The Heart's Content

By Emeraldlily16

The classic stories of Hans Christian Andersen meet the Southern Charm of Louisiana when a mermaid who's curi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125

Chapter 27

39 1 0
By Emeraldlily16

As soon as Charlie concluded her performance, the entire audience applauded her loudly. Well all except two audience members, those two were applauding but very slowly and quiet-like. Those two were Alastor and Rosie. Alastor wasn't enthusiastic externally because inside he was overflowing with emotions he had never felt before. Attraction and anxiety, he was flustered and stunned. He simply couldn't take his eyes off Charlie or stop re-hearing her song.

Rosie on the other hand was behaving more subtly because there was something about the way Charlie sang that triggered suspicion. Her the sheer perfection of her voice and the silent yet mesmerized awe of those who heard it, particularly men, that didn't seem like something that came from a regular human woman.

"Charlie you were incredible." Beth said when the blond sat back down at their table.

"You really think so?" She asked.

"That was some of the best singing I ever heard. Right Alastor?"

He didn't respond. He just sat there, his chin resting on a fist as he gazed and smiled at Charlie completely enamoured.

"Al!" Beth cried.

"Huh? What?" He said snapping out of it. "I'm sorry, did you say something Beth?"

"What did you think of Charlie's singing?"

"Oh I...I thought it was beautiful."

"Thank you." Charlie looked away coyly and started to nervously play with her hair. She blushed when she looked back to find him with that same gaze and smile. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Oh! Was I staring? I'm sorry!"

"Is there something on my face? Is my hair messy?"

"No! You look fine! Beautiful!"

She blushed and so did he. He blushed real hard in the face and his body began to sweat terribly.

"Wait I didn't mean it like that! Not that you're ugly but I-I-I-I-I." The poor fellow was a stuttering mess. "Golly, it's getting warm in here. Why don't I go get us all some cold drinks?"

He stood so suddenly that he accidentally bumped into a server and knocked over a few glasses.

"I am so sorry!" He quickly gathered up the mess. "I'll gladly pay for the damages."

He pulled out his wallet and handed the sever twenty dollars in such a fluster.

"Alastor are you feeling alright?" Charlie asked.

"Me?" He tugged on his shirt collar while backing up. "I'm fine! I'm okay! Nothing's wring. I just really need a drink. Don't worry about me. I am perfectly- Ahh!"

He backed himself up right over a chair.

"Oh my goodness!" Charlie gasped.

"Alastor are you okay?" Beth asked,

"Yes!" He picked himself up off the floor quickly, ignoring the pain in his knee. "Clumsy me. I really need to look where I'm going. Excuse me, I'll be right back with those drinks."

Then he ran off as fast as he could.

"Well he's acting very funny." Charlie said. "Maybe he didn't like my singing after all."

"Oh no I think he liked it." Beth disagreed. "And I think that's why he's acting funny."

"I don't understand."

"I think he's finally starting to like you."

"I thought he already did like me."

"No, I think he's starting to like, like you."

"I'm afraid I don't follow."

"Right, I keep forgetting that the men in your world aren't exactly like the ones in mine. What I mean is...Let's see, how do I put this?... He's starting to think that you might become very special to him."

"Special how?"

"The way all women are special to men."

It took half a second for it to sink in for Charlie.

"Are you implying that he intends to choose me for a mate?" Charlie asked now blushing just as much as Alastor had been.

"Not exactly. I don't think he's looking for commitment right now but with time, maybe you two could be-"

"Absolutely not!" Charlie cut her off. "Do you have salt water in your brain? I couldn't possibly mate with him."

"Why not?"

"Well for starters, how about the fact that we're not even the same species?"

"You're only half of a different species."

"We live in two different worlds."

"With an interchangeable tail, there's really no limit in your case. Also you said that you wanted to prove that humans are capable of love, what better way to prove it than to fall in love with one yourself? I mean you'll spending the whole Summer with him anyway."

"Oh my God, you little sneak." Charlie scolded quietly. "That was your plan all along wasn't it? You've been trying to set me up with your brother since the very beginning, haven't you?"

"Well...Not the very beginning." Beth confessed looking a little guilty.

"Oh the nerve of some humans." She scoffed. "How dare you deceive me and how dare you meddle in my relationships."

"Okay don't get too angry, I didn't deceive you all the way. I really did want to help you, I just thought maybe I could also help my brother in the process of it. You know, kill two birds with one stone?"

"Heavens, you kill birds too? What kind of sick child are you?"

"Again metaphor. It means I tried to solve two problems with the same solution. You want to escape being with someone you don't love and prove that humanity can be good. My brother has closed his heart off to everyone except me and I can't be with him forever, he's needs somebody. So I thought..."

"You thought bringing us together would solve those issues?"

"Kind of."

Charlie rolled her eyes.

"Listen I know I may have crossed a few lines but you two are perfect for each other. You're literally his dream woman."

"We've only known each other for three days."

"But you're everything he told me he looked for in a woman."

"Was a fish tail on the list?"

"No."

"And that's why your plan is insane. I'm a mermaid, he's a human, we could never be together. It's strictly forbidden."

"But I thought you were all for breaking the rules and changing things."

"Not if the rules make sense. Think about it, how could he live with me underwater? He can't even swim. And there's the fact that he's your primary care giver and being with me would mean leaving you to fend for yourself."

"You could live up here with us then."

"And never see my parents or my sisters again?"

"You could always visit them."

"No I couldn't. My father would never allow such a union. If I mated with a human he would disown me and I'd be banished from the sea forever. He'd never forgive me and I'd never see my family again. Oh and one more thing, do you honestly think Alastor would love me if he knew what I really was? You think that he could accept that I wasn't a real human?"

Beth became quiet as she thought about everything Charlie had just said. She finally realized that in her excitement to get Charlie and Alastor together, she had overlooked a few important details. Charlie had a point, how would Alastor react if he found out Charlie was a mermaid? He never did take to fairy tales or mythology or anything that logic couldn't explain. Finding out that mermaids were real would most likely not go over with him well.

Rosie then made her way over to them.

"Hello Beth." She said. "Your friend here is a wonderful singer. It's been a long time since I've heard someone sing that good. May I ask who she is?"

"Rosie this is Charlie." Beth introduced. "Charlie this is my brother's boss Rosie."

"Pleased to meet you." Charlie smiled politely.

"Likewise I'm sure." Rosie said. "I beg your pardon, I've never seen you around here before. Are you new to Chant de la Mer?"

"Yes. I'll be spending the Summer here."

"With your family?"

"No. I'm on my own here."

"She's kind of between homes right now so she'll be staying with us for the Summer." Beth said.

"Couldn't she stay at a hotel or an inn?"

"She doesn't have any money."

"We don't use money where I'm from." Charlie said.

"Interesting." Rosie took a seat. "Where are you from exactly?"

"Nowhere important." She answered. "Just some far off place, near the sea."

"And how did you meet Beth?"

"We met on the beach. That's where we normally spend time together. I swim a lot."

"Yes I'm sure you do." Rosie said with a knowing gleam in her eye. "I'm sure someone like you swims extremely often."

Charlie and Beth grew nervous.

"Beth." Rosie turned to the eleven year old, who now suddenly felt like she had been caught doing something bad and was about to be punished. "I think I would like to have a word with you in the backroom."

"Why?"

"Oh I was hoping that maybe you could help me look for something in there. A certain 'bottle' of mine that went missing."

Beth gulped when she realized that Rosie was now on to her.

"I...I...I..." She stammered. "Do we have to have this little talk now?"

"No. We could always have later when Alastor comes back, though I'm certain he'll want to know the details."

Beth stood up from her chair.

"In the back you said?"

Rosie then lightly urged Beth along into the other room. Charlie would have followed but Alastor was returning to the table and she had a feeling that she should probably keep the man from knowing about that private chat.

"Where's Beth?" He asked placing three glasses of ice water the table.

"Bathroom." Charlie lied.

"Alright."

He took a seat and she proceeded to distract him with a conversation about sea mammals. She hoped that she'd be able to keep his interest until Beth came back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.9K 447 7
charlastor is a love story between a princess and a serial killer MY TWO FAVORITE THINGS! ;3 (cover art by the amazing nitemilia on Twitter) I'd like...
2.7K 25 18
You may have seen Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid or heard of the older turn of events from the desk Hans Christian Andersen. However, both of these...
48.6K 1.1K 50
~A/N: I suck at summaries but I promise it's worth to check out!~ Charlie has the impression that this is her first time meeting the famous Radio Ove...
14K 455 21
He killed her kind but he would never let anyone harm her Jacob Holland x Siren!OC "The Sea Beast" fanfiction