Voices From Within (Book 2)

By JulieGranger

Charlotte Randolph"s head throbbed as the carriage raced through the frigid cold night.Her tongue tasted the... More

Voices From Within - Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Eight

39 9 0
By JulieGranger

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Sunday Dinner

By sunrise the three of them left with Ridge's buckboard packed, and Talia and Roman choose to ride the extra horses they bought. The sun was out bright as they rode that morning in the crisp January air. It was a four-hour ride to the estate. The boys looked forward to surprising their parents and their brothers.

It was noon when they arrived at their home estate. The boys untied the trunks and carried them into the house.

"What a wonderful surprise," said Oxford as he opened the door for the boys. "Hello Mrs. Thanturnum, so nice to see you."

"Hello, Oxford," said Talia. "Where is everyone? It is so quiet."

"You just missed them. They went over to Mr. Polansky's to look at the cabin for Reggie and Miss Charlotte."

The three of them looked at each other with curiosity.

"How long ago did they leave?" asked Roman.

"About a half hour ago," said Oxford, referring to the clock in the foyer.

"Let's ride over there and surprise them."

The three of them left and rode their horses another five miles to the Polansky cabin. When they pulled into the driveway, they saw the large Thanturnum sleigh and knew everyone must be here.

Charlotte's family had toured the cabin and were in the back hallway when Kaiser started barking. Reggie went to check on the dog and looked outside, recognizing Talia and his brothers. He announced the visitors and ran out to the porch to greet them.

"Hello. Come in," said Reggie. "What are you guys doing here?"

There was a rush of questions and greetings as they filled the cabin. Introductions were made, followed by handshakes. Rose was thrilled to see her boys and Talia. She hugged them with tears in her eyes.

Charlotte was taken by surprise. Roman was the most handsome of all the Thanturnum men, and the descriptions of Talia had not done her justice. She was a couple of inches shorter than her husband, and her long auburn hair gave her a glow. She was breathtaking.

Reggie encouraged everyone to sit down for lunch. The women helped Charlotte serve coffee and ladle the soup. They removed towels from the platters, and the guests helped themselves as they sat on the benches of the trestle table. Stories were told, and the pieces were brought together for the travelers.

"The man I met said his name was Baldwin," said Roman.

"Was he tall and thin with a long, dark moustache?" asked Charlotte.

"Yes, he was."

"That was Mr. Armstrong, the senator's aide. Mr. Baldwin was arrested with my father."

Then they explained the duel and the arrest of the two men. Then their mother interrupted to ask how long her sons were staying.

"I was hoping Reggie had that buckboard ready. I want to take back my tool chest, and the team of horses Rupert promised me. By the way, where is Rupert.?"

"He was invited to the Andersons for Sunday dinner."

The brothers started laughing at the idea of Rupert courting a woman.

"Ridge, what are your plans?" asked his father.

"I am home to stay. I broke off the engagement with Josie."

His mother gasped, and his brothers cheered. Ridge explained his reasoning, and many of them understood.

"Well, those are a few things I don't have to worry about with Charlotte," said Reggie. "Charlotte and I are engaged and hope to be married as soon as possible."

Ridge, Roman, and Talia congratulated them both with hugs and handshakes.

"My dear, when you say you want to be married as soon as possible, I feel there should be an engagement period. Besides, we will need to make your wedding dress," said her mother.

"Men, that might be our cue to let these women talk," said Gordon. "Let's go outside and look at the barn. It is truly a masterpiece."

Men got dressed in their outer gear, and the women cleared the table. Tension was thick in the air as the women worked. Talia rolled up her sleeves and started the water for dishes. Rose and Charlotte put away what little food was left.

Constance found a towel and dried dishes as Talia washed. Talia told the women about their trip to Cumberland to see Rose's sister and her husband. She explained the horses they bought, along with a wagon bed for their new estate. When they finished, the women enjoyed a cup of coffee at the table.

"So, what are your plans, Charlotte?" asked Rose.

"We discussed two options. One, we could get married by Father D'Angelo at the Thanturnum estate, especially since Reggie's brothers are here."

"Or?"

"I know, Mother, you have dreamt of me walking down the aisle at St. Michael's church."

"What mother hasn't? Plus, your grandfather would be so thrilled."

"We could attend Juliette's party at the end of the month as a family and have the wedding ceremony on Sunday with a reception at the Winthrop's."

"That would give us some time to be make everything perfect."

"But we don't want to wait that long."

"The month will go by fast and please don't deny me a church wedding for my only daughter."

"Then who do you think should walk me down the aisle? Grandfather or my real father?"

Constance realized the scandal that would cause for Charlotte, and the news of Senator Randolph's arrest would be all over the papers.

"Let's think about it and talk more tonight," said Constance as she mulled around her thoughts.

"Talia, would you like to see the rest of the cabin?" asked Charlotte.

She showed her the dressing areas by the beds and the hand-carved nativity scene. Charlotte and Talia pulled open the root cellar door, and the girls climbed down the ladder. Charlotte showed her the priest's hole.

"This is too beautiful to be hidden down in this cellar," said Talia.

"It was where Mrs. Polansky prayed every day during the winter. She has another statue in a corner of the garden."

When they climbed out of the root cellar, Charlotte showed her the long hallway at the back of the cabin that led to the smokehouse. The light through the windows had warmed the area.

"I would love to see the garden with the other statue," said Talia.

The girls put on their outer gear and went out the back door as the women relaxed in the large chairs by the fireplace. Charlotte and Talia went out the back door and followed the path to the garden.

"Wow. Look at the size of this garden!" exclaimed Talia.

There were overgrown weeds that peaked through the snow. Portions of the path showed as they walked to the corner where the statue of the Virgin Mary resided.

"What a beautiful statue."

"I think so. I am curious to see what plants come back this spring."

"Charlotte, I think this is a wonderful place with a magnificent view. But I take it your mother thinks you should live in a larger house with servants."

"Exactly. But I want to be with Reggie. If he wants to live here, then I will live with him and make it work."

"Is that what you want?"

"Yes. I feel such a sense of peace when I'm here. The world melts away, and it is just Reggie and I. Oh and Kaiser," said Charlotte as she felt the dog against her leg.

The girls continued their walk as they looked at the orchard and followed the fence line towards the barn. When they arrived at the barn, the men had hitched the horses to the sleigh for the return trip home.

They placed the food hamper and the large pot used for stew in the sleigh. The women donned their winter outer wraps, and everyone prepared for the trip to the Thanturnam Estate.

Reggie and Charlotte were the last to leave the cabin, making sure the fires were extinguished, and the doors locked. On the ride home, Charlotte asked all sorts of questions, and Reggie did his best to answer each one. Charlotte told Reggie how much she liked Talia. They both realized Charlotte's mother was not happy with their admission that they wanted to get married right away. By the time they arrived at the estate, they were resigned to the fact that they would have to spend three weeks apart to keep the peace in the family.

* * *

Sunday morning found Rupert hungover from drinking beer and then whiskey at the foreman's party last night. Early morning chores and the fresh air cleared his head as he rode to the Anderson's place to visit Julia. She had invited him for Sunday dinner, and he had accepted before she left Roman and Talia's wedding.

She was a pleasant girl with blond braids and a hearty laugh. Julia enjoyed dancing and an excellent brew. Rupert had enjoyed her company when they played cards as partners. He knew her aunt and uncle, but something didn't set right with Rupert. It felt like he was sliding close to courting and marriage.

Mr. Anderson greeted Rupert as he rode in the house yard and walked him to the house, telling him he was going to meet the whole family. A chill went down Rupert's spine. He didn't like the feeling; he felt like he was walking into a trap.

The whole family was there, including Julia's parents, her younger sisters, and the Anderson's brood of children. Rupert heard a shrill commanding voice yell at the children to be quiet, and then seconds later Julia walked out of the kitchen with a sweet, demure smile as she greeted Rupert.

Julie introduced Rupert to her parents as she clung to his arm. The dining room was crowded with chairs set around a long, thin table. Rupert felt like a bull in a china shop with nowhere to turn.

Mrs. Anderson rushed everyone to find a seat for lunch. A lengthy prayer was said and a unison, 'Amen' followed. The Norwegian Sunday dinner was served. Lutefisk, runny potatoes with white gravy and not a speck of black pepper, green beans that had been boiled until there was no green left. And no bread.

They served instead lefsa, which was a paper-thin potato pancake that tore apart in Rupert's large hands. Mr. Anderson showed him how to put butter and sugar and roll them it up to eat. It was the worse meal Rupert had ever eaten. And no dessert.

After the meal, Julia escorted Rupert into the parlor to visit with her parents. Mrs. Anderson served them coffee and pass a tray of cookies. They were small, tiny shortbread cookies and some empty tart shells. The tiny cookies were dry and brittle. When Rupert bit into the sunbakle, the cookie shell crumbled into his long beard; he brushed the crumbs off onto the floor as Julia's mother gasped at his manners.

"Young man, I want to know your intentions for marriage with my daughter," said Julia's mother as she stared at the large man.

Rupert jumped to his feet and professed that he had no intentions of marrying.

"Oh, Miss Julia would be a fine wife, but I wouldn't make a good husband."

"Of course, any young fellow would think himself lucky to have such a catch. Why wouldn't you make a good husband?"

"Oh ma'am, I drink a powerful lot. I work morning to night and then I drink with the boys when the work is done."

"It is hard to drink it if ain't on the premises."

"We brew our own for the estate. Beer, whiskey, and wine."

Rupert could tell he was ruffling her feathers as she stewed more with every comment.

"I'm sorry, Julia, if I gave you the wrong impression about wanting to get married. I had a real fine time with you at the wedding reception, but I'm not ready to get married. Thank you for the meal, but I best be going."

Julie started crying and ran out of the room. Rupert left to collect his wraps and thank the Andersons for their hospitality. Mr. Anderson walked with Rupert over to his horse. The men were talking animals when Julia came running out of the house with a wrapped package of food with cookies and lefsa to share with his family.

"Please Rupert. Don't leave. I know it was too early to meet my parents, but I thought you really liked me."

Then Julia let out a mournful cry with her mouth wide open, and that is when Rupert saw the missing tooth.

"What happened to your tooth?"

Julia stopped crying and looked at him with a queer look at the strange question.

"Oh that," she said, wiping her eyes. "The boys were fighting, and I got in the middle of it to break it up, and one youngster swung and hit me in the mouth, knocking out my tooth."

It was a sign from God, thought Rupert.

"Right, sorry to hear that. Well, I got to be going." Rupert mounted his horse and galloped down the driveway to freedom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 75.9K 33
(Warning: Rated R) "Now your turn."He watched as she bit her bottom lip and studied what he had written before. She softly said each letter as she wr...
7.2M 215K 47
"I need to go," I mumbled. Before I could take another breath, he had me pinned against the wall. "You aren't going to move another inch," his voice...
104K 4.6K 16
I'm working every waking hour. You'd think that smuggling would pay better, but nothing has been easy since the war. I can't go on like this. I need...
125K 2.9K 35
Caitlyn Winter she was never a party animal, but she went anyway, everything to just get out. Eventually she bumped into someone, someone that was no...