Harrisons - The Last Chapter

By symhere

Charlie gives birth to a beautiful baby girl. Maria is marrying Silas, again. Elizabeth is still trying to mo... More

Chapter One: From Where They All Left.
Chapter Two: Charlie In Labor
Chapter Three: Ella
Chapter Four: The Pain Marcus Cause Her.
Chapter Five: Misery And Insecurities.
Chapter Six: The New Insecurities.
Chapter Seven: Seeding The Doubts
Chapter Eight: An Uninvited Guest.
Chapter Nine: The Wedding (Part I)
Chapter Ten: The Wedding Day (Part II)
Chapter Eleven: Just Married
Chapter Twelve: A Big Announcement
Chapter Thirteen: Nothing's Too Easy.
Chapter Fourteen: The Foremost People.
Chapter Fifteen: A Secret Crush.
Chapter Sixteen: The Panic Within The Harrisons.
Chapter Seventeen: Building Trust, Repairing Relations.
Chapter Eighteen: To Find A Home.
Chapter Nineteen: One Last Try
Chapter Twenty: Dream Girl
Holiday Special: Marcus And Charlie
Chapter Twenty-One: An Ugly Truth
Chapter Twenty-Two: A Deadly Threat
Chapter Twenty-Three: Ally Or Enemy?
Chapter Twenty-Four: Hulk Marcus
Chapter Twenty-Five: For The Sake Of Normalcy.
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Fight
Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Weakening Bond.
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Motherliness Within.
Chapter Twenty-Nine: An Unexpected News
Chapter Thirty: Speculations and The Fear.
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Agony Of The Harrisons.
Chapter Thirty-Three: The Fear of the Uncertainty.
Chapter Thirty-Four: When a Loved One Leaves
Chapter Thirty-Five: Big Decisions
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Sweet Welcome
Chapter Thirty-Seven: A Hard To Keep Secret.
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The One They Lost
Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Last Goodbye
Chapter Forty: All Works Out For The Best
EPILOGUE
Epilogue (Part 2)

Chapter Thirty-one: Owen Harrison

725 22 0
By symhere

Marcus's hands shake. He knew what his father would tell him wouldn't make him sit and relax. Even when he was trying to tell himself that whatever his father will tell him will not be good and that he should be prepared, no prep talk was enough for him. He had an idea what it could be, but still, the news of Owen trying to fight cancer hit him hard. He knows that his father is on the other line – listening to his shaky breath while he tries to come up with words, but he just couldn't speak. He had so much to say, but those words wouldn't come out of him. And the fact that his father is thousands of miles away from his family – going through the brutal treatment alone was piercing his heart.

Owen on the other side closed his eyes and sighed. He tried to hide it from his family as long as he could, but of course, Marcus figured it out. Owen is sick. He is old and he is tired. He doesn't have the will to keep this hidden from his family, because from what it looks like he doesn't have much time. He tried to fight. He did it for his children – he did it to see his grandchildren grow, but he is losing this battle. He is losing it to cancer. The thought of his family growing without him watching him prosper made his eyes water.

Owen opened his eyes. His skin has gotten darker from the chemotherapy. His nails are blue and hard. His hair has completely fallen off. His appetite has died. His body aches all the time. Sometimes, he just wants to give up. He doesn't want to fight it. He wants to surrender and just go, but then the urge to be around his family makes him want to fight, but this battle is harder than he presumed.

"How did you know?" Owen spoke weakly. He didn't have to fake his strength in front of his son. There is a part of him that is glad that he doesn't have to try – it was getting very tiring.

Marcus had tears streaming down his face. He snuffled and looked up at the sky – slowly getting brighter. "I –" He paused to compose himself. He closed his eyes tightly and let out a silent sob. His heart was so heavy. His father – his parent – his mentor – his everything was sick and probably dying. It broke him to think that Owen has been fighting such a vicious disease all alone. He snuffled again. He wasn't even hiding the fact that he was crying. "I knew something was not okay. There were days you weren't answering our calls. You can't lie, so each time you use the same lie – you were out with Franklin – showing him around. And then you stopped video chatting with us. I knew you were hiding something and I knew it was something about your health." He paused, "I had to reach out to Lauren (Owen's secretary) to confirm it." He stated.

Owen weakly chuckled, "So, she told you everything," He mumbled and shook his head – chuckling. "You know, when I was coming here for the treatment, she told me that if ever either of you come to ask her about my health – I will not hide anything from them." He smiled, "She knew that one day someone from you would figure it out." He sighed and closed his eyes – he was feeling sleepy.

Marcus gulped, "You will not do this alone anymore, dad. We are coming for you." Marcus said. Owen didn't have the will to fight him he only hummed, which only made Marcus cry more. Franklin was also present with Owen in the room – he watched as his friend struggled not to fall asleep and decided to snoop in.

He took Owen's phone from him and pressed it to his ear, "Marcus?" He spoke – his own eyes had tears in them. He had cried so much for the past month – watching his friend's health deteriorating, but still fresh one emerges whenever he sees Owen so vulnerable and weak.

"Franklin, why didn't you tell us?" Marcus asked – looking up at the sky again – begging God for a miracle that saved his father's life. Franklin looked down and smashed his lips together, "I couldn't. He wouldn't let me. I am so sorry I kept this from all of you, but son, please – you need to come as soon as you can." He paused and turned his head to look at his sleeping friend, "Owen is not okay. He needs his family right now," His voice wobbled. Franklin's heart tore into pieces when he heard Marcus break down on the other end.

Silas read Marcus's message again and again on his phone. "You need to come to New York as soon as possible." Silas wonders if this has anything related to Sean's death. Silas has been in contact with his lawyer – just in case Silas is approached, but even after two days – no one came for him. Maria is still unaware of Sean's suicide – and with each passing hour – Silas feels guilty about it. Maria was currently folding her clothes and placing them in her bag as they are to leave for New York tomorrow.

Silas was staring at his phone. Marcus never texts like this. Whenever there is something urgent – he calls. Texting Silas like this is very unlikely for Marcus and it makes him worried. He gulped and lift his head when Maria put her hand on his shoulder. She could see him disturbed. He has been sitting on the edge of the bed and staring at his phone for a while now. She wondered if everything was okay. "Hey, are you okay?" She mumbled.

Silas blinked and quickly nodded his head, "Um, yes. Uh, yes. Just something about work," He smiled at her before placing his hand on her hand that rests on his shoulder. Maria squints her eyes. Something doesn't seem right to her. She opened her mouth to question it when Silas's phone started to go off. Silas and Maria both glanced at the phone's screen to see Elizabeth calling them. They are supposed to go for dinner at her and Leo's place.

Silas stood on his feet, "I will take it," He smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek before he walked out on the balcony of the room and answered the call. "Hey, Lizzy." He spoke cheerily – although his heart was racing in his chest. He couldn't wait for this call to end so that he could call Marcus and ask him about the message he received.

"Hey, Silas. How are you?" She asked him. Silas smiled and shrugged, "I am good. How are you and Leo?" He asked back to which she replied, "We are fine." She sounded a bit distracted. "Hey, listen. Uh, I got a very weird text from Marcus just now." She mumbled. Silas paused. He held to his phone tightly. Something was wrong – something was very wrong.

Silas blinked, "Did he ask you to come to New York as well?" He questioned her – scared to get an affirmative answer from her. Elizabeth paused. She pulled her eyebrows together, "He sent you the same message?" She asked. Silas slowly nodded, "Yeah," He replied. "Listen, Lizzy. I will get back to you in a bit. I need to call Marcus. Something is wrong. I can feel it." He told her.

Elizbeth quickly nodded, "I can too," She breathily replied before the two siblings hang up and Silas quickly dialed Marcus's number.

Maria watches Silas stroll out on the balcony. He had his cellphone pressed to his ear and his other hand was resting on his waist. His forehead was creased and by the way, he was clenching and unclenching his hand around his phone, Maria could tell that he was tense. Something has been on Silas's mind for the last two days – Maria know he was hiding something from her, but she didn't press him for it. She planned to talk to him about it when they get home. But whatever it is right now – it was something serious. Maria hasn't seen him this worried in a long time.

Marcus couldn't go to work. He hasn't slept. He is not eating. He is just a big mess. He has already booked three tickets to London for him, Silas and Elizabeth – even before telling them. He didn't even have the heart to call them and tell them, so he simply messaged them – asking them to come to New York as soon as they can. Marcus's phone was ringing while he sat on the floor in the corner of his room. Charlie heard his phone ring and came into the room from the kid's bedroom. She heaved a sigh when she sees Marcus on the floor. He has been a mess since the morning.

Charlie found Marcus crying in the backyard in the morning. She immediately knew it was about Owen since he was very worried about his father for the last two weeks. When she approached him, he didn't tell her anything immediately. He just hugged her and cried. Charlie doesn't know how long he cried in her arms before he finally told her. Owen has cancer. He is not doing well. Charlie was stunned to move for a while. All the good memories she had with him rushed to her. It was like someone knocked the air out of her lungs. It took her a while to collect herself for Marcus and the kids. The atmosphere at their house has been gloomy ever since – even Kathie was able to notice that.

She quickly gets to him to see Silas's name displayed on the phone, "Marcus, baby, it is Silas. You need to answer it." Charlie told him and kneed in front of him. She picked up his phone and handed it to him. Marcus looked at her with swollen red eyes. He snuffled. He has been crying like a child since he learned about Owen's health. No one can determine how much Marcus loves his father. For Marcus, he is his world and now he is close to losing his world. "Come on, Marcus, he needs to know about this. You can't just leave them a message. Answer it," Charlie urged.

Marcus collected himself and nodded before he answered, "What the hell, Marcus? What took you so long to answer? And what is with this text message you sent me and Elizabeth? What's wrong?! You are freaking me out!" Silas spoke urgently. Marcus closed his eyes tightly as tears streamed through his cheek. He could hear Maria mumble in the background, "Silas, relax."

Marcus blinked, "I –" He choked on his own words. There was complete silence before he heard Silas releasing a shaky breath, "Marcus," Silas softly mumbled, "Why are you crying? What's wrong? Is it – God, help me, is it something about dad?" Silas sound too scared to know, but the three siblings have been having their doubts about their father's wellbeing.

Marcus gulped, "Yes," He whispered. "We need to go to dad, Silas. He needs us." Marcus told Silas.

Leo's fingers had gone cold. Elizabeth knows about Owen's condition. She didn't reach out to him, but his father did. Franklin told Leo that Marcus came to know about Owen's cancer and have told Silas and Elizabeth. Leo rushed to the call room. He pushed his hair back and closed his eyes tightly. Elizabeth will not take this well – how could she. Owen has been an amazing father to his children – an ideal father. Leo was panicking about her. She must need her. She was at work and so was Leo. Leo tried to call her, but she wasn't answering. "Shit," He cursed under his breath and once again tried to call her – again to avail.

The door of the call room opened and Amanda walked in, "Leo, sorry I followed you, but you looked pale when you rushed in here. Are you feeling okay?" She asked him. Leo had his eyebrows knitted, "No," He shook his head to his friend. "Elizabeth needs me right now." He told her. Amanda creased her forehead, "What do you mean? Is she okay? What happened?" She asked him – coming into the room with her hand on her chest.

Leo told her everything. While he was telling her, he tried to call Elizabeth a couple more times but now her phone just went to voicemails. Amanda quickly take her phone out, "Let me ask Ethan to check on her," She mumbled and dialed his name. Leo nodded his head, "Yes, please." He mumbled as he tried to leave her messages.

Leo doesn't know how will she react when she learns that he knew about his health for a month now. She might be angry with him. No, she will be angry with him. Not just her, Leo si certain that Silas and Marcus will not take this news lightly as well. They already know that Leo's father knew about it all along – but it is different with Franklin. Elizabeth will not forgive Leo. At this moment, he doesn't care. All he cares about is her. He needs to get to her – be with her.

This must be the most difficult time for her – he knows because he lost his mother to cancer – he knows how painful it is to see loved ones suffer while you watch because there isn't much that you can do, except for watching them slowly aim towards death.

"I talked to Ethan. He will check on her own. You should go to her as well," Amanda suggested.

Leo shook his head, "I can't leave like this. I have to be here," He replied.

Amanda sighed, "Look, go see her for an hour, okay? I will cover for you till then. I am done for the day anyway," She offered.

Leo looked at her gratefully, "Are you sure?" He asked.

Amanda chuckled, "Leo, you have covered for me so many times. I can do it for you once – I am fine and anyway, you have to do an emergency today and it isn't as crowded as usual, so I am good. Just go see her, okay? She needs you right now." Amanda told him with a sweet smile on her face. Leo thanked her and hugged her before he rushed out to see Elizabeth.

It will be a hard night for the Harrisons. The news will be hard to process. There will be tears. Memories will rush back to them. There will be heartbreaks, but it is also the time for them to get together and be there as a unit for their father – the man who made them who they are – for Owen Harrison

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

367K 10.5K 47
Ethan is a 27 year old billionaire and an extremely awful husband to his 24 year old wife, Olivia. He only ever puts his interests before hers but ab...
4.6M 106K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...
4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
2.8M 86K 58
When a bubbly farmer Faye gets sent on a mission by her best friend, the infamous journalist Elizabeth Venice. Faye finds herself in New York City, o...