they had worked hard today.

Talia and Ridge talked through the cocktail hour about Josie, and it surprised Talia to hear Ridge's observations of her friend. But she realized Ridge was convinced that he did the right thing by calling off the engagement. She felt bad knowing that Josie thought the world of Ridge. But maybe that wasn't enough to hold them together.

By the end of the evening, Roman had bought four pigs from Reggie to haul to his estate. He bought one male and three females. Reggie told his father he was interested in a boar and heifers for the spring.

"We just got those animals hauled over here for the winter, and now you want to haul them back?" asked Rupert.

"Not until the weather warms up, and the barn is ready with feed and bedding," said Reggie.

"That makes more sense. Tough to get bedding this time of year."

"I want to sell the steers and start a fresh herd with Ivan's bull. The sows are good breeding stock, and I want to keep them."

His father negotiated with Reggie and bought one sow. They discussed what boar would be good for breeding. The men talked about horses, the colts, and the extra livestock, while the women visited about their gowns and the trip to Harrisburg.

It was early when Reggie excused himself for the evening. He said goodnight and retired with a bottle of whiskey to his bedroom. In his bedroom, he poured himself a drink and stoked the coals in the fireplace. He added another log.

The journal was calling his name. He needed answers, and he knew they were in the journal. Reggie removed the leather-bound journal from his secret hiding place in his room.

He went through the pages, looking for any letters he may have missed. In the back of the journal, there were two thick pieces of paper stitched together with a button and a string. He unwound the string and pulled out two envelopes.

The first one read: Please personally deliver this letter to my dear friend, Captain Everett Wellington at 112 4th Street Harrisburg, Pa. It was sealed with wax and the imprint of an 'I', same as his brand on the cattle.

The second letter was addressed to Reggie. He opened the letter and read the familiar script. Ivan's voice seemed to resonate from within the sheets of paper.

My dear Reggie,

By now, you have found the letter for Everett. He and I served in the war together with the 104th Cavalry and fought in the southern part of Pennsylvania. He saved my life, and he is the reason I met my beloved Martha.

Everett is my contact in Harrisburg for exchanging the gold into currency. He receives one-third of the money each time I visit, which is usually four times a year. Please carry on this payment to my friend. It does my heart good to know he is well taken care of in his later life.

Be discreet when you visit him. I have been followed on my last two visits with him. Somehow someone knows of the gold and my gold mine. Please do not tell anyone about its location. The mine is small, and it has provided me with enough money to buy livestock and feed.

As you read through my journal, I have explained where the gold is hidden in the cabin and the barn throughout the journal. I couldn't spend it all in my lifetime without drawing suspicion. Martha never wanted trinkets and scolding me for spending my money so foolishly.

Take care of my animals and the land. Keep the mine secret and use the money for good with tithes to the church and helping your family. I have lived a wonderful life with the woman I loved on my land. Please don't mourn my death but enjoy the life God has blessed you with every day and give thanks to the Lord.

Your friend,

Ivan J. Polansky

The next page of the letter was a well-drawn map to the mine. There were landmarks and a drawing of the entrance. Reggie studied the map and knew it had to be on the outcropping of rocks made by the glacier, giving Mr. Berman the good pastureland where they found the cattle.

Reggie laid awake that night knowing he would travel to find the mine tomorrow. He laughed at the idea of Ivan stashing small bags of leather filled with gold dust and nuggets in the barn. But as more thoughts on the content of the letter came to mind, it unnerved him, thinking of someone following Ivan and knowing about the mine.

He felt confident in his skills to defend himself in the city. Reggie knew he needed to be discreet with his weapons when in Harrisburg. He needed to convince Scotty to help him practice his moves of fighting with a knife.

A list of supplies to take with him to the mine tomorrow circled in his head. Soon, sleep fell upon him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4M 198K 101
"WHY CAN'T YOU GET IT INSIDE YOUR HEAD?" He trapped my trembling body between his arms and slammed his fist into the wall. I flinch at the sound as I...
Stolen By Jay Bean

Mystery / Thriller

1M 26.8K 38
WARNING: This story was written a few years back and has MANY grammar and spelling errors so please don't read if that will bug you. You have been wa...
378 47 15
Daniel has not seen Maddie in ten years. The last time he saw her he pushed her into a mud puddle and then stormed off. What could he say? The girl r...
48.9K 1.7K 47
DISCLAIMER: PICTURES ARE FROM PINTEREST BUT AESTHETICS ARE MADE BY ME. *Spinoff to lost in the darkness but can be read as stand alone!* Dante Denaro...