The Shadows That Burn (Daught...

By Suri-Sabri

It's been three months since the events of The Honouring Day, and Ignolia is still mourning the sudden disapp... More

~Note~
Ch.1: The Lure of Dreams
Ch.3: A Sliver of Hope
Ch.4: The Crimson City
Ch.5: Empty Shadows
Ch.6: Escape
Ch.7: A Slim Chance
Ch.8: Conversations With A God
Ch.9: Tears of Resolution
Ch.10: Formulating A Plan
Ch.11: Secrets Unfold
Ch.12: The Tale of the Silver Peony
Ch.13: Preparations
Ch.14: Into The Fire
Ch.15: Behind the Shadows {Part 1}
Ch.16: Behind The Shadows {Part 2}
Ch.17: The Roots in Your Blood
Ch.18: Promise
Ch.19: A God's Tears

Ch.2: Ellesmere

67 4 32
By Suri-Sabri

The golden dome of the Congress's headquarter was the first thing anyone could spot upon arriving in Ellesmere. With the many scouting missions, I thought I would get used to seeing it every time we headed back, but the towering building always held my attention.

Ellesmere was far from a small town but a lively city built atop green-capped hills. However, the Congress' headquarter made it seem insignificant compared to the sheer size of the dome.

I always wondered whether it was made of real gold or just made to be that color. In any way -and I don't know why -but it never really was to my taste. Something in the way it made everything else look small made me dislike the building.

"Home sweet home," Dorian sighed beside me, his tone not matching the tired look on his face. Behind him, an almost transparent silver panther pounced, the end of his glowing tail connecting the silver markings on Dorian's sun-kissed forearm. I believe he named that one Orm.

Redmond came up to my left, his shoulders stiffening. He never liked being in Ellesmere, saying that the city needed a little green. Which, come to think of it, he was right. The only greenery that surrounded the city was a series of hills that seemed to stretch forever. Other than that, no trees, no mountains. Not even any lakes. And the sea was miles and miles away.

To his and Ayana's fortune, only the Citar, a riverbank that expanded all the way from Freyr, went through the middle of the town's square. Other than that, Ellesmere was a city of stone and metal.

"I have half a mind to turn that hulking dome into a magnificent willow," Redmond grumbled, and I laughed at his offended expression. "Honestly, it's as if they build something new every time I'm back here."

Dorian was scratching Orm's ethereal back. I never really understood that since it wasn't an actual animal, nor did it have any fur. But it seemed a force of habit. He looked a bit annoyed at Redmond. "Listen, Flower Boy, this is the future," he gestured a hand at the grey and brown structures. "Not everyone is willing to understand it. But it's happening, whether you like it or not."

Redmond frowned at the nickname and looked rather unimpressed by the 'future' Dorian was so proud of. Nonetheless, he didn't say anything.

So I did. "Well, to me, I think whoever built this should really reconsider putting some color to it. It's drab."

Dorian's head whipped at me, and then those large brown eyes rolled back. "Oh, please! This is so typical."

I raised an eyebrow at that. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

He didn't look like he wanted to answer. He gave Orm one final pat on the head before it disappeared back to his arm, then turned to me and said, "Many people don't understand Ellesmere's way of living. You and your friends come from the four kingdoms. Things are a little less progressive there."

"Less progressive?" Redmond snapped, the edge in his voice surprising me. "You do realize you take whatever scraps from the mortal realm you get, use it, then completely discard our resources."

"That's not true. It's a lot more complicated than that."

Redmond looked appalled. "I don't see what's so complicated about it. Did you know that Ellesmere used to grow one of the rarest trees in our world? Yeah, it was called Shyfa; the leaves were used for medical purposes. But it was all cut down about a hundred years ago. And for what? To build shops that sell mortal-made medicine. That's the future you're talking about."

"There's nothing wrong with outsourcing things that benefit our society," Dorian protested.

The air around the two was growing thicker. It's the first time I've seen them argue this much. Usually, their conversations would result in snide remarks about our world's economic situation. But this time, things were getting a little out of hand. Especially considering I've never seen Redmond agitated this much. He's a calm person and almost always avoids conflicts.

"Alright, you two," I placed a hand on each shoulder. "That's enough, now. It's not worth arguing over."

Redmond shrugged off my hand, and I tried not to be offended. "Yes, it is. They're ruining everything that makes our world beautiful."

"Oh, why don't you focus on doing your job, Slifer." The word almost felt like an insult on Dorian's tongue. It irked me, but I only tightened my grip on his shoulder. "You couldn't even hold on to your queen."

The hurt in Redmond's vibrant green eyes was visible, and it only furthered my coiling temper. Dorian fell silent upon noticing, his mouth snapping shut.

My fingers weaved between Dorian's collar, and I gave him a slight rattle. "Apologize, idiot."

He swallowed, a bit hesitant. My patience was running thin, so I shook him harder.

His jaw tightened; nonetheless, those coffee-colored eyes snapped to Redmond's solemn face, a hint of regret flashing over them. "I'm sorry. That wasn't your fault."

"I'm sorry too. I got carried away."

"Alright," I smiled, clapped the two on their backs, and they both gave a gruff cough. "Now, kiss!"

Redmond burned a bright scarlet, but Dorian laughed and puckered up his lips. "I would much rather kiss you, Lydia."

I blocked his approaching face with my hand, unfazed by his harmless flirtation. I was half tempted to let him kiss the ground.

"Are you people done?" Lucius complained as he secured his pointed hat atop his head, moving aside the long tangled strands of light brown hair. He had let it grow past his shoulders, and his beard was bushier than ever. "Agatha is going to have my ass when she reads that report."

"Then you shouldn't be rushing us," Dorian joked.

Lucius didn't find any humor in that and instead turned his back to us and started descending down the road.

We were all frustrated, but he seemed to be the one determined to show it most. For me, I allowed any distraction to occupy my time so that I wouldn't be alone with my thoughts. It was like that for everyone too. Lucius, however, appeared to be drowning in his. As if it was some kind of punishment.

I never talked to him about it, despite the many opportunities.

"Do you think Maroo's or Vastia's squad got something?" asked Dorian, not bothering with Lucius's sour mood.

I heard the other man sigh heavily. "If they did, they would have sent a kerc by now."

Their routes were the farthest; Gerard's to the dunes of Dezai and Maroo's to the Salt Caverns.

Ours was just outside the borders of Ellesmere, to the north. A village called Bals, where an alarming report from the locals reached the ears of the Congress officials residing in that area. Apparently, there were sightings of King Calix dwelling in that village. But when our team arrived, it turned out it was just a rouge wizard hunter who stole the magic of a shape-shifting wizard. He didn't even look exactly like King Calix.

So once again, that heavy feeling of failure hit us, and now we were dragging ourselves back to the start.

I never allowed myself to think that far, but often I couldn't help it. Sometimes, it got too heavy to the point I almost lost hope. It would slither in like a serpent whenever I laid awake at night, listening to nothing but the sound of my own head -that dreaded feeling of despair.

What if it was all for nothing? What if they were forever lost?

***

Despite having lived here for almost three months, there seemed to be something new displayed every time I walked through the streets of Ellesmere. The sun was setting, but no one had made their way back home. In fact, people were just starting to emerge. I always thought that Imarnia was crowded, but Ellesmere was on another level. We had to move at each other's backs so we wouldn't get tangled with the masses, and a couple of officers had to drag the supply wagon we brought with us all the way around the town's square, for it was nearly impossible to pass through.

The reason for this commotion was the opening of a brand new toy store in the middle of Ark Street. I could see parents and their children eager to swarm into the three-story building. Apparently, the toys were all imported from the mortal realm, and they all operated on something called batteries.

The smell of freshly painted wood hit me, along with the ecstatic screams of the little boys and girls making their purchases.

"Gods, this is like the third store that has opened since we got here," Redmond exclaimed, clearly in distaste.

I shrugged. "I guess it doesn't really matter as long as people are willing to pay."

It seemed to be that way in this great city. Wherever people had a large sum of money lying around, that's when new shops and markets would open. I used to think the people of Imarnia lived a lavish life with their expensive clothes and style. But even they had their poor or middle-class workers.

Here, however, everyone bathed in money. It was good that the Congress paid for our living expenses and provided a generous sum for our work. Otherwise, none of my fellow Slifers, myself included, would survive a day.

"It's funny, really," Redmond said, looking in the crowd's direction. "Whenever I try to escape people's eyes, they always seem to follow me."

I noticed the wandering gazes, the hushed whispers being made about us. I grew used to it a long time ago.

"I hardly think it's because of what we are," I told him. "They're probably just disappointed we came back empty-handed as usual."

He gave me a tired smile, looking older than he was.

I probably did too. This place was taking its toll on us. With each passing day that we had nothing, we grew wearier, the fire dimming. Nonetheless, I always force myself to get up in the morning, to fight through one more day. I'm pretty sure it was the same for him -for all of them.

Dorian was back to conjuring Orm out of the silver markings that swirled around his arm, entertaining children who played nearby the dark stone bridge atop the Citar. The big cat-like animal pounced playfully, his ghostly tongue darting to lick the cheek of a little girl who was trying to tug on its ears. She squealed in joy, wrapping her tiny arms around the nape of its neck.

For a moment, Luxus flashed through my mind. And just like that, the warmth of the memory was gone. There's no point in recalling what once was, Lydia. You only need to think ahead and move forward.

On our way to the Congress' gate, we passed the keep we'd been lodging in for these past months. The Paeonia was one of the oldest and most respectful inns in Ignolia. Only a select few were allowed to stay. By some miracle, or perhaps good sense, it was the only building in the city that was never remodeled into a more modern construct. It was appropriately maintained, but other than that, it was allowed to stay as it is.

And because we were special guests in the Congress, we were allowed to stay there for free. Well, not entirely, for our living expenses were paid off by the Congress.

It was probably the only place I actually liked in this extravagant, unnecessarily contemporary town. And that's mainly due to the fact that my bed was there.

I would do anything to slip into the soft sheets right now, or at least change from the thick white lined jacket I was growing too warm under. But Agatha was waiting for us, and from what Lucius implied, she wasn't happy.

***

Saying that Agatha Alastair, the founder of the Congress of Magic, was displeased was a vast understatement. She looked like she was ready to use her magic to pin us all to the ground and never allow us to get up back again for another century. She had us all seated at the round table, in the room I hated most in this gods-forsaken city.

Anyone would probably be mesmerized upon first seeing it. I know I did -back when I first thought that being in this room would actually make some progress, that we would be finding clues left and right.

But no. No clues were found. No progress was made-only one failure after another.

So every time I was summoned here, I couldn't help but be slightly sick.

I couldn't even bear to look at the ceiling though it was magnificent. It was made to be in an arch, painted with gold and decorated with detailed paintings of silver peonies. Most people would admire it. I wanted to burn it all down.

Agatha's hard eyes were fixed on the pile of parchment paper set before her, and with a frustrated slam of her hand against the fine wood, a surge of her magic sent them scattering everywhere. No one made a move to collect them, not even the two guards attached to her back.

Her slight power display rattled some of the gold chandeliers hung above, and I suddenly remembered that this was the woman who was said to have squashed an entire army to the ground with one flick of her wrist.

"This cannot be!" She declared as if that could change anything. "All this work and time, and for what? We cannot waste any more resources."

"We will find them, Your Excellency," Lucius assured her, just like he always did. "We only need a little more time."

I wasn't sure if he was trying to convince her or himself.

She shook her head, and her long brown fingers went to the beak of the kerc perched on the arm of her chair. The turquoise bird made a little screech when she took the unsealed letters from its mouth. She tossed them towards Lucius. "They came from the four kingdoms. People are losing their minds."

He took one that had Trinivan's seal; the horned wolf. Those jade eyes skimmed over the words, and with each passing second, they grew more anxious. "King Val says his people are going on their own expeditions to look for their lost king. They don't trust the Congress to handle it."

Prince Val -now the Regent King -was King Calix's younger brother. Since his disappearance, the throne was passed down to Prince Val. From what Elsie said, he was a remarkable young man, fit to be king if Calix wasn't the oldest. However, just like his people, he never really had any regard for the Congress. The northerners were very secluded people to begin with.

"It's the same with Freyr and Vallas. Oh, and Freyr finally decided on a temporary ruler," Agatha informed.

"Who?" I asked.

King Morrison doesn't have any children or siblings, but he does have many cousins. And the ones in line for the throne are his twin cousins. According to Ayana, those two constantly bickered nonstop. So I could imagine what it was like having to choose one of them. They've been holding off for three months now.

"Arya was elected," she answered. "She's always been the more sensible one, from what I remember."

Dorian was reading the one with Vallas' seal; the sun and moon nestled between two mountains. "King Rivan, on the other hand, says the people are starting petitions to expel the Congress' officials working in that area for sitting around all day on their asses. And he adds that he might be inclined to let them."

Rivan was Queen Adria's uncle, and from what I've heard of him during these meetings, he seemed to be someone I would get along with very well.

I grabbed the last one, with the silver phoenix stamped on the front. I haven't heard from her in months. Not since the day I left. She only writes to us -and by that, I meant to Agatha. And most of the time, it was Aero who wrote.

And sure enough, it wasn't Lis' handwriting scribbled on the fine parchment.

"This one is from General Aero," I read aloud. "He says that the people of Imarnia are demanding the whereabouts of their king. He wants to know if we found something."

I could almost feel the complete frustration he poured into every word. He wanted to come on this mission, but Lis had ordered him to stay as the Captain of the Guards. It was a rash impulse, but we both understood he only wanted to help in any way he could.

His worry didn't falter for a moment, especially after knowing that the bond between him and Gabriel didn't work anymore. No matter how much he tried detecting anything with the mark on his wrist, nothing happened. The other generals attempted to do the same but to no avail.

It was the same for me too. I tried to dig into whatever bond Aramis said was connecting me with the king. All that came back was complete emptiness.

"It's been three months!" Agatha urged. "Three months! And what do we have so far? A lowly wizard hunter who can shape-shift. And not even well, apparently."

She pushed her chair back, twisting one braided strand of white hair around her finger as she paced around. The space between her thin brows was set in such a deep crease that I didn't remember the last time I saw her with a relaxed expression.

I've come to find out that behind her calm and poised exterior, there's always someone who's prepared to yell at you.

A stiff knock on the door sounded, and seconds later, Captain Maroo strutted into the room, her heavy footsteps thudding against the marble floors. Behind her, Elsie and Ayana treaded wearily. Though, Elsie took time to straighten her back and raise her chin. Ayana didn't bother.

Marsie Maroo bowed low, the two more petite girls following shortly. She was a hulking beauty -that's what I always thought. She was taller and bulkier than all of us girls combined and always dressed in leather and mail. Her height probably matched Gabriel's, but I admired the fact that it further added to her beauty.

Well, she wasn't a beauty in the traditional sense. However, she did make heads turn. Her pale skin was dotted with scars, and the biggest and nastiest was the one across her defined cheek. She had her hair cut close to her thick neck, a bright yellow that complimented the dark blue of her eyes.

She was one of our world's most prominent adventurers, the noblest of warriors. I learned about her in school and had her books to entertain me in my childhood years. I remember being so overwhelmed when I first met her.

"Your Excellency, I must convey my deepest apologies." She punched a gloved hand to her chest, her head lowered. "We weren't able to find anything. The Salt Caverns were empty. The alarming reports were false."

"Yes, yes," Agatha waved a dismissive hand. "As it were in your report. I don't need apologies. I need news -good ones."

Marsie's jaw tightened, her shame evident. "Have you heard anything from Gerard's team?"

Agatha sank into her embroidered chair, sighing deeply. "No. Not a word. Though I suspect it's the same as usual."

Marsie unfastened Ironclaw from her back, the infamous black-steeled sword she could transfigure into any other weaponry. She laid it on the table, rolling her shoulders as she took a seat. Though she obviously tried not to show it, the lines on her face appeared deeper, the exhaustion becoming less and less difficult to hide.

"Are there any more?" she asked.

Agatha released a derisive breath and didn't bother the courtesy of an answer. It was Lucius who turned to Marsie. "More what?"

He, too, looked like he'd almost given up.

"More calls," she shook her head in desperation, "whispers, anonymous sightings. Anything. Anything that we can investigate."

A thick silence filled the room, and I suddenly felt nauseated. I ignored the suffocating sensation and placed what I hoped was a comforting hand on Marsie's broad shoulder. Her golden head snapped at me, and she seemed lost despite the years of experience she had before me.

"We'll find them."

***

I poked the piece of meat with my fork, not at all feeling hungry.

"Whatever happened to boar sandwiches?" Redmond protested, eyeing his dish warily. He touched the hard surface of what appeared to be bread with the tip of his finger, confused at the stacked display of meat and cheese. "I mean, how am I supposed to eat that?"

I had to say I agreed. The strange-looking 'sandwich' was too big to be eaten with a fork and spoon. And its crescent shape made it difficult to hold in two hands without the filling falling out.

Dorian rolled his eyes at us, clearly not sharing the same feeling. He had red sauce all over his mouth. "It's called a taco, and it's a mortal cuisine. You're supposed to hold it by the end, then bite into it from the other side."

He showed us what to do, and the sound of the crunch was heard all over the inn's dining hall.

Redmond still looked unimpressed but took a bite. He was messy, the meat and shredded cheese falling to his plate, though the way his eyes lit up gave away his enjoyment.

"It's..." he coughed, wiping the corners of his mouth, and shrugged. "Decent. Not bad."

I wasn't interested in mine, so I pushed the plate away. I'll eat later when I'm feeling better.

"So, we're just going to sit here and do nothing?" Elsie spoke. She didn't touch her food either. Despite being just the five of us, her tone was hushed. "It's clear that Gerard's party isn't coming back with anything."

"What do you have us do?" Ayana wondered. "We can only rely on the Congress. Without them, we wouldn't be able to find all those leads."

"Oh, screw them, I say!" She shot back.

"Whoa!" I let out a low whistle. "I can't believe that's coming from you, Elly. Especially since you were dying to kiss the higher ups' asses when we first arrived here."

The imaginary daggers she shot at me were sharp enough to cut me in half.

"Hey, careful," Dorian warned her, eyes narrowing. "Those are my employers you're talking about. Did you forget that I'm a ranked wizard? Also, don't they pay for the food you eat and the bed you sleep in?"

Her white-silver eyes tinged with a challenge. "And what am I supposed to do? Should I say thank you and stay on my ass till perhaps one of our beloved monarchs shows up dead?"

Ayana shivered beside her. "Don't say that. The gods are with them."

"The gods are shit."

"Elsie!"

I couldn't help the bark of laughter.

Ayana's sea-colored eyes turned to me. "Lydia, don't encourage her!"

I pursed my lips together. "Sorry. But she's right, you know."

Elsie lifted a surprised eyebrow that I had actually agreed with her on something. I shrugged a shoulder and went on, "As much as I hate to admit it, Elsie speaks right. The gods aren't helping us. Even though they knew this would happen all along."

"You're just saying that because you're angry at Aramis," said Ayana, and my amusement wavered at the mention of his name. She noticed my mood shift. "I'm sorry. But I just think you're being a bit unfair."

Elsie clapped her on the back playfully. "I do love moments when you suddenly grow a backbone, Ayana. But I wish you wouldn't think good of everyone."

She was clearly trying to steer the conversation away from Aramis. I sent her a grateful nod, and she reciprocated with a wink.

Ayana's creamy cheeks were a faint red. "I'm only trying to oblige to my faith."

I patted her hand. "I know. I'm sorry if I said too much."

"Me too."

"Now," Elsie fixed her sitting position, "I was serious when I said we should take matters into our hands."

Dorian groaned, still chewing. "You're not done with that."

"No, I'm not." She shot him a stern glare. It amazed me how she could direct this look at a man who was definitely much older and higher-ranked than her. "I believe we're better off searching for the royals on our own than with the Congress's help."

"How are we going to do that?" Questioned Redmond, arms folded against his chest. "We don't have the resources necessary to conduct a search. Nor the money, that is."

She clicked her fingers before him, and a tiny puff of air knocked his face back. Redmond rubbed at his skin, mouth hanging open in confusion. "We're Slifers, idiot. We can do whatever the hell we want."

Dorian snickered at her, and Elsie blinked at him as if daring him to do it again. "Something funny?"

"Yeah," he bobbed his head. "It's funny that you think Agatha would just let you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said.

He looked at each one of us as if amused by our silly plan. "Agatha has four Slifers in her hands. She won't just let them slip by like that. What if you're taken by whatever took our rulers?"

"We chose to come here," I reminded him. "We can leave anytime."

"I'm just saying," he raised both his hands, fingers smudged in the sauce. "You can go ahead and ask her. But I don't think you'll like the answer. Especially at this time."

Elsie appeared like she was about to jam the fork she was clutching into Dorian's eye. Thankfully, she didn't. Otherwise, poor Madam Rubin would have to latch them off each other for the third time this month. And speaking of which, the green-haired housekeeper was watching us behind her bar like a hawk.

"I think it's best if we all head to sleep." Ayana rested a gentle hand across Elsie's arm. "We've had long and tiresome journeys. Let's clear our heads. Tomorrow's another day waiting to be spent."

Her words managed to defuse the charged atmosphere between the two. I thought my squabbling with Elsie was somewhat vicious, but from the minute she met Dorian and he had met her, the two didn't get along at all.

I wonder if they realized how similar they were. If I pointed that out, they would probably never talk to me.

As we were preparing to leave, the loud bang of the front door being jarred open startled us. On instinct, all five of us jumped into a defensive stance. But once all that cold air was cleared out, we realized it was just a panting Marsie gripping the handle so tight I was afraid she would break it.

"Captain Maroo," Rubin breathed a sigh of relief. "You scared the life out of us. What is it at this hour?"

Surprisingly, she was only dressed in her sleeping gown and a thick blue robe wrapped around her muscular body.

Marsie lived in her house nearby, but it seemed like she came running all the way here. She was even in her slippers. I quickly rushed up to her, sliding my arm under hers to provide some warmth.

Her severe panting stopped, and she swallowed roughly. "Agatha...sent me," she gasped, fingers sweeping away the blonde hairs from her face. Her entire skin looked as red as a tomato.

"For the gods' sake, Marsie! Did you run all this way from the Congress?" Dorian hauled her up, and though she was twice his size, he was able to sit her down on a chair.

She gave him a half-grin, teeth flashing white. "Fuck yeah, I did!"

Ayana hurriedly brought a glass of water to her, and the other woman took it and chugged it down with one gulp.

It's then that I noticed the piece of paper clutched in her hands, and on the back, there was the seal of the silver peony.

She set her glass down, inhaled, and said, "Gerard found something. Something big."

"What?" I was still holding her, warming her cold skin with my magic. But the fire that simmered inside me was different. I wasn't sure what to make of her expression.

"Tombs. He found tombs."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.5K 5.9K 32
Having survived three apocalypses - as if one weren't enough! - I knew how to stay alive in a world overrun by nightmarish monsters. Going on a suppl...
502 80 43
Sixteen-year-old Gabriella Kilpatrick can shoot fire from her hands, which would be great if she didn't get blamed for a blazing inferno that kills 1...
17.3K 745 30
This book is a little outdated and will be getting a rewrite soon! ------------------ Fighting, dragons were always fighting in the Rainforest. Not p...
1.7K 128 13
PUBLISHED ON AMAZON/BARNES & NOBLE! BUY NOW!! Born in a world of darkness and locked in a tower because of a curse, Vrai yearns to be set free and...